Race-based Affirmative Action being phased out of college admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article is from yesterday:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...s-next-phase-may-target-class-not-race-n89856

What do my fellow URM on SDN think of this? What does this mean for the future of medical school admissions, if anything?

I think a lot of people have misconceptions about Affirmative Action, they see it as something that only benefit minorities and feel as though it makes it "easier" minorities to be accepted into programs. All AA does is try to create an equal playing field in a nation that historically been racist and discriminatory against certain ethnic groups (namely African-Americans).

People forget that before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 blacks were outright denied from attending certain colleges and also from certain jobs. Affirmative Action tried to give African Americans opportunities that weren't afforded to them previously.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like Affirmative Action doesn't really fix current problems, but is sort of the best thing around right now. I don't think it should have been (or be) seen as a solution, but something that is in place until underlying issues are resolved.

Reactions: 2 users
It won't affect medical school admissions but it may potentially affect the amount of Black, Latino, and Native Americans getting to the point where they can apply to medical school.

So directly, no, URM status will remain because it is not Affirmative Action (as defined by the courts), it is a means of increasing the diversity within the physician population so as to alleviate healthcare disparities among particular underserved groups. Indirectly, however, it will affect the amount of our brothers and sisters making it into college in the first place and thus decreasing the amount of potential applicants down the road.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems every year or so they chip away the civil rights act. Good grief, our prison system is already today's Jim Crow, what next?!

Race based anything is a bad idea, whether it's the police or an admission committee

Reactions: 3 users
I'm for giving poor, first generation college students a leg up in the college admissions process no matter what race they are. Usually, poor first gen students are minorities, but there are poor first gen whites students.

Reactions: 1 user