Radiation Exposure in Nephrology or any other fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James ij

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently interested in Nephrology, and would like to know if the procedures involved has any radiation exposure.

While I am at it, let me know which other sub specialties have radiation exposure for example like heart caths.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently interested in Nephrology, and would like to know if the procedures involved has any radiation exposure.

While I am at it, let me know which other sub specialties have radiation exposure for example like heart caths.
If this, of all things, is the primary consideration you have for choosing a subspecialty, you have some very strange priorities.

Odd question?

We use fluoro for ERCPs if you do GI with advanced endo.

Nephrology, for what it is worth, is a bad choice :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You are funny :claps::claps::claps:

Not much radiation in nephrology. Pretty much the only procedures done in US nephrology are dialysis, kidney biopsies, and dialysis catheter placement. None of these involve radiation exposure, unless you are doing tunneled dialysis catheters under fluoro (but most US nephologists do not place tunneled catheters).

Nephrology has 99 problems, radiation exposure is not one of them

Reactions: 1 user