Rad Onc Interviews and Step 2 Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOnc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a fourth year medical student planning my summer, can previous students give advice on when most of the interviews for Rad Onc occur? (Nov? Dec? Jan?)

Also, any info on if programs need step 2 scores reported before rank lists are submitted?

Members don't see this ad.

As a fourth year medical student planning my summer, can previous students give advice on when most of the interviews for Rad Onc occur? (Nov? Dec? Jan?)

Also, any info on if programs need step 2 scores reported before rank lists are submitted?

Check the old Interview Dates/Offers threads - they will show you the ranges of dates for most programs. FYI, last year my first was on 11/26 and last on 1/24.

No program even mentioned my Step 2 score and I don't seem to remember any requiring it to interview or rank but you should check individual programs' websites for that.

Step 2 has marginal value. I won't say no programs care but I know myself and many people took it after interviews and it never came up. Conventional wisdom for other specialties says a great step 2 score can help with a not great step 1 score. I'm not convinced that's true in rad onc but if you didn't do well on step 1 might as well try to use step 2 to your advantage.

Otherwise take step 2 as late as possible. A good score won't help you. A bad score, if it's noticed at all, may hurt you. Risk-reward says put it off in my opinion.

Either way, don't over think it. Take it when you want and get on with the best year of your life.

There seems to be one place that still requires step 2 pass to rank. If you're seriously considering that program after interviews, I'd just worry about taking step 2 at that point.

I took step 2 early and crushed it, and I don't think it mattered one bit. The issue is that step 2 is easier to get a high score on than step 1 in a lot of ways, so everyone expects you to improve. Most applicants with step 2 scores have high scores. Having a low step 2 score or lower than your step 1 score would stand out. So in my opinion, step 2 probably won't help you unless you're trying to compensate for a low step 1 score. It's debatable in its use to compensate for a low step 1, but it's still a good idea to try if you're in that camp. Otherwise, step 2 can pretty much only hurt you.

Your mileage may vary. This is just one guy's experience/opinion. It's not like all the programs (or even all the adcoms at one program) get together and come to a consensus opinion on these things.