Rad Onc Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOnc84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody suggest a list of Rad Onc text books to purchase for/during residency?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll second that - what's the most current major text?

Members don't see this ad :)
which one of these five has the most current edition? )

If anyone needs an electronic copy (older versions), let me know. I have Leibel and Phillips (3rd edition), Perez and Brady, and other stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what would be a good book for a 4th year med student? I'm looking for the quickest, crash course possible.

I saw this on Amazon. [Link is not working] Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology by Hansen and Roach.

Reactions: 1 user
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what would be a good book for a 4th year med student? I'm looking for the quickest, crash course possible.

I saw this on Amazon. [Link is not working] Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology by Hansen and Roach.

That's a good one but may be little dense for really quick stuff. I found the Question-Based Review (purple/green book) good for student purposes because it's in a question style format and suited towards the things attendings will/may be asking you. You can read a section the day before working with a different attending if you switch services often (which can happen on rotations).
Maybe something different/better has come out in the last nearly two years.

Just started residency last month, wanted to know opinions on which book to purchase. Trying to decide between Perez and Brady 6e vs Gunderson 4e which releases in a month. Figure the newest edition of Gunderson might be more up to date since it'll be published in 2015 vs 2013 for Perez. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Im an attending, but I just picked up a book called target volume delineation for conformal and intensity modulated radiation therapy by nancy lee. It is money, particularly the head and neck section. Every subsite of head and neck contoured with detailed slice by slice examples. Whole section on contouring cranial nerves for pni. In my opinion, more useful than the ang book i used during residency.

I love Gunderson and Tepper as a cohesive resource to bring it all together but that is not a good book for med students or very early residents. Its way to long. It does a great job presenting basic science as well as the evolution of treatment strategies and citing the clinical literature. That is most useful when you have a decent understanding of basic clinical practice for a disease site. Otherwise its a little daunting.

For med students and early residents the Hansen Handbook is a great reference. Its pretty superficial but it does a great job of getting your foot in the door. Junior residents really can use any of these books or other resources to get started but you really should be reading the primary literature more than anything. Can't speak to Dr. Lee's book but sounds good. Head and neck is a different animal. There are several good books which are completely devoted to showing normal anatomy of the head and neck in painful detail at every level and modality in different planes. Those are worth gold when you start your first head and neck service if you are like me and didn't have much exposure to head and neck radiology since first year med school.

Another free reference people often overlook is the NCCN guidelines. I'm not talking about the actual recommendations or treatment schemes which is where most people go and then often get scolded for making a questionable recommendation they innocently read and repeated. Skim all of that and go to the back sections where they cite and review relevant primary literature. Thats often actually a fairly nice review and can point you to important papers you might otherwise miss. But make sure you read the papers. There are frequently, shall we say, liberal interpretations of what was actually found. For real fun, read the primary papers, then try to figure out how the heck they came up with the recommendations that they did. Its a good lesson in how hard (or painfully easy at other times) it can be to use evidence to change practice depending on the make up of the panel.

anyone had a chance to look at this physics text? we are all in need of some good physics texts other than Khan which is so dense!

I like the McDermott for physics boards. Anyone had a chance to see this one?
Amazon product