radiology in Germany or usa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merseysider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm a recent graduate from a non-European country
I speak German and I just finished USMLE step 1 and 2
I'm interested in radiology and I can't really decide between Germany or USA
Which one has a better residency program in radiology?
And which one give a better salary ?

Members don't see this ad.

Well that's a really tough question to answer as both have good residency programs BUT US in general has much better = well structured residency programs in General and once you get in, you usually finish residency within the structured time whereas in Germany, there is no such defined period of time. It usually lasts 5-6 years in Germany but it can take 1 or 2 or more years if you haven't completed the requirements. That is the definitely a drawback. An even bigger drawback is that most programs don't really have a well-defined structure to them (unlike the US competencies that are expected of residents), so this can be very tough for foreigners to get used to.

Of course, if you were to do residency at top hospitals (usually university hospitals) in Germany, you would get great training there as well. But these hospitals are very competitive among Germany medical graduates and so they're usually not open to foreigners. Foreigners usually get places in the rural areas (which are not very desired by German graduates).

In terms of salary, I think Germany pays around 4000 EUR before tax (so you take home around 2,300-2,500 EUR home), so that's around $40,000 per year without over time. As a resident in the US, starting salaries vary widely based on geographic location but 1st year residents can make anywhere from $45,000-53,000 (again depends on the area). Salaries in both countries increase every year albeit in small increments. If you're asking about salaries for practicing doctors (consultants/attendings), that's a whole another topic and clearly US is the winner there.

Radiologists can earn anywhere between $350,000-$400,000 and even higher if they specialize and get into private practice. German counterparts earn literally half or even lesser than that.

So I were you, I'd recommend you try for the US, since you've already finished Steps 1 and 2. But residency in extremely competitive if not impossible in both the countries (slightly easier in Germany).