Quoted: Dental app-mentioning troubled past

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was previously involved in a domestic abuse situation that lasted for nearly two years. It was the most hellish ordeal of my life and caused my grades to suffer tremendously my final year in college. I took time off from school in order to get my life back in order, get counseling, etc.

Now as I complete AADSAS, I see that there is a question which asks "Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?". I wonder if it is in my best interest to mention my experience in this part of the application.

Although it is the truth, I'm scared that schools may think I'm just creating an excuse for my poor grades. I don't want to give them a reason to reject me.

I've already written my PS and didn't address my past there, but I'm wondering if it will come up eventually? Will it look like I'm not accepting responsibility for my performance and just simply placing blame? Is there a way for me to tactfully address it without going into specifics? Or would mentioning just give the adcoms free reign to bring this up in interviews?

Help please.

I can't help you related to dental application. To answer the question related to medical school applications (recognizing there may be some differences in how dental schools handle these issues), the answer is that it wouldn't be perceived as excuse making. However, what you write can be discussed. Often times, especially if you don't wish to really discuss what happened, it can be best to be vague. Nonetheless, I encourage you to think about whether you are willing to discuss this - because even if you word it vaguely, in the course of the conversation, an interviewer may probe close to details of what happened.

Best of luck. Hopefully some dental applicants or moderators will see this and answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

I am so sorry to hear of the op's past domestic abuse situation. I am a dental applicant (no seasoned pro here so these are just my humble 2 cents!) and these are my thoughts:

In response to this question, I would briefly mention the difficult situation you were in (especially if there is a sudden decline in your senior year grades) and then go onto focus how you overcame it. Focus on the positive - which is how strong you were to overcome this!!

I don't think they will think of it as making excuses - but rather facing a challenge in life and overcoming it :) Wish you all the best!

I can't help you related to dental application. To answer the question related to medical school applications (recognizing there may be some differences in how dental schools handle these issues), the answer is that it wouldn't be perceived as excuse making. However, what you write can be discussed. Often times, especially if you don't wish to really discuss what happened, it can be best to be vague. Nonetheless, I encourage you to think about whether you are willing to discuss this - because even if you word it vaguely, in the course of the conversation, an interviewer may probe close to details of what happened.

Best of luck. Hopefully some dental applicants or moderators will see this and answer.

It would be helpful to have your counsellor write a short letter commenting on what happened in the past, how it may have affected you and how far you've progressed since that period in life.