Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
When is it a good time to panic if you haven't gotten a single interview? :eek:

I'm getting more worried about TY invites than rads at this point. Have only received one rejection and nothing else from the others that are apparently sending invites already.

I just got an email from one of the programs I scheduled an interview with a few weeks ago stating that I could no longer interview on the date I had selected (they didn't say why). Then they proceed to give me four alternate dates, none of which work for me, and expect me to shuffle my whole schedule around. I'm not in a position of power here but I'm really turned off to this program now and am seriously considering just walking away from their program, which I would probably rank pretty low anyway.

Very frustrating

I just got an email from one of the programs I scheduled an interview with a few weeks ago stating that I could no longer interview on the date I had selected (they didn't say why). Then they proceed to give me four alternate dates, none of which work for me, and expect me to shuffle my whole schedule around. I'm not in a position of power here but I'm really turned off to this program now and am seriously considering just walking away from their program, which I would probably rank pretty low anyway.

Very frustrating
I would ask to be put on the waiting list for any other days that work for you. Keeps the option open if you liked the program before.

When is it a good time to panic if you haven't gotten a single interview? :eek:

Starting to wonder this too... I only have an invite from my home program, which I would be happy to end up at, but I would appreciate some love from other programs.

Wondering if it's time for me to panic or worry about some random mistake or red flag in my application.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how this season is turning out for IMGs so far?
I am one myself and by the looks of it not a lot of IMGs have gotten interview yet. Is that true? cuz I haven't gotten any so far.
A number of things that are different compared to last few years (general impression from AM forums and Dr. TLM's comments) are: 1) Less total number of applicants, 2) More competitive candidates and 3) AMG's have applied to a lot more programs this year. Anyone has an idea as to how this would affect IMGs?

Def too early to panic. Maybe we can do a roll call on nov 4th. That's a good day, after mspe to see where everyone stands. I can create an anonymous submission email if people want.

I wouldn't mind doing that for this forum. I am not a fan of aunt Minnie.

Members don't see this ad :)
i def think its too early to panic. auntminnie is a skewed pool of applicants. not only have the vast majority of programs not even released one wave of invites yet, but even the programs that have released a wave have a few more waves to come. and people are going to start declining/cancelling interviews too. so no panicing now:)

We should do something, seeing when and where some of us are interviewing (although not publicly on the forum). I was surprised at how many interviews have gone out and how many interviews are coming up shortly. Did not expect so much to be going on at the end of Oct and early Nov. I have a feeling I applied to too many places and I bet a lot of others here did, too.

I just got 4 interviews in a span of 10 min and now I'm getting date conflicts cuz people are apparently even faster at responding to emails than i am. Grrr.

Glad things are finally moving though...

So I'm trying to pick a ck date and I'm thinking that taking it the week of the rsna would be good because there wouldn't be many interviews then. Initially I was trying to block off the first two weeks of Nov to study and take it but it's really making things tight interview wise. What do you think is better? Block off the two weeks to dedicate study time and get it over with, or study as I move around for IVs and bank on there not being any interviews the last week of November? This test is starting to be a real thorn.

the last week of december might be good too, doesnt seem like any programs are interviewing that week either.

the last week of december might be good too, doesnt seem like any programs are interviewing that week either.

im taking early November, before interviews start. don't try and juggle travel/interviews with step 2. will be hellish.

I just booked it for 12/9. Suboptimal but it is what it is.

Yea, I'm leaning towards just taking it the first couple weeks of Nov...it's getting to be a pain in the ass though. The same day I booked it for Nov 15 I received an invite where the only date that worked for me was Nov 14...lame. That and there have been multiple invites i've received where the dates began late Oct and and starting them then would have been ideal...whatever i guess, i'll live.

im taking early November, before interviews start. don't try and juggle travel/interviews with step 2. will be hellish.

I'm doing it Nov 23. Given most of the IVs I want won't start till December I think I'll be fine. I have Dec and Jan completely free so I'm going to be able to go on a lot on those months. Given I only have 1 interview now I doubt I'll even have the opportunity to schedule that many in November.

I'm doing it Nov 23. Given most of the IVs I want won't start till December I think I'll be fine. I have Dec and Jan completely free so I'm going to be able to go on a lot on those months. Given I only have 1 interview now I doubt I'll even have the opportunity to schedule that many in November.

Going the day before you myself. Sort of sucks now though as so many interviews came in late Oct/early Nov. Should be fun.

You guys shouldn't even sweat step2ck. The questions for the most part are pretty straight forward. And in terms of content, it tests mostly the bread and butter stuff of the core specialties. It was much easier than any of the shelf exams, imo.

dang, I missed out on pitt, UNC, wake and indiana. :(

Both pitt and wake send multiple waves. So, hang tight if you haven't heard from them yet. Indiana is going to send more invites as well. Their residency is huge. No way they're interviewing everyone they plan to rank on just three interview days.

Both pitt and wake send multiple waves. So, hang tight if you haven't heard from them yet. Indiana is going to send more invites as well. Their residency is huge. No way they're interviewing everyone they plan to rank on just three interview days.

I missed out on Pitt's 1st wave but got their 2nd. Bc of location and program size I think they interview a lot as well

Ok, so there seems to be some interest in generating an SDN radiology progress post. So what I will do, is I will create an anonymous gmail account next friday, the 14th of october. I will accept the submissions from all of you guys that weekend and post the stats on Monday the 17th. It seems that next week things are really gonna start moving as we cross into mid october. We'll do it again one week after the deans letters go out.

You can send it to me from any email, but even if your email somehow identifies you, no identifiers will be used in my post. It'll just say candidate 1, 2, and so on (in a randomized order too).

That should give everyone a good idea of where they stand albeit in a poor sample size (but something is better than nothing).

We just have to decide what information we want to have shared, I was thinking of something like this format:

Total # of Radiology Interviews:
Total # of Interviews Scheduled:
Cancelled:
Location of Interviews: (optional)
Transitional/Prelim interview invites:
scheduled:

Is there anything else worth reporting? I don't think interview dates are relevant because we can just get that from aunt minnie.

Ok, so there seems to be some interest in generating an SDN radiology progress post. So what I will do, is I will create an anonymous gmail account next friday, the 14th of october. I will accept the submissions from all of you guys that weekend and post the stats on Monday the 17th. It seems that next week things are really gonna start moving as we cross into mid october. We'll do it again one week after the deans letters go out.

You can send it to me from any email, but even if your email somehow identifies you, no identifiers will be used in my post. It'll just say candidate 1, 2, and so on (in a randomized order too).

That should give everyone a good idea of where they stand albeit in a poor sample size (but something is better than nothing).

We just have to decide what information we want to have shared, I was thinking of something like this format:

Total # of Radiology Interviews:
Total # of Interviews Scheduled:
Cancelled:
Location of Interviews: (optional)
Transitional/Prelim interview invites:
scheduled:

Is there anything else worth reporting? I don't think interview dates are relevant because we can just get that from aunt minnie.

I think this is fine, but to be honest, I'm more curious as to when you guys will be interviewing and where to see if we'll be at the same place some day. Might be nice to know.

Also, I missed out on UVA so far, and it's easily one of my top places...anxiously waiting on that one.

I think this is fine, but to be honest, I'm more curious as to when you guys will be interviewing and where to see if we'll be at the same place some day. Might be nice to know.

Also, I missed out on UVA so far, and it's easily one of my top places...anxiously waiting on that one.

yea, this is what i'd like to know. It'd be kinda cool to put faces to some of names even though im a bit of a lurker.

You guys shouldn't even sweat step2ck. The questions for the most part are pretty straight forward. And in terms of content, it tests mostly the bread and butter stuff of the core specialties. It was much easier than any of the shelf exams, imo.

I just want to reiterate this. I didn't do all that hot on the shelf exams but I ended up having a higher step 2ck score than step 1. Unlike step 1, this test doesn't have as many questions that seem to want to trick you. There's less esoteric stuff, and more of it is applicable to what you'll see on the floors, etc.
Besides, most programs won't even see your score until they rank applicants. That said, it would still be good to do well because, as one attending told me, your score will follow you and it will matter if you decide you want to switch specialities.

My first interview invitation was on Friday, September 29th. This past week has been great as I received 5 radiology interviews and a couple TY invites:)

Last edited:
Is it too late to add more programs? I realized I really just want to add one more in a "desirable" location.

Does anyone know which schools require Step 2 prior to ranking (UCSF traditionally has)? I found that Step 2 is required to "complete your application" on the MGH website (http://www.massgeneral.org/radiology/education/residency.aspx?id=67) but don't know what that means. I did well on my Step 1 and therefore delayed scheduling my Step 2. Now I am freaking out because I can't find any openings for Step 2 CS prior to the end of December which is the latest for programs to find out about scores prior to ranking. Appreciate any help.

are u saying mgh won't consider u till CS? I figured CK

If that's what you guys want then that's fine. But it would ruin all anonymity. We might as well just start a thread and not make it anonymous then.

If that's what you guys want then that's fine. But it would ruin all anonymity. We might as well just start a thread and not make it anonymous then.

Well, I was thinking that it would not be a thread as that would eliminate anonymity completely. PMs would be the place to start.

Well, I was thinking that it would not be a thread as that would eliminate anonymity completely. PMs would be the place to start.

We can make a google doc that would be invite only. People can put their info on there and you would have to PM me or maybe another volunteer on here for access.

finally getting prelims. I think my 2nd clinical letter finally being uploaded is getting me reviewed at more places.

1st rejection letter received today. Thankfully it wasn't from a rads or even a TY. It was Kaiser LA's prelim med program. Don't know if prelim med suddenly became more competitive, if they figured I was using them as backup (which is partly true but not completely bc I do desire being near fam in SoCal), or if they didn't consider me because I didn't apply to their rads program.

I have other prelim/ty invites so I'm not upset or worried, more perplexed than anything

I only have 4 prelim medicine interviews and one is from my school and another is from a hospital that invites all students from my school. Maybe programs worry about residency applicants before prelims?

I have a couple of TYs and 4 prelims.

Got the ol' thin letter from Mayo today. Sucks. First one. Not gonna whine about it, I've had good fortune thus far in the process, but it is definitely an ego blow, which we all probably need.

I have a couple of TYs and 4 prelims.

Got the ol' thin letter from Mayo today. Sucks. First one. Not gonna whine about it, I've had good fortune thus far in the process, but it is definitely an ego blow, which we all probably need.

With only 1 rads invite and only 1 TY invite I can safely say my ego has been sufficiently reduced. It's not as low as it was before my 1st invite and at least I have no rejections (didn't apply to Mayo though)

1st rejection letter received today. Thankfully it wasn't from a rads or even a TY. It was Kaiser LA's prelim med program. Don't know if prelim med suddenly became more competitive, if they figured I was using them as backup (which is partly true but not completely bc I do desire being near fam in SoCal), or if they didn't consider me because I didn't apply to their rads program.

I have other prelim/ty invites so I'm not upset or worried, more perplexed than anything

So far 2 prelim, 1 rads invite, and now Kaiser prelim rejection. I don't get it either, I DID apply to their rads program. (Been lurking awhile, but was also annoyed enough to post. I'm an LA area native and praying to back.)

I'm at 2 rads, 1 prelim, but all of the interviews I've received have been top choices. I think my app was late given my 2nd clinical letter was just uploaded last Friday and my transcript wasn't up till Oct 16th, but oh well.

I must say I'm a little nervous about only applying to 9 TYs. I think it might be too late to add prelims though, so I think I'm stuck. I only have 2 TY invites so far. 10 rads, but I couldn't schedule Mayo because they only had a couple dates left which didn't work. TYs have me stressed.

I must say I'm a little nervous about only applying to 9 TYs. I think it might be too late to add prelims though, so I think I'm stuck. I only have 2 TY invites so far. 10 rads, but I couldn't schedule Mayo because they only had a couple dates left which didn't work. TYs have me stressed.

Many TY's are still going out/haven't gone out yet. Heard back from Northshore today.

I'm still at 1 rads program but none of my top choices have sent out invites yet and most won't until November. Still vigorously checking emails though :D

Many TY's are still going out/haven't gone out yet. Heard back from Northshore today.

I'm still at 1 rads program but none of my top choices have sent out invites yet and most won't until November. Still vigorously checking emails though :D

Probably too late to add prelims, you think?