Quitting my job (not showing up for my shift)- Pharmacy Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyakuu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working for CVS for nearly a year and a half now. I find this line of work extremely stressful and am considering the option of dropping out. If I were to quit my job as a pharm. tech by not showing up for work (No letter of resignation or a phone call), would there be any legal repercussions that I may have to face? (ex. paying for the missed shifts or all the training I was given etc.) I work at a store located in Boston, MA. So, if anyone knows or have experienced such a process, please do guide me.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working for CVS for nearly a year and a half now. I find this line of work extremely stressful and am considering the option of dropping out. If I were to quit my job as a pharm. tech by not showing up for work (No letter of resignation or a phone call), would there be any legal repercussions that I may have to face? (ex. paying for the missed shifts or all the training I was given etc.) I work at a store located in Boston, MA. So, if anyone knows or have experienced such a process, please do guide me.

No. But why not just call at least? You scared?

My boss/pharm. manager is a really considerate person and my co-workers are a friendly bunch to boot. But when it comes down to altering a shift or schedule, they become overly sensitive. So if I were to call......No, you know what? I am, I am scared, indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just give two weeks notice like every normal person would...

My boss/pharm. manager is a really considerate person and my co-workers are a friendly bunch to boot. But when it comes down to altering a shift or schedule, they become overly sensitive. So if I were to call......No, you know what? I am, I am scared, indeed.

Give your 2 weeks and you'll be fine. Sorry but you have the courage to do this. Your going to face a lot more difficult in life. I use to work for CVS too. Stop feeling bad for them. They will find someday to replace you within the week.

Are you crazy? lol

youll need these people to write your LORs. also I know schools that sometimes call past employers. If you leave on a bad note, it will negatively impact your admissions chances.

if you gotta go you gotta go, employers understand that. in 2012 I switched between 5 full time jobs. Sometimes only working 4 weeks before telling them Im quitting. just man up and tell them, trust me, youll have to deal with much tougher situations later on than just telling someone you are quitting.

Last thing you want to do is make them think you shady dipped. they will much rather want you to be straightforward and resigning rather than getting "fired: by not showing up.

It bothers me lol. Think about what they will tell your pharm school. "This applicant randomly shady dips and doesn't show up on shifts":eek: Im a tech too, CVS techs got it hard.

Are you crazy? lol

youll need these people to write your LORs. also I know schools that sometimes call past employers. If you leave on a bad note, it will negatively impact your admissions chances.

if you gotta go you gotta go, employers understand that. in 2012 I switched between 5 full time jobs. Sometimes only working 4 weeks before telling them Im quitting. just man up and tell them, trust me, youll have to deal with much tougher situations later on than just telling someone you are quitting.

Last thing you want to do is make them think you shady dipped. they will much rather want you to be straightforward and resigning rather than getting "fired: by not showing up.

It bothers me lol. Think about what they will tell your pharm school. "This applicant randomly shady dips and doesn't show up on shifts":eek: Im a tech too, CVS techs got it hard.

I agree. Quitting and not telling anyone would be burning a huge bridge. And it's really not how you should go about doing things in life, whether it's social or professional.

You need to be professional because you never know if you'll need them in the future.

You've made it a year and a half, so you can definitely make it another two weeks in order to give your notice and quit in a manner that won't burn your bridges. Be gracious to your employer, even if the place sucks the life and soul out of you. As pharmacists and professors tell me every day, pharmacy is a small world. You may think you'll never need a reference or a job from them, but you can never be too careful.

Last edited:
Hi Hyakuu..

I just want to say hang in there! I also work at CVS and I know the past couple weeks have been really tough. If you absolutely have to quit put in your two weeks notice, don't throw your time away! :) But really, I would give it a couple weeks and things won't be nearly as bad as they have been. Not sure about where you live but with the BCBS processing changes and the flu shot epidemic it's been quite horrifying! (And the computer outages/updates) It's already getting better though and by February it will just be a bad memory.

Good luck,
kohana

Hi Hyakuu..

I just want to say hang in there! I also work at CVS and I know the past couple weeks have been really tough. If you absolutely have to quit put in your two weeks notice, don't throw your time away! :) But really, I would give it a couple weeks and things won't be nearly as bad as they have been. Not sure about where you live but with the BCBS processing changes and the flu shot epidemic it's been quite horrifying! (And the computer outages/updates) It's already getting better though and by February it will just be a bad memory.

Good luck,
kohana

Good point. Last Friday we gave 90 flu shots and filled 900 scripts. Can't get much worse.

Wow, pathetic. I mean, I could see if you were 16 and working at a fast food place, but grow up.

If you're going to pharmacy school its in your best interest to stay with CVS so you can be an intern with them. Finding an intern position can be challenging especially if you go to a city with multiple pharmacy schools nearby.

I wouldn't quit unless you know for sure you're not going into retail.

This is the height of unprofessionalism.