Quit Job Without Notice - Consequences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGLoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to medical school soon and I'm unsure if a part-time job I quit without notice in college will have any consequence on my application. At the time I knew nothing of professional courtesy.

I don't plan to list them as a reference, though I do plan to list it as an EC. The job consisted of making phone calls and interviewing patients in a hospital. I did this for nearly 2 years.

Do applications require contact information for ECs and, if so, do med schools use them? Will this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

It will make it harder for you to get another job in the near future.

You do need to list contact information with your ECs, however they are rarely checked unless something seems fishy.
Even then they usually only usually check for the information you list (hours, duties, etc)
I doubt it will have any impact on your med school application

Is there any reason you can't give two weeks notice?

It will make it harder for you to get another job in the near future.

I doubt it will have any impact on your med school application

Is there any reason you can't give two weeks notice?
This is a job I quit a few years ago in college (I'm a non-trad). I've had a number of jobs since then.

I didn't give two weeks notice because I didn't know better at the time.

So med schools don't contact previous employers not listed as a reference on the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a job I quit a few years ago in college (I'm a non-trad). I've had a number of jobs since then.

I didn't give two weeks notice because I didn't know any better at the time.
Then you should be fine.

No one will know, or care to investigate. Pretty much ever.

If you were going to use them as a reference, that would be another matter. But you clearly have never had employees of your own. People quitting without notice, sometimes in the middle of the work day, is a thing that happens. Yes, it is bad form, but other than making for a few days of office gossip no one cares. It isn't going to follow you forever. There is no secret file with this info tucked away in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Understood. Thank you for the quick responses!

No one will know, or care to investigate. Pretty much ever.

If you were going to use them as a reference, that would be another matter. But you clearly have never had employees of your own. People quitting without notice, sometimes in the middle of the work day, is a thing that happens. Yes, it is bad form, but other than making for a few days of office gossip no one cares. It isn't going to follow you forever. There is no secret file with this info tucked away in it.

How naive. The NSA is everywhere, dear!

Reactions: 1 users
I may be a terrible influence. I've certainly quit a couple of jobs with little or no notice. The second time I quit Starbucks, it was because I was inappropriately touched by the regional manager one too many times, and I took off my green apron and threw it at him and stormed out during a rush. They are lucky that didn't come with a side of sexual harassment lawsuit. And just before med school I left a job of several years on zero notice when I had a family emergency that required my undivided attention.

Quit fussing. You're fine.

I didn't give two weeks notice because I didn't know better at the time.

So med schools don't contact previous employers not listed as a reference on the application?

I almost quit a job without notice because I didn't know what 2 weeks meant. Even though I apologized profusely, I have not ever sought out my top supervisor for a LOR or anything since, I go to other ones.