Quoted: petty theft and med school application

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28, trying to go into either med school or pharmacy school. I was convicted of a petty theft 10 years ago and got the charge expunged. I was young and naive, hanging out in the wrong crowd and got caught for shoplifting. This was the first year of college and my grades during the time reflect the bad choices I was making (2.9). I ended up making changes and graduating with honors in my econ department and overall cum gpa of over a 3.5. I am currently taking prerequisites and have been doing well and hope to have a overall/science gpa of around 3.65-3.7 when I apply.

Would I still have a fair chance of getting into school given that my stats are competitive enough? What can I do to improve my applications? I'm in California....do I have any chance of getting into a CA school? Which schools are more liberal about these issues? Thanks in advance for your response :]

I don't think this will be a big issue. The rest of your application including all of the usual premed things will be a lot more important. You might be asked about it, but 10 years later I don't think it will be a limiting factor. Can't speak about pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

If it has been expunged, doesn't that mean that it is off the record? As I recall from filling out some background forms, there was some specific language about things that may have happened that I don't have to mention, and if my memory serves me correctly, something that was expunged or unconditionally pardoned or something like that may not be something you are even required to report. Obviously I'm not a lawyer, but this was my general impression of such situations. I'd advise you to ask a lawyer what you actually have to disclose given that it was expunged. Even if you do have to disclose it, it seems like water under the bridge at this point 10 years later. Best of luck to you and may you encounter success and happiness in your profession and life.

Reactions: 1 user
We've admitted students with a minor crime like this in their background. The you of then is not the you of now, and we recognize that.

I don't think this will be a big issue. The rest of your application including all of the usual premed things will be a lot more important. You might be asked about it, but 10 years later I don't think it will be a limiting factor. Can't speak about pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 user