Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still log into subeta on a decently regular basis just to be up to date. But, don't do hardly anything on there, anymore. It's a shame.
I log in just because I have pretty much the best (if rather sacrilegious) username possible ("God") and am heartbroken by the thought of it getting recycled or whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I log in just because I have pretty much the best (if rather sacrilegious) username possible ("God") and am heartbroken by the thought of it getting recycled or whatnot.
That is a pretty epic username. People on there can be pretty cut-throat for names and things. Don't wanna lose them

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, wedding advice.
Do I buy the wedding gift for the shower, the wedding, or both? Broke post-bacc student problems.
Would it be an offense to not book a room at the hotel the bride and groom have picked? I don't have $300 for the two nights I'll be there.

Okay, wedding advice.
Do I buy the wedding gift for the shower, the wedding, or both? Broke post-bacc student problems.
Would it be an offense to not book a room at the hotel the bride and groom have picked? I don't have $300 for the two nights I'll be there.
True story: You're not really obligated to buy a gift at all ;) But, the bridal shower tends to include more of the gift opening stuff, at least in my experience, so I would go with that if you feel like you need to buy something. This is assuming you are closer to the bride than the groom. If you want to get some shared thing for both of them (what do people by for wedding gifts? Usually practical house stuff right?) then perhaps a wedding gift would be more appropriate. Really kind of depends on your relationship with the couple and their expectations.
And I don't think it would be an offense to stay at a hotel you can afford, if they're not covering the cost of the rooms.

True story: You're not really obligated to buy a gift at all ;) But, the bridal shower tends to include more of the gift opening stuff, at least in my experience, so I would go with that if you feel like you need to buy something. This is assuming you are closer to the bride than the groom. If you want to get some shared thing for both of them (what do people by for wedding gifts? Usually practical house stuff right?) then perhaps a wedding gift would be more appropriate. Really kind of depends on your relationship with the couple and their expectations.
And I don't think it would be an offense to stay at a hotel you can afford, if they're not covering the cost of the rooms.
Thanks WZ. I've never done a wedding thing on my own, I was always lumped with my family. Stressin' hardcore lol

Thanks WZ. I've never done a wedding thing on my own, I was always lumped with my family. Stressin' hardcore lol

Don't worry about the hotel at all. It's only better if you plan on drinking, otherwise go where it's cheaper!

You can definitely only do a gift for the shower or the wedding. It's a lot for both, I agree.

Okay, wedding advice.
For my friends upcoming wedding I bought these airtight canisters (for food storage) they had registered for. I got them 3 different sizes and they got the medium one for the wedding shower and the other two will be for the actual event. That's how I handled it, and the canisters were fairly inexpensive, so I think it'll work out nicely, although I did get some funny looks when they opened their shower gift of one airtight canister...

Okay, wedding advice.

I've found that there's the "technical" etiquette, and what people usually expect. Technically, you aren't required to buy a gift for either, but most couples are going to expect a gift from the people who attend. There's a good chance that they might be offended if you don't give one. Showers are usually specifically for gift-giving, so it might be really awkward to show up without one (unless the hostess has specifically said "no gifts"). If I couldn't afford a gift for both, I would pass on attending the shower.

As far as the hotel - you're not obligated to stay where they have rooms blocked off.

That's it... finding random person to marry because DOUBLE GIFTS! (I will request only cash gifts please, I don't need any kitchen supplies or other home supplies, thanks). ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's it... finding random person to marry because DOUBLE GIFTS! (I will request only cash gifts please, I don't need any kitchen supplies or other home supplies, thanks). ;)

I'm just upset that my husband and I missed out on the whole honeymoon fund thing.

Okay, wedding advice.

I think of a budget and split my budget so that I can give a gift at both. Usually something smaller for the shower (where the gift opening is almost always "public") and one for the wedding, where the bride and groom will open it on their own sweet time. If you really really can't afford it, I'd do as Gem said and skip the shower and just give a wedding gift. No need to stay at the expensive hotel, either.

FWIW, you don't need to spend a lot to get a nice gift. Even printing out a cute picture of them and putting it in a nice frame with a sweet note is a good gift, but inexpensive.

My new favorite wedding gift, that costs almost nothing, is to take the wedding invitation, slice it into little strips, wrap them in a spiral around a pencil and stuff the pieces in a clear class Christmas ball. Like this:
IMG_9568.JPG

Pieces that don't have writing or design that you care to be visible can be curled into a spiral disc to save space. I ordered a box of clear ornaments from amazon for maybe $12 and I use them for wedding and baby shower gifts.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm moving this conversation out of the "costs of attending vet school" thread here, since it's gotten way off topic.

Um....no. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with that logic. I know plenty of women in service who aren't sleeping with their peers, and I think that's a very bad way to look at women in service (and men, for that matter). We could go into this further and talk about things that happen to women/men without their consent, but this isn't the place for that. In reality, requiring birth control in order to prevent pregnancy/menstruation is likely only to prevent pregnancies that result from those events where consent is not involved (said events are disturbingly frequent in the military, and those are just the reported numbers).

Just because there are men and women who aren't sleeping with their peers doesn't mean that the military doesn't have to deal with the reality of people who ARE sleeping with their peers. That's not a bad way of looking at women or men in the service. It's just reality. My husband served 21 years, and my father served 22. I have nothing but respect for the men AND women in the military, and the sacrifices they make.

Saying that birth control is only likely to prevent pregnancies that happen from non-consensual sex has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Really? I don't even know where to begin on that one...

I'm moving this conversation out of the "costs of attending vet school" thread here, since it's gotten way off topic.

Just because there are men and women who aren't sleeping with their peers doesn't mean that the military doesn't have to deal with the reality of people who ARE sleeping with their peers. That's not a bad way of looking at women or men in the service. It's just reality. My husband served 21 years, and my father served 22. I have nothing but respect for the men AND women in the military, and the sacrifices they make.

Saying that birth control is only likely to prevent pregnancies that happen from non-consensual sex has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Really? I don't even know where to begin on that one...
It's not ridiculous. If a woman becomes pregnant due to rape (mind you, the women has to prove she was raped. We all know how that story usually goes), the military is required to foot the bill for the abortion and any medical expenses thereafter. Which do you think is cheapest? Providing and/or requiring birth control, paying for abortion/further medical expenses, or allowing a pregnant woman (regardless of how she conceived) to terminate her deployment early? I'll tell you....it's the first one.

I'm just following your thought that birth control is strictly to prevent pregnancies in the military because we are assuming that a woman will plan to have sex while she is deported with that logic. To be completely honest, unplanned pregnancies or those that result from rape occur because most women do not want to take birth control because they don't intend to have sex while being deployed. I mean really, if most college girls can get out of the dorms without being pregnant, I think it's safe to say most women in service can do it, too.

Again, I had to move my reply to this because it doesn't belong in the costs of vet school thread:

Well, this has been a problem ever since women were allowed to work in the military in any capacity. When my husband was in, right before every deployment, there would invariably be more than one woman on his ship who got pregnant. They were simply not deployed and continued to work on base until they reached the point in their pregnancy where the rules dictate you can no longer work. From what I understand, these women were redeployed after a certain period of time, something like 6 months after birth, IIRC. Women who get pregnant while deployed are likewise sent back home, but a Navy study has shown that loss of work time from pregnant women is no higher than loss of work time from men, who are often out due to disciplinary issues or non-service-related injuries. So it's not even clear that losing pregnant soldiers is a major contributor for loss of billets. And for what it's worth, there's a serious stigma attached to getting pregnant, since everyone automatically assumes you did it to get out of deployment or go home, and there's pressure to terminate. Which leads me to....

I wasn't talking about women in the military in general, or on deployment. I was talking specifically about direct ground combat, where you can't just send them home, and there aren't a bunch of other troops on stand-by that can easily pick-up where they left off. My response was to @pinkpuppy9 saying "Women in combat zones are sometimes required to take meds to halt their menstrual cycles. Now, I can completely understand the inconvenience of having a cycle....every girl can. But to say that a woman can only be in combat/certain positions if she eliminates one of the biological processes that define the gender because it is an inconvenience when compared to a male soldier.." Because I think she is incorrect in saying that the sole reason that women in combat are required to take birth control is because having a period is inconvenient.

So it seems to me that if there is a serious concern about pregnancies interrupting military operations, then there's still a lot more that the military can do to mitigate some of these problems.

I agree that there is room for improvement, but none of the things you mentioned that they can improve would take care of the problem of someone in direct combat becoming pregnant.

It's not ridiculous. If a woman becomes pregnant due to rape (mind you, the women has to prove she was raped. We all know how that story usually goes), the military is required to foot the bill for the abortion and any medical expenses thereafter. Which do you think is cheapest? Providing and/or requiring birth control, paying for abortion/further medical expenses, or allowing a pregnant woman (regardless of how she conceived) to terminate her deployment early? I'll tell you....it's the first one.

So, are you saying now that the reason the military requires birth control is so that they don't have to pay for an abortion if said women is raped by one of her fellow troops?

I'm just following your thought that birth control is strictly to prevent pregnancies in the military because we are assuming that a woman will plan to have sex while she is deported with that logic. To be completely honest, unplanned pregnancies or those that result from rape occur because most women do not want to take birth control because they don't intend to have sex while being deployed. I mean really, if most college girls can get out of the dorms without being pregnant, I think it's safe to say most women in service can do it, too.

My thought was never that birth control is strictly to prevent pregnancies in the military. My argument was that, when it comes to women in direct combat, there is more to the story than a period being an inconvenience. Whether or not they intend to get pregnant, or whether or not the reason they got pregnant was consensual or not. And, on that note, fellow service members are not the only possible perpetrators of that kind of thing to females in combat zones. Which is yet another reason my argument is valid.

I don't know where you're getting your facts about when or why women in the military take birth control, but they seem to be pretty distorted. As does your assumption about how many female service members are becoming pregnant due to non-consensual sex.

Again, I had to move my reply to this because it doesn't belong in the costs of vet school thread:

I wasn't talking about women in the military in general, or on deployment. I was talking specifically about direct ground combat, where you can't just send them home, and there aren't a bunch of other troops on stand-by that can easily pick-up where they left off. My response was to @pinkpuppy9 saying "Women in combat zones are sometimes required to take meds to halt their menstrual cycles. Now, I can completely understand the inconvenience of having a cycle....every girl can. But to say that a woman can only be in combat/certain positions if she eliminates one of the biological processes that define the gender because it is an inconvenience when compared to a male soldier.." Because I think she is incorrect in saying that the sole reason that women in combat are required to take birth control is because having a period is inconvenient.

I agree that there is room for improvement, but none of the things you mentioned that they can improve would take care of the problem of someone in direct combat becoming pregnant.
Women aren't even in direct combat right now, so that kind of defeats your argument right there.

So, are you saying now that the reason the military requires birth control is so that they don't have to pay for an abortion if said women is raped by one of her fellow troops?

My thought was never that birth control is strictly to prevent pregnancies in the military. My argument was that, when it comes to women in direct combat, there is more to the story than a period being an inconvenience. Whether or not they intend to get pregnant, or whether or not the reason they got pregnant was consensual or not. And, on that note, fellow service members are not the only possible perpetrators of that kind of thing to females in combat zones. Which is yet another reason my argument is valid.

I don't know where you're getting your facts about when or why women in the military take birth control, but they seem to be pretty distorted. As does your assumption about how many female service members are becoming pregnant due to non-consensual sex.
It certainly is one of the reasons. By preventing those pregnancies, they don't have to pay for them. Most women are now being provided with better birth control options to prevent said pregnancies. Again, woman are still trying to prove themselves 'worthy' of being placed in direct combat. We have a few women who have even passed the initial marine course, yet aren't allowed to go further. Citing direct combat in your argument would work perfectly well, if women were in direct combat.

Edit: My sources are women in the military, imagine that. I grew up in a town with a huge military presence, and many of my childhood friends followed in their parents' footsteps.

I just wanted to say thanks for moving this conversation! It was getting a little out of hand and inappropriate for a stickied thread.
Idk...for all of the questions that get asked about the scholarship, I think it's pretty important for people interested to know the reality of being in service.

Idk...for all of the questions that get asked about the scholarship, I think it's pretty important for people interested to know the reality of being in service.
But it changed from a discussion about scholarship opportunities in the military to a debate about birth control and the implications/intentions associated with women in service. Not exactly related to the original topic.

Reactions: 3 users
But it changed from a discussion about scholarship opportunities in the military to a debate about birth control and the implications/intentions associated with women in service. Not exactly related to the original topic.
It was more of an argument for the sake of having an argument. And lots of opinions. No helpful information at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Women aren't even in direct combat right now, so that kind of defeats your argument right there.

1. The ground combat exclusion policy was lifted in 2013.
2. In Iraq and Afghanistan, almost 200 female service members lost their lives in combat situations. They are often in ground combat areas in infantry foot patrol attachments, such as MP's, medics, logistics.
3. Have you ever heard of Jessica Lynch, who was a POW in Iraq, and raped during her captivity? How about Shoshana Johnson, also held as a POW in Iraq. Or Rhonda Cornum, also a POW in Iraq, who was raped in captivty?

Please do yourself a favor and do some research.

1. The ground combat exclusion policy was lifted in 2013.
2. In Iraq and Afghanistan, almost 200 female service members lost their lives in combat situations. They are often in ground combat areas in infantry foot patrol attachments, such as MP's, medics, logistics.
3. Have you ever heard of Jessica Lynch, who was a POW in Iraq, and raped during her captivity? How about Shoshana Johnson, also held as a POW in Iraq. Or Rhonda Cornum, also a POW in Iraq, who was raped in captivty?

Please do yourself a favor and do some research.
Yes, the ban was lifted, but women do not exist in the infantry. They are excluded from a whole host of other areas as well. They are in "supporting" roles, which, as you've listed above, are no safer/less demanding. I won't return the snark because I'm kind of getting disinterested in this...it ended what? A few weeks ago? If you wanna chat about it more, feel free to PM me.

How important is being mathematically exact when calculating drug doses? Today, I was reprimanded for calculating that a dog needed 0.89mL of strongid, and that it should have been 0.9mL. 0.01 is nothing crazy, I know. Coming from undergrad science courses, where not including every decimal place automatically makes your final answer wrong in computerized homework problems....I kind of got confused. How do you all normally do things?

How important is being mathematically exact when calculating drug doses? Today, I was reprimanded for calculating that a dog needed 0.89mL of strongid, and that it should have been 0.9mL. 0.01 is nothing crazy, I know. Coming from undergrad science courses, where not including every decimal place automatically makes your final answer wrong in computerized homework problems....I kind of got confused. How do you all normally do things?
well, it depends on the drug. pyrantel pamoate has a large margin of safety and can be rounded up. I wouldn't round up on anesthetic drugs, though.

well, it depends on the drug. pyrantel pamoate has a large margin of safety and can be rounded up. I wouldn't round up on anesthetic drugs, though.
Sometimes I wonder if there's just a big difference in education over the years or if different vets really just do things very differently on their own accord...

it definitely depends on the drug, but also, how are you measuring? you can measure 0.89ml accurately with a 1ml syringe, but you can't accurately measure 5.89ml with a 10ml syringe. to round up or down or not at all becomes a judgement call that you learn with experience.

i actually used to work at a practice that added a little extra to the strongid dose knowing that some would very likely get lost with administration, and knowing that it had a very wide margin of safety. i dont think you did something wrong trying to be exact, and ultimately, until you have your own veterinary license, your rounding judgement calls will fall on the person with the license (so they should probably be more gentle in their teachings).

My general rule of thumb is that I round (usually down, but it depends on the drug/dose/animal) to the nearest volume easily drawn up. If you don't, the tech who gives it will just round anyway. Or mumble under his/her breath about you. Or both.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes I wonder if there's just a big difference in education over the years or if different vets really just do things very differently on their own accord...
it mostly just sounds like a missed teaching opportunity. when you teach your staff the whys, they are more likely to catch a mistake. we're all human and thus we all make mistakes.

Well, I did use a 1ml syringe, but I was told it's impossible to measure out 0.89ml of anything no matter what. So yeah, lol. I definitely don't know enough to know what margins of error are safe for what drugs or anything. I just found it odd/funny that after years of being groomed to keep all of my decimal places, I'm being told to kick them to the curb for everything (temps, doses, etc). We round up for most of our anesthetics too, but our techs try to administer the bare minimum. So I guess an extra 0.1 or 0.2ml won't matter much, other than being wasted.

My general rule of thumb is that I round (usually down, but it depends on the drug/dose/animal) to the nearest volume easily drawn up. If you don't, the tech who gives it will just round anyway. Or mumble under his/her breath about you. Or both.

Damn, I was planning on making my techs draw up 1.87mL of a drug at some point... (I had to cut phenobarb into 1/8ths at one point as a tech... :yeahright:)

But in all seriousness, depends on the drug, the animal, etc, etc... Also really depends on your syringe, like jmo stated.

Well, I did use a 1ml syringe, but I was told it's impossible to measure out 0.89ml of anything no matter what. So yeah, lol. I definitely don't know enough to know what margins of error are safe for what drugs or anything. I just found it odd/funny that after years of being groomed to keep all of my decimal places, I'm being told to kick them to the curb for everything (temps, doses, etc). We round up for most of our anesthetics too, but our techs try to administer the bare minimum. So I guess an extra 0.1 or 0.2ml won't matter much, other than being wasted.

It might be a bit hard to get 0.89 on a 1mL syringe only because you have a mark at 0.88 and 0.9, but not one at 0.89 so you would have to "guess" the half-way point. But that is kind of being nit-picky really.

It might be a bit hard to get 0.89 on a 1mL syringe only because you have a mark at 0.88 and 0.9, but not one at 0.89 so you would have to "guess" the half-way point. But that is kind of being nit-picky really.
Our 1ml syringes have 0.01 marks :confused:

Damn, I was planning on making my techs draw up 1.87mL of a drug at some point... (I had to cut phenobarb into 1/8ths at one point as a tech... :yeahright:)

But in all seriousness, depends on the drug, the animal, etc, etc... Also really depends on your syringe, like jmo stated.
I had to do enalapril into 1/4s....I was a wreck

Our 1ml syringes have 0.01 marks :confused:
i knew you were drawing in a 1ml syringe ;) just adding in another example for arguments sake :) all the 1mls i'm familiar break down 0.01s as well. as to whether or not its accurate...i guess you'd have to look into the research and development behind the particular brand? i bet a pharmacist could tell you too with good sound reasoning (since accuracy to the finest and farest decimal place is kind of their job haha)

everyone is going to differ in their opinions on dosing and rounding and the likes. i bet if you put 10 people in a room, gave them a weight, dose range, and variety of dosing methods to choose from, you'd get 10 very different answers, and none would be wrong.

Can't decide if I want to join a pick-up field hockey league for this summer. Games are on Saturday's from 10-12 it looks like but I'm just concerned about how it will work with clinics. All of June I'm on Internal Med which means I'll almost always have patients on weekends and have some weekend responsibilities. It's also $68...but I miss field hockey and would love to play it again.

Can't decide if I want to join a pick-up field hockey league for this summer. Games are on Saturday's from 10-12 it looks like but I'm just concerned about how it will work with clinics. All of June I'm on Internal Med which means I'll almost always have patients on weekends and have some weekend responsibilities. It's also $68...but I miss field hockey and would love to play it again.
do it!!! more than ever, you need to have a way to let loose and take a break from clinics!

do it!!! more than ever, you need to have a way to let loose and take a break from clinics!

It's 10 AM to Noon, but I think it would still work. If Medicine weekend duties are like Soft Tissue, you are responsible for 8 AM (maybe 6 AM as well) and 6 PM treatments or all patients if you're the weekend treatment student. Will confirm with someone tomorrow, but leaning towards doing it. Guess I'll need to practice my stick skills again. Haven't played since my senior year of college.

It's 10 AM to Noon, but I think it would still work. If Medicine weekend duties are like Soft Tissue, you are responsible for 8 AM (maybe 6 AM as well) and 6 PM treatments or all patients if you're the weekend treatment student. Will confirm with someone tomorrow, but leaning towards doing it. Guess I'll need to practice my stick skills again. Haven't played since my senior year of college.
oh, that definitely wouldnt work with our schedule. i dont think i ever got out before early afternoon when i had inpatients (which was pretty much every weekend day) because we always had to wait around for bloodwork, wait around to round individually, wait around for owners to visit, wait around just for the sake of waiting around...meh. i really hope medicine is not like that for you, because its really obnoxious here

oh, that definitely wouldnt work with our schedule. i dont think i ever got out before early afternoon when i had inpatients (which was pretty much every weekend day) because we always had to wait around for bloodwork, wait around to round individually, wait around for owners to visit, wait around just for the sake of waiting around...meh. i really hope medicine is not like that for you, because its really obnoxious here

It might be actually now that I'm thinking back to it...which will really bum me out. I really want to play field hockey again. =(