Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if it's a rant or a rave and won't until it happens, but my kiddo just got scheduled for her rigid and flexible bronchoscopey at the children's hospital. They may do minor surgical repairs if they can find a reason for her to "suddenly" (over a year ago:rolleyes:) start having bad sleep apnea and aspirating fluids when she drinks.

It's good, because we may get an answer, but gor dam it's scary to put your kid under anesthesia and let people root around in her airway.

I don't know whether to smile or cry.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's a rant or a rave and won't until it happens, but my kiddo just got scheduled for her rigid and flexible bronchoscopey at the children's hospital. They may do minor surgical repairs if they can find a reason for her to "suddenly" (over a year ago:rolleyes:) start having bad sleep apnea and aspirating fluids when she drinks.

It's good, because we may get an answer, but gor dam it's scary to put your kid under anesthesia and let people root around in her airway.

I don't know whether to smile or cry.
I'm so used to people referring to their pets as their kids, that I had to stop, think, and re-read your statement when I got to the part about the children's hospital haha (wait why are they taking the dog to the people places??)

Best wishes for a safe and easy anesthetic event. I can't imagine how that must feel as a parent, especially since the thought of anesthetized my dog makes me panic haha (I'd probably be okay with my specialty team running his anesthesia, but anyone else....)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know anything about weightlifting shoes? I'm considering getting a pair of lifters (probably the Adidas Powerlift 2.0's atm due to cost) and was just wondering if anyone had experience with them. I don't plan on competing on strictly Olympic lifts but everyone seems to say you can lift more when wearing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish my town had a Starbucks...would really come in handy with all this studying.

vet interns are notoriously not paid well.
That much I knew, but I felt a little weird about how the author felt the need to include was was an insinuation to harming oneself (the other made clear he wasn't). Then I read some of the comments on the FB link...people coming forward saying they were emotionally abused and hazed. One mentioned that medical internships are actually regulated by law now, but we're still not to that point yet??

That much I knew, but I felt a little weird about how the author felt the need to include was was an insinuation to harming oneself (the other made clear he wasn't). Then I read some of the comments on the FB link...people coming forward saying they were emotionally abused and hazed. One mentioned that medical internships are actually regulated by law now, but we're still not to that point yet??
Yup. And suicide rates are higher with higher burn out.

Oh man, never been there. Michigan has some pretty impressive roaches if you know where to look, but the biggest ones I've seen yet were in Florida. And those things SMELL.
5895729860_db8bd171e8_z.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone tried fundraising for a study abroad course before? I'm trying to plan a World Vets trip because it's only 1 week and isn't terribly costly, but can't do it on my own...but I feel weird asking for money. I feel like most people would say, "Well, if you can't afford to go, then you shouldn't go." And I kind of agree, but the experience just seems so awesome and this is my last summer...if anyone's had an success or have tips for what to do/not do, I would seriously appreciate some help. PMs are welcome.

Has anyone tried fundraising for a study abroad course before? I'm trying to plan a World Vets trip because it's only 1 week and isn't terribly costly, but can't do it on my own...but I feel weird asking for money. I feel like most people would say, "Well, if you can't afford to go, then you shouldn't go." And I kind of agree, but the experience just seems so awesome and this is my last summer...if anyone's had an success or have tips for what to do/not do, I would seriously appreciate some help. PMs are welcome.
I have not but a lot of my classmates do. I have mixed feelings on how popular these GoFundMe accounts are getting. People are using them to fundraise for entire trips like World Vets, RAVS, etc as well as elective surgeries for their pets.

It was an interesting read. I know the internship I'm looking at pays about $26,000 a year, which I believe is an increase from what they've offered in previous years. It works out to ~$6 an hour and I think last time I ran those numbers it came out to ~$4 an hour, so that's an improvement. It's a pretty good program with a lot of oversight and some phenomenal doctors but the only way I'm affording it is because I'm hoping to move home and live with my parents throughout internship and residency. It's a problem that we, as a profession, need to address. However, I'm not sure if internships offer that little money because 1) they think my time is really worth that little, 2) they couldn't afford to take interns if they offered them more, or 3) they know they can still get good quality interns and still offer that little.

I would check with your school and local SAVMA/SCAVMA chapters. At least at Minnesota they have some pretty cool travel grants available for students to pursue experiences like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not but a lot of my classmates do. I have mixed feelings on how popular these GoFundMe accounts are getting. People are using them to fundraise for entire trips like World Vets, RAVS, etc as well as elective surgeries for their pets.

Yeah, I was considering writing letters to my family members that I think would be most likely to donate something. My mom thinks it's a good idea and she usually knows what she's talking about when it comes to our family. I'm selling artwork to supplement...and would get a job, but our schedule is horrendous this year.

I would check with your school and local SAVMA/SCAVMA chapters. At least at Minnesota they have some pretty cool travel grants available for students to pursue experiences like that.

I've already sent in applications, but the money has all been allocated already. I wasn't quick enough. :(

It was an interesting read. I know the internship I'm looking at pays about $26,000 a year, which I believe is an increase from what they've offered in previous years. It works out to ~$6 an hour and I think last time I ran those numbers it came out to ~$4 an hour, so that's an improvement. It's a pretty good program with a lot of oversight and some phenomenal doctors but the only way I'm affording it is because I'm hoping to move home and live with my parents throughout internship and residency. It's a problem that we, as a profession, need to address. However, I'm not sure if internships offer that little money because 1) they think my time is really worth that little, 2) they couldn't afford to take interns if they offered them more, or 3) they know they can still get good quality interns and still offer that little.
It's probably a mix of all three. I read somewhere that more and more grads are flocking to internships, so it's not like you turning one down would send the school into a panic. All I know is that my friend is a SA rotating intern and she is constantly running all over the hospital.

It's probably a mix of all three. I read somewhere that more and more grads are flocking to internships, so it's not like you turning one down would send the school into a panic. All I know is that my friend is a SA rotating intern and she is constantly running all over the hospital.
There are plenty of rotating internship positions that go unfilled each year... As with most things, the competitive ones stay competitive. The ones that aren't... well thank goodness there's pressure to make them better or go away.

Also the percentage of people pursuing internships has been declining since 2012

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/internships-tax-new-veterinarians

1. No
2. Yes
3. Maybe

It's interesting to me that money so often is one of the biggest problems discussed when it comes to internships and residencies. Personally, intake up bigger issues with poor mentorship and long hours.

http://www.drandyroark.com/are-you-a-facebook-warrior/ I thought this was a good read, especially on a day where I almost got sucked into a comment war. I came across someone screaming abuse on a picture of a pitbull police dog wearing a basket muzzle. She also was very upset that the image wasn't helping society realize that pitties are friendly dogs. Hard to move on from that one

Found this today...

12651383_10153327430178309_4998310453947585979_n.jpg

Super creepy, but I could see @Lupin21 doing this. Seems like the right type of creepy for her.

This has been all over my Facebook for the past few days... I get on SDN to escape it... And would you know it's here too. I'm +pissed+

Reactions: 3 users
Figures, I take a long nap and wake up to news that a Howler Monkey is loose in the neighborhood that's a little south of me.

I swear one day people will just start sleeping in a vat of coconut oil at night instead of on their beds...smh.
well, then survival of the fittest might be our friend as they aspirate it....The "pulling" with coconut oil has already seen an increase in aspiration pneumonia in humans...

I read about pulling and I gagged a little. Why not try canola oil? Swish that around a little bit? Bleugh.

What if you accidentally swallowed it? Like, I've done that with mouthwash at least once. Now imagine a big gloob of oil. I would puke.

I read about pulling and I gagged a little. Why not try canola oil? Swish that around a little bit? Bleugh.

What if you accidentally swallowed it? Like, I've done that with mouthwash at least once. Now imagine a big gloob of oil. I would puke.

My sister swears by coconut oil for EVERYTHING. Removing makeup, oil pulling, teeth whitening, skin moisturizing, hair treatments, acne control, etc.... Whatever she wants to believe, I guess. But I can't imagine swishing oil in my mouth for 10 minutes *shudders*. I don't do anything with that stuff besides cooking!

I'm gagging a little bit even thinking about it. What a gross feeling idea. :depressed:

My sister swears by coconut oil for EVERYTHING. Removing makeup, oil pulling, teeth whitening, skin moisturizing, hair treatments, acne control, etc.... Whatever she wants to believe, I guess. But I can't imagine swishing oil in my mouth for 10 minutes *shudders*. I don't do anything with that stuff besides cooking!

I'm perfectly fine to accept that it is good for hair, skin, makeup removal... but once you go to anything related to teeth or internal organs I'm out.

Reactions: 3 users
There's going to be a point where people will start getting hospitalized or killed in droves because of stuff like this and the progressive hate on medicine in general. Drives me up a wall.

On that vein, what does everyone think of melatonin? I hear everything from it's basically a cure all to that it does nothing and keep finding stuff that supports both views.

There's going to be a point where people will start getting hospitalized or killed in droves because of stuff like this and the progressive hate on medicine in general. Drives me up a wall.

On that vein, what does everyone think of melatonin? I hear everything from it's basically a cure all to that it does nothing and keep finding stuff that supports both views.

Personally, if I'm having trouble sleeping or super stressed I can pop a melatonin and fall asleep within 20-30 minutes. Now whether it's really working or just the placebo effect... I don't really care to know :p

Have no idea about the whole "melatonin to treat cancer" stuff.

Personally, if I'm having trouble sleeping or super stressed I can pop a melatonin and fall asleep within 20-30 minutes. Now whether it's really working or just the placebo effect... I don't really care to know :p

Have no idea about the whole "melatonin to treat cancer" stuff.
Yeah I had only ever heard about it for sleep. And the extent to which it works seems to be pretty individualized.

Yeah I had only ever heard about it for sleep. And the extent to which it works seems to be pretty individualized.

My physiology prof mentioned it today.. She said it's being used in trials to treat/cure a string of things. She didn't go into detail though!

Doesn't really work for me. I usually fall asleep just fine and I was trying it out to see if it would help me stay asleep. It seems to work maybe sometimes, but definitely not always. When I'm awake in the middle of the night, I do feel less stressed/angry about it though.

Otherwise I haven't really heard it used for other things other than what dy mentioned.

Rather disappointed with the Budweiser commercial this year, I must say. More Clydesdales and puppies, please.

clydesdale-still.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I love to come to this thread and see coconut oil bashing lol let me come late to the party

I love coconut oil, but I use it for minor things. Like makeup removal, when I make bath fizzes, shaving, stuff like that. And everyone's like "OMG ROCKY YOURE SO OBSESSED" but that's totally not me at all. It's for sure not a cure all for anything but its amazing in the beauty and skin care aspect. Once I saw an fb post that gave 100 uses for coconut oil, and one of them was HIV. Umm...

But I can't imagine swishing oil in my mouth for 10 minutes *shudders*.

Yeah that's gross. Sorry. The acne part is odd too. I have combo skin and it makes me oily after I take my makeup off. I HAVE to scrub my face immediately. As someone who regularly uses essential oils for supplemental care, I don't see how that'd help your face. Tea tree oil is my go to for smaller breakouts, though.

I actually want to try coconut oil, but I'm highly allergic to coconut, soooo....

I wear a lot of makeup pretty regularly, so I hear it's best/most popular use is that. And apparently it makes killer chocolate chip cookies! Oil pulling grosses me out as well. I just get frustrated when owners say they give their dogs a few tablespoons of oil a day. Not that it's toxic (that I know of), but a lot of natural things are automatically assumed safe. I took an appointment where the owner was regularly feeding whole cloves of garlic for flea prevention.

I actually want to try coconut oil, but I'm highly allergic to coconut, soooo....

I wear a lot of makeup pretty regularly, so I hear it's best/most popular use is that. And apparently it makes killer chocolate chip cookies! Oil pulling grosses me out as well. I just get frustrated when owners say they give their dogs a few tablespoons of oil a day. Not that it's toxic (that I know of), but a lot of natural things are automatically assumed safe. I took an appointment where the owner was regularly feeding whole cloves of garlic for flea prevention.

We had a client who used lavender oil to prevent fleas... It caused a pretty bad reaction and the dog had a huge rash, so she used coconut oil to try and "fix" it. Ended up bringing in dog when he had chewed out chunks of his own hair.

The garlic thing is crazy to me. It's amazing what some people will feed their pets.

We had a client who used lavender oil to prevent fleas... It caused a pretty bad reaction and the dog had a huge rash, so she used coconut oil to try and "fix" it. Ended up bringing in dog when he had chewed out chunks of his own hair.

The garlic thing is crazy to me. It's amazing what some people will feed their pets.

It's common practice in topical application of EO's to try to rinse it out when something bad happens with a "carrier" oil---coconut, vegetable, soybean, etc. however, most people don't dilute them with the oils like they should in the first place. And they use too much. Sigh. And yeah, don't animal test with them either.

There was a Tumblr post a while back with a girl feeding her dog a vegan diet. Like yams and carrots or something. I just...

It's common practice in topical application of EO's to try to rinse it out when something bad happens with a "carrier" oil---coconut, vegetable, soybean, etc. however, most people don't dilute them with the oils like they should in the first place. And they use too much. Sigh. And yeah, don't animal test with them either.

There was a Tumblr post a while back with a girl feeding her dog a vegan diet. Like yams and carrots or something. I just...

Omg... So ridiculous! We sold a veterinary "vegetarian" specialty dry food for dogs with different food allergies. I would get lots of inquiries such as, "hmoo, aren't you going to feed your dogs a vegetarian diet since you don't eat meat?!" Why no... No I'm not. Thanks for your concern though :smack: That would be better than a homemade unbalanced diet of nothing but veggies though... Ugh

I know a girl who put undiluted mint EO all over her forehead because someone told her it would help with migraines. That may/may not be accurate, but the person didn't tell her to dilute it. It was NOT pretty....almost like a chemical burn.

Last edited:
I know a girl who put undiluted min EO all over her forehead because someone told her it would help with migraines. That may/may not be accurate, but the person didn't tell her to dilute it. It was NOT pretty....almost like a chemical burn.

Sounds like peppermint oil... Huge no no.

Not that it's toxic (that I know of), but a lot of natural things are automatically assumed safe. I took an appointment where the owner was regularly feeding whole cloves of garlic for flea prevention.

This is the biggest struggle of being from Colorado and not all about the weed. It. Drives. Me. Up. A. Wall.