Quitting a research position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

th3noose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a dilemma. I am currently working(paid and part time) at a research facility in NYC. I started as a volunteer and got offered this position. Unfortunately, my role in the project will end soon and I will have to return to my previous state of helping out with data entry and the rest of the low-tier stuff. I knew this was a temporary position when I accepted the offer, but I am reconsidering it because I got offered a tutoring/teaching position at a local college. I am very interested in research, but I do not feel my time is best spend volunteering there. My other research experience lasted for 1.5 years but I had to leave because I graduate from the nearby university.

Would it be acceptable to simply quit this position after having committed for a 8 months only?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yea that's perfectly fine. 8 months is plenty of time, just tell them that you have too much to do and need to cut back.

Would it be acceptable to simply quit this position after having committed for a 8 months only?

Sure. First, 8 months is not THAT short, it's not like you're quitting after a week. And second, as you say yourself, your role in the project is ending. I don't think anyone expects you to take a demotion (and a 100% pay cut) because you've completed your part of the project. Take the teaching gig, that'll be a great experience too.