R/O ACS - 1 trop then treadmill test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LobsterMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering the logic behind ruling out ACS with 1 negative troponin then straight to a treadmill test (no second troponin). I was on shift yesterday and my attending suggested this, and while it seems reasonable, I have never seen it done before. Do any of you practice this way and care to comment on the reasoning/physiology behind this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was just wondering the logic behind ruling out ACS with 1 troponin then straight to a treadmill test (no second troponin). I was on shift yesterday and my attending suggested this, and while it seems reasonable, I have never seen it done before. Do any of you practice this way and care to comment on the reasoning/physiology behind this?
It makes perfect sense. By sending the hot chest pain (level 5) over for an immediate treadmill test, you cause them to arrest which allows you to respond to the code and thereby get to bill the rare "triple double" (critical plus modifier 25 and add on CPR charge) thereby increasing your rvu's and converting a routine floor admission into more profitable, prolonged ICU stay which keeps the CEO and therefore your CMG employer happy, and which pads the hospital's collections for the quarter, while avoiding any chance of a < 72 hr bounce back, which would upset the CFO. Also, since it's an admission, you have perfected an end around any Press Ganey blowback. Geez, get with the program, man.

(Just kidding. Cynical satire used to illustrate the absurdity of our medical systems perverse incentives.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If it's constant pain and the pain has been present for six+ hours, there's no need for a second troponin. Or if it's intermittent pain, and the most recent pain was six+ hours ago, there's no need for second troponin.

But if the pain began an hour ago, I would do the second troponin at 6 hrs and then do the stress test.

Members don't see this ad :)
all the research shows that literally there is no case of troponins not being present 4 hours after onset of chest pain assuming a few exclusion criteria arent triggered. Just to be safe, in case the patient cant tell time (none of them can), many espouse 6 houts. So in practice it ends up being a TIMI score <2 and 6 hours or more of pain = one troponin rule out since they are relatively low cardiac risk and have definitely passed the threshold for "no way they're not making troponins by now if its real".

We dont send to treadmill at my shop, but that its own bag of worms that our EBM docs battle with the cardiologists almost daily. The compromise we reached was that anyone we rule out does not need a stress test (because its a useless test of no f***ing merit), and everyone we send to obs gets a stress test in 24 hours so that 100% of them get an intervention since the positive test rate on people with enough risk factors to get sent to obs is something like 85% despite actual coronary artery issues of any significant amout being like 5% in that same population.

I had a cardiologist insist on stressing a positive troponin chest pain. My spinchter was pretty tight on that shift...the worst part is that he came back to the ED with a "normal stress". I was 110% sure he was acs. So I am trying to figure out where I can transfer him. Cards comes back and decides to take him to the cath lab and ends up stenting his 95% LAD.

To adress the original question I have sent many peoole for stress tests after one troponin with no ill effects but as was said earlier you must respect the chronological limits of the test and consider the timing of the patients symptoms.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a cardiologist insist on stressing a positive troponin chest pain. My spinchter was pretty tight on that shift...the worst part is that he came back to the ED with a "normal stress". I was 110% sure he was acs. So I am trying to figure out where I can transfer him. Cards comes back and decides to take him to the cath lab and ends up stenting his 95% LAD.

To adress the original question I have sent many peoole for stress tests after one troponin with no ill effects but as was said earlier you must respect the chronological limits of the test and consider the timing of the patients symptoms.
As I am prone to saying (as I recall from Robbins Pathology, now 17 years later), it is somewhere between 30% and 50%, but probably closer to 50%, the people whose first indication that they have cardiac trouble is sudden cardiac death (death within the first hour of symptoms) - the first time 1 out of 2 people find out they have heart trouble is when they drop dead.

Some cardiologists are like that, and it's like some of those issues where, "If you have to ask, you already have your answer". Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, but "luck" comes from being good (in other words, it's an illusion coming from unrealized but present skill and talent).

I have had a pt die from a stemi a few months ago. According to his cardiologist he passed his exercise stress test 4 days ago.

Not exactly a perfect test.

If it's constant pain and the pain has been present for six+ hours, there's no need for a second troponin. Or if it's intermittent pain, and the most recent pain was six+ hours ago, there's no need for second troponin.

But if the pain began an hour ago, I would do the second troponin at 6 hrs and then do the stress test.

To be devil's advocate, your one troponin if the pain has been there for 6 hours isn't quite protection. It's entirely possible that the patient has been having unstable angina for 3 days and progressed to their NSTEMI five minutes ago. I've seen plenty of people where their second troponin was positive after their first one was negative... even if they'd been having sx for significantly more than a few hours. Obviously, you can't call for every chest pain, but with enough risk factors? I wouldn't argue with that admission.

As for the utility of the stress test, it depends on the kind of stress test. A exercise stress EKG has a sensitivity in the 70s. If you have a high suspicion, every cardiologist I know will advocate for a stress test with imaging (increases the sensitivites to the 90s).

And I'd never stress anyone with a + trop.

To be devil's advocate, your one troponin if the pain has been there for 6 hours isn't quite protection. It's entirely possible that the patient has been having unstable angina for 3 days and progressed to their NSTEMI five minutes ago. I've seen plenty of people where their second troponin was positive after their first one was negative... even if they'd been having sx for significantly more than a few hours. .
Yes! I've always said this. You can have pain, especially if it's waxing and waning, up and down or not constant, without troponin leak and cell death, and the severity can tip over to infarction at any point during the pain process, and then and only then does your 4-6 hr troponin clock start. That doesn't even take into account silent ischemia or non-chest pain anginal equivalents, which make it even harder to know when to "start the clock." Real life doesn't always mimic the experimental animal model where you clamp off a coronary, start the clock and measure troponins every hour, not to mention false negative stress tests and other diagnostic imperfections. It makes the science not so exact.

One thing I studied informally over the years, was trying to spend 2 minutes asking as many patients under my care as possible, who have had past confirmed MIs, to describe what their symptoms felt like, before or during their previous MI. The range of weird, atypical and even completely asymptomatic stories you'll here after the fact, is shocking and educating at the same time.

Last edited:
To be devil's advocate, your one troponin if the pain has been there for 6 hours isn't quite protection. It's entirely possible that the patient has been having unstable angina for 3 days and progressed to their NSTEMI five minutes ago. I've seen plenty of people where their second troponin was positive after their first one was negative... even if they'd been having sx for significantly more than a few hours. Obviously, you can't call for every chest pain, but with enough risk factors? I wouldn't argue with that admission.

Sure. It's also entirely possible that the same patient with a negative second troponin progressed to their NSTEMI 5 minutes after it was drawn. Or 5 minutes after the third. Or the fourth... Should we keep him in the hospital for the rest of his life? Cath him? What if he has a bunch of 30% occlusions? They're more likely to rupture and produce an acute event than the 80% plaque...

Absurd, of course. But if we're going to say that it's reasonable to admit the guy with 3 days of constant, unchanged chest pain, negative enzymes, and a non-ischemic EKG, what makes keeping him for another 3 days of enzymes any less reasonable?

The standard used to be 3 troponins 6-8 hr apart before a stress. Now people are doing two. Some want to do only one. What about none? What about as soon as they walk in the door?

Obviously the more aggressive you get pushing this, the more you're going to start seeing people infarct or arrest during stress tests. And for what, to save money for some pencil pusher at an insurance company, Medicare or your hospital C-suite?

---- that.

Reactions: 1 users
We do stress tests after 1 neg trop all the time. What you are taught in residency is not what is done in the community. When I was a resident, I was told if you do a set of cardiac enzymes, then you must be concerned enough thus admit. Good luck with this in the community.

if anyone that I believe is atypical or have had chest pain for days gets 1 set then treadmill stress then home.

otherwise admit and rule out.

Stress tests are stupid and no one should get them.

With sensitive troponin assays, "unstable angina" doesn't really exist anymore. If troponins are negative (I agree with the 4-6 hours) then they should go home with primary care follow up. If troponins are positive then they stay in the hospital and someone decides whether they need cath.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the end this (and most of the rest of medicine) comes down to trying to balance revenue, resources, statistics, and attorneys. The actual science is important only insofar as it optimizes that balance.

I have heard Greg Henry, MD, JD state that in the case of a bad outcome based on a single trop. the successful argument has been made that the pt had their MI at the end of the 6 hr window(thus the neg trop) and all the prior pain was unstable angina at rest. he believes a single trop. is never acceptable practice (easy for him to say though, he works at a large Michigan hospital with an obs unit...). That being said, there are some folks I feel ok about getting just one trop on and some I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a pt die from a stemi a few months ago. According to his cardiologist he passed his exercise stress test 4 days ago.

Not exactly a perfect test.
when I learned to do basic stress tests 10 yrs ago the rule of thumb the cards folks taught us was that they were only 70% accurate in the setting of 2 prior neg trops and 2 neg prior ekgs. . If you want more accuracy you need to do a stress echo or thallium stress. At many places the + rate on these is incredibly low because the pt population tends to be folks you don't really worry about. They can exercise. they don't have multiple comorbidities, etc as those would exclude them from our protocol.
In a few years of doing these regularly I only had a few true positives. There were a lot of "borderline" studies the cards folks later said didn't impress them enough to cath.

Collateralization causes confusion when interpreting a "normal stress test." Just because there is blood flow, and perfusion, and no signs of EKG changes, it doesn't mean anything. There is no way to determine which pathway the blood takes to deliver oxygen, and how badly occluded a singe vessel actually could be proximal to the collaterals that have formed.

For this reason, and if hospitals truly want to save money (as alluded to in the above posts), and maximize their revenue, and also provide exemplary care, I would think that using CATH as a gold standard test for ALL intermediate and above TIMI admissions would do several things - It will fix those with real disease immediately, it will identify those who will need close follow-up and likely repeat cath in 1 year, and it will reduce (in theory) the overall mortality in the community by reducing the number of MI's that result from undiagnosed disease.

I honestly see the Cath as the next colonoscopy in the a few years - especially with the upcoming readmission prevention and goal of disease prevention getting in the way of traditional hospital admission and observation. At the minimum, going to cath directly from the ED for those moderate to high risk patients may become more frequent - even with negative troponin values. The real question is, who is going to be available to perform those Caths...

Collateralization causes confusion when interpreting a "normal stress test." Just because there is blood flow, and perfusion, and no signs of EKG changes, it doesn't mean anything. There is no way to determine which pathway the blood takes to deliver oxygen, and how badly occluded a singe vessel actually could be proximal to the collaterals that have formed.

For this reason, and if hospitals truly want to save money (as alluded to in the above posts), and maximize their revenue, and also provide exemplary care, I would think that using CATH as a gold standard test for ALL intermediate and above TIMI admissions would do several things - It will fix those with real disease immediately, it will identify those who will need close follow-up and likely repeat cath in 1 year, and it will reduce (in theory) the overall mortality in the community by reducing the number of MI's that result from undiagnosed disease.

I honestly see the Cath as the next colonoscopy in the a few years - especially with the upcoming readmission prevention and goal of disease prevention getting in the way of traditional hospital admission and observation. At the minimum, going to cath directly from the ED for those moderate to high risk patients may become more frequent - even with negative troponin values. The real question is, who is going to be available to perform those Caths...
Why are you sending them to cath?

Considering they recently crushed the reimbursement for diagnostic (negative) caths, there will be no one available to do them. Your analysis of cost, is way off base by the way, as are cost analyses by most political "health experts." The cheapest thing is to do nothing and let people die of their heart attack young, not to keep them alive with repeated heart caths only to extend their life into the 80's and 90's where they live longer, get more tests/treatments over a longer life and ultimately die of dementia (but have a healthy heart) after a prolonged and expensive nursing home stay.

Preventative health care just makes people live longer, get more tests and treatments over a longer life, and over the long haul ultimately cost more by consuming more health care.

...Except it doesn't actually pan out that way.

Sure. It's also entirely possible that the same patient with a negative second troponin progressed to their NSTEMI 5 minutes after it was drawn. Or 5 minutes after the third. Or the fourth... Should we keep him in the hospital for the rest of his life? Cath him? What if he has a bunch of 30% occlusions? They're more likely to rupture and produce an acute event than the 80% plaque...

Absurd, of course. But if we're going to say that it's reasonable to admit the guy with 3 days of constant, unchanged chest pain, negative enzymes, and a non-ischemic EKG, what makes keeping him for another 3 days of enzymes any less reasonable?
To play devil's advocate again: After his three days of constant chest pain, something made that man come to the hospital five minutes ago. Maybe it was his wife nagging him, or maybe there was a change in the quality of the pain that he just couldn't put his finger on. If it was the former? Great, your one troponin was enough. If it was the latter, and his UA just converted to an NSTEMI but he hasn't had time for enzymes to rise yet? One isn't enough. Two likely might be. That said, you need at least something going for you. That's either typical chest pain, a positive enzyme, or EKG changes. If you're at 0/3, I'd feel a lot more comfortable straight out calling it non-cardiac.

Arcan57 - To identify highly occluded vessels that would be candidates for stents, and because stress tests are scientifically inferior to cath.

Birdstrike - I agree. "The real question is, who is going to be available to perform those Caths..." Doing nothing is the cheapest thing to do in the absence of other reasons to earn reimbursement. But, as all of these accredited chest pain centers pop up, and "positive" troponins become the norm using the "high sensitivity troponin" even the slightest postive test will meet inpatient criteria (even though the prior non-"high sensitivity test" may have been negative).

Turkeyjerkey - Agreed.

Arcan57 - To identify highly occluded vessels that would be candidates for stents, and because stress tests are scientifically inferior to cath.

Birdstrike - I agree. "The real question is, who is going to be available to perform those Caths..." Doing nothing is the cheapest thing to do in the absence of other reasons to earn reimbursement. But, as all of these accredited chest pain centers pop up, and "positive" troponins become the norm using the "high sensitivity troponin" even the slightest postive test will meet inpatient criteria (even though the prior non-"high sensitivity test" may have been negative).

Turkeyjerkey - Agreed.
You could be absolutely right. You know the suits are going to find a way to get huge reimbursement. Even if it means getting the most overly sensitive lab test possible, to trigger reimbursement for the right CPT codes and facility fees. Absolutely, that's how the game played.

Stress tests are stupid and no one should get them.

With sensitive troponin assays, "unstable angina" doesn't really exist anymore. If troponins are negative (I agree with the 4-6 hours) then they should go home with primary care follow up. If troponins are positive then they stay in the hospital and someone decides whether they need cath.

Strongly disagree. There are those with negative troponins and a thrombotic occlusion on their cath. Sputtering angina occurs with recanalization. That is why the story matters so much.

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic.

I'm just so excited when I can get a STAT stress test that I'll do whatever the cardiologists want to get it. If they come in between midnight and 11 am or so, I'll usually get two before the stress echo or nuc if they can't walk on the treadmill. If they come in between 11am and 3pm or so, I'll get one before the stress echo or nuc if they can't walk on the treadmill (assuming 4-6+ hrs of pain.) If they come in on the weekend or between 3 pm and midnight, I'll get two sets and they'll go home for an outpatient stress tomorrow (or Monday).

If I'm really worried I'll force the cardiologists to admit them. If they do they'll do 2 or 3 sets and stress them the next day, weekend or not. To be honest, some of them hate admitting anyone with a negative troponin and give me a hard time about it unless they've already done some significant work on them.

That's the real world folks, for better or for worse. You think you get the same care no matter what day and time you show up in the ED? You're naive. Pray that your MI shows up Tuesday morning at 9 am (and that there is some darn ST elevation).

Strongly disagree. There are those with negative troponins and a thrombotic occlusion on their cath. Sputtering angina occurs with recanalization. That is why the story matters so much.

I don't disagree with you. I was referring to low risk patients by history. If the history is concerning that changes everything and they get admitted or very close outpatient cards follow up.

And intervening on those lesions provides a significant reduction in MI and death? No argument on the stress test.

Ideally high resolution cardiac CT angiography could identify high-risk plaques which would be amenable to PCI.

I'd say we are 5-10 yrs from such a system. Unfortunately it's very difficult to identify benefit from a prophylactic intervention. I know that if I had typical angina symptoms combined with a reliable CT showing a 95% stenosis I would want it stented.

At this time there really is no good test for chest pain.

Chest pain will continue to be an elusive source of high liability in patients presenting to the Emergency Department. Too many of them go home and die.

I think the White Coat Investor's strategy is appropriate in patients with reliable follow up. I also believe that in intermediate-risk patients without follow up even with 2 negative troponins if you can't get a stress in the ED it is reasonable to admit for cardiac obs. Cardiologists like to say, "Well I've seen more high-risk patients in clinic and they didn't get admitted." but the fact is I am not a cardiologist and in the lay-person's standard do not provide the same level of care. If a patient drops dead from an MI 5 days after seeing his cardiologist it is more defensible than dropping dead 5 days after an ER visit.

Plaque rupture yes.

Literature please. That was the old argument for cath'ing everybody but with the exception of symptomatic relief from angina I am not aware of a study that shows a mortality benefit or even reduction in MI.

If a patient drops dead from an MI 5 days after seeing his cardiologist it is more defensible than dropping dead 5 days after an ER visit.
Yes, because the expectation is that all of their patients have heart disease, that ultimately will be their downfall. So it's expected, and almost accepted that it'll happen eventually. But the standard the ED is held to and the expectation is totally different, and much more unforgiving. Because everybody knows that a discharge from the ER always comes with a 6 week "I was just checked in the ER and they said nothing was wrong!" guarantee.

Literature please. That was the old argument for cath'ing everybody but with the exception of symptomatic relief from angina I am not aware of a study that shows a mortality benefit or even reduction in MI.

You're asking for literature that reperfussion improves outcome in STEMI and nstemi (ie plaque rupture)?

Ideally high resolution cardiac CT angiography could identify high-risk plaques which would be amenable to PCI. I'd say we are 5-10 yrs from such a system.

Yeh, I tend to agree as CTCA improves, it will have a greater role – not for clearing the low-risk for discharge like ROMICAT, ACRIN-PA, etc., but as part of an integrated approach to intermediate-risk folks.

One of my current tasks is to come up with an idealized approach to chest pain – and I anticipate sending home the near-universal majority of patients after one or two (2hr) troponins, depending on pretest likelihood of ACS. The next test should be chosen with the expectation of getting the best information re: interventions to improve morbidity/mortality, as well as some consideration of false-positive rates and spawning downstream testing. I don't think low-risk folks routinely benefit from any testing. I think CTCA is reasonable for a truly intermediate-ish risk patient as a noninvasive anatomic descriptor – where anything short of 70% stenosis gets optimal medical management and follow-up, proximal left main/LAD/RCA/dominant Circ 70%+ probably needs to go to cath as a prophylactic measure, 70%+ in distal vessels gets a nuclear stress/stress echo to assess for flow limitation, and the clean coronaries get a protective effect from downstream testing. FFR CTCA would be nice if it were ready for prime-time to obviate the nuclear stress/stress echo, but we're not there yet. Still trying to figure out what to do with "high risk" – again, with an eye towards referring to testing that will actually improve their outcomes, since otherwise they're just as "high risk" after an observation rule-out as they were after a 2-set ED rule-out. I don't think you can truly protocolize the decisions for the heterogenous mix of stents, caths, and stress tests you see in the ED. But it's probably just 2 sets and close follow-up with cardiology for their expertise.

Note the setting I'm describing is a very idealized integrated health system with great follow-up and built-in liability protection.

You're asking for literature that reperfussion improves outcome in STEMI and nstemi (ie plaque rupture)?

No, I wasn't talking about reperfusion (although there doesn't seem to be a mortality benefit to early cath in NSTEMI). The point being discussed is does intervening on high grade stenosis in patients not limited by angina symptoms actually provide an improvement in patient-oriented outcomes?

Note the setting I'm describing is a very idealized integrated health system with great follow-up and built-in liability protection.

Great follow-up and liability protection ?! You mean those two critical tenets of healthcare that the ACA totally ignored ?

Lolz.

No, I wasn't talking about reperfusion (although there doesn't seem to be a mortality benefit to early cath in NSTEMI). The point being discussed is does intervening on high grade stenosis in patients not limited by angina symptoms actually provide an improvement in patient-oriented outcomes?

No, but if they're not having angina then why would they come to the ER?

And if that angina isn't new or progressive (ACS) why would they come to the ER?

No, but if they're not having angina then why would they come to the ER?

And if that angina isn't new or progressive (ACS) why would they come to the ER?

because it was on the way home?

because they ran out of hydros?

because their primary doctor can't see them until tomorrow and that's too long?

because they are a victim of domestic abuse?

"to get checked out"

"I told my doctor I was having the same CP I always do but ran out of ntg so he sent me to the ER"

because it was on the way home?

because they ran out of hydros?

because their primary doctor can't see them until tomorrow and that's too long?

because they are a victim of domestic abuse?

"to get checked out"

"I told my doctor I was having the same CP I always do but ran out of ntg so he sent me to the ER"

Or even because the majority of time the pt's chest pain isn't caused by angina.

Or even because the majority of time the pt's chest pain isn't caused by angina.

True but If it's a crappy story they shouldn't be getting stressed anyway. It's not like Angina is a radiographic diagnosis.

True but If it's a crappy story they shouldn't be getting stressed anyway. It's not like Angina is a radiographic diagnosis.

And so to guy who asked does intervening on high grade stenosis in patients not limited by angina do anything- Why would you be stressing them in the ER without angina?

And so to guy who asked does intervening on high grade stenosis in patients not limited by angina do anything- Why would you be stressing them in the ER without angina?

well patients with typical angina ie cp reliably reproducible with exertion are more likely to have a hard plaque which gradually stenoses and causes symptoms then after time leads to significant myocardial cell death. these are safer patients to evaluate as they typically just need CP obs or stress if they're due...

intermediate risk patients with an isolated episode of significant chest pain which resolved are at risk for having a soft plaque that at anytime could rupture and cause 100% occlusion/vfib.

It's been a very long day and I'm legitimately unsure if you're trying to troll me or if you just have a very non-standard understanding of medical terminology. But to answer you're question seriously - because they have chest pain that could be coming from a blockage in a coronary artery.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or you've never been inside an ED.

Even in the Pope paper than everyone quotes as ED docs missing 2% of MIs, if you look at the numbers that actually matter in real life, only 0.1% of chest pain patients were sent home with MIs. And they had equivalent mortality to those admitted.

well patients with typical angina ie cp reliably reproducible with exertion are more likely to have a hard plaque which gradually stenoses and causes symptoms then after time leads to significant myocardial cell death. these are safer patients to evaluate as they typically just need CP obs or stress if they're due...

intermediate risk patients with an isolated episode of significant chest pain which resolved are at risk for having a soft plaque that at anytime could rupture and cause 100% occlusion/vfib.

If it's typical angina, why the **** are you stressing them, even in high risk patients who have a full metal jacket. Rule them out, put them on medicine, and have them see their cardiologist as an outpatient. If it's actually unstable angina, you shouldn't really be stressing them anyway.

You can't tell how "soft" the plaque is. And by soft I'm assuming you mean a thin fibrous cap with a large lipid rich core. The only way you can tell that is IVUS.

Last edited:
It's been a very long day and I'm legitimately unsure if you're trying to troll me or if you just have a very non-standard understanding of medical terminology. But to answer you're question seriously - because they have chest pain that could be coming from a blockage in a coronary artery.

You asked if intervening on a high grade stenosis in a patient without angina would improve outcomes. I responded, why on earth would you stress someone in the ER if they had no chest pain/anginal equivalent.

You asked if intervening on a high grade stenosis in a patient without angina would improve outcomes. I responded, why on earth would you stress someone in the ER if they had no chest pain/anginal equivalent.
Ok, last time... not all chest pain is angina. Not all chest pain in patients with known coronary disease is angina. I am not aware of any combination of risk factors, EKG, lab, physical exam findings, etc. that is completely reliable at distinguishing anginal chest pain from non-anginal chest pain. Therefore it is quite likely that if you ever have ordered a stress test or admitted a patient to be stressed that you have also stressed someone that wasn't having angina. If you follow a little bit further, it is also likely that some of the people that you stressed that weren't having angina would (as an incidental finding) have CAD that on cath would show a stenosis that is considered appropriate for stenting. I was taught in residency that picking up this incidental finding and stenting this (possibly) culprit lesion saved lives and prevented MIs. This does not seem to be borne out by the literature that has subsequently been published. Clear enough?

Ok, last time... not all chest pain is angina. Not all chest pain in patients with known coronary disease is angina. I am not aware of any combination of risk factors, EKG, lab, physical exam findings, etc. that is completely reliable at distinguishing anginal chest pain from non-anginal chest pain. Therefore it is quite likely that if you ever have ordered a stress test or admitted a patient to be stressed that you have also stressed someone that wasn't having angina. If you follow a little bit further, it is also likely that some of the people that you stressed that weren't having angina would (as an incidental finding) have CAD that on cath would show a stenosis that is considered appropriate for stenting. I was taught in residency that picking up this incidental finding and stenting this (possibly) culprit lesion saved lives and prevented MIs. This does not seem to be borne out by the literature that has subsequently been published. Clear enough?

I think you're missing the point and looking at this from an ER doc perspective which is pound a round peg into a square hole.

Angina is a clinical diagnosis. If you don't think they're having angina, don't send them for a stress test. That way from your cohort of patients if you get a positive result, you can be pretty sure you have improved your post-test probability. A stress test in a low risk population IS WORTHLESS. It doesn't change your posttest probability. You just wasted time and the money of the patient. I realize in the ER you guys need to move patients but you're doing little to change much other than get some people out of your ER and put some money in the cath department's pocket.