Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I truly wonder how long it would take me to clean the house if I didn't get distracted by EVERYTHING I was picking up...

I conjecture approximately and hour and a half...instead of all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Game of Goats! Hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey swings, I hope you're doing better - I am so glad that when I was a college athlete I did not have vet school ambitions because there is no way I would have been able to keep up with everything and I'm sure it would have been very overwhelming. Keep your head up and enjoy your last year of eligibility though! Waiting a year or two for vet school won't be so bad. Think of those two years as whole new opportunities to do or learn something cool!

One of our classes is doing a fundraiser. Apparently when you order from this website, it ships the shirt to your house, so if anyone is interested, they are selling shirts that say "I just want to drink wine, save animals and take naps" and "I just want to drink beer, save animals, and take naps"
http://www.teespring.com/j2013WINE
http://www.teespring.com/j2013BEER

Asking for recommendation letters is nerve-wracking
And I feel weird having to do it so early, but all the people I'm asking for letters from are in Pittsburgh, so otherwise I wouldn't be able to talk to them about it in person until late August, which doesn't feel like enough time to me (especially with the whole September 1st verification process thing).
I need a drink.

And I feel weird having to do it so early, but all the people I'm asking for letters from are in Pittsburgh, so otherwise I wouldn't be able to talk to them about it in person until late August, which doesn't feel like enough time to me (especially with the whole September 1st verification process thing).
I need a drink.

Most people are happy to do so. Especially with enough time. Unless you made them angry or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
I need a drink.
I was terrified to ask for mine too...but it's kind of like ripping off a bandaid and it will feel sooooo nice once you've done it and the ball is in their court. The sooner, the better.

My exchange with the main veterinarian I shadowed during undergrad:
Allie: Dr. Big and Scary, I really value all the time you've taken to teach me things and let me observe you in your clinic. I was wondering if you would be willing to write me an outstanding letter of recommen--
Dr: NO
Allie: :eek: -silence- Oh....ok....wait...seriously?
Dr: No, just kidding. Of course.

Many laughs were had, unfortunately at my expense. They say the look on my face was priceless.

Reactions: 2 users
I was terrified to ask for mine too...but it's kind of like ripping off a bandaid and it will feel sooooo nice once you've done it and the ball is in their court. The sooner, the better.

Allie: Dr. Big and Scary, I really value all the time you've taken to teach me things and let me observe you in your clinic. I was wondering if you would be willing to write me an outstanding letter of recommen--

Many laughs were had, unfortunately at my expense. They say the look on my face was priceless.
I sent emails requesting to meet to discuss because I think if I had asked in person first I would have actually dropped dead.

I sent emails requesting to meet to discuss because I think if I had asked in person first I would have actually dropped dead.

lol, this is what I do too. Personally I think it's better because they know what you want to discuss beforehand and you're not catching them off guard.

lol, this is what I do too. Personally I think it's better because they know what you want to discuss beforehand and you're not catching them off guard.
That's what I thought, and was the advice my adviser gave. That way I'm prepared, they're prepared, I don't pass out from anxiety (probably), etc

And if they don't want to do it they can just straight up say no in the email and I don't have to cry in front of them :laugh:

:laugh:

I just asked one of the vets I worked with for a recommendation letter for something. She is actually a friend of mine now... this is our convo:

Me: "Hey, could you do me a favor"
Her: "No"
Me: "Great, I need you to write me a letter of recommendation."
Her: "I am not good at saying nice things about you."
Me: "I know, it is hard with how much you hate me, you only have to pretend for a few minutes though"
Her: "I'm not doing it"
Me: "Thank you"

Our friendship is based off sarcasm.

She actually just gave me the letter on Friday.... :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
I need a drink.
My mom basically asked the vet I worked with for me. It was embarrassing. I had been freaking out about needing to ask, then my mom & I ran into the vet at Target, and I was like, "Oh hey vet, this is my mom," and the vet was like "I just love working with your daughter, (or whatever)," and then my mom went "Has she asked you for a recommendation letter yet?" And I turned bright red. And was still incredibly nervous when I actually formally asked her for it later... to the point where one of the techs basically shouted across the room that I had something to ask her, so I couldn't keep avoiding it. And she didn't even starting working on recommendation letters until like 3 days before they were due... she had the time blocked out on her daily schedule.

My mom basically asked the vet I worked with for me. It was embarrassing. I had been freaking out about needing to ask, then my mom & I ran into the vet at Target, and I was like, "Oh hey vet, this is my mom," and the vet was like "I just love working with your daughter, (or whatever)," and then my mom went "Has she asked you for a recommendation letter yet?" And I turned bright red. And was still incredibly nervous when I actually formally asked her for it later... to the point where one of the techs basically shouted across the room that I had something to ask her, so I couldn't keep avoiding it. And she didn't even starting working on recommendation letters until like 3 days before they were due... she had the time blocked out on her daily schedule.
See these are the kinds of situations where I would have passed out/died. High pressure situations tend to reveal my social anxiety :bag:

Oh, moms. Mine tried to talk me up to our tour guide when I interviewed. Would have been great, if it weren't for the fact that our tour guide was an administrative professional in the dean's office with no influence on admissions whatsoever. Super embarrassing. :laugh:

I need a drink.
I was really nervous to ask for them too. My conversation when something like:
Me: (Really nervous) I'm applying to vet school this cycle, blah blah... Would you be willing to write--
Vets: (big smile) Of course!

Email does help. I was really nervous asking a professor for a letter, because I'm at a big school and made the mistake of not getting to know my professors, so I expected they would say no. It was easier to ask over email and they said yes anyway.

Also, I asked around this month, if not earlier, last year. I just told people that VMCAS wouldn't open until June, and then I emailed the link to VMCAS in June along with a nice reminder and a thank you. My evaluators were happy with the way I handled it and said they appreciated having plenty of time to do it.

Good luck! :luck:

I was really nervous to ask for them too. My conversation when something like:
Me: (Really nervous) I'm applying to vet school this cycle, blah blah... Would you be willing to write--
Vets: (big smile) Of course!

Email does help. I was really nervous asking a professor for a letter, because I'm at a big school and made the mistake of not getting to know my professors, so I expected they would say no. It was easier to ask over email and they said yes anyway.

Also, I asked around this month, if not earlier, last year. I just told people that VMCAS wouldn't open until June, and then I emailed the link to VMCAS in June along with a nice reminder and a thank you. My evaluators were happy with the way I handled it and said they appreciated having plenty of time to do it.

Good luck! :luck:
I made the mistake of not getting to know my science professors, but I'm one of only a handful of people that did really well in my biochem lab and I got compliments from my professor on all of my lab reports and other assignments so I asked him. :xf:
I also asked a lit professor who I've had 4 different classes with because he would be able to give a more personal recommendation than anyone else. If the science classes were as small as my writing and lit classes I wouldn't have such troubles haha.
And then I have the two vets who I've spent the most time working with, so I think I'm pretty solid.
Glad I'm not alone in the early asking thing. Sometimes it is really inconvenient to live 800 miles away from where I go to school.
And thanks! :D

I think I asked two of my LORs in person...I asked most of mine over the phone, actually...I was in Ireland the summer I was applying, so in-person wasn't really an option. ;)

I think I asked two of my LORs in person...I asked most of mine over the phone, actually...I was in Ireland the summer I was applying, so in-person wasn't really an option. ;)
Oh god phone would have been worse. I cannot handle phones. Something about the immediacy of a conversation without the facial and body language cues just throws me off.

See these are the kinds of situations where I would have passed out/died. High pressure situations tend to reveal my social anxiety :bag:
I'm the same way. Anxiety's a pain in the butt. People just don't get it, and don't understand why I can't just "get over it," and that the way I feel about these situations is not just the same way that everybody feels about these things. And it sucks because it get's in the way of your ability to do the things you want and be successful. :unsure: I have found it's gotten easier since I've been in school, though. When I was in undergrad, I couldn't even call a vet to ask to shadow... which is why it took me two years longer to apply to vet school.

I'm the same way. Anxiety's a pain in the butt. People just don't get it, and don't understand why I can't just "get over it," and that the way I feel about these situations is not just the same way that everybody feels about these things. And it sucks because it get's in the way of your ability to do the things you want and be successful. :unsure: I have found it's gotten easier since I've been in school, though. When I was in undergrad, I couldn't even call a vet to ask to shadow... which is why it took me two years longer to apply to vet school.
This exactly. I don't know how I would have done anything if email didn't exist. The vet I've worked with for two years is the medical director at the shelter I volunteer at here, so I was able to ask the volunteer coordinator about volunteering in the clinic and then work from there. But even then when I actually asked the vet about shadowing it was through email.
My interview for the aviary internship was over the phone by necessity. Even now I'm not sure how I answered questions coherently, let alone got the internship. I was in the Keys at the time, might have helped relax me or something :p

Oh god phone would have been worse. I cannot handle phones. Something about the immediacy of a conversation without the facial and body language cues just throws me off.
I always get really self-conscious about my body language. I liked the phone interview for a potential summer job better, too--I can fiddle with my bracelet as much as I want and they'll never "be distracted."

I made the mistake of not getting to know my science professors, but I'm one of only a handful of people that did really well in my biochem lab and I got compliments from my professor on all of my lab reports and other assignments so I asked him. :xf:
I also asked a lit professor who I've had 4 different classes with because he would be able to give a more personal recommendation than anyone else. If the science classes were as small as my writing and lit classes I wouldn't have such troubles haha.
And then I have the two vets who I've spent the most time working with, so I think I'm pretty solid.
Glad I'm not alone in the early asking thing. Sometimes it is really inconvenient to live 800 miles away from where I go to school.
And thanks! :D
That sounds like a better chance of a "yes" than the professor I asked. I had taken three science classes from him (all fairly large classes), but I never went to office hours because I generally worked or had another class, and I never had questions so I never had a reason to make an appointment outside of office hours. I'm surprised he was able to write more than "she listens to lectures, only falls asleep occasionally, and gets good grades. Obviously that will make her a good vet". :laugh:

That sounds like a better chance of a "yes" than the professor I asked. I had taken three science classes from him (all fairly large classes), but I never went to office hours because I generally worked or had another class, and I never had questions so I never had a reason to make an appointment outside of office hours. I'm surprised he was able to write more than "she listens to lectures, only falls asleep occasionally, and gets good grades. Obviously that will make her a good vet". :laugh:
I hear only falling asleep occasionally is a super important trait to have :p The never having questions is what always got me too. I know when people talk about getting to know your professors they say you have to try to think of questions or make an effort to think of something you want to know more about, but it seemed like it would just be fake and awkward to me :shrug: Much easier with my lit professor - smaller classes, I sit up front, we talk about movies, tv, and video games.

I hear only falling asleep occasionally is a super important trait to have :p The never having questions is what always got me too. I know when people talk about getting to know your professors they say you have to try to think of questions or make an effort to think of something you want to know more about, but it seemed like it would just be fake and awkward to me :shrug: Much easier with my lit professor - smaller classes, I sit up front, we talk about movies, tv, and video games.
I'm hoping it's a little better in vet school. I know I can come up with lots of questions related to physiology and other stuff that I would love to discuss with a professor, but I would have been faking interest in some of my undergrad stuff, and I felt bad taking up a professor's time to ask about something that I really didn't want to know more about.
Smaller classes are definitely nicer. And if it's a subject you're genuinely interested in, or at least information that you know you'll use.

Anyone else (who is going to an OOS school) having a little bit of anxiety about moving away and starting a new life? So many mixed feelings.. Most days I'm excited, but others it seems a bit awful that I will have to move away from my friends and everyone..

Anyone else (who is going to an OOS school) having a little bit of anxiety about moving away and starting a new life? So many mixed feelings.. Most days I'm excited, but others it seems a bit awful that I will have to move away from my friends and everyone..

I moved to another country and yeah, I had those feels. Once you get there and get settled it isn't so bad, it's just the anticipation that drives you crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
I moved to another country and yeah, I had those feels. Once you get there and get settled it isn't so bad, it's just the anticipation that drives you crazy.
Wowz!! That would be REALLY tough but exciting! Well that makes me feel better. I'm really excited about it, but I know there are relationships I have to let go of, and people I might never (or very rarely) see again. That's the hard part :/ growing up is hard XD

I'm definitely getting those mixed feelings. I have never lived out of state before and it's scary to think about moving far away from my friends and family. Thank god I have my husband moving with me though so it shouldn't be that bad for me.

I moved to another country...

To be honest, it is hard at first, but realize that you will have other classmates that are feeling the same things you are being far away from friends/family and you can talk with each other and help each other through the difficult parts. I will also tell you that once you get past the initial homesickness, it does get much better and you start to get into your own little life/routine and soon it is like normal. The hardest part is keeping up with old friends, try to make time when you can and send them random messages just to see what they are up to. Being far away can be hard, but it does get better with time and you do and will adjust. And if you ever want to just vent to people about it, you have a whole group of people here on SDN who have been there before.

As an aside, I was rather disappointed because I had set up to see a group of old friends/coworkers this past Friday and just happened to get the flu and start feeling really cruddy right before it was time to meet them for dinner. I went for a bit, but they knew something was wrong and told me to go home... hoping I can try to meet up again with everyone this summer.

I'm a homebody, and moved about 14 hours from all of my support. But my amazing roomies and friends here have become my family and I've learned to lean on them for support (when I am not used to doing so). It is a bit hard at first, and I've had my ups and downs, but I've been managing alright. You'll be fine, trust me! And if you have a pet, that has really really helped me out a lot... Beamer is my life out here.

I'm definitely getting those mixed feelings. I have never lived out of state before and it's scary to think about moving far away from my friends and family. Thank god I have my husband moving with me though so it shouldn't be that bad for me.
Yeah that is the same with me. I've always wanted to move states, but now that it is becoming reality it is a little intimidating! You are so lucky that you have a supportive partner who will follow you! I'm still looking for that one who would follow me.. I'll be ending a relationship to go to school. Trying to tell myself that anyone worth it would have followed me... But it's hard.

@DVMDream it is good to know that there are people out there who made it through this lol! You are right. I know I'll settle in, it's just time and getting to know new people. I definitely make an effort to keep up with old friends. My best friend went to undergrad OOS so I get plenty of practice keeping up with her :) and she is amazing because she puts in just as much effort, and has even offered to road trip with me to move me into my new home at the end of summer! That should help make me feel more at home initially.
Oh no! I feel like getting sick happens at the worst times (as if there was a GOOD time to get sick, haha). That is good that you will have a chance to see them in the summer though!

I'm a homebody, and moved about 14 hours from all of my support. But my amazing roomies and friends here have become my family and I've learned to lean on them for support (when I am not used to doing so). It is a bit hard at first, and I've had my ups and downs, but I've been managing alright. You'll be fine, trust me! And if you have a pet, that has really really helped me out a lot... Beamer is my life out here.
Yes, my horses will be my life savers as well as my rats! Unfortunately I'll have to leave my 2 dogs behind because they are family pets :( and my rabbit is so old that I think the drive would stress him to death. I'm glad to hear that everyone is so supportive in vet school!

Hey swings, I hope you're doing better - I am so glad that when I was a college athlete I did not have vet school ambitions because there is no way I would have been able to keep up with everything and I'm sure it would have been very overwhelming. Keep your head up and enjoy your last year of eligibility though! Waiting a year or two for vet school won't be so bad. Think of those two years as whole new opportunities to do or learn something cool!
Thank you for your kind words nyanko! I actually spoke with my coach on Friday and talked to her about some of my options. I went into her office with decision that I would no longer play, but left with the option of taking a year to redshirt and taking the harder classes during this upcoming year. She gave me the weekend to think about it, and I have decided that I will be choosing the redshirt option. It's gonna kill me to not compete in tournaments, but I think it'll be well worth the extra year of scholarship and opportunity. I would also like to thank everyone that has taken their time to reply and offer encouragement! I believe I have made the right decision for my future, though it may delay the process.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah that is the same with me. I've always wanted to move states, but now that it is becoming reality it is a little intimidating! You are so lucky that you have a supportive partner who will follow you! I'm still looking for that one who would follow me.. I'll be ending a relationship to go to school. Trying to tell myself that anyone worth it would have followed me... But it's hard.

Honestly, I think it's better if they don't follow you. I seriously don't know how people with SO's at school with them manage. My bf came to visit for a week last month and trying to juggle classes, studying, AND making time to spend with him was super stressful. I ended up being distant and irritable and just generally a crappy person to be around all week because I was so stressed out. Vet school SO's must be some of the most patient and supportive people in the world to be able to handle that on a daily basis.

Honestly, I think it's better if they don't follow you. I seriously don't know how people with SO's at school with them manage. My bf came to visit for a week last month and trying to juggle classes, studying, AND making time to spend with him was super stressful. I ended up being distant and irritable and just generally a crappy person to be around all week because I was so stressed out. Vet school SO's must be some of the most patient and supportive people in the world to be able to handle that on a daily basis.
Yeah I can see how that would be tough. I already have those kinds of issues in undergrad! It is hard for someone not in school to not take it personally when you can't see them regularly.

You are so lucky that you have a supportive partner who will follow you!... Trying to tell myself that anyone worth it would have followed me

I know you don't mean to offend, but there are a handful of us on here in LDR for vet school and we believe our SOs are "worth it" even though they didn't follow us; I know my husband is more than 100% worth it and I am so lucky to have such a patient guy waiting for me to come home. Believe me, I was freaking out when he told me he wasn't going to come up with me but like BD said, I think it's a good thing he isn't here because school requires so much time, energy and emotion that I feel as though I would have to half-ass either school or my relationship. People make it work and I admire them so much, but I'm glad I don't have to juggle that in school.

I moved to another country too and it's scary at first, but you'll settle in fine :)

I have a SO here with me, and it is rough. We are constantly in a bad place because he ISN'T patient and is isn't very supportive. He resents me in vet school a lot because I turned down a high paying job to come to vet school. He doesn't have a lot of friends here and so he depends on me for most of his entertainment. If I could do it differently, I would have him a couple hours away. I would make better grades, and we wouldn't be on the verge of breaking up all the time.

I'm almost glad my bf of 3.5 years won't have graduated undergrad yet by the time I (hopefully) start vet school. We've been long distance for all of undergrad because I'm in PA and he's in FL, and I honestly don't think I would be able to handle working in time with him now, let alone in vet school. I'm really impressed with people who are able to do it, but I just know I would feel awful and like I was neglecting him if he were around all the time.

I know you don't mean to offend, but there are a handful of us on here in LDR for vet school and we believe our SOs are "worth it" even though they didn't follow us; I know my husband is more than 100% worth it and I am so lucky to have such a patient guy waiting for me to come home. Believe me, I was freaking out when he told me he wasn't going to come up with me but like BD said, I think it's a good thing he isn't here because school requires so much time, energy and emotion that I feel as though I would have to half-ass either school or my relationship. People make it work and I admire them so much, but I'm glad I don't have to juggle that in school.

I moved to another country too and it's scary at first, but you'll settle in fine :)
Ah sorry! Yes I didn't mean to offend. Really what I meant was if your SO is willing to stick with you whether that be coming with you physically OR having a long distance relationship I admire that and think it is great. My situation will be neither of those unfortunately. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes distance= relationship over. For those who choose the other alternative I admire and envy very much. Basically I think it's awesome that some SOs will stick with their partner regardless of distance or scheduling conflicts.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a SO here with me, and it is rough. We are constantly in a bad place because he ISN'T patient and is isn't very supportive. He resents me in vet school a lot because I turned down a high paying job to come to vet school. He doesn't have a lot of friends here and so he depends on me for most of his entertainment. If I could do it differently, I would have him a couple hours away. I would make better grades, and we wouldn't be on the verge of breaking up all the time.
Wow sorry to hear that :( I had not thought of it that way at all!

Wow sorry to hear that :( I had not thought of it that way at all!

It is hard, especially when the SO relocates for you. They don't know anyone (usually) except maybe your friends and the SOs of your new vet school friends. And what a lot of people don't talk about, or care to admit, is that vet school changes you (or has the ability to change you). It is hard, it is taxing, and it is not always pleasant. It adds so much stress and pressure to you, that you turn into a stress-ball (or maybe an alcoholic...). You have to deal with the stress somehow. Some people party and drink, some people just become angry and anxious. The you that is in vet school is NOT the you that was pre-acceptance. And it is hard for your SO to process that unless they also went through professional school. I kinda feel bad for the SO as I used to be happy and laugh all the time. Now I'm grumpy. irritable, and always stressed out.

I think it is important to communicate with your SO your schedule and the amount of things you have to learn for the test. Some people have the SO help them study by quizzing them or whatnot so they can appreciate what you are trying to learn. For me, my SO would not be into that. I instead, just tell him when I'm going to be stressed and he should leave me alone. That doesn't always go over well...

I think it is important to communicate with your SO your schedule and the amount of things you have to learn for the test. Some people have the SO help them study by quizzing them or whatnot so they can appreciate what you are trying to learn. For me, my SO would not be into that. I instead, just tell him when I'm going to be stressed and he should leave me alone. That doesn't always go over well...

I do this. I tell my SO when there's a crappy chunk of tests coming up to prep him for it, and then when it comes I retreat to my solitary couch study nest and he occasionally drops in food, but ignores me otherwise. This works fabulously - he's much more of the chill and patient person in our partnership, and I am much more prone to getting frustrated and upsetting him (and myself). So if I know I'm going to be stressed and on edge, we try and minimize interactions that end with me being a bitch. :p

It's done us quite well so far, and I'm so very happy to nearly be done with this horrible semester...

It is hard, especially when the SO relocates for you. They don't know anyone (usually) except maybe your friends and the SOs of your new vet school friends. And what a lot of people don't talk about, or care to admit, is that vet school changes you (or has the ability to change you). It is hard, it is taxing, and it is not always pleasant. It adds so much stress and pressure to you, that you turn into a stress-ball (or maybe an alcoholic...). You have to deal with the stress somehow. Some people party and drink, some people just become angry and anxious. The you that is in vet school is NOT the you that was pre-acceptance. And it is hard for your SO to process that unless they also went through professional school. I kinda feel bad for the SO as I used to be happy and laugh all the time. Now I'm grumpy. irritable, and always stressed out.

Wow a whole new perspective... I'm starting to think that the single life might be the easy way to go in the long run now lol. And I do have my handsome gelding Adelaar (the grey in my avatar) to be my sweetheart when I get time for him on some weekends.