Radiology Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

3rd year here. What's the best way to prepare for a radiology rotation? I am considering radio, but my comlex/usmle are on the lower side of competitive. I'd really like to get a good evaluation and letter, but more importantly, I'd like to try and compensate for what program directors see on paper.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology rotations are difficult for students or off-service interns because you cannot contribute in an appreciable way to the workload. The best thing you can do is have a high emotional quotient, which is obviously something that you cannot alter quickly. That is, you'll want to find the happy medium between showing interest and becoming a nuisance, which is not always easy to do. If you have the opportunity to give a lecture or do a case report, then that is probably the best way to shine. Also, because general radiology rotations tend to have the student move between services every 2-3 days, it's difficult to get to know anyone that might intercede on your behalf. Therefore, if it's an option, consider doing a subspecialty rotation, like in neuro or interventional, where you'll spend the whole month on one service. That will give you a better chance of getting to know an attending who might speak to your acumen.

Reactions: 1 users
You really need to know your anatomy!! That was the one thing I was very impressed about on my rad rotations. Those guys know the differential diagnosis of everything and how that relates to film. Know the ABCD of reading a chest xray. Know the orientation of CT slicing. Be sure you SHOW UP, I did my rotation and the radiologist was like," I didn't know 4th years showed up for rotations" Hmmm. That in itself was a big thing as I did a 2 week rotation in Vegas. As above, you cannot be in the way of the workload as dictations have to get done. Be sure to ask questions during the "down time" I personally found it very boring but informative.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I've been kinda wondering the same myself OP. I've asked residents going into rad and they say the biggest thing is to be interested cuz there really isn't much to do...

You guys that are interested in rads: are ya doing all your elective or away rotations in rads? mixing with other specialties?

I'm an M2 interested in rads and wondering if you should go all out rads or throw in a couple different specialties

I only did two fourth year electives, 1 general and 1 neuro rads. The rest I did surgery stuff. And I'm going to fellowship in IR. I didn't do any aways.

As far as how to prepare, yeah know the basic anatomy. But just don't be annoying. Learn to ask thoughtful questions about the studies when appropriate but don't be the tool who sits there the whole time asking questions while people are dictating

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I'm 95% sure I want to do radiology (yay!). Feels good to finally have a better idea what I want to do. I was wondering though, is there anyone that would be willing to provide me any insight/advice on setting up my fourth year audition rotations? This might be a silly question… but do you typically set up ALL of your away rotations in the specialty you want to pursue? I'm a DO applicant and would like to apply to both osteopathic and allopathic programs but didn't know how it all works with rads.

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I'm 95% sure I want to do radiology (yay!). Feels good to finally have a better idea what I want to do. I was wondering though, is there anyone that would be willing to provide me any insight/advice on setting up my fourth year audition rotations? This might be a silly question… but do you typically set up ALL of your away rotations in the specialty you want to pursue? I'm a DO applicant and would like to apply to both osteopathic and allopathic programs but didn't know how it all works with rads.

I'll try and share my limited knowledge as a fellow MS3 interested in Rads:

My understanding is that most allopathic students do all their aways in the specialty of interest.

However, I've heard of several osteopathic students doing aways in specialties that are just good to get LORs in (for Rads, that would be IM and surgery; Ben White recommends 4 LOR total, with only one being Rads). Personally, when I get VSAS access I'm going to try to do 2-3 IM aways and a Rads away (2 Rads electives total, as I did one with a community doc already).

If the difference between osteopathic and allopathic students and the way they do their aways is a real one and not just my incidental anecdotal experience, I would assume it is because allopathic students can get big-name LORs from higher-ups like PDs at their home institution whereas osteopathic students don't have a home institution to do so.

Reactions: 1 user