rad onc lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be an M1 in july, and am interested in both heme/onc and rad onc. I know I have and advantage because I can start doing research early, however I would like more info on the day to day activites of a radiation oncologist.

Do they work strictly in the hospital or can they have a private practice?

Is malpractice insurance ridiculously high?

How many spots are there in Chicago, since I will be going to Loyola I want to know how many spots are also in their program?

Is it possible to match if USMLE 1 is under 230 or 220?

Is it possible to match without research?

Is rad onc only a referral service for heme/onc, that gives patients simply radiation treatment, or do rad oncs have long term patients and some sort of continuity of care?

How many different procedures, and what kinds can a rad onc do?

Sorry for all the questions. Previous posts have been helpful, but I want a little more info. If you guys can, pm me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can help answer some of these questions...

>Do they work strictly in the hospital or can they have a private practice?

You can work in private practice. If you're in academics, you work in the clinic and see in-patient consults as well. Pay is better for private practice, but you have more technology to play with in academics.

>Is malpractice insurance ridiculously high?

I do not know, but I suspect that it is not.

>How many spots are there in Chicago, since I will be going to Loyola I want to know how many spots are also in their program?

I believe Loyola has a total of 6 spots and how many they accept each year varies (this applies to most Rad Onc programs)

>Is it possible to match if USMLE 1 is under 230 or 220?

I'm sure it is, but the higher the score, the more it'll help obviously.

>Is it possible to match without research?

Currently, you pretty much need research to distinguish yourself from the large pool of applicants, but I wouldn't be in the position to say that it would be impossible.

>Is rad onc only a referral service for heme/onc, that gives patients simply radiation treatment, or do rad oncs have long term patients and some sort of continuity of care?

Both. Patients will get referred to Rad Onc from surgery or med onc, but you also have long-term care as well. During treatment, you see them at least once a week to monitor progress. Then after completion of treatment, you see them for follow-up every so often depending on the cancer site.

>How many different procedures, and what kinds can a rad onc do?

Most of the procedures involve brachytherapy...which if you don't know is like "short-distance" radiation therapy...which involves implants of radiation sources through different means.

Hope this helps

Do they work strictly in the hospital or can they have a private practice?

both.

Is malpractice insurance ridiculously high?

no quite low actually

How many spots are there in Chicago, since I will be going to Loyola I want to know how many spots are also in their program?

It will vary year to year.

Is it possible to match if USMLE 1 is under 230 or 220?

Yes. but easier if its higher

Is it possible to match without research?
yes, but easier if you do some

Is rad onc only a referral service for heme/onc, that gives patients simply radiation treatment, or do rad oncs have long term patients and some sort of continuity of care?

Long term and continuity of care; the lazy ones who dont really care too much however can go into private practice and punt if they want. Most don't.

How many different procedures, and what kinds can a rad onc do?
Implants, other brachy, intraop rt, stereotactic (if you call that a "procedure") and radiolabeled ab's