Quoted: multiple IA and med school admissions

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you are all terribly sick of responding to these posts, but I'm about losing my mind before submitting my amcas. Here's the deal:

I have a 3.45 oGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 3.81 postbaccGPA
MCAT: 35
Volunteer EMT for 4 yrs in undergrad
Worked for 4 years in a hospital, first clinically, now medical education
Great LORs from professors and physicians

Unfortunately, I have several IAs on file. I was written up on two occasions in my freshman year for smoking marijuana, receiving a disciplinary warning. At the end of my sophomore year, I was written up for drinking underage. Finally, in my junior year, one of guys I lived with got in trouble for taking a decoration from a common area and hanging it in our suite. I was actually out volunteering at the time, but everyone in the suite ended up getting written up for it, which placed me on disciplinary probation.

Having the advantage of 5-8 years of perspective, I can see these events as foolish indiscretions of my youth that I would not repeat and actually learned from. I'm concerned that an admissions committee will view any more than one IA as a deal breaker, regardless of how many years ago it was. Unlike a poor GPA or MCAT, I feel like this is something I cannot improve or 'redo.' Will my app even be considered?

There will be some med schools that will summarily reject you based on this many IAs. However, since it has been numerous years and you've done a lot of positive things since then, there will be, in my view, plenty that will give you a chance. The LORs will be key in getting you to the interview phase, the interview will be key in explaining these. Do not be defensive, just stick with the facts and move forward with the positives. Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad.

I concur with my colleague. it's improtant that you own your mistakes, and don't try to make excuses. I believe that most schools will see that the you of now is not the you of then.

There will be some med schools that will summarily reject you based on this many IAs. However, since it has been numerous years and you've done a lot of positive things since then, there will be, in my view, plenty that will give you a chance. The LORs will be key in getting you to the interview phase, the interview will be key in explaining these. Do not be defensive, just stick with the facts and move forward with the positives. Apply broadly.

Agreed. If you would like someone to read through your AMCAS IA/legal essay or need some help with putting together your app, send me a PM. I have some experience with handling this on applications and in interviews and would be happy to help :)