Quintessential Anesthesia Articles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to pick 3 of the most important/informative articles pertaining to anesthesia, what would they be and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my all time favorite medical article: Why Most Published Research Findings Are False.

Wikipedia said:
Ioannidis's 2005 paper "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False"[5] has been the most downloaded technical paper from the journal PLoS Medicine.[8] A profile of his work in this area appears in the November 2010 issue of The Atlantic.[9]The Atlantic article notes Ioannidis analyzed "49 of the most highly regarded research findings in medicine over the previous 13 years". In the paper Ioannidis compared the 45 studies that claimed to have uncovered effective interventions with data from subsequent studies with larger sample sizes: 7 (16%) of the studies were contradicted, 7 (16%) the effects were smaller than in the initial study and 31 (68%) of the studies remained either unchallenged or the findings could not be replicated.[5]
That's also why I don't do research, and I generally ignore any findings I cannot replicate clinically. As in "nitrous oxide produces severe nausea". Yeah, sure; research also shows that grandma was a virgin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user