Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel you on that. All of the TY's I did have 1 or 0 months of surgery and no ob. The main advantage is less ward months and more elective time. I stayed away from ones like Hawaii that require 3 months of surgery.

Dude, I would have totally applied to Hawaii. I just thought I would have no shot beacause A) I am not Hawaiian and B) I have no ties to Hawaii. I actually would not mind 3 months of surgery. I'm hoping to match a TY just because I want to do some surgical electives.

Dude, I would have totally applied to Hawaii. I just thought I would have no shot beacause A) I am not Hawaiian and B) I have no ties to Hawaii. I actually would not mind 3 months of surgery. I'm hoping to match a TY just because I want to do some surgical electives.

Ehh. Living in Hawaii for just a year is not worth the expense/hassle especially when it comes with 3 consecutive months of q3 surgery.

Surgical electives =/= 3 straight months of GS

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh. Living in Hawaii for just a year is not worth the expense/hassle especially when it comes with 3 consecutive months of q3 surgery.

Surgical electives =/= 3 straight months of GS

Yeah I have a friend who did Hawaii TY and said it was brutal. Why spend all that time and money to live in paradise if you can't enjoy it?

Anybody heard from Mayo? Based on that interview thread you posted up they are overdue on sending out invites.

You guys are so paranoid; it's still early. I only applied to 9 TYs, the three I am most interested in being either associated with my school or nearby. Maybe I should do some prelims, but $85 seems like such a waste.

It's not a matter of being paranoid, it's not really that at all. This is a message board, and within it, a thread about our graduating class going through the process of the match. We are discussing our views and thought processes with one another, that's pretty much the gist of what we're doing here. Many of us have been SDN posters since the first year of medical school and have seen each other's posts for just as long (I actually think BAHD looks like his avatar lol).

Also $85 is insignificant next to your student loans. If you want to apply to some prelims, I say go for it, if money is your only object.

Yeah I have a friend who did Hawaii TY and said it was brutal. Why spend all that time and money to live in paradise if you can't enjoy it?

Anybody heard from Mayo? Based on that interview thread you posted up they are overdue on sending out invites.

didn't apply there but I haven't seen anyone post anything about a Mayo invite on Aunt Minnie

It's not a matter of being paranoid, it's not really that at all. This is a message board, and within it, a thread about our graduating class going through the process of the match. We are discussing our views and thought processes with one another, that's pretty much the gist of what we're doing here. Many of us have been SDN posters since the first year of medical school and have seen each other's posts for just as long (I actually think BAHD looks like his avatar lol).

Also $85 is insignificant next to your student loans. If you want to apply to some prelims, I say go for it, if money is your only object.

I think the same thing and was very thrown off when I saw another poster with his avatar

I imagine most of us on SDN have similar scores, and thus applied to the same places.

That said....

I will look at each rad hopeful at all of my interviews, and ask myself, "Could you be [insert SDN screen name]?"

:ninja:

Yeah, but many of you are actually paranoid. It's still September, you can't be panicking and adding programs already; that is just craziness. There's no reason to even be worried about it.

I know it's not that much, but it seems to me like I should be able to match to the TYs I want to go to here, and the only prelim I'd really apply to is here as well. Being married, I do not want to move twice, and have no plans on doing so. It might be a gamble, though.

Yeah, but many of you are actually paranoid. It's still September, you can't be panicking and adding programs already; that is just craziness. There's no reason to even be worried about it.

I know it's not that much, but it seems to me like I should be able to match to the TYs I want to go to here, and the only prelim I'd really apply to is here as well. Being married, I do not want to move twice, and have no plans on doing so. It might be a gamble, though.
I too would like to only move once. What is your strategy for scheduling TY/Prelims?
Are you going to make two trips to some of these cities?

When is a reasonable time to get worried? How many programs do you need to send out invites but pass you over before you get worried?

When is a reasonable time to get worried? How many programs do you need to send out invites but pass you over before you get worried?

You shouldn't be worried, period. But looking back at the list, so many programs sent out their invites late October and into November. I am betting many of the programs I applied to and looked at are also the ones you applied to. Therefore I would wait at least another month before starting to worry. Plus, there are multiple rounds of offers to go out, it's not like you're sunk at these programs. I think medical students are inherently worriers (and often whiners, although that isn't applicable here), but most people that have posted in these threads here are incredibly well-qualified. Just trust the system.

I too would like to only move once. What is your strategy for scheduling TY/Prelims?
Are you going to make two trips to some of these cities?

Well, like I said I only applied to 9 TYs and no prelims. I hope to interview at the 3 close to me. The others I applied to in locations close to the programs I am most interested in. I think 3 are in one state in particular where there are also multiple programs. I have a feeling (hopefully) that I will have to travel there multiple times. But my plan is honestly to stay right where I am. There is a decent program associated with my school, a program in an affiliated hospital and one an hour away. I would hope I can match to one of these given the number of spots and the fact that they are associated with my school. The other programs I will interview at when I can, but I would not interview at them all if they all offered me interviews, because I know I'll end up having to travel too many times for it to be useful.

Then you have a more than justifiable reason to make every effort to stay close, i think $85 is more than worth it to increase your chances of not having to move more than once. Apply to a couple categoricals only and see what happens if you're not too keen on prelim medicine. That way, you're ensured of all 5 years at one place if you're going to be doing prelim over TY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two notes from today.
1) Don't give up hope if you didn't hear from a program on the same day it was posted on AM. I've gotten a couple now several days later than everyone else.

2) Step 2 sucked. Took today. Not quite the cake walk most made it out to be. We'll see in 3-4 weeks how it all worked out.

Two notes from today.
1) Don't give up hope if you didn't hear from a program on the same day it was posted on AM. I've gotten a couple now several days later than everyone else.

2) Step 2 sucked. Took today. Not quite the cake walk most made it out to be. We'll see in 3-4 weeks how it all worked out.

1 - how many days later? care to share which programs?

2 - I'm sure it's similar to Step 1 and most other standardized tests. People rarely feel good walking out of those tests unless they destroyed it (like 270+). I'm sure you did fine.

Now get off SDN (after you answer my question lol) and go do something fun

1 - how many days later? care to share which programs?

2 - I'm sure it's similar to Step 1 and most other standardized tests. People rarely feel good walking out of those tests unless they destroyed it (like 270+). I'm sure you did fine.

Now get off SDN (after you answer my question lol) and go do something fun

1. 2-4 days later. One I got about 1.5-2 wks later.

Don't worry, I'm going out tonight. Should be legen..........dary.

Another tip. Stay off of AM 2012 interview thread. Stay on SDN, much smaller and closer knit = less paranoia. Also remember, the bulk of interview offers start in later October and early november.

Another tip. Stay off of AM 2012 interview thread. Stay on SDN, much smaller and closer knit = less paranoia. Also remember, the bulk of interview offers start in later October and early november.

The AM thread is useful to see when programs are giving out invites. I know to be on the lookout for a few programs over the next few weeks because they have send out 1 or 2 waves already and most likely more waves are to come

The AM thread is useful to see when programs are giving out invites. I know to be on the lookout for a few programs over the next few weeks because they have send out 1 or 2 waves already and most likely more waves are to come

I'm just going with the "ignorance is bliss." :)

I'm just going with the "ignorance is bliss." :)

Maybe I'll be that way after I get an invite. But it helps me relax some seeing the thread bc not many programs have started sending them out and the ones that have so far have multiple waves. If it wasn't for the thread I'd be comparing myself to my classmates applying to rads who have offers already and feel like a loser.

Does anyone remember the link to the site about tracking interviews etc that was posted in this forum a while ago?

Its a site where you input the interviews you have received in order to organize them. I remember seeing it somewhere in the Rads forum and now I can't find it. It was a new site that was being advertised.

Its a site where you input the interviews you have received in order to organize them. I remember seeing it somewhere in the Rads forum and now I can't find it. It was a new site that was being advertised.

just make a google doc and organize by your own criteria. Freida stats would be a good place to start.

anyone get an interview from mayo yet? or know someone who did? thanks

anyone get an interview from mayo yet? or know someone who did? thanks

Nope. They are (probably) just later this year.

I think the AM thread is useful, but I do admit it has saddened me some because a program on my short list is up there but I haven't heard anything. But we'll see...

There is one called Match Dr. 2012. Free for up to 3 programs, then $2.99 for unlimited programs. Its pretty good and has the programs pre-entered. Search under the App store on iTunes.

There is one called Match Dr. 2012. Free for up to 3 programs, then $2.99 for unlimited programs. Its pretty good and has the programs pre-entered. Search under the App store on iTunes.

just downloaded this.. its.... ok? theres not enough users yet for there to be any feedback

just make a google doc and organize by your own criteria. Freida stats would be a good place to start.

I did this, but just an excel worksheet. it also helps me keep track of interview dates, flight numbers, and hotels.
I plan to update it with useful information about each program that i can use while ranking data. it's not hard to make a spreadsheet.

just downloaded this.. its.... ok? theres not enough users yet for there to be any feedback

yeh, agree... it only hit the stores a few days ago... i notice improvement every time i enter though... looks like the feedback will be really good in a week or two if it keeps up the current pace...

studying for step 2... anyone else? god, this blows. thinking end of october, first week of november at the latest ... after that interviews get busy

Another site that you may be referring to is www.interviewseason.com.

Full disclosure: this is my site that I started and this is its first year. If you have any questions you can contact me directly. There is also an old post of mine that has more info, and there is info on the homepage. I am a current rads resident. I couples matched with my wife who is Ortho. Our experiences, and that of some of our colleagues led to the creation of this site.

I checked your site out and thought it looked really useful. It's definitely a site I would use if I weren't so dirt poor. However, as cool and as useful as it looks, I just don't want to pay 50$ for something I can largely do on my own with excel. I see virtually no ads on your site, is there anyway you could make the site free (or perhaps less expensive) for users, but just include ads to help offset costs/generate $?

I couldn't help myself. I went to Aunt Minnie forums... I looked at last years interview invite thread and it looks like most interview invites came out mid to late October and just about every program was out by 11/15. Most interview dates are Dec/Jan. Some programs were exclusively Jan. California programs are late to invite as well as most Chicago programs (regions I am interested in particularly, others probably are the same but I didn't pay as much attention to those. I think NYC area also is in this category).

I totally understand. We knew the price would be a barrier to many and agnoized over whether or not we could charge less. In the end we realized that we couldn't do it for less and still maintain/develop/improve the site.

We don't have advertising on the site, and while it may happen in the future, the reality is that it's not going to happen for this interview season. Making sure that you have legit advertisers with ads that are not distracting or interfere with the site function is not as easy as it may seem. We chose to err on the side of making a stable, reliable, site dedicated to helping the members through the interview season.

I personally will not feel that the site has been successful unless members exit the interview season thinking that the site was worth significantly more than the membership fee. We think it's already there, and we're still improving it. Most of the current residents who went through the site for us said they would have paid over $100 for for membership. They also commented that they may not have recognized the value prior to going through the process. You can do almost everything we've done by yourself, but it takes a lot of time and energy to do it well. I'm sure you have better things to do.

The bottom line is that the membership fee is $50. All things considered it's a drop in the bucket, and the time/energy/stress the interviewseason will save you is worth far more than that. We want it to be the best $50 you spend the entire application cycle.

Does anyone know if it is okay (appropriate) to email the secretary of a prelim program at place where you already have a radiology interview and mention to them, "that if I am being considered for an interview, I am gonna be at your hospital interviewing on X date for radiology and would love the opportunity to interview for medicine as well" or something much more polished but along those lines?

thanks

Anyone else get faked out by that Colorado e-mail?

Anyone else get faked out by that Colorado e-mail?

Yes! I was super stoked for a second, then I read it and was like "oh, nevermind." I would love a U of Colorado interview, they do some awesome IR out there too.

Is it too late to add more programs?

I was wondering the same, but at the same time, step 2 isnt THAT huge of a deal. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth reaching a little higher.

I was wondering the same, but at the same time, step 2 isnt THAT huge of a deal. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth reaching a little higher.

I don't think it's too late and in the grand scheme of things adding a few more programs is a low risk/high reward situation.

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth reaching a little higher.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to add more reachable programs. 25$ a pop, I feel like I have to many big name places. :scared:
I'll probably add another 6 mid-tiers or so.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to add more reachable programs. 25$ a pop, I feel like I have to many big name places. :scared:
I'll probably add another 6 mid-tiers or so.

It can't hurt you. If there are programs you would go to why not? It's not like you have an obscene number of programs

sounds exciting to me Dr. B!

Over a month and 3 prelim/TY invites later I finally got my 1st rads invite :thumbup:

:soexcited: