Radiation fibrosis pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clubdeac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just inherited an unfortunate 62 y/o WM with SCCa of the right oropharynx s/p right composite resection and neck dissection, complex vestibuloplasty, pharyngoplasty, hyoid suspension and mandibular reconstruction for help with management of his right sided neck pain. He has significant fibrosis of the right scalenes and SCM and has been receiving lidocaine and botox TPIs (200U total) with minimal relief. Basically the right side of his neck feels like steel cables. He describes the pain as a sharp, pulling sun burned feeling. He uses a topical compounding cream and is maxed out on gabapentin. He's failed cymbalta and TCAs and weaned himself off a fentanyl patch and oxycodone. Any good ideas? Increase the botox? Stellate blocks?

Members don't see this ad.

I just inherited an unfortunate 62 y/o WM with SCCa of the right oropharynx s/p right composite resection and neck dissection, complex vestibuloplasty, pharyngoplasty, hyoid suspension and mandibular reconstruction for help with management of his right sided neck pain. He has significant fibrosis of the right scalenes and SCM and has been receiving lidocaine and botox TPIs (200U total) with minimal relief. Basically the right side of his neck feels like steel cables. He describes the pain as a sharp, pulling sun burned feeling. He uses a topical compounding cream and is maxed out on gabapentin. He's failed cymbalta and TCAs and weaned himself off a fentanyl patch and oxycodone. Any good ideas? Increase the botox? Stellate blocks?
I have a very similar pt with h/o tongue CA. One of my regular SGBs. It's worked pretty well and he has begun to learn to live with his pain.

Have you considered an intrathecal analgesia trial?

Members don't see this ad :)
does he essentially look like he has torticollis to some mild degree due to the tight muscles? Is there allodynia to light touch which correlates with the sunburn feeling or is it just tender to palpation/pressure over those structures? does he get local anesthetic relief with the lidocaine at least?

i have a guy currently who had radiation fibrosis from a sarcoma and they took out most of his hip adductors and partial hamstring (had to have a plastic surgeon close him up) and he has developed some serious mechanical issues due to the fibrosis resulting in other ailments such as ischial bursitis and hamstring tendinopathy, hamstring myofascial pain, etc. just tried botox for the hamstrings since TPI provided temporary relief and i got a good twitch response out of it. going to PT. he couldn't bend over to tie his shoe and he is gaining some ROM back.

cervical area seems tough due to sensitive nature of structures there. if that much botox doesn't help, i don't think any further will help. if it's scar tissue, consider a little decadron steroid injection? any idea if a plastic or ortho surgeon may be able to do some sort of release? howabout a stim trial?

Interestingly enough, i used to have a patient who was a younger male 20-30's who had lymphoma and had surgery/chemo/XRT to the neck and had significant L neck pain ever since. he tried every medication under the sun, blocks, infusions, topicals, you name it. botox did seem to provide some relief as well as TPI. he was supposed to undergo stim trial but never followed up. never tried SGB either.

Reactions: 1 user

BTW - Allergan suggests not to mix botox w Lidocaine, should dilute w NS. It is possible this impacted your result in some way.

BTW - Allergan suggests not to mix botox w Lidocaine, should dilute w NS. It is possible this impacted your result in some way.
i hadn't heard this. wonder what the reason is? i sometimes use lidocaine with my botox.. have not had any problems, helps to confirm the injectate is in the right structure at the very least which is important when you are using botox i'd think.

Hmmm yeah wonder what the reasoning is. I think the previous doc was doing lidocaine TPIs in the posterior cervical paraspinals and botox in the scalenes and SCM so shouldn't have been an issue. I did both everywhere..just blasted him. I'm moving onto stellates anyway

the manufacturer does recommend, and i learned that it had to be reconstituted gently with NS without agitation and without air exposure, due to the fragility of the toxin itself.
2.2 Preparation and Dilution Technique
Prior to injection, reconstitute each vacuum-dried vial of BOTOX with only sterile, preservative-free 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection USP. Draw up the proper amount of diluent in the appropriate size syringe (see Table 1, or for specific instructions for detrusor overactivity associated with a neurologic condition see Section 2.3), and slowly inject the diluent into the vial.

here is a study suggesting that diluting in lidocaine does not affect the results, however (for axillary hydrosis mind you): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21492253

Hmmm yeah wonder what the reasoning is. I think the previous doc was doing lidocaine TPIs in the posterior cervical paraspinals and botox in the scalenes and SCM so shouldn't have been an issue. I did both everywhere..just blasted him. I'm moving onto stellates anyway

I don't recall what the reasoning was either. I have always used NS to reconstitute. Also your reasoning to use lidocaine to verify isn't really solid. I like to use US or EMG for verification, US esp w scalenes and other deep cervical muscles would work good. EMG not so much for radiation fibrosis would be hard to activate the fibrotic muscles as you describe them.
Regarding stellates- Just curious what he logic is behind using a sympathetic block for fibrotic neck muscles ?
May be worth a trial to see if wydase helps reduce the "scar tissue," although in these cases i think its really more about fibrotic damage muscles that will never be the same again regardless, an unfortunate side effect of radiation and benefit of reducing cancer risk

Last edited:
I don't recall what the reasoning was either. I have always used NS to reconstitute. Also your reasoning to use lidocaine to verify isn't really solid. I like to use US or EMG for verification, US esp w scalenes and other deep cervical muscles would work good. EMG not so much for radiation fibrosis would be hard to activate the fibrotic muscles as you describe them.
Regarding stellates- Just curious what he logic is behind using a sympathetic block for fibrotic neck muscles ?
May be worth a trial to see if wydase helps reduce the "scar tissue," although in these cases i think its really more about fibrotic damage muscles that will never be the same again regardless, an unfortunate side effect of radiation and benefit of reducing cancer risk
To clarify, I wasn't the one who said use lidocaine to verify. That was someone else. And my reasoning for stellates is not solid. Basically he has some neuropathic component to the pain in his lateral neck and jaw and I figure some of the pain processing in that area may be sympathetically mediated and amenable to blocks. Worth a try as I don't have a whole lot else to offer? Although you're suggestion regarding Wydase is intriguing.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I have patient similar coming in soon, have not seen yet. It was a referral from OMFS for patient w neck CA, radiation fibrosis. Fortunately we dont see much of this because I think they can be difficult cases.
BTW here's an article I came across for using botox

Attachments

• Radiation Fibrosis Botox.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 37
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. I have patient similar coming in soon, have not seen yet. It was a referral from OMFS for patient w neck CA, radiation fibrosis. Fortunately we dont see much of this because I think they can be difficult cases.
BTW here's an article I came across for using botox
Great article. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Superficial cervical plexus block didn't help? If not, I would tend to think that this is deeper muscle fibrosis/sympathetically mediated neuropathic pain....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Head and neck cancer patients are tough. I get these cases more frequently than I would prefer. The case is a bit perplexing (as they often are). Is it simply fibrosis of the underlying muscles or is this a case of plexopathy from the previous surgery and radiation? Tough to say but it seems neuropathic to me. I would proceed with the following:
1. Continued medical management: Trial of methadone +/- mexilitene. I've had a few head and neck cancer patients in the past who failed multiple medication trials and ultimately responded well to methadone and mexilitene. One of the few instances in which I'll prescribe mexilitene. You might consider transitioning from gabapentin to lyrica. You also might consider a trial of carbamazepine. Long shots, but you never know!
2. Trial of periodic ketamine or lidocaine infusions.
2. Superficial cervical plexus block with local anesthetic only. If you get a concordant response, then follow with injection of local + steroid of your choice. If this results in more sustained response but still less than optimal result, consider pulsed radiofrequency treatment or peripheral nerve stimulator trial targeting the superficial cervical plexus.
3. If the initial superficial cervical plexus block doesn't result in any concordant pain relief, proceed with stellate ganglion block.
4. If all else fails, consider a referral to an accupuncturist or proceed with a cervical intrathecal catheter trial, which will be a royal pain in the ass to coordinate but may help.

Good luck with the case. It sounds like a tough one.

Head and neck cancer patients are tough. I get these cases more frequently than I would prefer. The case is a bit perplexing (as they often are). Is it simply fibrosis of the underlying muscles or is this a case of plexopathy from the previous surgery and radiation? Tough to say but it seems neuropathic to me. I would proceed with the following:
1. Continued medical management: Trial of methadone +/- mexilitene. I've had a few head and neck cancer patients in the past who failed multiple medication trials and ultimately responded well to methadone and mexilitene. One of the few instances in which I'll prescribe mexilitene. You might consider transitioning from gabapentin to lyrica. You also might consider a trial of carbamazepine. Long shots, but you never know!
2. Superficial cervical plexus block with local anesthetic only. If you get a concordant response, then follow with injection of local + steroid of your choice. If this results in more sustained response but still less than optimal result, consider pulsed radiofrequency treatment or peripheral nerve stimulator trial targeting the superficial cervical plexus.
3. If the initial superficial cervical plexus block doesn't result in any concordant pain relief, proceed with stellate ganglion block.
4. If all else fails, consider a referral to an accupuncturist or proceed with a cervical intrathecal catheter trial, which will be a royal pain in the ass to coordinate but may help.

Sounded good until you said acupuncture. I believe tear of Phoenix way more effective. Purely from a scientific standpoint.

Acupuncture can work. Steve you gotta open your mind to this if (they first fail standard medical treatments)

Just saw a patient back last week who has severe chronic radicular pain in calves and feet s/p lumbar fusion surgery. She failed countless neuropathic meds, epidurals, didn't want to live on opioids.

Insurance denied her SCS. I sent her to acupuncture and she's 80-90% better with acupuncture twice a month.

Acupuncture doesn't work for everybody, but it's often worth trying.
Better than just telling the patient they just have to suck it up......

Last edited:
There has been one reported death from Botox injection and in that case it was mixed with local anesthetic, bupivacaine I believe. This is the reason they do not recommend mixing with local according to their rep down here.

I think EtherBunny has some good ideas.

Acupuncture can work. Steve you gotta open your mind to this if (they first fail standard medical treatments)

Just saw a patient back last week who has severe chronic radicular pain in calves and feet s/p lumbar fusion surgery. She failed countless neuropathic meds, epidurals, didn't want to live on opioids.

Insurance denied her SCS. I sent her to acupuncture and she's 80-90% better with acupuncture twice a month.

Acupuncture doesn't work for everybody, but it's often worth trying.
Better than just telling the patient they just have to suck it up......

Open mind? Betray science.

Thanks Etherbunny! Very helpful.... I am ashamed to admit though, I've never done a cervical plexus block. I'm PMR trained and that was something we never learned in my pain fellowship. I can look it up though. That's how I get by with my US guided blocks ;)

Open mind? Betray science.

Key point here is the last sentence of my last post. If we have nothing else to offer the patient, if traditional science has failed the patient, what's the harm (at that point) of considering alternative medicine treatments?

betraying science would be sending a patient for acupuncture before treating with known science-based treatments.

Thanks Etherbunny! Very helpful.... I am ashamed to admit though, I've never done a cervical plexus block. I'm PMR trained and that was something we never learned in my pain fellowship. I can look it up though. That's how I get by with my US guided blocks ;)

No worries! The only reason I have experience with the superficial cervical plexus block is because I did them preoperatively as an anesthesia resident for central line placement on my cardiac rotation. I never did any during my pain fellowship though.

Accupuncture is an interesting modality. It's definitely an "operator dependent" treatment. In the right hands, it can accomplish the seemingly impossible. At least, that's been my experience at my current institution, where we have a particularly talented accupuncturist.

I vaguely remember a video during my anesthesiology residency, which showed a patient undergoing cardiac surgery without any anesthesia, just accupuncture. The patient didn't even flinch during the sternotomy! How crazy is that?

Let's face it: allopathic medicine, as great as it is in many respects, can't explain everything. It reminds me of Kuhn's famous book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. We try so hard to fit things into conceptual boxes, but sometimes (despite the best efforts of scientists), certain phenomena cannot be explained by modern science. If anything, the practice of medicine is a very humbling profession. There's so much that we don't know. So many imperfections, shortcomings, and erroneous practices.

One of my favorite professors in medical school, a pathologist, once told me: "Fifty percent of what you're going to learn in medical school is wrong. The problem is that we don't know which fifty percent that is."

i mentioned using lidocaine at times to help confirm a pain generator sometimes, but if it significantly were to degrade the botox, i wouldn't use it then.

the instructions say to swirl around gently to reconstitute, but the vacuum really pulls in the injectate quite quickly.. not sure if it helps to redirect the stream of fluid towards the side of the bottle to avoid directly impacting the bottom where you would expect the botox to be?

in residency we were instructed to gently break the vacuum with a needle and empty syringe. we would then gently inject the saline and swirl gently as you noted.

in residency we were instructed to gently break the vacuum with a needle and empty syringe. we would then gently inject the saline and swirl gently as you noted.
that's a good trick. i'll start using it. if i was blasting the botox even with guiding the stream to hit the side wall, maybe this will improve my results. Thanks!

wow. i was told never to do that because air would inactivate the toxin...
Hmmm. Maybe just hold the plunger on the syringe of saline then and slowly trickle it in. Then swirl.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Betraying science is sending patient for fictional care. Wasting their time and money.

Nothing to offer means offering nothing, not nonsense.

To be honest, I had a hard time believing in acupuncture, and still do for many instances. But there were several occasions that shocked me as to how well it worked on several of my patients that I referred. All my successful/satisfied patients had one particular thing in common(aside from other things) they mentioned, auricular acupuncture. I was like, wtf is auricular acupuncture and why is it working for these patients. Apparently there is some stuff out there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523683/

But yea, its tough to sometimes figure out is and isn't nonsense.

To be honest, I had a hard time believing in acupuncture, and still do for many instances. But there were several occasions that shocked me as to how well it worked on several of my patients that I referred. All my successful/satisfied patients had one particular thing in common(aside from other things) they mentioned, auricular acupuncture. I was like, wtf is auricular acupuncture and why is it working for these patients. Apparently there is some stuff out there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523683/

But yea, its tough to sometimes figure out is and isn't nonsense.

The study you quote says this:

5.2. Inconsistent Results on the Study of Auricular Acupuncture
There are inconsistent study results related to the treatment effects of auricular acupuncture, which may be related to trial designing, clinical observation measures, the set of sham acupuncture, and statistical analyses [4648]. In clinical studies, most studies on the clinical observation of auricular acupuncture were not sufficiently convincing. More RCT evaluations of effect of auricular acupuncture should be performed to obtain objective and consistent results. Besides, there are almost 200 auricular acupoints in each ear that represent all parts of the body and many functional areas. It is not easy to locate the acupoint accurately. Therefore, in a clinical trial, the acupuncture operator should be trained well. In experimental studies, anatomical and morphological studies on auricular acupoints and neuroimaging study such as fMRI on the effect of auricular acupuncture should be encouraged to investigate the mechanism of auricular acupuncture.

Based on BS, it is BS. If it works, then it only works on purely subjective phenomenon based on tooth fairy science. That means it is nonscience.

You are right, though I quoted that study because there was some information on it. Not to give a study to prove that somehow acupuncture is solidly scientific.