Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to the Google Earth Day Quiz... I am a Komodo Dragon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
SO and I are considering getting engaged this summer but the fact that I am interested in doing surgery I don't know what kind of ring I should go with? (The only vets I've shadowed either don't wear their ring or are male and have a simple band). I don't want my SO to spend a lot of money on it but especially if I can't wear it most of the time. But at the same time I don't know if I like the idea of leaving it sitting at home, tying it to my scrubs, putting it around my neck etc.

What do those of you who are engaged/married do? Or vets you have been around do?

SO and I are considering getting engaged this summer but the fact that I am interested in doing surgery I don't know what kind of ring I should go with? (The only vets I've shadowed either don't wear their ring or are male and have a simple band). I don't want my SO to spend a lot of money on it but especially if I can't wear it most of the time. But at the same time I don't know if I like the idea of leaving it sitting at home, tying it to my scrubs, putting it around my neck etc.

What do those of you who are engaged/married do? Or vets you have been around do?
One doctor I worked with had a very large ring, and she regularly wore it, but removed it for surgery. I believe she kept it in a locked drawer in her office while in surgery because things have been stolen from our office before. I would likely do the same if I had an engagement ring.

My best friend is about to start a job in mixed (mostly large) animal practice, and she got a ~1ct princess cut engagement ring for flashiness but her wedding band is just a plain platinum band. She just wears the band at work/clinics and leaves the engagement ring at home, then on weekends or after work she puts the engagement ring back on. She didn't want to be taking the diamond on and off when palpating cattle (which she'll be doing a lot of) or surgeries and stuff and risk losing it or it getting really dirty.

I'm a 2nd year vet student interested in Equine. I've been engaged since the summer before vet school (and getting married in less than 6 weeks!).
My ring is a 1ct cushion cut with a diamond band (basically the Tiffany Novo, but not from Tiffany's). I wore the past two summers everyday while working for an Equine vet with no issues. I think if it was much bigger than 1ct I may have snagged it on more stuff. If I got the the opportunity to do a rectal palpation I just slide it on my other hand or put it on my necklace for the time being. I had to clean it more often but no real issues with it. Our jeweler suggested getting the wedding band soldered to the engagement ring after the wedding but I am NOT doing this. I want to be able to leave the engagement ring at home or be able to take it off and not have to take the wedding band off too. I'll probably end up wearing it on a necklace for most of clinics.

A couple surgeons I know have a ring tattooed on and keep their rings at home. Most of the surgeons I know tie it to their scrub bottoms. I've seen anything from a really massive diamond to just a band.

The surgeon I'm currently with ties hers to her scrubs. there are lots of engaged and married students who wear their rings on clinics. A majority of do tors seem to as well.

I wear mine most of the time. But I do tie to my scrub pants or attach to my Keychain when scrubbing in.

Some people put theirs on a chain around their neck, too

My engagement ring is tension set, so there are no prongs, nothing sticking up or out to snag on pockets, gloves, etc. (I put gloves on and off all day, lab animal vet). I didn't pick that style for that reason, I think tension set rings are so beautiful! But it does work well :) So I wear both of my rings all day, every day.

When scrubbing in for surgery, I used to put my rings on a chain around my neck. I lost that chain, so now I tie them to my scrub bottoms.

My engagement ring is tension set, so there are no prongs, nothing sticking up or out to snag on pockets, gloves, etc. (I put gloves on and off all day, lab animal vet). I didn't pick that style for that reason, I think tension set rings are so beautiful! But it does work well :) So I wear both of my rings all day, every day.

When scrubbing in for surgery, I used to put my rings on a chain around my neck. I lost that chain, so now I tie them to my scrub bottoms.
I didn't know what a tension set ring was so I looked it up and wow, they are gorgeous

I never really thought about it but looking back on pictures from a canine bowel obstruction surgery I observed, the vet I work for had her ring on under her gloves.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't be leaving your ring on during surgery. There's a reason you are forced to remove all jewelry during surgery in school.

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2443308/
Interesting study about leaving rings on while scrubbing (googled it because I was curious)

Not worried about the scrubbing, though the scrubbing could damage your ring so why would you want to wear it? Rings can easily puncture a hole in the gloves and when that happens you have to re-glove. Just not worth taking the chance.

Not worried about the scrubbing, though the scrubbing could damage your ring so why would you want to wear it? Rings can easily puncture a hole in the gloves and when that happens you have to re-glove. Just not worth taking the chance.

I don't disagree. It's easy to take a ring off so I don't know why someone wouldn't.

I don't disagree. It's easy to take a ring off so I don't know why someone wouldn't.

My parents, grandparents, great-grandparents ect. all left their wedding bands on since the day they got married. Never once took them off. Naturally, my mom and grandma were a little upset when I let them know I would to have to take it off for surgery, at least while I'm still in school. I'm not too worried about it but others may have the same family tradition. Also, I agree with the salt...some days my ring just doesn't want to come off, haha.

My parents, grandparents, great-grandparents ect. all left their wedding bands on since the day they got married. Never once took them off. Naturally, my mom and grandma were a little upset when I let them know I would to have to take it off for surgery, at least while I'm still in school. I'm not too worried about it but others may have the same family tradition. Also, I agree with the salt...some days my ring just doesn't want to come off, haha.

That's such a sweet tradition! :love: Sometimes I take mine off at night but that's about it. My husband has his band tattooed and only wears the ring itself maybe 50% of the time.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses, wasn't expecting on getting that many :)

Which is why it's a smart idea to get a very simple wedding band, and not the fancy-schmancy one that matches your engagement ring. Which I was not smart enough to do, lol. I'm too afraid of losing it to take it off and put it in my purse or a drawer or something. So my husband ended up getting me a simple band that I could wear on the regular without worrying about it getting damaged, and I only wear the one I got married with when I get dressed up.

Which is why it's a smart idea to get a very simple wedding band, and not the fancy-schmancy one that matches your engagement ring. Which I was not smart enough to do, lol. I'm too afraid of losing it to take it off and put it in my purse or a drawer or something. So my husband ended up getting me a simple band that I could wear on the regular without worrying about it getting damaged, and I only wear the one I got married with when I get dressed up.

I don't even have a wedding band. Just a single ring that he and I designed together. I would be crushed if I lost it, which is why I so rarely take it off.
I like the idea of a cheapo simple band to wear when the risk of losing or damaging it is high

Having a sort of pre-application season crisis. I'm not sure if I want to apply this year; I don't feel as if I have all my ducks in a row. I still want to go to vet school, but stick to applying in-state until the BF graduates college at least.

It's baby snake season and I've got snake fever baaaad. I've two complete set-ups just sitting around, being empty....that might just have to change this summer. :shifty:

Having a sort of pre-application season crisis. I'm not sure if I want to apply this year; I don't feel as if I have all my ducks in a row. I still want to go to vet school, but stick to applying in-state until the BF graduates college at least.
I've been having doubts about applying this year too. Most likely I'll end up going through with it, but I'm really dreading the whole process. VMCAS opens in a week and I have no idea where I'm going to apply other than my IS, because I've been so busy and stressed out and tired from work that I haven't made time to sit down and research schools. I also need to call around to LA/mixed animal clinics and see who's hiring or would be willing to let me shadow, so I'll hopefully have more variety of experience to put on my app this go-around. If I don't get my butt in gear really soon, my app will be essentially the same as last year's, other than adding all my hours from my current clinic job over the past year. Taking a year off from applying sounds really appealing, but on the other hand I just want to be in vet school already. Or at least to feel like my life is going somewhere.

I've been having doubts about applying this year too. Most likely I'll end up going through with it, but I'm really dreading the whole process. VMCAS opens in a week and I have no idea where I'm going to apply other than my IS, because I've been so busy and stressed out and tired from work that I haven't made time to sit down and research schools. I also need to call around to LA/mixed animal clinics and see who's hiring or would be willing to let me shadow, so I'll hopefully have more variety of experience to put on my app this go-around. If I don't get my butt in gear really soon, my app will be essentially the same as last year's, other than adding all my hours from my current clinic job over the past year. Taking a year off from applying sounds really appealing, but on the other hand I just want to be in vet school already. Or at least to feel like my life is going somewhere.
My thing is that I only have one vet on my side, and quite frankly I haven't known him too long. I can't count on him being able to write a kick-butt letter for me by the end of the summer. I've also contacted some LA clinics in my area and no one has called me back yet (though there's only two that's not affiliated with Purdue's services, and those are >20miles from my house). If I do apply it'll only be to my IS. Come next spring I will (hopefully) be working full-time as an equine breeding intern somewhere, and many places have already said that "You'll be working 6-7d a week, no guarantee you'll get time off to go fly to interviews" and that worries me too. The last couple years I knew exactly what I was putting on my app and how to shine (though I guess not bright enough), but this year I just feel like I'm in the dark.