Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a nice conversation about werewolf games with one of the anesthesia techs today.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for some perspective...how do all of you handle the unpredictability of working in a vet clinic? Unpredictable as in: One day you work 15 hours, then you are called off for four straight days since there are no/few appointments or the doctor isn't coming in. Then the next week is full of 12+ hour days.

To give some context to the question, I've been prescribed physical therapy (3x/week) for my shoulder. I went to my bosses about this, and got "Well hopefully you can find a place that opens at 5am or is open until 10pm." Now, physical therapy isn't life of death, but it's a chronic shoulder issue I'd like to resolve before I start school. If I could find a place open that early or late, I still wouldn't feel comfortable scheduling 9pm appointments, and I can't find those hours anyways. I don't think I'll be able to request time off for appointments since we HAVE to have the requests in 30+ days in advance. Leaving early/coming in late won't be an option. One of my coworkers currently has a warrant out for her arrest since she wasn't even allowed to leave 2 hours early to make a court appearance and they wouldn't give her a day off. Doubt they'll let me leave for doctor's appointments. I'd hate to leave people hanging, too. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Looking for some perspective...how do all of you handle the unpredictability of working in a vet clinic? Unpredictable as in: One day you work 15 hours, then you are called off for four straight days since there are no/few appointments or the doctor isn't coming in. Then the next week is full of 12+ hour days.

To give some context to the question, I've been prescribed physical therapy (3x/week) for my shoulder. I went to my bosses about this, and got "Well hopefully you can find a place that opens at 5am or is open until 10pm." Now, physical therapy isn't life of death, but it's a chronic shoulder issue I'd like to resolve before I start school. If I could find a place open that early or late, I still wouldn't feel comfortable scheduling 9pm appointments, and I can't find those hours anyways. I don't think I'll be able to request time off for appointments since we HAVE to have the requests in 30+ days in advance. Leaving early/coming in late won't be an option. One of my coworkers currently has a warrant out for her arrest since she wasn't even allowed to leave 2 hours early to make a court appearance and they wouldn't give her a day off. Doubt they'll let me leave for doctor's appointments. I'd hate to leave people hanging, too. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Quit. That kind of situation is toxic and not worth it. Or get a doctor's note that it is medically necessary.

As a boss, I try to give my techs their hours no matter what (even when it is slow). I also try to plan for slow days (i.e. summer here is slow so I need less techs and can schedule that in advance). If one of them came to me asking to come in late or leave early it would happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with Dyachei. Put in your two weeks notice, run far away, and don't ever look back. I know you've said you don't want to burn bridges with this clinic because they're willing to let you come back during breaks/summers, but it's so not worth it IMO. Your health has to come first, and surely there are other, better clinics who would hire you.

Yes, vet med is unpredictable, and sometimes you're going to get called in early or have to stay late, but 15-hour days, or being told that you're not needed when you were scheduled should NOT be regular occurrences. I'm amazed there are ever days with absolutely no appointments. Maybe the clinic I work at is just busier than most, but even when we had some huge snowstorms this year, we still had people coming in for their appointments, and not just emergencies/sick animals. Even on slower days, there's always plenty of cleaning/organizing to keep everyone busy. I feel like it should tell you something that this clinic is struggling that much to keep clients around. Also I feel like expecting you to put in requests for days off a month in advance is completely unreasonable. Life happens, and they should be willing to work with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah....I think quitting is gonna happen soon. For the no appointments, our doctor has a tendency to just not want to come in sometimes, so we have to cancel the day. She's also had a few health issues recently. Now I'm worrying that I won't find a place to work for the next few months...ugh

Yeah....I think quitting is gonna happen soon. For the no appointments, our doctor has a tendency to just not want to come in sometimes, so we have to cancel the day. She's also had a few health issues recently. Now I'm worrying that I won't find a place to work for the next few months...ugh
As an accepted student, you don't have to limit yourself to working in a vet clinic. I definitely get wanting to stay in the animal environment, but if you need to earn some monies, I would suggest expanding your job search to a summer job that will be easy to leave when you head to school and is a good enough pay check with as little drama as possible.

Not coming in just because she doesn't feel like it??? That's super unprofessional. So then you guys have to call and cancel the appointments for that day? I can't imagine that would sit well with clients. And then if someone calls needing an appointment for that day, I guess you'd just have to tell them "sorry, the doctor's not in today, you'll need to go somewhere else." That sounds like a good way to lose business. Is it just the one doctor at this clinic?

Not coming in just because she doesn't feel like it??? That's super unprofessional. So then you guys have to call and cancel the appointments for that day? I can't imagine that would sit well with clients. And then if someone calls needing an appointment for that day, I guess you'd just have to tell them "sorry, the doctor's not in today, you'll need to go somewhere else." That sounds like a good way to lose business. Is it just the one doctor at this clinic?
The latter part isn't really what happens. You just tell people you can't see anyone that day, can you schedule for tomorrow?

I'm a solo vet in my practice. Sometimes things come up. Clients tend to be understanding if there is an explanation

Typically, if the appointment is trying to be scheduled for a day we know she won't be in, we'll just say we can only see healthy pets for routine vaccinations. If we have to cancel, we call and ask to reschedule. It happens a LOT...enough that I was concerned about being let go within the first month. I've wondered how we stay afloat too, but then when we have 15 hour days because we accepted 5 emergencies and kept all regular appointments, I think it leaves financial flexibility

Edit: yep, there is only one vet at this practice and we also serve as an emergency clinic

Last edited:
The latter part isn't really what happens. You just tell people you can't see anyone that day, can you schedule for tomorrow?

I'm a solo vet in my practice. Sometimes things come up. Clients tend to be understanding if there is an explanation
I guess so, but I'm sure you don't take days off just because you don't feel like coming in. Illness or emergencies I understand. But if you're regularly having to call clients to reschedule or telling people you can't see their pet that day even though it's an emergency, eventually they're going to start taking their business elsewhere. Even if the receptionists don't say why the doctor's not there, if your vet is regularly unavailable when you need them (during normal business hours of course), it doesn't make much sense to keep coming back.

I guess so, but I'm sure you don't take days off just because you don't feel like coming in. Illness or emergencies I understand. But if you're regularly having to call clients to reschedule or telling people you can't see their pet that day even though it's an emergency, eventually they're going to start taking their business elsewhere. Even if the receptionists don't say why the doctor's not there, if your vet is regularly unavailable when you need them (during normal business hours of course), it doesn't make much sense to keep coming back.
I do have to take time off for doctor's appointments from time to time. More often than I would like. But really how is it different than "we are all booked up on monday, can you do tuesday?"

I do have to take time off for doctor's appointments from time to time. More often than I would like. But really how is it different than "we are all booked up on monday, can you do tuesday?"
If it happens as often as pinkpuppy says it does, and for no real reason, that gets old fast. And if you're too booked up to see a vaccine appointment or something the same day, that's understandable, but if someone calls with an emergency I'm sure it's hard to say "I'm sorry, we can't see you today." At least at the clinic I work at, we don't turn away people who call or walk in with emergencies just because we're too busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it happens as often as pinkpuppy says it does, and for no real reason, that gets old fast. And if you're too booked up to see a vaccine appointment or something the same day, that's understandable, but if someone calls with an emergency I'm sure it's hard to say "I'm sorry, we can't see you today." At least at the clinic I work at, we don't turn away people who call or walk in with emergencies just because we're too busy.
I know that the corporation I used to work at used to be sticklers for that. But I doubt this vet calls many days off in a row. So many clients probably just don't know. And emergencies are often only emergencies in the mind of the client. Ear infections, for instance are not emergencies

I know that the corporation I used to work at used to be sticklers for that. But I doubt this vet calls many days off in a row. So many clients probably just don't know.
True. But it still irks me that a medical professional would ever call in because they just don't want to come in that day. If this vet is going to demand that her employees put work before their health, she should at least display the same degree of work ethic.
And emergencies are often only emergencies in the mind of the client. Ear infections, for instance are not emergencies
Very true. If we're swamped, our receptionists do their best to determine over the phone if it's something that needs to be seen right away regardless, or if it can wait. If they're already there and it's not critical, we give them the option to wait or reschedule. It drives me crazy when people walk in for a nail trim or vaccines when we're already really busy.

I mean, it depends on what that statement really means. I'd rather have an engaged doctor in than not.
True, maybe I'm misinterpreting what pinkpuppy said. If there's a mental health issue or serious problems in her personal life going on, that's a different story than just laziness.

True, maybe I'm misinterpreting what pinkpuppy said. If there's a mental health issue or serious problems in her personal life going on, that's a different story than just laziness.
Part of it is medical, part of it is "well, we're not 100% booked today (ex: 3-4 appointments for the day). Call the appointments and fit them in on other days." She normally doesn't try to reschedule sick pets. She had a seizure a few months ago and 1 a year ago. Actually, we're all fairly worried over how she immediately resumed practicing, even surgeries, the week after her seizure. That can display great work ethic, but I think it might also be bad judgement, especially since she has no idea what is causing the seizures yet.

Edit: Even for today, we had several tech appointments for vaccines and two semi-annual exam appointments. She didn't come in because there were no sick pets and she wanted the full weekend off. How can we do exams with no doctor?

I mean it's gotten to the point where one of the techs was told she could have a day for a family member's funeral. REALLY? Yet the practice manager can have Wednesday (always the busiest day behind Monday) to go to Cedar Point.
Or get fired after telling her you need x,y, and z, times for medical appointment if she says you can't. And file for unemployment.
That's kinda what the tech told me...tell them you have 3 appointments a week. If they give me ****, put in my two weeks. And then get **** for those two weeks. Although the last several employees who have quit ended up doing so by walking out. So hopefully they'd see that I'm trying to avoid that.

It would be much harder to get unemployment if you quit though.

And in your state, is it legal for techs to give vaccines without the vet being in the building?

Part of it is medical, part of it is "well, we're not 100% booked today (ex: 3-4 appointments for the day). Call the appointments and fit them in on other days." She normally doesn't try to reschedule sick pets.
I guess that makes sense. But still, in my experience if a day looks slow to start out with, more often than not the schedule will end up filling in as the day goes on. Inevitably if someone comments that things are quiet, or that they're bored, that will quickly change. I would think she would at least offer to come in if people call needing appointments for that day. Personally I would rather work some slower days, but have a relatively steady workload each day, than have some days off but then every other day be slammed. I get that it's annoying coming into work if you're not needed, but if we're really slow, the vets sit and read, or play on their phones, or even watch Netflix. It's not like they're expected to find busy work like us techs are.

I guess that makes sense. But still, in my experience if a day looks slow to start out with, more often than not the schedule will end up filling in as the day goes on. Inevitably if someone comments that things are quiet, or that they're bored, that will quickly change. I would think she would at least offer to come in if people call needing appointments for that day. Personally I would rather work some slower days, but have a relatively steady workload each day, than have some days off but then every other day be slammed. I get that it's annoying coming into work if you're not needed, but if we're really slow, the vets sit and read, or play on their phones, or even watch Netflix. It's not like they're expected to find busy work like us techs are.
:rolleyes:

It would be much harder to get unemployment if you quit though.

And in your state, is it legal for techs to give vaccines without the vet being in the building?
Not exactly sure for Michigan. Our clinic policy is supposed to be that if the pet is on a wellness plan and we've seen them within the last month, they can get vaccines without another exam. On days the vet isn't in, we do things like that.

ETA: I didn't see anything wrong with that bolded part. Could just be me though. Probably because I heard enough techs bitch that the vet was just sitting in the office on FB, but if they had actually paid attention they would see that vet was actually discussing a difficult case with a vet friend or reading a vet article that happens to be on FB. Often times the techs see something on a vet's computer and assume they are just fooling around without realizing they are actually working or researching something.

Last edited:

Actually, if a clinic really is super busy or already swamped with emergencies it is better to send a stable emergency case down the road to the actual ER vet instead of spreading your staff and vets too thin to give the appropriate care to all patients. I wouldn't turn away something that needs stabilization now, but once stable or if stable enough to make the drive to the nearby ER clinic, I'm going to send them there if my clinic is already swamped and my staff is already being spread too thin.

Not exactly sure for Michigan. Our clinic policy is supposed to be that if the pet is on a wellness plan and we've seen them within the last month, they can get vaccines without another exam. On days the vet isn't in, we do things like that.
But what happens if the pet has a vaccine reaction?

There is nothing wrong with technician visits for vaccines that don't require an exam. The problem is giving vaccines without a dvm present on premise. In some states that is illegal. In Michigan, vaccines can be given by licensed technicians under direct supervision, so I guess it depends on what direct supervision is defined as in the state (in many states the doctor needs to be in earshot). Also I'm not sure how stringent the Michigan practice act is in non licensed assistants giving vaccines. And I'm pretty sure rabies vaccines must be given by a veterinarian for Michigan.

From an employer's perspective, an employee suddenly needing 3 days/week off is a nightmare. It makes scheduling turn into a complete bitch. Not that your bosses should have said what they did, but I think some realistic expectations are needed on both sides. It just isn't possible for an employer to guarantee one employee three specific days off each week and balance out the other time off requests from other employees. Now, I would expect an employer to at least make an attempt to work it out. I definitely would. I would try to give that employee a longer lunch period so they can get to their physical therapy sessions or allow them to come in at a later time and working nights or have them work an extra day each week but allow them to leave at 12-2PM instead of 5PM or later. There are ways to try to make it work and I'd definitely do my best to accommodate, but realistic expectations will be needed from the employee as well.

Now, you should be able to set up physical therapy appointments a month in advance. So since your employer is being a bitch, you could just request the three days you need off, but I doubt your employer goes for it.

To be honest, I agree with everyone else, quit. Doesn't sound like a good environment and you can have some time to relax and take care of your health before vet school starts.

ETA: I didn't see anything wrong with that bolded part. Could just be me though. Probably because I heard enough techs bitch that the vet was just sitting in the office on FB, but if they had actually paid attention they would see that vet was actually discussing a difficult case with a vet friend or reading a vet article that happens to be on FB. Often times the techs see something on a vet's computer and assume they are just fooling around without realizing they are actually working or researching something.
I wasn't meaning to bitch about it, just saying that if we're really slow, the vets are able to sit and relax. Maybe they're working on something on the side too, but they're not expected to find something to clean to stay busy. Again, not trying to complain. I know the vets have the much harder job, and I think they're entitled to take a break if there's not much going on.

Actually, if a clinic really is super busy or already swamped with emergencies it is better to send a stable emergency case down the road to the actual ER vet instead of spreading your staff and vets too thin to give the appropriate care to all patients. I wouldn't turn away something that needs stabilization now, but once stable or if stable enough to make the drive to the nearby ER clinic, I'm going to send them there if my clinic is already swamped and my staff is already being spread too thin.
I'm sure we would start turning people away if it was truly too much for us to handle, but I've never seen it get THAT bad. Two emergencies at once on top of scheduled appointments is about the worst I've experienced. It sucks and it means we get out of there later than usual, but at least from my perspective it wasn't to the point of compromising standard of care.

I wasn't meaning to bitch about it, just saying that if we're really slow, the vets are able to sit and relax. Maybe they're working on something on the side too, but they're not expected to find something to clean to stay busy. Again, not trying to complain. I know the vets have the much harder job, and I think they're entitled to take a break if there's not much going on.
I think you need to understand that vets are exempt employees while support staff are hourly wage workers. Since you are paid by the hour to be there, you need to be working while you're on the clock. Vets need to work as many hours as necessary to get the work done they need to without change in compensation. Often times it means working way longer than the "shift." That also means that if fewer hours are necessary to complete the necessary work, then we shouldn't have to be penalized for it either.

That being said, I tend to use slower times to review cases, call and check in on chronic patients, and work on CE and such. I probably take maybe one actual lunch break where I'm not doing something work related every two weeks or so.

Reactions: 4 users
Our office does not see appointments every day between 12-2. During that time techs, receptionists and kennel take alternating lunches. Dr's use that time to take lunch, catch up on files and phone calls and do checks if needed. We now have one dr that leaves the office for the entire 2 hr break. She does not write in files or make calls. Then she comes back and either blocks appointment times so she can do those things, or gets pissed at us for scheduling appointments. I just see it as a poor use of time. She has also taken files home at night and not brought them back in the morning. Which has been a big problem more than once when that animal presented the next morning for an emergency.

I really don't care if one of our dr's is on Facebook or looking up cute kitten videos, but don't get mad at others because you didn't manage your time appropriately.

Our office does not see appointments every day between 12-2. During that time techs, receptionists and kennel take alternating lunches. Dr's use that time to take lunch, catch up on files and phone calls and do checks if needed. We now have one dr that leaves the office for the entire 2 hr break. She does not write in files or make calls. Then she comes back and either blocks appointment times so she can do those things, or gets pissed at us for scheduling appointments. I just see it as a poor use of time. She has also taken files home at night and not brought them back in the morning. Which has been a big problem more than once when that animal presented the next morning for an emergency.

I really don't care if one of our dr's is on Facebook or looking up cute kitten videos, but don't get mad at others because you didn't manage your time appropriately.
If she has been told she gets a 2 hr lunch there is nothing wrong with her not doing work over that time. you shouldn't be expected to, actually. We probably shouldn't do it (working over lunch)

I think you need to understand that vets are exempt employees while support staff are hourly wage workers. Since you are paid by the hour to be there, you need to be working while you're on the clock. Vets need to work as many hours as necessary to get the work done they need to without change in compensation. Often times it means working way longer than the "shift." That also means that if fewer hours are necessary to complete the necessary work, then we shouldn't have to be penalized for it either.
I do understand that, sorry if I'm not being clear. I'm not at all meaning to complain that the vets can take time to relax, while I'm expected to work the entire time I'm there. Yeah, that's just how it is. My point was just that on some days when we're slow and over-staffed, it's annoying to have to be there when there's not really anything for me to do, yet I have to find ways to stay busy. It's just a bit tedious sometimes. Whereas vets don't have that pressure to always find something to be doing, and are allowed to take some time to do personal things. Therefore, I don't see how coming in on a slow day is that bad, unless every single day is excruciatingly slow. I generally like slow days at work, and it's very rare that it's to the point that I'm annoyed I have to be there.

I hope I'm not making the vets at my clinic sound lazy or under-worked. It's certainly not every day, all day that they get that kind of downtime. There are also a lot of days where they have to scarf down lunch in five minutes, or end up staying all day when they were supposed to work a split shift. And they do help us out in the back when they can at the end of the day.

If she has been told she gets a 2 hr lunch there is nothing wrong with her not doing work over that time. you shouldn't be expected to, actually. We probably shouldn't do it (working over lunch)

This. Why should a doctor have to work over his/her lunch time? I know that the vast majority of vets do, but that doesn't make the vet who doesn't force themselves to work during lunch wrong in that decision.

The doctors are not told they get a 2 hour lunch. They are told they have 2 hours without appointments and they are to use that time for lunch and catching up with files and calls. I don't care what she does during that time. I do care that she gets pissed at me and other employees when we schedule the afternoon mostly full (not even fully booked) of appointments, typically sick animals. If we have available appointment times and someone calls with a sick animal and the want to come in that afternoon, I'm not going to turn them away, and I shouldn't be chastised for it either.

The doctors are not told they get a 2 hour lunch. They are told they have 2 hours without appointments and they are to use that time for lunch and catching up with files and calls. I don't care what she does during that time. I do care that she gets pissed at me and other employees when we schedule the afternoon mostly full (not even fully booked) of appointments, typically sick animals. If we have available appointment times and someone calls with a sick animal and the want to come in that afternoon, I'm not going to turn them away, and I shouldn't be chastised for it either.
but your implication was that she should work over her lunch. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

But what happens if the pet has a vaccine reaction?

There is nothing wrong with technician visits for vaccines that don't require an exam. The problem is giving vaccines without a dvm present on premise. In some states that is illegal. In Michigan, vaccines can be given by licensed technicians under direct supervision, so I guess it depends on what direct supervision is defined as in the state (in many states the doctor needs to be in earshot). Also I'm not sure how stringent the Michigan practice act is in non licensed assistants giving vaccines. And I'm pretty sure rabies vaccines must be given by a veterinarian for Michigan.
You're right about the rabies vaccine. I've always been able to vaccinate as an assistant, so I'm not sure that there is anything barring assistants from doing that. I can't tell you what would happen if the pet has a reaction, but it's not like it hasn't crossed my mind.
I also help clean so the techs can get out on time...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: unheard of!
From an employer's perspective, an employee suddenly needing 3 days/week off is a nightmare. It makes scheduling turn into a complete bitch. Not that your bosses should have said what they did, but I think some realistic expectations are needed on both sides. It just isn't possible for an employer to guarantee one employee three specific days off each week and balance out the other time off requests from other employees. Now, I would expect an employer to at least make an attempt to work it out. I definitely would. I would try to give that employee a longer lunch period so they can get to their physical therapy sessions or allow them to come in at a later time and working nights or have them work an extra day each week but allow them to leave at 12-2PM instead of 5PM or later. There are ways to try to make it work and I'd definitely do my best to accommodate, but realistic expectations will be needed from the employee as well.

Now, you should be able to set up physical therapy appointments a month in advance. So since your employer is being a bitch, you could just request the three days you need off, but I doubt your employer goes for it.

To be honest, I agree with everyone else, quit. Doesn't sound like a good environment and you can have some time to relax and take care of your health before vet school starts.
Well the thing is I would definitely not need an entire day off to schedule what shouldn't be more than an hour/day of physical therapy. And I don't want 3 days off a week either...I'm already scraping for hours lately as it is.

I chuckled because our vet does watch quite a bit of TV on her computer in the office, lol. Sometimes it ends up with one of us popping our heads in and saying "Just another reminder that room 2 is ready."
I do understand that, sorry if I'm not being clear. I'm not at all meaning to complain that the vets can take time to relax, while I'm expected to work the entire time I'm there. Yeah, that's just how it is. My point was just that on some days when we're slow and over-staffed, it's annoying to have to be there when there's not really anything for me to do, yet I have to find ways to stay busy. It's just a bit tedious sometimes. Whereas vets don't have that pressure to always find something to be doing, and are allowed to take some time to do personal things. Therefore, I don't see how coming in on a slow day is that bad, unless every single day is excruciatingly slow. I generally like slow days at work, and it's very rare that it's to the point that I'm annoyed I have to be there.

I hope I'm not making the vets at my clinic sound lazy or under-worked. It's certainly not every day, all day that they get that kind of downtime. There are also a lot of days where they have to scarf down lunch in five minutes, or end up staying all day when they were supposed to work a split shift. And they do help us out in the back when they can at the end of the day.
I get why your frustrated. It's annoying trying to find random/petty things to do so you don't get sent home when the day/week is dead. Even if we're staying busy, our clinic usually cuts everyone but one receptionist and one tech or assistant.

Really random, but does anyone have any experience with Ally Bank? I'm considering opening a savings account with them since they have a higher APY than my current bank, but am somewhat cautious.

It seemed to me you were saying she should have to work over her lunch. She shouldn't be yelling about you booking appointments when you are supposed to, but maybe there is some miscommunication there? Maybe her contract does state that she gets a 2 hour lunch? Maybe somewhere along the way she was told that? That doesn't excuse the yelling, but perhaps there is something to it that you aren't seeing.

Also, two hours is great, however many times vets don't get to start their lunch right on time and that 2 hours quickly turns into an hour or 45 minutes now to eat lunch and catch up on notes. Heck even if the full two hours were available, paperwork and phone calls to clients can easily take 3 or more hours, especially if you have any difficult cases or clients who need that extra time for them to really understand what is going on. So a busy clinic right before "lunch" can easily force a vet to only have 10-15 minutes to "catch up" and eat and if the afternoon is then fully booked it becomes overwhelming (this doesn't excuse yelling though), but just a way to put it into perspective.

I also used to work at a clinic that closed between 12:30-2 so everyone could get midday treatments done, lunch (supposed to be 1 hour), etc... I hated it! It seems like a good idea in theory, but it almost never worked out well for most of the techs...Mostly because one of the doctors there (he reminded me of Dr. House, except he was really gross and unhygienic) thought pretty much everyone was a ***** that worked there. He wouldn't let people draw blood, give meds, sometimes even feed his patients. So he would wait until our "lunch time" to personally do everything. Of course he needed several people to help him do everything and those people didn't get lunch (or a very shortened lunch). Funny how everyone is an idiot, but you still need them to help you do stuff. For me it sucked because I was the lab/pharmacy tech (filled meds, ran all in-house tests, etc) and I wasn't allowed to leave the lab/pharmacy open while I wasn't there. The doctors didn't even have keys to the lab/pharmacy, so I couldn't leave until everything was done running and no-one needed anything out of the lab/pharmacy. Said doctor would always have something that needed to be ran or filled during "lunch". It doubly sucked for me because I was pregnant while working there and if you've ever been pregnant, you know what it's like to be a hungry pregnant woman and not be able to eat lunch on time...I got to the point where I told him if he didn't have his orders in before 12:45, it wasn't getting done until I got back. It was that or I'd basically almost pass out...

Is it too late to drop out of vet school to live on a boat and drink rum?
dfc17c198db550e307aebab81708cd33.480x230x21.gif

But seriously. I'm in the BVI right now and in between snorkeling with sea turtles and the beautiful islands and fun bars, I could quite easily drop out of school, learn to sail and drink delicious rum and fruity drinks.
how do you think i felt for 3 years in grenada as a scuba diver?! i'm actually back visiting grenada currently and brainstorming ways to come back here forever haha

I wasn't sure what to expect but kangaroo is actually pretty tasty. Went to Melbourne for the first time today and no work tomorrow (happy birthday to the queen). I'd call that a successful weekend.

So, a former classmate/good friend stayed with me for 4 days during an extended working interview at another clinic in town. He got the job and is now apartment hunting. He asked me if I'd like a roommate. It's been a long time since I've had a roommate that wasn't four-legged, but I do have the extra bedroom and I do like him and the extra $600 a month would be really nice...