Quiting Full-Time Job to become Full-Time Post-Bacc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briy61

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone quit a full-time job with a salary to become a full-time post-bacc with a loan?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone quit a full-time job with a salary to become a full-time post-bacc with a loan?
Yes. It's painful to move from a good paycheck to a bad loan.

I'd recommend it. You have one shot at this. Focus.

I gave up my cushy, full time job and home in sunny, Southern California for an informal post-bacc program in the cold, East Coast. Was it worth it? Only time will tell. On the other hand, I fully support and recommend going all the way when it comes to manifesting your dream. :D

Likewise. I left a great job (with great perks I might add) as an art director for a snowboarding magazine (we took "business" trips to places like Aspen and the Olympics) and have no regrets. I've been doing prereqs since June of this year and I'm about ready to start a formal program after the New Year. The bill just came in the mail yesterday...I nearly choked.

Its an investment. At this point, I feel like I owe it to myself to give it a real shot.

I gave away everything to do my post-bacc...
$75K salary,
profit-sharing,
super med benefits,
plush apartment,
not to mention a great position in a growing company.

What can I say? I love the pain.

I gave up a cushy job in pharmaceuticals to go full-time to a formal program. It was a lot of pressure because you only have one shot. Fortunately, it worked for me (after endless hours of studying), and I was accepted at Drexel College of Med.

If you do it, it will be hard. You have to make a commitment and stick to it. I did it with a wife and two kids, so it is possible. Plus, med schools like to see you make the commitment to full-time status. It shows them you know what you want and also that you can handle a full load of science courses.

I am quitting my great, full time job and doing a one-year masters this coming august. Yes, losing a nice paycheck sucks. But the experience Im getting now coupled w a masters will definitly get me in somewhere. Also, it sucks because every dollar I save now is just going to be spent when Im in school studying for ten months but hey in my mind this masters will pay for itself plus school is a lot more fun.

I also gave up a full time job to go to a 1 year full-time SMP program. I miss my job, but at the same time, I'm definitely heading towards my goal.

I am going to leave a 175k job, full benefits, stock options the whole 9 for the post bac starting this summer.....If this is what you want to do, then in the end the old job will not matter.

I'm planning to quit my full time teaching job as a cushy Special Education Resource Room teacher to go full time to an informal post-bacc (second bachelors) program. I don't know where yet.

It'll be kind of frightening to know that I won't have a salary and benefits. It would probably be more helpful to move out of New York City where I'm at now and pursue school in a city or small town with a very low cost of living. At this point I'm willing to do whatever it takes to become a physician.

yup i did, left a clinical research associate job. took out an $18,000 dollar loan, the program was more expensive than that, but the rest is coming from my savings. it was definately worth it for me though. and its good incentive to work your hinney off too, because you know you are paying a hefty tag for this opportunity...:laugh:

I left a crappy under $30,000 job managing a starbucks to go back to school. It wasn't too hard of a decision to make.