Radiation exposure in pain medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo Aquarius

Anxiety.org Schizophrenia.com DepressionHealth.net
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has come up a couple times in the past in 2007 and 2012, but I was wondering if technology has improved since then to make exposure less of an issue? Do you guys hear sales reps of C-arms ever talking about reduced radiation exposure in their latest models? Any pain docs out there growing tumors after 10 years?

Members don't see this ad.

The improvement in technologies primarily revolve around digital flat panel detectors, and automatic image adjustment when there is significant radio-opaque items in the field. The former saves rads and cuts down on parallax error while the latter reduces image acquisition time and adjustments. Otherwise, the technologies are fundamentally the same, with operator controlled exposure that can be limited by time, distance, collimation, low dose, and pulsed modes.

I can't believe how many docs I see never use collimation, especially w their initial needle driving to target in trajectory view.