Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is hard, especially when the SO relocates for you. They don't know anyone (usually) except maybe your friends and the SOs of your new vet school friends. And what a lot of people don't talk about, or care to admit, is that vet school changes you (or has the ability to change you). It is hard, it is taxing, and it is not always pleasant. It adds so much stress and pressure to you, that you turn into a stress-ball (or maybe an alcoholic...). You have to deal with the stress somehow. Some people party and drink, some people just become angry and anxious. The you that is in vet school is NOT the you that was pre-acceptance. And it is hard for your SO to process that unless they also went through professional school. I kinda feel bad for the SO as I used to be happy and laugh all the time. Now I'm grumpy. irritable, and always stressed out.

I think it is important to communicate with your SO your schedule and the amount of things you have to learn for the test. Some people have the SO help them study by quizzing them or whatnot so they can appreciate what you are trying to learn. For me, my SO would not be into that. I instead, just tell him when I'm going to be stressed and he should leave me alone. That doesn't always go over well...
Gosh this really worries me and has been on my mind a lot lately. I am so worried that vet school will ruin our marriage. He is moving away from his friends and family for me and will not know anyone here but me. I know I am going to be super busy and I'm worried I won't have enough time for him. He is very supportive and happy to be doing this now but I'm afraid once we get there, he will realize how lonely it is. Any tips on how to make relationships work while in vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

My SO of more than 7 years told me right from the beginning he wouldn't move to PEI with me. He has a well paying career and a house. However, he has proved himself to be my biggest support system. He travels every other week to visit me which costs him $100/trip with bridge fair and gas. He brings me home cooked meals and helps me with my laundry and pets when he's here. Although, he is ready to settle down and start a family he happily sticks around and supports me 110% and I could never be more grateful that I have him. Since starting vet school our relationship has never been stronger.

Reactions: 1 user
Gosh this really worries me and has been on my mind a lot lately. I am so worried that vet school will ruin our marriage. He is moving away from his friends and family for me and will not know anyone here but me. I know I am going to be super busy and I'm worried I won't have enough time for him. He is very supportive and happy to be doing this now but I'm afraid once we get there, he will realize how lonely it is. Any tips on how to make relationships work while in vet school?

I recommend discussing in depth about the demand that vet school will have on you. If he is interested, involve him in your studies. Make one night a week date night, no matter what (this doesn't have to be expensive or really time consuming - dinner & a movie, board games, etc). Also make one hour a day his - talk about anything other than school. Watch a TV show, play a quick game of cards, go for a walk with the dogs, etc. Find classmates that have SOs that are also out of their comfort zone and get together early on so there is the opportunity to make new friends. A few of my classmates' SOs are like best friends now.

It can be done where relationship survive, and some even thrive. My issue is that my SO isn't super social and I've also had concurrent issues of chronic pain with my 3 herniated discs. I tend to take out all my frustration on him every time he does something even slightly annoying.

And remember - vet school is transient. Only 4 years and it will be over. And SDN is always here for advice and support!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I live with my husband of 7 years and talk about nothing but vet school and we aren't divorced yet.

One more year of crap and then we can start (the next part of) our life together!

Reactions: 1 users

I would encourage him to be independent and make friends aside from you and your circle because whenever vet students are together, conversation is invariably about vet school, exams, professors, etc. He could look up local Meet Ups, take up a new hobby, etc. I think it's important to have non-vet school time with him like Jam said, but no matter how you try to prepare him it's going to be at least somewhat overwhelming just how time intensive and life-consuming it is.

One more year of crap and then we can start (the next part of) our life together!

I can't wait to actually start our real life. When I graduate it'll be just about our two year marriage anniversary and we'll have spent maybe half of that together. We had a ton of time together before vet school obviously, but it's just not the same. Ugh.

I know I'll end up specializing and doing a residency so I'm basically gonna be alone forever... Again, good thing I have my horses to love on.

I know I'll end up specializing and doing a residency so I'm basically gonna be alone forever... Again, good thing I have my horses to love on.

Sounds like me except I'll be the golden retriever/dog show lady :p

Sounds like me except I'll be the golden retriever/dog show lady :p
At least i'm not the only one!! It's gonna suck though cause I'm a tad boy crazy. I just know it will be impossible to find one who will go through all that with me XD

At least i'm not the only one!! It's gonna suck though cause I'm a tad boy crazy. I just know it will be impossible to find one who will go through all that with me XD

Nope, definitely not the only one at all! Sometimes being single gets to me, but then other times I'm thankful for it...
There really isn't a single person in my class I'd date though. I struggle trying to get out and meet new people... especially with crazy vet school schedules. I just want to meet the right person!!

According to Peoplesoft, I am currently registered in SPAN 203 Beginner's Spanish II.

:wtf:

It's like a recurring nightmare is sort of coming to life where I am registered in a course I never knew about, never went to and will have an F on my transcript forever and ever because of it...

I called the registrar and they're putting in a request for a retroactive drop thankfully. I'll be interested in finding out why one of the vet school's admins that registered me in my courses (for the veterinary program) had me in a beginner Spanish class that I technically completed years ago. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Peoplesoft, I am currently registered in SPAN 203 Beginner's Spanish II.

:wtf:

It's like a recurring nightmare is sort of coming to life where I am registered in a course I never knew about, never went to and will have an F on my transcript forever and ever because of it...

I called the registrar and they're putting in a request for a retroactive drop thankfully. I'll be interested in finding out why one of the vet school's admins that registered me in my courses (for the veterinary program) had me in a beginner Spanish class that I technically completed years ago. :laugh:

A subtle message that they think your Spanish sucks? :laugh:

It's amazing how much you forget after years of not using it. :eek:

(it really does suck..lol)
Just this weekend our housekeeper needed a ride home. She only speaks Spanish and since I've taken 5 years of it I volunteered. Yeah....bad idea. 5 years is fine and dandy but if you don't speak it for 4 years, don't expect to remember much :p there was a lot of slamming on my breaks and "oy, aqui aqui!!!!!" shouted lol

It's amazing how much you forget after years of not using it. :eek:

(it really does suck..lol)

When we were at St. Hy for the CVMA Symposium I figured, no big deal, French was a long time ago but I still remember enough to get by. At dinner one night my friend dropped her fork so I asked the waitress in French if she could bring a new one. She laughed. She did indeed bring a new fork, but I can only imagine what I may have actually said . . .

So I've been thinking of getting a second kitty for a while... really tempted by this little special needs (cerebellar hypoplasia) guy. Just look at that face:

RyIlsu7.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
So I've been thinking of getting a second kitty for a while... really tempted by this little special needs (cerebellar hypoplasia) guy. Just look at that face:

RyIlsu7.jpg

He's so derpy! One of our profs here swears cerebellar hypoplasia cats are the best pets and totally happy even with their disabilities. I think I would just laugh at one constantly. And then I'd feel guilty.

Reading through the FAQs:

Should I register as myself, or a roleplay character?
The website sort of plays up both angles, so it's entirely up to you. Many people use the site as a RP experience, and some want to feel like it's their life.

Um, duh?

One of our classes is doing a fundraiser. Apparently when you order from this website, it ships the shirt to your house, so if anyone is interested, they are selling shirts that say "I just want to drink wine, save animals and take naps" and "I just want to drink beer, save animals, and take naps"
http://www.teespring.com/j2013WINE
http://www.teespring.com/j2013BEER
Posted this on our page for you, since some people have talked about these shirts before.

Posted this on our page for you, since some people have talked about these shirts before.
cool thanks! i dont personally benefit, but i've seen this pinterest shirt so many times this semester from various friends that i figured there had to be other vet students out there that might actually take them up on getting it printed!

He's so derpy! One of our profs here swears cerebellar hypoplasia cats are the best pets and totally happy even with their disabilities. I think I would just laugh at one constantly. And then I'd feel guilty.

I'm waiting to hear back from his foster about how strongly impacted he is, but in the meantime have just been bingeing CH kitty youtube videos. I'm mildly in love.

Here is our class' music video that we have made! I have one more to share once it's up on You Tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
today i found out that my new apartment complex has a clause in their lease stating that i will not be allowed to have a methamphetamine lab in my kitchen. i mean, come on! how else am i supposed to pay off my student loans. this is outrageous!!:whistle:

Here is our classes music video that we have made! I have one more to share once it's up on You Tube.

I love how concerned those cows are about the student lying on the ground, haha! Great video! Thanks for sharing! :)

I took a physiology exam today, and it was kind of funny and kind of sad how many of the questions I could answer without having read the endocrine chapter, simply because of my cats with all their endocrine disorders. :rolleyes:

I'm reading the memoir of a veterinarian and the chapter I finished last night describes a case that she was never able to solve. I was able to come up with a possible diagnosis that was never brought up in the book. Who knows, I could be way off the mark for all I know, but it feels pretty darn good to know enough to even be able to consider a possible DDx, rather than just "huh, that sounds bad." :D

Anyone have any good yoga sites they like to use? I want to start incorporating it into my workouts but I don't really know where to start. I did yoga once in undergrad and enjoyed it. I'm fairly flexible and still have a decent amount of strength from lifting (obviously a different type of strength). I've done a few workouts on Pinterest and many of the poses I can do, but then there are many that are way beyond my ability and I have no idea how to build up to them.

Anyone have any good yoga sites they like to use? I want to start incorporating it into my workouts but I don't really know where to start. I did yoga once in undergrad and enjoyed it. I'm fairly flexible and still have a decent amount of strength from lifting (obviously a different type of strength). I've done a few workouts on Pinterest and many of the poses I can do, but then there are many that are way beyond my ability and I have no idea how to build up to them.
http://www.fitsugar.com/class-fitsugar not sure if you're looking for anything like this, but i love this website - such a large variety of things to try and each set is only 10 minutes (3 sets of 10 minutes often feels way more manageable than 30 minutes!). there are several yoga sets in there, you just have to pick them out :)

To all of my fellow Attack on Titan fandom friends... I'm happy this is a thing

Oh man, I forgot how awesome the AoT music is. Season 2, please happen. Pls.

All I know is right now a live-action film is planned... but all I want in life is more seasons. I really need to find time to read the manga *snicker* like that is going to happen soon.

All I know is right now a live-action film is planned... but all I want in life is more seasons. I really need to find time to read the manga *snicker* like that is going to happen soon.

It seems everyone is on board to make a second season...there just isn't enough material yet for that to happen. And I'd rather wait for something brilliant than get something half-a**ed.

And yes, you really should read the manga!

Health issues (mine and my moms) plus finals plus moving in 4 weeks and giving notice to my job are making thus a very tough couple of weeks. I just need the semester end to be here.

I routinely use the soundtrack as study music. Along with the Doctor Who and various Final Fantasy OSTs.

It seems everyone is on board to make a second season...there just isn't enough material yet for that to happen. And I'd rather wait for something brilliant than get something half-a**ed.

And yes, you really should read the manga!

Yeah, go read the manga. Do it yesterday

Got a new bookshelf :D open to suggestions for organization... And this is probably only 2/3 of my books!
I have all my many many books grouped into different genres, then alphabetically within the genres by author last name. My DVDs are all alphabetical by title. I'm not known for being a clean and orderly person, but my bookshelves are something I don't mess around with.