Rad onc vs. IM.... please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 1111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am having a really tough time and need some advice. I am currently an MSIV applying in both IM and rad onc. My fiance is very accomplished in a different field where Boston, NY, and CA are really the most ideal places to be in for his specific field. I think I have a good shot at matching into an average rad onc program, but am struggling with whether it is worth the sacrifice to not be in one of these three places once I am an attending (hour traveling distance ok). It is tough because I feel that I am limiting his career potential by choosing rad onc.

I also wonder whether people think a female will have an easier time obtaining jobs in these places, as there are not as many of us. I am ok with taking a salary cut in order to have us both have successful, rewarding careers.

What do you think? I really appreciate people's thoughtful responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Choose Radiation Oncology. The rest will work itself out later.

Reactions: 1 user
The job market in rad onc is incredibly tight in Boston, NYC, and in the coastal parts of CA. The central valley of CA isn't so bad. If you're choosing radiation oncology, you have to understand that location will be a very difficult thing to choose in the future. This will be both for residency and for attending level positions, and it's actually worse currently at the attending level. If anything I think this will get worse over the next 5 years. At some point you will likely have to sacrifice. That sacrifice may be being separated for several years during residency or as a junior attending in rad onc. It may be taking a fellowship or two in rad onc or a bad job while you wait for a decent job to open up. It may be that your spouse has to come out of the city and either find a less ambitious position, work remotely, or stop working full-time to raise the kids. These things are real dilemmas that you will likely face at some point in rad onc. IM has more residency options, lower residency competition, and many more attending level jobs, though the trade off is giving up rad onc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should never give up what you want to do for someone else. Things change in our life and you will look back at things with regret. Choose what YOU want to do, without any guilt. It is YOUR life.

You should never give up what you want to do for someone else. Things change in our life and you will look back at things with regret. Choose what YOU want to do, without any guilt. It is YOUR life.

This is great advice for someone dating, but terrible life advice for a marriage.

In a marriage it is never about what "you" want and is about what is best for the family!

Reactions: 3 users
This is great advice for someone dating, but terrible life advice for a marriage.

In a marriage it is never about what "you" want and is about what is best for the family!

Sheldor is right. You need to follow your own priorities. The job thing is a real issue. In my current situation I may have the opportunity for my absolute dream job where we currently are but my Wife is supposed to move to Philly for her dream job. It's exceedingly likely one of us is going to have to settle. Based on number of positions available I would be far more likely to get a good job up there if I were in IM. Me personally, an ok job in rad onc would be way better than a good IM (primary care) gig. But for you it might not be. If you honestly think you would be just as happy in IM then maybe the head ache of a tight job market isn't worth it to you.

Radonc is a cool job. But it is just a job - it is not your life. I personally see my life much more through the lens of my family than I do my job, so I would prioritize that first. However, I do know some very happy and successful people who see their "life" through the lens of their job as their #1 priority..so I guess it depends on you (and your partner's) philosophy. In my mind, you would be taking a huge gamble in securing a position in one of those areas.

Rad Onc is just a job.

But anyone with a job knows that this job is a BIG part of your life.

and you owe it to your family to be as happy as you can be in what you have to wake up for and leave the house for every day.

I can't imagine having to go through IM residency and fellowship and then a career in something else other than Rad Onc - most of which seems awful in comparison.

For the VAST majority of people, they make things work job-wise. They eventually end up in the location which works for them and their families.

To not enter the field just because of this worry seems like missing the forest for the trees.

btw to answer your question about being female - I believe it certainly helps your case for matching. Programs are looking for female residents and you become a more appealing person to rank to match. I don't know about impact in jobs, I doubt there is anything there.

btw to answer your question about being female - I believe it certainly helps your case for matching. Programs are looking for female residents and you become a more appealing person to rank to match. I don't know about impact in jobs, I doubt there is anything there.

Especially if you are a pretty female... Yeah I said it! I've seen it factor in far too many times to believe it does play a role.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

As someone already said, people have different set of values and place priorities in different things. For marriage to work both people have to be happy. Sure if one can be happy in both fields, then maybe consider the one that may open up more jobs but IF the question is choosing a less desirable field where one would not be as happy because of the "family", then one is ignoring how much a job really affects our personal happiness, and how that may eventually affect a marriage. My point is that sacrificing personal happiness affects a relationship as well. The assumption that things are easier in Internal Medicine to find a job in tight competitive markets is not necessarily true, either. For example, I was talking to an upper level medicine resident the other day who is only looking for jobs in a very competitive northeast location and heard there are very little job openings and the very few which are there told him they have 200+ applicants. The contract offered to them was nowhere near as expected and it came with essentially a "take it or leave it". This is internal medicine too.

Last edited:
You could apply into both and see what happens, if you end up in a spot that works for your partner then you're good for 5 years. After that, so long as he can support you for a bit if you dont find something you can wait it out and something will pop up. Its not the best strategy for someone that is in debt and that has already committed themselves to a life of working, which unfortunately alot of people without good advice have done.

That said, rad onc generally isn't a flexible job. If you're looking for something flexible, go for medicine/primary care. Rad onc is great, but like everything it's just a job.

Last edited: