Quit Job or Stick It Out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clemsonbioengineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the 2016 application cycle (both MD and DO programs). I graduated undergrad last year in bioengineering, have completed all of the pre-reqs, and have taken the MCAT. I've been working in biomedical sales since graduation.

I feel that I could improve my application with more volunteering and shadowing experiences; however, my current full time position makes that difficult, as I'm sure some of you know. My current position is terrible. I don't feel like I am making a difference, most of my work is alone at a desk, and my colleagues do not welcome me - almost to the point where I feel they may let me go. This is mostly because I am ~15 to 20 years younger than the average person working here. The only upside is that I am paid well and can easily save for future medical school expenses. This job also does give me work experience in the medical industry - which I feel is good for a med school application.

I have applied and been offered part-time work in patient care at a renowned spinal cord injury hospital. I would have more time for shadowing and volunteering, and the work is directly related to medical school. However, I would be paid very little - barely enough to get by.

My question is: would it serve me better to stay at my current position? Or leave and take the part-time work? Which would look better on my application? Does jumping jobs look bad? Is it worth it to take the hit financially for 1.5 years before school?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, consider establishing a strong relationship with one of your directors/managers. A strong letter of recommendation from your full-time job (if you choose to stick it out) can speak volumes about your ability to interact with co-workers/customers (people who will potentially become your patient population), or how you function in a collaborative setting with different business units. Spend a couple days, meditate on a strategy and what's most important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you canadianinusa and HarryH00d. This is very helpful.

An LOR from my current employer would probably not be possible. They would not support me leaving the company. If they knew I was applying to med school I would be let go because they can certainly find someone else that will invest in the company long term.

I am not low on volunteering and shadowing, but definitely lower. I could fit it into my current schedule, but it would just be limited. Does anyone have advice on shadowing when working full time? Are some doctors flexible with when you can shadow? Weekends? -sorry if this is a dumb question haha

I have applied to other full time jobs. Jobs are hard to come by nowadays for recent undergrads in bioengineering though. I would definitely keep applying and hopefully something comes up in the event that I don't get into med school this cycle.

I'm in a similar situation, with a not so fun, but good paying and flexible job that I've been at for 6 years now, and am high up on the ladder at our hospital. I'm going to school as well, so I feel the crunch of time with shadowing, volunteering, etc...and I work in the hospital system that is my #1 school, so I feel ya. I've often weighed the option of leaving to just do school and work on my app, but for me I just couldn't do it because of my life situation. Married, own a home, have 2 monster dogs that cost about as much as a child. I made the decision to stick it out, but was backed up a bit on it from talking to our med schools admissions folks; their input; a steady job while going to school is a big plus on the application. It's kind of like the discussion of "should I shadow, or should I volunteer, or should I do more research" and the answer unequivocally is do what is important to you. As long as you have enough hours to demonstrate that you know what being a doctor is actually all about (the reason for shadowing), and have some volunteer hours, then you'll be fine.

And just my opinion, but I would be out the door so fast if I were working somewhere that wouldn't write a LOR for me. If the place doesn't support you, then why should you be there. That just shows there is no reason they aren't going to randomly can you anyway if they don't care.