Quoted: Mental health problems as undergrad

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started college in 2004 and completed a semester and half. I was really depressed and basically quit everything. About a year later I started up at a community college and did well and felt like I was ready to return to my four year institution. So in I started the spring semester of 2007 at this college. Well, I have had a child since my freshman year and I wasnt able to deal with all the stress. So one day on my way to school I attempted suicide. Since then I spent time in the hospital and have undergone lots of treatment. I am set to return to school in the Fall of 2008, and I am wondering if I would ever be accepted to a medical school if my next 3 years are uneventful. Also, is there anything that i could do to help so them that I am able and passionate about become a doctor?

At this point, the most important thing is to continue to get well, return to college when you are ready and focus on yourself, your child and your schoolwork. If you are able to do well, then I am certain that medical or other professional schools will consider your application despite your mental health history.

Members don't see this ad.

I just posted here.. why isn't it showing up?

Dear responder:

You posted your response at X:29 AM (where X is 2,3,4, or 5) and then posted this question at X:34 AM. The reason your response at X:29 AM hadn't appeared at X:34 AM and won't appear are:

1. Each post here must be approved and I sleep during the night.
2. Your post was not helpful and as this is a moderated forum with specific posting guidelines, it was not posted. For a premed to tell another premed that they cannot/should not try to accomplish their goals is not what this forum is about. Not every post has to be completely supportive, but "you can't/shouldn't do it" posts can be best saved for the open forums of SDN. It may be appropriate to post specific advise on how to try to reach one's goals and when it might be worthwhile to consider taking another path.

I don't know so much about this particular situation, but I think it would depend on the severity of your previous condition. I have talked to the dean of our school about many questionable situations, such as severe alcoholism, drug abuse, and other addictions among students.

Basically, when an admissions committee looks back on your time in college after these events, they will want to see if you became a stable person, ie no more suicide attempts or extreme depression, and some evidence that you have put these things behind you and become more well-adjusted. They will want to see that you have addressed these problems, which it sounds like you are already doing by going to therapy. If you demonstrate that you have effectively dealt with these problems, you will be a much stronger candidate.