Racz Radiation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaczOnRaczOnRacz

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PM&R resident here currently doing a pain rotation. I recently saw a Racz procedure for failed back syndrome on a 50 yo M that was 9+ minutes of fluoro time. The total radiation amount was over 600 mGy.
I'm no expert but to me this seems like a huge amount of radiation. If I was this patient, I would be more concerned about the risks of the radiation exposure over doing a procedure that may or may not work.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

PM&R resident here currently doing a pain rotation. I recently saw a Racz procedure for failed back syndrome on a 50 yo M that was 9+ minutes of fluoro time. The total radiation amount was over 600 mGy.
I'm no expert but to me this seems like a huge amount of radiation. If I was this patient, I would be more concerned about the risks of the radiation exposure over doing a procedure that may or may not work.

Any thoughts?
new spine docs + inexperienced x ray techs = lots of exposure time. BTW i cut my DSA to 4 frames per second. no need for 8 frames.

Any thoughts?

it takes me a month to rack up 9 minutes of flouro time. also, the racz procedure is nonsense. let this experience be a lesson that #1 pain patients are very vulnerable and are willing to try anything a doctor says even if it is stupid and #2 there are a lot of bad pain docs out there.

your instincts are correct

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Any thoughts?

0.6 Gy is a relatively small dose of radiation compared to what we treat prostate cancer to (81 Gy)

I have seen quite a few patients that have had radiologist performed sacroiliac joint injections with 2+ minutes of fluoro time... Occasionally i take 6 seconds, and feel bad that its excessive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile