Quitting Gap Year Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freefirstaidkid21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
I know this question has been asked before, but I thought I would ask again as each situation is different. I am currently taking a gap year, and I began doing research full time in July. I have learned a ton through my experience and I enjoy the people I work with. Recently, though, I have been having difficulty with my mentor (he is a post-doc).
My question is: Would it be okay for me to quit my experience at the end of December and move back home? I moved across the country for this experience, and I am just not loving my time here (disliking it actually). More so, one of my parents has stage IV cancer and it has been difficult being away from them. Would it be acceptable to kindly step down from my position in December and move back home? I would find some sort of job and would volunteer much more than I currently am. In addition, I would probably sign up for a higher level biology course (most likely genetics).
I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake by stopping my internship. I have interviewed at 4 schools thus far and have 3 more interviews lined up. Should I call the schools and see what they think about me quitting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually I would tell you to have a sit down with your mentor and work things out. But with your parent having stage IV cancer, I say go home. I'm sure that med schools would understand, and it probably wouldn't require an update.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools have certain conditions that applicants have to meet prior towards matriculating. Generally speaking, these are conditions that require an applicant to finish whatever degree they were in the process of obtaining.

While I would check with schools on an individual basis if you are accepted, generally speaking, you should be fine quitting this experience at any point after you've interviewed. You aren't obligated to inform schools about this (fitting since many schools even discourage applicants from sending updates) unless it's made apparent in the terms of your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go home. I would be surprised if your acceptances hinged on this research position.

Acceptances won't weigh this heavily, if at all. Give your notice as soon as you can and head home. Figure out if you are required to give a certain notice, if not I still suggest two weeks and then grin and bear being given the short end of the stick for two weeks

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am thinking about staying on until December or January.

Do you think it would be good for me to update schools and tell them that I will be taking a genetics course and volunteering with a local group back home?

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am thinking about staying on until December or January.

Do you think it would be good for me to update schools and tell them that I will be taking a genetics course and volunteering with a local group back home?

not unless genetics is a requirement for the school. everyone who is applying is volunteering so that isn't update-worthy.

if genetics is a requirement for matriculation and you did not have it listed on "planned coursework", then it may be update-worthy. might be best to just call and ask the schools where it is a requirement and ask them if they would like a formal update letter for that. if the school doesn't require it, don't bother letting them know, IMO.