Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part 8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how's your studying going guys? are you freaking out? burned out?

this is our stress relief thread....or our group anxiety thread, whatever..... :laugh: :D

for those of you that have no idea what the mcat random threads are about, check out molly's explanation:

MollyMalone said:
It's basically a restaurant. That serves breaststicks. And lots of cute fruit and veggies. And is patronized by a HO. And Tucker Carlson. Vin Diesel, too. Lots of race car drivers eat here, as well. We're very well respected by the Amish... one girl in particular is here almost all the time.

The food is great if you're low on iron. It's not on the menu, but you can ask about the special secret garlic cure home recipe. One of the hostesses often makes weather predictions, but she's not always around. I think she has another job with the government. Or a government. Something like that. One of the other hostesses says "Bitch, please," a lot, but she's joking... don't take it personally.

Forget anything you've heard about the girl who died here from arsenic poisoning. That was a long time ago, and she's still alive, anyway... just busy so she doesn't come in as much. Besides, a little arsenic adds a lot of flavor to just about any dish.

Pretty flowers by the entrance, hey? Lilis, they are. Beautiful. And the music is totally hopping... we have our very own DJ. Looks a little like Brad Pitt.

I guess that's pretty much all you need to know. I'm usually in the corner booth over there drinking a nice glass of wine. You're welcome to join me, anytime. We're open 24/7.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO POST HERE, you're welcome to jump in at anytime. Here's the final tally from part 7:

Arsenic 1,194
beary 1,021
Nikki2002 934
Anastasis 878
WilliamsF1 868
jlw9698 757
oxeye 422
UMP 420
BrettBatchelor 379
Dr Durden 378
RAD11 359
Teerawit 302
ironmanf14 267
scentimint 250
MollyMalone 200
megboo 189
Crazy Canuck 182
mshheaddoc 180
lilithny 161
supernova33418 154
TypeA 126
gujuDoc 116
EvoDevo 83
Penny2004 39
QofQuimica 31
Pemberley 16
Noeljan 9
Darlaa 8
jamie_kee_mac85 8
polarbingbear 8
Tristero 7
dc52e55 5
Hernandez 5
gradu8in2003 4
StellarOrigins 4
stiffany 4
abadri421 4
rogerwilco 4
CanadianPremed 4
Dr. Pepper 4
medfool24 3
KentW 3
nittanylionmd 2
ADeadLois 2
jophe 2
spicedmanna 1
yellowledbetter 1
DRKUBA 1
jessie 1
IBF 1
Oschemi 1
simpleman 1
clsr2nrvna 1

Members don't see this ad.

Man, NOBODY is around today. The parking garages are basically empty.

And my micro attending is gone today and tomorrow = no scut = woot!

Hopefully will have 2 very productive days of signing out autopsies, writing autopsy reports, and preparing talks. :thumbup: I really need to catch up with everything this week since I am on autopsy call this weekend and go back on service on Jan 1! :scared:

Glad to hear you are feeling better Nik.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i have the flu

basically, family members (we're talking 20 or more) are throwing money in to see who can lose the most weight in one year.

whole idea was sparked cause i was making fun of my cousin eating pork rinds and her unhealthy eating habits. so it go to my family thinking about all their health problems as they get older, quite a few that are overweight... high blood pressure, high cholesterol. you know how it goes, you say you'll change how you eat, but it falls by the wayside.

2000 bucks is a nice incentive. so, on new years we're gonna start this. everyone gets weighed (which turned into a laughfest because we have to seperate it to men and women weighings)and photographed. we're gonna do a follow up in august so see how everyone's faring, and it also gives people who've been slacking some time to play catch up.

it's gotta be healthy. no weight loss that makes you look sickly. no surgeries.

Wel make sure you eat alot in the next few weeks ;)

If we keep this up we're going to annoy the hell out of the randomites attempting to wade through it in the morning ;)

Seriously....:rolleyes:

I thought you didn't celebrate Christmas? :confused:

:hardy: Hooray for Buddhamas though! :hardy:

Hey guys - I'm about to head to bed because I have a super early flight to catch. I hope you all have a very happy new year! I won't have internet access again until around the 3rd or so.

I expect this thread to be dead by then.

Aww, no Twin to pick on me for the next week. If only I could get rid of penguin too... :smuggrin:

Oh no Nik, feel better hon. :love:

I hope you get well soon!

Edit: Hooray for a rapid recovery! :clap:

Really quiet thread today!

I have had an exceptionally productive day at work. :D

(Wonder if the above two statements could be related in any way. )

Silly path HO, productivity is measured in number of SDN posts, not placentas cut up.

Hey random peeps! Merry Christmas!

Just got back home from So. Ill. and tired!

I had a really bad case of hives when I got there on the 23rd, and God love my mother she hooked me up with some Xanax and zyrtec because I was freaking out and itchy. We did a little experiment and stopped my thyroid medication (levothyroxine = generic brand) and lo and behold my hives were still present on the 24th but diminished, still there on the 25th but even more diminished, and today only had a couple hives and no itching. I'm going to keep off the medication for a few more days in my home environment and then take a script for Synthroid (the REAL stuff, not generic) to be filled.

One question, though - why wouldn't this have occured to my primary care doctor AND my allergist to have me stop with ALL meds I'm on?

Oh well, I'm glad I have a mom with common sense AND prescription powers.

So that was a wonderful Xmas present!!!!!!!!! I also got a really nice mantle clock from Joe.

What did everyone else get?

Hey random peeps! Merry Christmas!

Just got back home from So. Ill. and tired!

I had a really bad case of hives when I got there on the 23rd, and God love my mother she hooked me up with some Xanax and zyrtec because I was freaking out and itchy. We did a little experiment and stopped my thyroid medication (levothyroxine = generic brand) and lo and behold my hives were still present on the 24th but diminished, still there on the 25th but even more diminished, and today only had a couple hives and no itching. I'm going to keep off the medication for a few more days in my home environment and then take a script for Synthroid (the REAL stuff, not generic) to be filled.

One question, though - why wouldn't this have occured to my primary care doctor AND my allergist to have me stop with ALL meds I'm on?

Oh well, I'm glad I have a mom with common sense AND prescription powers.

So that was a wonderful Xmas present!!!!!!!!! I also got a really nice mantle clock from Joe.

What did everyone else get?

glad it resolved with the antihistamines, meg. had you just started using the levothyroxine instead of the synthroid?

Members don't see this ad :)
The mayors of Louisville and Winston Salem have bet on the winner of the Orange Bowl.

Louisville Wins: He gets Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Old Salem cookies, and a Hanes Sweatsuit.

WFU Wins: He gets Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

no one gets KFC?!?! wth? :smuggrin: :laugh:

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Good one!!

Nikki,

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Lilithny,

Hope you are better as well. BTW I second what Mushy said and say eat lots cuz once the bets on you won't be eating as much as you want. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: Just messing with you but this should be interesting.

Beary,

Glad to hear you don't have too much scut to do!!! Yay to being able to getting things done.

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Hope you are better as well. BTW I second what Mushy said and say eat lots cuz once the bets on you won't be eating as much as you want. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: Just messing with you but this should be interesting.

Beary,

Glad to hear you don't have too much scut to do!!! Yay to being able to getting things done.

Thanks guju!! Made such a huge difference in my day!

I honestly don't think I could lose weight even for a lot of money. I have MAJOR health motivations to lose weight and still haven't been able to do it. So I doubt money would do it either. It's so weird because I am so disciplined in some aspects of my life and so totally undisciplined in others.

glad it resolved with the antihistamines, meg. had you just started using the levothyroxine instead of the synthroid?

Yeah, apparently either my doc or the pharmacy substituted it for synthroid, which I was taking before. I'm also OK with levoxyl, which I took for probably 2 years prior to synthroid. Must be the fillers or dye in levothyroxine that were killing me. The antihistamines just kept it under control, and being off of my thyroid meds for a few days now has seriously reduced the hives. I saw 4 on me while taking a bath today.

I'll be tired from being off of thyroid meds for a while but I'm off this week anyway but now I know to make sure to get synthroid rx with no substitutions.

So for you future docs out there, if you have a pt. on thyroid meds that have hives and have done everything else possible - check out the thyroid meds! ;)

Thanks guju!! Made such a huge difference in my day!

I honestly don't think I could lose weight even for a lot of money. I have MAJOR health motivations to lose weight and still haven't been able to do it. So I doubt money would do it either. It's so weird because I am so disciplined in some aspects of my life and so totally undisciplined in others.

Joe and I have put on even more weight this holiday season :( So after the new year we're dieting together and just doing the frozen dinner diet - eating lean cuisine or similar for all meals and that's it.

cheaper than say nutrisystem or something like that.

For a little LOL:
My dad thought I was exaggerating and being overly melodramatic about my hives at Xmas time.

I would literally be scratching for hours straight and he kept telling me it was all in my head. He was actually getting annoyed and pissed at me, thinking I was doing it for attention - Until I decided to tuck my t-shirt up under my bra and put on shorts and show him that I was one big hive from head to toe. Then he wanted to take me to the ER! Ha!

Yeah, apparently either my doc or the pharmacy substituted it for synthroid, which I was taking before. I'm also OK with levoxyl, which I took for probably 2 years prior to synthroid. Must be the fillers or dye in levothyroxine that were killing me. The antihistamines just kept it under control, and being off of my thyroid meds for a few days now has seriously reduced the hives. I saw 4 on me while taking a bath today.

I'll be tired from being off of thyroid meds for a while but I'm off this week anyway but now I know to make sure to get synthroid rx with no substitutions.

So for you future docs out there, if you have a pt. on thyroid meds that have hives and have done everything else possible - check out the thyroid meds! ;)

Whoa! I am so glad you mentioned all this Meg! I have been itching (particularly at night) and I just thought I was nuts. But, I too take levothyroxine...maybe I should go back to Synthroid? :eek: Gee, I never thought of the fact that tiny pill could do anything. Heck, when I miss it, I don't really worry. :rolleyes:

My itching was always at night too. My mom explained in layman's terms that levothyroxine stays in your system up to a week and takes about 8-12 hours to take full effect in the body. I always took it in the morning so it made sense that my hives came at night then.

I did a "drug inventory" and went off of each one, one at a time to see if it was the culprit but none were. Because I HAVE to take thryoid meds everyday it never occurred to me that it was the culpirt until over the holidays. And now I feel a lot better. I'll know for sure when I start the Synthroid (probably will start it Saturday, giving myself a week off of levothyroxine).

I just want to say that I have started to love "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency" on the oxygen channel.

She is a crazy woman, but I lover her no-nonsense attitude. I just wish I could afford the same plastic surgeon.

Megboo - I'm so glad you finally narrowed it down!! :D :luck:

Just say Casion Royale, pretty good movie. Hubby is staying here tonight and leaving at 3am so I'm going to spend the night with him! Have a good one kids ... going to be COLD here this weekend. Need to get more wood for the fire place!

I just want to say that I have started to love "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency" on the oxygen channel.

She is a crazy woman, but I lover her no-nonsense attitude. I just wish I could afford the same plastic surgeon.

When I was home sick about a month ago, I watched a marathon of that show. It was a train wreck to me..I couldn't look away but I wanted to. Such funny stuff. She is no nonsense alright...but dude, the woman needs a bit of humility!

A SHOWER! I NEED A SHOWER. So, in the interest of all that is pleasantly smelling, I will head to where the water runs and the soap lathers. Until later my dear Randomites.

i have no desire to eat... it all comes up

why oh why am i sick during the holidays?!?!

exercise is bad for you...