Quote of the Day

I just realized that we (HSDN) are kinda sadly pathetic. There are like 8 people on right now here, and like 260 people in pre-med allopathic and like 50 people in med allopathic....and we are undergrads + high school students. Wow....Anyway, 3 days till exams....urgh

"We love the things we love for what they are."
― Robert Frost

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent"
― Victor Hugo

"You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts."
― Kahlil Gibran

Members don't see this ad.

"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."
― Scott Westerfeld

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."
― Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Math Exam tomorrow...so only 1 quote today :(

"Empty vessels make the most noise. -- Those people who have a little knowledge usually talk the most and make the greatest fuss."

Members don't see this ad :)
1/4 Exams done :) Only three more to go....

"Start worrying about your own dreams. They are unique and undeniably yours for a reason. They are showing you, and at the same time compelling you, tomake the most of your life. It is not selfish to be your very best. What's selfish is to let your enormous potential go unrealized.
What have you always wanted to know, always wanted to do, and always wanted to be? It is never too late to honestly answer that question, and the answer to that question is your own truly beautiful and unique gift to the world. Because when you fulfill your greatest possibilities, you raise the whole world up with you."

" Don't look down on someone unless your helping him or her up."

"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. "

Exams are postponed till Thursday!!! Are you kidding me! First ever "snow day gone wrong"....Stupid Canadian weather.....URGH!!!! I know, I know, an "extra day" to study. But seriously, I have to study for tomorrow's exam, and then on Wednesday go back to restudy and re-review for Thursday...And my 6 day week off, is now only 4 days....:(

"War is what happens when language fails."
― Margaret Atwood

***hiding in a corner****

How bad is it?? Am I able to leave my safe haven? Or will I need to employ one of the docs on this site to "help me"? Sorry about the long, long, long, loooooonnnnnggggg wait....Here are my excuses: I had my exams - which were all moved around and messed up, and then went on an impromptu vacation....

So...here are the long overdue quotes: (for 6 days)

"Beauty to me is about being comfortable in your own skin.That, or a kick ass red lipstick."
- Gwyneth Paltrow

"The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look natural."
- Calvin Klein

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."

"Beauty is power; a smile is it's sword."
- Charles Reade

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Better make it six, I can't eat eight."
- Dan Osinski, Baseball player, being asked by a waitress if he wanted his pizza cut into six or eight slices

"Fiction writing is great, you can make up almost anything."
- Ivana Trump, on her first novel

My personal fave....

"Please do not feed the animals. If you have any suitable food, give it to the guard on duty."
- Sign in Budapest Zoo

My average this semester makes me wanna just stay in my little bubble of denial.....

"Along with success comes a reputation for wisdom."
-- Euripides

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed."
-- Richard Brinsley Sheridan

If only patients were as resilient as this thread.

This thread will never die.

If only patients were as resilient as this thread.

This thread will never die.
lol....thanks....It's hard to post stuff up everyday, but I'm trying my best....anyways, this is for the three days I missed (plus today)

"Be like the flower
who even gives its fragrance
to the hand that crushes it"

—Imam Ali

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
--Henry David Thoreau

"Victory belongs to the most persevering."
--Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I want to read a novel, I write one."
--Benjamin Disraeli

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
--Galileo Galilei

Report Cards tomorrow....though it might be a snow day...16-25 cm of snow!!!!

You're slacking.
I am...it's true...I really am....but today I was able to post it so early because it is a SNOW DAY!!!!! and there's like 20 cm of snow outside + its still snowing....(cuz it's a snow storm)...so I have a 3 day long weekend this weekend, and next weekend I have a 4 day long weekend (cuz of our P.A. Day and Family day) :) So three weeks of school for only 4 days!!!!! :)

"When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life."

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
- Herm Albright

"Happiness is:
1. Falling in love.
2. Laughing so hard your face hurts.
3. A hot shower.
4. No lines at the supermarket.
5. A special glance.
6. Getting mail.
7. Taking a drive on a pretty road.
8. Hearing your favourite song on the radio.
9. Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.
10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.
11. Chocolate milkshake ... (or vanilla ... or strawberry!)
12. A bubble bath.
13. Giggling.
14. A good conversation.
15. The beach
16. Finding a 20-pound note in your coat from last winter.
17. Laughing at yourself.
18. Eye contact with a hot member of the opposite sex.
19. Midnight phone calls that last for hours.
20. Running through sprinklers.
21. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.
22. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful/good looking.
23. Laughing at an inside joke.
24. Friends.
25. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.
26. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep.
27. Your first kiss (either the very first or with a new partner).
28. Making new friends or spending time with old ones.
29. Playing with a new puppy.
30. Having someone play with your hair.
31. Sweet dreams.
32. Hot chocolate.
33. Road trips with friends.
34. Swinging on swings.
35. Making eye contact with a cute stranger.
36. Making chocolate chip cookies (and eating them...!).
37. Having your friends send you homemade cookies.
38. Holding hands with someone you care about.
39. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change.
40. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much-desired present from you.
41. Watching the sunrise.
42. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.
43. Knowing that somebody misses you.
44. Getting a hug from someone you care about deeply.
45. Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think."

Members don't see this ad :)
"All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring mind."
~ Martin H. Fischer

"People get addicted to smoking and drugs after a few days; we have been studying for our whole lives...how are we not addicted to that yet?"

lol...I absolutely love that quote...b/c IT IS SOOO TRUE!!!

"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."
-- Aster and Richter Abend

"Cowardly Lion: Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?
Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Woodsman: Courage!
Cowardly Lion: You can say that again! Hunh!"

-- Yip Harburg

Cm, are you Canadian or something?
Yeah...I am....you couldn't tell from my previous posts about my Canadian-ness??? lol....

Actually, it wasn't even 20 cm, we measured it and it was around 60-70 cm.....it was insane!!! And so much fun! We hadn't had that much snow in 8 years...the last time was in 2005....

On with the quote of the day....

"Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper in sinks into the mind."
-- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather."
--John Ruskin

"Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood."
-- Andy Goldsworthy

"A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running"
Groucho Marx

Watch when futuresurgeon00 becomes a Pre-Medical student he's going to move this to the pre-allo forum. There will be thousands of quotes. :laugh:

Watch when futuresurgeon00 becomes a Pre-Medical student he's going to move this to the pre-allo forum. There will be thousands of quotes. :laugh:

If he does I will start one here.

Hmm....What made you decide I was male? What if I'm female? Or I could be male? Just wondering. For curiosity's sake...

"I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it"
― Thomas Jefferson

"Risk means '**** happens' or 'good luck"
― Toba Beta

"Here's the thing about luck...you don't know if it's good or bad until you have some perspective."
― Alice Hoffman

In a year and a half...this will be moved to the pre-allo forum....b/c I will be pre-med then....

"Happiness is not limited. There's enough for everyone."
― Susane Colasanti

"FACTS

Fact #1 Mean people suck.
Fact #2 Bad things happen to good people.
Fact #3 Good doesn't always prevail over evil."

― Susane Colasanti

"We're products of our choices."
― Susane Colasanti

"If I'd stopped believing that my life would eventually get better, I don't think I would have survived high school."
― Susane Colasanti

I got my report card today...and I converted it to G.P.A.....my grades and my report card is pathetic...I'm getting a 3.6 - unweighted? it's out of 4....so I think it's unweighted...but, I'm not really sure what that means....I'll be lucky if I end up in community college here.....

Last edited:
So....I'm meeting with my guidance councellor tom, to "discuss my future." I need to talk about course selection, and grades and my career path....I've mostly chosen my next year's courses, and if I finish my gr.11 and gr.12 world history - i'm taking what you would call the "AP" version of it....apparently all the courses I've taken even this semester and last semester are "AP"....So far, I've decided English (mandatory), religion (mandatory), bio, chem, french, bio physics & bio chem (a new course our school is offering - for pre-med students) and hopefully, a spare!

Sorry for the ranting...I'm opening up a new thread - a rant thread on hSDN...I checked and we don't have one...so I'm making one, after I post up today's quotes:

"The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open."
― Chuck Palahniuk

"Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?"
― George Carlin

"She handed him a glass of water and two Aleve gelcaps. "They're anti-inflammatories. They will dull the pain a little bit and keep down swelling and redness. Swallow the pills, don't chew."
"Well, I thought I'd stick them into my nose and impersonate a walrus, but if you insist, I'll swallow them."

― Ilona Andrews

"Surgeons can cut out everything except cause."
― Herbert M. Shelton

"Disease is the biggest money maker in our economy."
― John H. Tobe

"I think the key indicator for wealth is not good grades, work ethic, or IQ. I believe it's relationships. Ask yourself two questions: How many people do I know, and how much ransom money could I get for each one?"
― Jarod Kintz

"Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a bus."
― Françoise Sagan

"Money isn't everything...but it ranks right up there with oxygen."
― Rita Davenport

"Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it."
― J.K. Rowling

"Turn your wounds into wisdom."
― Oprah Winfrey

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."
― Lance Armstrong

Why the pain quotes - I have carpal tunnel.....

"An apple a day will keep anyone away, as long as you throw it hard enough"
(I absolutely love that quote!)

"Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan."
- Star Wars

I can't even talk to you right now.
Oh no......now what shall I do????

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
- Plato

"Be in love with your life. Every minute of it."
- Jack Kerouac

"I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again. So I changed."

My fave from today:

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing – that's why we recommend it daily."
- Zig Ziglar

clap.gif

"You gotta be true to yourself because if you let what others do influence what you do you really have nothing left of yourself."
- Layne Norton

"For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one."
― John Lennon

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind."
― Mahatma Gandhi

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."
― Albert Einstein

Hmm....What made you decide I was male? What if I'm female? Or I could be male? Just wondering. For curiosity's sake...

Because males tend to gravitate towards surgical specialties.

If I knew you were a female beforehand I would've drove up to Canada just to give you roses for valentine's day. :naughty: :laugh:

It's illegal for me to drive out of my own state since I don't really have a full license.... Oh well. :rolleyes:

Because males tend to gravitate towards surgical specialties.

If I knew you were a female beforehand I would've drove up to Canada just to give you roses for valentine's day. :naughty: :laugh:

It's illegal for me to drive out of my own state since I don't really have a full license.... Oh well. :rolleyes:

Hmm....vaguely sexist :p, kinda sweet, :rolleyes:and totally apple-polishing :thumbup: (did I get that right? I totally love that phrase - it makes me lol :) ).....

Last edited:
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

"The interesting thing about life experiences is that the actual lesson learned doesn't come until after the fact."
-- Oketa Ojok

"You have to have a bad day every once in a while... otherwise you'll never know what a good day feels like."

"Keep your head high, keep your chin up, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."

"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

"The interesting thing about life experiences is that the actual lesson learned doesn't come until after the fact."
-- Oketa Ojok

"You have to have a bad day every once in a while... otherwise you'll never know what a good day feels like."

"Keep your head high, keep your chin up, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
Hey do you mind if I occasionally throw in random quotes?

-- Oketa Ojok

Very motivational.

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
-- Charlie Chaplin

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
-- Kurt Vonnegut

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
-- Charlie Chaplin

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
-- Kurt Vonnegut

I like the first one. Scrubs.

"But the person who scored well on an SAT will not necessarily be the best doctor or the best lawyer or the best businessman. These tests do not measure character, leadership, creativity, perseverance."
-- William Julius Wilson

"People pay the doctor for his trouble; for his kindness they still remain in his debt".
~Seneca

"It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class."

"We must not say every mistake is a foolish one."
- Cicero

"Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on?"
- Peter McWilliams

"Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave."
- Mary Tyler Moore

"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous."
- Alexander Hamilton

"Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
- Muhammad Ali

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar."
- Robert Brault

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you."
- Roger Ebert

"I've said things and meant them, but I'm obviously a very confused person who has no idea how they feel about things."
- Sienna Miller

"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."
- Tom Peters

"Letting go doesn't mean that you don't care about someone anymore. It's just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself."
― Deborah Reber

"Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery."
― J.K. Rowling

"Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her."
― Lao Tzu

“Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
― Lao Tzu

Love this one. Good work on this thread :thumbup:

"A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power."
- George Meredith

"Treasure your relationships, not your possessions."
- Anthony J. D'Angelo

"A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

"Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does."

"A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write."

"The best is yet to come."

"No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up."

"If you don't ask, you don't get."

"You are somebody's reason to smile."

"If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored."

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon."

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."

Today felt totally....random...

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
― George Carlin

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world."
― Voltaire

"After all, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels."
― Ann Richards

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul"
― Martha Graham

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance."
― Oprah Winfrey

"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
― Eckhart Tolle