Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since Sep 1st is less than a month away I figured I'd get this thread started.

Doing an away elective this month (no home program) and working on finishing up my app and PS and getting all my LOR's in order.

How is everyone progressing on applications? I've felt like ERAS hasn't been terrible but maybe that means I don't have enough in the experience section. :shrug:

When is everyone taking Step 2 CK? (late Nov here)

How many programs?

Right now I'm at 46 rads programs and 12 prelim/ty. I think I'm finally done adding programs :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personal statement is done, getting my LOR stuff together and still trying to study for Step 2. My ERAS is still relatively blank.

The good news is that I'm loving my radiology rotation and am certain that its the field for me.

I'm still tinkering with my app list. Pretty set on my rads list, but have way too many transitional and prelim programs but they're so cheap to apply to so I may just try to match as many with my rads as possible.

Why so many programs? You are a strong applicant.

I can't even get past 20-25 based on regional preferences of mine.

I haven't even looked for TY's or prelims, just know a few off the top of my head. ie. 3 programs.

Got two LOR's so far.
Currently on a very busy IR month hoping to secure a letter from here. (lots of well known ppl in IR at my program).

Step 2 CS scheduled for December, CK probably in January.

PS is being fine tuned every so often.

We can update ERAS with new letters even if we submit on Sept 1, but don't get the letter for a few weeks after that date?

Trying to finish up some research this month in Rads, and secure a letter from my mentor, but having difficulties with all the loose ends this month, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why so many programs? You are a strong applicant.

I can't even get past 20-25 based on regional preferences of mine.

I haven't even looked for TY's or prelims, just know a few off the top of my head. ie. 3 programs.

Got two LOR's so far.
Currently on a very busy IR month hoping to secure a letter from here. (lots of well known ppl in IR at my program).

Step 2 CS scheduled for December, CK probably in January.

PS is being fine tuned every so often.

We can update ERAS with new letters even if we submit on Sept 1, but don't get the letter for a few weeks after that date?

Trying to finish up some research this month in Rads, and secure a letter from my mentor, but having difficulties with all the loose ends this month, lol.
Are you for sure applying to Rads? I thought I read you were considering VS or IC too.

I'm also applying this year.

-1 letter is in, 2 are requested and still pending, currently working on obtaining a rads LOR. And by "working on obtaining," that means I haven't requested a letter yet. Maybe next week if things work out.

-I just got off a rads elective with another rads elective set up for next month. No aways for me.

-Basic information in ERAS is filled out.

-PS is a work in progress (such a pain)

-Taking CK towards the end of the month, CS later in the fall.

-Planning on applying to 30 rads programs, 10 prelims (mostly medicine prelims, a few transitional). I'm applying broadly to academic/university programs.

-Wishing everyone else good luck!

Last edited:
I'm applying to rads this year.
Requested all LORs, 1 done for sure, waiting on 3 others.
Step 2 CK done and got score back already (279, 258 on Step 1)
Step 2 CS Sep 19
On a diagnostic rads rotation now
No aways
No rads research, but some anesthesia research
Personal Statement done and uploaded
ERAS pretty much done
Applying to roughly 30 rads programs, unsure of how to choose which prelim programs to apply to or how many. I don't want to spend the money to apply to a prelim program at every advanced rads program. Any ideas?

Step 2 CS Sep 19
No aways
ERAS pretty much done
Applying to roughly 30 rads programs, unsure of how to choose which prelim programs to apply to or how many. I don't want to spend the money to apply to a prelim program at every advanced rads program. Any ideas?

if you're only doing prelim med programs you can probably get away with less than 10. if you're doing TY's too I think 10-15.

I'm applying all over the country for rads but my prelim/TY's are limited to areas with multiple programs I'm applying to and very desirable cities. also my home program so I don't have to move twice unless it would really be worth it

Step 2 CS Sep 19
No aways
ERAS pretty much done
Congrats on your awesome scores. Agree with above about the number of prelims. They are cheap $85 for 10. If you are applying somewhat regionally consider those programs in clusters.

I'm applying to 37 rads / 17 prelim surgery. I could probably apply to fewer programs but I figure it's easy enough to decline interview offers if need be.

I'm planning to take step 2 at the end of December/early Jan.

Currently on a rotation at UCSF, done with eras, letters, etc.

Anyone going to RSNA this year?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
.Most score reporting of Step 2 CK results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of the change in timing described above, as well as routine modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in score reporting for most Step 2 CK examinations administered from August 3 through mid-September. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing during that time will be .Wednesday, September 28, 2011.. .

You're clear to take it now. You'd be able to hide it b/c your score won't be back before September 1st.

And to second drizzt why so many programs? I'm only applying to that many because I lack research. Your app seems bulletproof

Last edited:
.Most score reporting of Step 2 CK results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of the change in timing described above, as well as routine modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in score reporting for most Step 2 CK examinations administered from August 3 through mid-September. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing during that time will be .Wednesday, September 28, 2011.. .

You're clear to take it now. You'd be able to hide it b/c your score won't be back before September 1st.

And to second drizzt why so many programs? I'm only applying to that many because I lack research. Your app seems bulletproof

mdc I think you're applying to a few too many also. I've cut my list down to 32 programs now. I went with something like 15 top tier, 13 2nd tier, and 4 mid tier programs.

Last edited:
mdc I think you're applying to a few too many also. I've cut my list down to 32 programs now. I went with something like 15 top tier, 13 2nd tier, and 4 mid tier programs.

yeah I'm struggling to cut it down but at one point during 3rd year I had 58 programs on my potential list.

check your PM

yeah I'm struggling to cut it down but at one point during 3rd year I had 58 programs on my potential list.

check your PM

I PMed you back. I think you're a lot more competitive than you think you are.

applying this year too! step 1 274 CK done (glad its out of the way) 276. All Honors except HP'ed Family. Some basic science pubs from UG. Did rads research in med school- Radiology and AJR 1st author and another second author. Bunch of abstracts- see some of you at RSNA this year?

Applying to 25 Rads, across the board in "tier" or whatever. 10 TY/Prelim. ERAS filled out and personal statement is mostly done, just can't motivate myself to edit the thing. 4 LORs all requested.

Good luck to everyone!

applying this year too! step 1 274 CK done (glad its out of the way) 276. All Honors except HP'ed Family. Some basic science pubs from UG. Did rads research in med school- Radiology and AJR 1st author and another second author. Bunch of abstracts- see some of you at RSNA this year?

Applying to 25 Rads, across the board in "tier" or whatever. 10 TY/Prelim. ERAS filled out and personal statement is mostly done, just can't motivate myself to edit the thing. 4 LORs all requested.

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah I'm planning to go to RSNA for Sat-Tues this year, trying to cut down on my conference schedule for this school year, I'll probably just go to RSNA, stroke conference, and maybe ASNR, ISMRM being in Australia is tempting but I think it'd be a total mess.

Good luck to everyone!

Damn. Strong work in med school bud.

Is this real? Jeez Louise. What are your top 5 programs? Please tell me none of them are in New York! :oops:

lol. for real. applying in nyc. don't know much about the programs there. pretty early in the game for a top 5 list for me.

Is this real? Jeez Louise. What are your top 5 programs? Please tell me none of them are in New York! :oops:

Thankfully this isn't derm and there's a lot more spots haha.

A lot of programs in NYC too

I have a few questions.
1) Can schools upload LORs if you don't "finalize" the LOR list on ERAS? Also, what happens if you enter who you plan to ask LOR from in future rad electives but aren't sure if you will actually get one? Can I finalize the list if I don't have all the letters in yet?

2) To how many prelim years do people usually apply?
Thanks.

Good luck to everyone!

Dude. Why did you decide to chance it with a 274 Step 1? Am I missing something by assuming that discretion is the better part of valor and that I only stand to hurt myself by taking step 2 early? Outstanding job though. I suppose if enough neurotic radiology-bound SDNers take Step 2 early, it becomes a de facto "standard" and I actually do harm myself by being risk-averse.... ugh.

To answer a previous question, I am applying to 42 rads because I am basically pan-applying the top programs to see what I get, which requires me to have a somewhat larger list than normal to obey the "rule of thirds" or whatever and still have some legit safeties. There are very few places where I wouldn't want to live (although I do have geographic preferences) -- the most important factor to me is program quality/reputation/resident happiness --- therefore, I am applying broadly.

Last edited:
Dude. Why did you decide to chance it with a 274 Step 1? Am I missing something by assuming that discretion is the better part of valor and that I only stand to hurt myself by taking step 2 early? Outstanding job though. I suppose if enough neurotic radiology-bound SDNers take Step 2 early, it becomes a de facto "standard" and I actually do harm myself by being risk-averse.... ugh.

To answer a previous question, I am applying to 42 rads because I am basically pan-applying the top programs to see what I get, which requires me to have a somewhat larger list than normal to obey the "rule of thirds" or whatever and still have some legit safeties. There are very few places where I wouldn't want to live (although I do have geographic preferences) -- the most important factor to me is program quality/reputation/resident happiness --- therefore, I am applying broadly.

i sent you a PM.

Also, I'll make a RSNA thread once it gets closer, it'd be fun to meet up with people.

literally had no other time in my schedule to take it and my school has a deadline. the smart thing would have been to not take the gamble.

literally had no other time in my schedule to take it and my school has a deadline. the smart thing would have been to not take the gamble.

yeah it would have been devastating if you dropped down into the 260s :laugh:

SDN and AM definitely help me stay humble :thumbup:

joining this cycle. hoping to match in NY or cali.
step 1 250+, step 2 in january
mix of H and HPs in 1st and 2nd year. Mainly 2 Hs, 5 HPs in my 3rd year (no AOA!!).
midtier medical school in New York.
10 publications (4 journals, 4 abstracts, 2 posters, some first author some third author in basic science and clinical).
some leadership experience in medical school.

applying to 45-50 rads programs (all top tier programs, all the programs in cali, all the programs in manhattan), 15 TY/prelim meds. all the ballers on this forum is intimidating, I hope I can match at an academic program in one of those two states!!

joining this cycle. hoping to match in NY or cali.
step 1 250+, step 2 in january
mix of H and HPs in 1st and 2nd year. Mainly 2 Hs, 5 HPs in my 3rd year (no AOA!!).
midtier medical school in New York.
10 publications (4 journals, 4 abstracts, 2 posters, some first author some third author in basic science and clinical).
some leadership experience in medical school.

applying to 45-50 rads programs (all top tier programs, all the programs in cali, all the programs in manhattan), 15 TY/prelim meds. all the ballers on this forum is intimidating, I hope I can match at an academic program in one of those two states!!

We might run into each other on the trail. Doing a lot of the top tiers, most of the programs in Cali, and the 4 in manhattan.

Good luck!

I can't believe I'm finally in this process!!

I guess I should share my stats:
Step 1: 253
Step 2 ck: late Nov.
Step 2 cs: done in July
Passed Year 1/2; H and HP year 3/4
AOA
1 publication, 3 pending.
2 aways.
ERAS done - just playing around with my list of schools.

I had 58 rads and 10 prelim meds. Then I calculated the cost and it came out to some crazy number I couldn't afford. So I have it down to 51. Long ways to go, but I'm too paranoid to make any more cuts :)

Any suggestions are welcome..haha.
Good luck to everyone.

I think you'll find that a lot of top applicants get siphoned off to Cali, Boston, Philly, even Durham / St. Louis / Baltimore for the MD/PhDs and others who really want to get the best training possible.

Of the big 4 in Manhattan, only NYU is really on the same page as those alluded to above. Cornell is competitive primarily due to location and Columbia has been repeatedly been described as "a mess" (I have no personal knowledge of program, so who knows if it's true). Sinai is very solid.

On top of that, don't forget St. Luke's, Beth Israel NYC, and outlying Montefiore, Jacobi, LIJ... if you really want to be in NYC, it's totally doable. Certainly moreso than the Bay Area, for example.

Can't believe the time has come. I am pretty much geographically limiting myself to NYC and Philly for personal reasons

Step 1: 262
Step 2 CK: November
Junior AOA
1/2nd Year: Nearly all Honors
3rd Year: 5 Honors (in Med, Surg, Peds, OBGYN, and Psych), 3 HPs otherwise
School: Midtier on East Coast
Aways: Two aways in top programs in NYC
Research: 2 very minor publications 2nd and 3rd author. No published Rads research. Lots of research experience in undergrad and some in medical school. Will be writing a rads related textbook chapter and a rads case review before January.
ERAS: Currently have 31 rads programs, and roughly 15 trans/prelims

I am starting to worry about NYC. You guys all have great stats and apps. I know i'm not shabby in the least but my lack of publications is really going to hold me back. I'm hoping that my aways can help me get my foot in the door.

where do RSNA abstracts go in the ERAS application? since the 'presentation' was really a powerpoint presentation that attendees picked and scrolled through (does it go under presentation, peer reviewed abstracts (cant be this because no PMID), etc)?

dont worry about MD/PhDs. in 2009 match stats, 5% matched, and 5.2% went unmatched. that means ~45 MD/PhDs matched...plenty of top spots in desireable locations available to the lowly MD :)

Last edited:
where do RSNA abstracts go in the ERAS application? since the 'presentation' was really a powerpoint presentation that attendees picked and scrolled through (does it go under presentation, peer reviewed abstracts (cant be this because no PMID), etc)?

dont worry about MD/PhDs. in 2009 match stats, 5% matched, and 5.2% went unmatched. that means ~45 MD/PhDs matched...plenty of top spots in desireable locations available to the lowly MD :)

It's a poster presentation if you're talking about an e-poster.

for rsna 2011, i had to list "abstract accepted, meeting forthcoming" in paraentheses for everything that got in, under "poster presentation". which required setting the clock forward so it would let me list november 2011. thanks eras

Yeah I need to update mine with this year's RSNA ones too, I hadn't done that yet but I suppose that method will work.

Another one I am having some trouble figuring out is how to treat the RSNA Trainee Research prize abstract, which is different than the original abstract and was epublished. I ended up just creating a different heading for it.

Idk if it makes any sense to list submitted abstracts as well.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the submitted ones, I have ~35 pubs/presentations so i'd just be adding them for completeness sake.

I wouldn't worry about scores really, above the mid 250s there's little difference. The curve is so steep at that point that the difference between 265 and 275 is only maybe 2-3 qs, I don't think that's going to make or break you. Same with clinical grades to a certain extent. At the end of the day they're not deciding based on H vs HP in fam med.

At the top programs it's all about who you know and networking, so work your contacts! That's one of the reasons I'm doing a lot of aways. Furthermore, a lot of it is about their perception of you as a colleague. People get caugaht up in scores a lot, and they're certainly important in establishing a base level of performance that's necessary to pass the boards, and people need to be studious to gain the knowledge they need to be a good radiologist. Beyond that, PDs are recruiting people they have to work with for 4 years... So qualities like reliability, kindness, work ethic, sociability, etc are more important than one might otherwise think.

Lol. People with 274/276 and AJR first author publications. People with 35+ pubs/presentations doing aways at UCSF and networking. **** my life.

Lol. People with 274/276 and AJR first author publications. People with 35+ pubs/presentations doing aways at UCSF and networking. **** my life.

Haha, relax, you know you're going to get into a good program!

Hey....anyone in NYC have any input on Rads programs at Albert Einstein Jacobi/Beth Israel/Maimonides/SUNY.... I'm trying to narrow my list, but leave a couple of back-ups and I can't really find any info on these schools. Any info would be much appreciated.

Hey....anyone in NYC have any input on Rads programs at Albert Einstein Jacobi/Beth Israel/Maimonides/SUNY.... I'm trying to narrow my list, but leave a couple of back-ups and I can't really find any info on these schools. Any info would be much appreciated.

Heard good things about BI New York, so-so about Jacobi and Maimonides, nothing about SUNY. Avoid Harlem.