Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My landlady back in Pittsburgh used some kind of lemon and vinegar spray on her dogs. Not sure about the effectiveness against fleas and ticks, but the dogs sure hated it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh. I remember getting into a discussion on this with someone on another forum. She also apparently fosters dogs and lives in central FL and this is how she prevents heart worm disease in her animals. I think she also used like apple cider vinegar for fleas...She was also a firm believer that dogs are obligate carnivores (reasoning, their jaws don't move side to side like a cow...) and raw food diets for every animal, so I just ended up giving up.
Oh hey, this sounds just like my landlady. I also gave up. Between that and the refusal to get the dogs spayed, and her insistence on calling them "wolves" because they were huskies...really glad I'm not living there anymore :)

"you are just wanting money", "heartworm is a made up disease"
:mad::rage::punch: This. We had a new client come in a few years ago with a new dog from a rescue that came from a southern state. The rescue hadn't done a heartworm test, so we did. The test came back positive, so while I was running a 4DX for confirmation, I looked at a blood droplet under the microscope too. The blood practically crawled off the slide it was so full of microfilaria. The owner, who hadn't had the dog more than a few hours was concerned and contacted the rescue. The rescue was livid and sent him a website on how heartworm is made up and vets are fleecing pet owners. I offered to show the owner the microfilaria. Luckily he was a smart man and did his own research. Instead of returning the dog to the rescue that vowed to NOT treat the dog for heartworm, he kept her and paid for her treatment without question. She's alive and well today and they are best buddies. He also advises people to not adopt from that rescue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
:mad::rage::punch: This. We had a new client come in a few years ago with a new dog from a rescue that came from a southern state. The rescue hadn't done a heartworm test, so we did. The test came back positive, so while I was running a 4DX for confirmation, I looked at a blood droplet under the microscope too. The blood practically crawled off the slide it was so full of microfilaria. The owner, who hadn't had the dog more than a few hours was concerned and contacted the rescue. The rescue was livid and sent him a website on how heartworm is made up and vets are fleecing pet owners. I offered to show the owner the microfilaria. Luckily he was a smart man and did his own research. Instead of returning the dog to the rescue that vowed to NOT treat the dog for heartworm, he kept her and paid for her treatment without question. She's alive and well today and they are best buddies. He also advises people to not adopt from that rescue.

That "rescue" should be reported.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand people who don't use flea tick control. I'm so flea-paranoid that my dogs have the seresto collars and get bravecto. Was using the seresto alone and then the paranoia set in when I bought a house and started having nightmares about infestations that would never die. Decided adding in another very effective med was a good idea!

I don't understand people who don't use flea tick control. I'm so flea-paranoid that my dogs have the seresto collars and get bravecto. Was using the seresto alone and then the paranoia set in when I bought a house and started having nightmares about infestations that would never die. Decided adding in another very effective med was a good idea!
well, we're all about natural everything these days as a society. So obviously chemicals are poison in any form and we are slowly killing their dogs. Don't mind the fact that dogs and cats have longer lifespans than they used to...

I'm pretty much always using two as well right now. My dog has atopy and while we ruled out FAD before everything else I just worry that he'd be a little extra sensitive to flea bites. Right now I'm using Advantage Multi and Nexgard cause I have like 15 months of Advantage Multi to use up but I really liked the Sentinel and Seresto collar combo. Was super bummed when there was some issue and we didn't get out collars this year. Totally will go our and pay for it when I need it though.

Flea/tick/deworming products. Just... know them. I remember nothing and continually have to look up what gets what parasites. And there's just so many damn products.

We have a gigantic chart of doom on the back of the doctor's office door. I'm thinking maybe I can get it tattooed in the inside of my arm and sneak a peek when needed.

We have a gigantic chart of doom on the back of the doctor's office door. I'm thinking maybe I can get it tattooed in the inside of my arm and sneak a peek when needed.

Just take a picture of it and put it on your iPad mini or smartphone - Still good for peeking, less expensive and easily updatable ;-)

Welp, just put my two weeks in. Unfortunately, one of the techs stole my thunder and didn't show up/quit today too....

I kinda wanna hide out in isolation all day, but I'm also curious tk see if they'll try to keep me. The last assistant that tried to quit was given a raise and another day off each week lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty much always using two as well right now. My dog has atopy and while we ruled out FAD before everything else I just worry that he'd be a little extra sensitive to flea bites. Right now I'm using Advantage Multi and Nexgard cause I have like 15 months of Advantage Multi to use up but I really liked the Sentinel and Seresto collar combo. Was super bummed when there was some issue and we didn't get out collars this year. Totally will go our and pay for it when I need it though.
Do you like Nexgard? I got some free doses at work and I don't know much about it

Do you like Nexgard? I got some free doses at work and I don't know much about it

I've had no issues with it. My dog likes it, no side effects so far. Haven't seen any fleas/ticks granted we don't go on hikes or anything, but fleas are a huge issue in Philly (he is on Advantage Multi too though). Definitely think it's a good option for those who don't like to use, have heavy swimmers or have difficulty applying topicals

Welp, just put my two weeks in. Unfortunately, one of the techs stole my thunder and didn't show up/quit today too....

I kinda wanna hide out in isolation all day, but I'm also curious tk see if they'll try to keep me. The last assistant that tried to quit was given a raise and another day off each week lol
Even if they do give you a raise/more days off, would it be worth it? I could totally see them giving you a raise and still overschedule you/treat you poorly since the tech left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if they do give you a raise/more days off, would it be worth it? I could totally see them giving you a raise and still overschedule you/treat you poorly since the tech left.
Depending on how big of a raise, it might be. if I got bumped to the $10-12/hour I think I'm worth, I'd reconsider. However, they didn't end up saying anything and just took me off the schedule. I mean, they knew I would be leaving for school, so I guess I should feel bad about the fact they didn't try to barter with me. I'm still going to leave the return option open just in case. I'm going through the "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!?" phase of quitting at the moment.

I'm just bummed that I'll end up having to pay the full amount of my dog's heartworm test/vaccines instead of 50% off....I will have quit within three months of those services, lol.

Just do the HWT and vaccines early! Then you don't have to worry about them for another year.

And $10-12 isn't worth the misery.
I just got them done last week so my dog's set for a while now. Plus, I had to get them done there anyways so I could be given my free year of Heartgard...so I guess the cost evens out that way

My boss is away for the weekend, so today I got the lovely job of driving his two huge GSD's to another vet to help her collect sperm from the male, then inseminate the female. Then I had to hold the female's hind end elevated for about 30min. Afterward I noticed what appears to be dog semen on my shirt. And I get to do it all over again on Monday! I know he really wants his dogs to have puppies, but neither of them seem to have any interest. It's likely a sign that they shouldn't. At least the dogs were compliant, which they weren't when my boss tried to do it on his own last time.

I swear I am the angel of death. My initials are on the euthansol log sheet way too many times.

And in a slightly related tangent, I really just want to drink wine or cider or beer or something. But I'm on call. Harrumph.

I swear I am the angel of death. My initials are on the euthansol log sheet way too many times.

And in a slightly related tangent, I really just want to drink wine or cider or beer or something. But I'm on call. Harrumph.

I hear ya.

Add in trying to move and unpack in a new house and I would kill for alcohol of any sort

Same to the drinks. I'm on call till 8 AM for medicine and while it's unlikely I'd get called in, I don't want to risk it.

Moving to FL at the end of the week, guess I should get on the whole move-in process wagon since the only day I wont be traveling this week is Monday morning and Wednesday...oops. That list now includes getting a certified check, renters insurance, internet and power...eek.

I was fangirling out over E3 yesterday.
Especially Mass Effect: Andromeda!!! And Battlefront!

I was fangirling out over E3 yesterday.
Especially Mass Effect: Andromeda!!! And Battlefront!
Can't wait for the Square conf today! And OMG Battlefront! So glad we got actual gameplay yesterday, and I cannot wait to couch co-op it with the BF!!

I'm really glad that I found a consistent grocery supply of roasted, no-salt sunflower seeds. My salads just weren't the same without them.

Can't wait for the Square conf today! And OMG Battlefront! So glad we got actual gameplay yesterday, and I cannot wait to couch co-op it with the BF!!
Couch co-op :love: It disappoints me that so many games don't have that option these days.

This is apparently actually happening this time.

My roommate (non-gamer) really nonchalantly mentioned our neighbor saying something about E3 and FF7 (his bird's name is Cloud, had to evacuate, long story) two nights ago. I hadn't been keeping an eye on the announcements and had to immediately look up the trailer on my phone and verify she wasn't speaking crazy speak. I'm so excited. :D

My roommate (non-gamer) really nonchalantly mentioned our neighbor saying something about E3 and FF7 (his bird's name is Cloud, had to evacuate, long story) two nights ago. I hadn't been keeping an eye on the announcements and had to immediately look up the trailer on my phone and verify she wasn't speaking crazy speak. I'm so excited. :D

On the topic of FF7, today in lab, a janitor I've never met before stopped me in the middle of my experiment to announce how excited he was about FF7 coming out. Was all ready to whip out his phone and show me the videos, but I was still sort of standing there with test tubes in my hand haha. He also told me say goodbye to all of my gamer friends for the next year. This totally made my day :)

On the topic of FF7, today in lab, a janitor I've never met before stopped me in the middle of my experiment to announce how excited he was about FF7 coming out. Was all ready to whip out his phone and show me the videos, but I was still sort of standing there with test tubes in my hand haha. He also told me say goodbye to all of my gamer friends for the next year. This totally made my day :)

That's so crazy! You must have had vibes coming off you and he knew you'd be a kindred FF7 soul.

Whippet-cat-relationship.jpg

This was part of a page 12 reasons why whippets are the absolute worst, and this picture was subtitled: Whippets don't like cats.

and this one:
"wait, i can explain"

Whippet-funny-play-kitty.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Someone in my dogs' adoptive families group posted an article about every dog food and which ones are good and bad. Of course Purina, Hill's and Royal Canon were immediately declared bad. And then I proceeded to laugh at the quick guide which lists things to feed and avoid. Top things to feed was whole meats which included liver. And of course by products were then listed as things to avoid. It just amuses me.

Two new sci-fi series started, Dark Matter and Killjoys. And between Melissa O'Neil and Hannah John-Kamen... Damn. My inner feminist is stoked to see more strong female characters but there's also a small but substantial part of my brain that's enjoying the eye candy...

Two new sci-fi series started, Dark Matter and Killjoys. And between Melissa O'Neil and Hannah John-Kamen... Damn. My inner feminist is stoked to see more strong female characters but there's also a small but substantial part of my brain that's enjoying the eye candy...
I might have to look into these shows :thinking:

I watched the premiere of Dark Matter and I liked it. It took me forever to place where I recognized the young girl from... then it hit me that it's Alessa from the first Silent Hill movie.

Does anyone suggest subscribing to AJVR or JAVMA? It's being offered through UI's SCAVMA, but at the same price I'd get if I subscribed on my own. I feel like I'd rather do something non-veterinary related during my free moments, but I also feel like I'm putting pressure on myself to *be* a veterinary student. If that makes any sense at all.

Does anyone suggest subscribing to AJVR or JAVMA? It's being offered through UI's SCAVMA, but at the same price I'd get if I subscribed on my own. I feel like I'd rather do something non-veterinary related during my free moments, but I also feel like I'm putting pressure on myself to *be* a veterinary student. If that makes any sense at all.
can you get it free through the schools library? both SGU and NCSU had free online access through the library website

no. dont do it.

Seriously. vet school you won't benefit from it.

no. dont do it.

Seriously. vet school you won't benefit from it.
Haha okay good because I elected not to do it. I figure, even if I change my mind, I can get it on my own for the same price. Thank ya!

So, I have never been on this thread before. I've really missed out on some awesome discussions.

On the note of garlic, there is an owner that sends her two English setters to the doggie daycare I work at with their "specially" made food. This can include pasta with garlic all over it. Because she yells at us for not feeding her dogs if we send the food home with them, we end up eating anything she sends that is known to be bad for dogs.

So, I have never been on this thread before. I've really missed out on some awesome discussions.

On the note of garlic, there is an owner that sends her two English setters to the doggie daycare I work at with their "specially" made food. This can include pasta with garlic all over it. Because she yells at us for not feeding her dogs if we send the food home with them, we end up eating anything she sends that is known to be bad for dogs.
giphy.gif

Gross! Wouldn't it be easier/safer to just throw it away?!