Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is everyone celebrating Fat Tuesday?! Please describe. Bonus points for pictures of food.

I'm getting Pizza Hut :D
you get an extra bonus win for eating pizza on national pizza day haha :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We had Chinese yesterday night, Papa John's for lunch (2nd pizza $0.50 thanks to the Broncos) and Culver's for dinner (school fundraiser).

I don't think I can handle anymore grease and fast food for at least a week...

We had Chinese yesterday night, Papa John's for lunch (2nd pizza $0.50 thanks to the Broncos) and Culver's for dinner (school fundraiser).

I don't think I can handle anymore grease and fast food for at least a week...
I'll eat it for you :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest reason I don't like treating pet birds is because their husbandry/care is almost always shtty and I feel bad for the birds :(

I mostly want to be a chicken and sheep vet, though...love me some chickens and sheep.

Also, went to call my mom and no answer...where the heck is she, she's retired! Oh right, she's in class (she's taking a CC course). Weird feeling that I'm the one with the job and I have to wait until my mom gets out of class :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
So we're being bombarded with emails from our school asking us to contact our legislators and voice our opposition over a proposed bill that would require all research animals to be offered to any rescue organization before the school itself seeks adopters through the student body, faculty, etc. Is this an issue in anyone else's state? I guess this bill was fueled by animal rights activists, but it ignores the fact that these animals may have peculiar needs that the average person in our community may/may not be qualified to meet.

So we're being bombarded with emails from our school asking us to contact our legislators and voice our opposition over a proposed bill that would require all research animals to be offered to any rescue organization before the school itself seeks adopters through the student body, faculty, etc. Is this an issue in anyone else's state? I guess this bill was fueled by animal rights activists, but it ignores the fact that these animals may have peculiar needs that the average person in our community may/may not be qualified to meet.
What is the reasoning behind this? That it's inappropriate for the school to find adoption matches internally?

What is the reasoning behind this? That it's inappropriate for the school to find adoption matches internally?
Not that it's innappropriate...but based off the info I've been given (by the school, so it maybe biased), the groups pushing this bill may feel that we don't do enough to ensure that these animals are found homes instead of euthanasia, or that they feel they'd find better homes I guess. Our school in particular has a really high success rate of adopting out research animals that didn't need to be euthanized for the experiment itself. Here's the bill itself: http://ilga.gov/legislation/fulltex...92479&DocNum=4297&GAID=13&Session=&print=true

It sounds like the biggest concern is that these animal rights groups will take on these animals that may have really unique needs and either give them to adopters who may not be able to handle that or use them as animal rights propaganda (I believe one of the supporters of this bill is a convicted felon, guilty of being an animal rights 'terrorist' essentially).

These are the listed exceptions: "The dog or cat has a behavioral or temperamental defect that poses a risk to the public. The dog or cat has symptoms of a disease, injury, or hereditary condition that adversely affects the health of the dog or cat. The dog or cat is in need of maternal care and has been impounded without its mother."

Maybe it's just me, but maybe research animals might just have a condition that adversely affects their health. Not all the time, but I feel like it's a high enough chance that the school could get an exception for almost any animal if they worded their appeal correctly.

These are the listed exceptions: "The dog or cat has a behavioral or temperamental defect that poses a risk to the public. The dog or cat has symptoms of a disease, injury, or hereditary condition that adversely affects the health of the dog or cat. The dog or cat is in need of maternal care and has been impounded without its mother."

Maybe it's just me, but maybe research animals might just have a condition that adversely affects their health. Not all the time, but I feel like it's a high enough chance that the school could get an exception for almost any animal if they worded their appeal correctly.

But why pass a law that nearly 100% of the animals are "excluded" from? That makes it a pointless law. Not only that, but a waste of money for the schools to have to spend more time/energy into explaining why an animal isn't suitable to be adopted by the public instead of them just adopting the animals out internally as they do now.

No need for the law. But can't say that I am surprised that an animal rights group came up with this... not in the least bit.

Not only that, but it further congests and clogs up animal rescues/shelters that may be or are possibly already at full capacity. Basically, it is an incredibly pointless and stupid law.

Reactions: 1 users
But why pass a law that nearly 100% of the animals are "excluded" from? That makes it a pointless law. Not only that, but a waste of money for the schools to have to spend more time/energy into explaining why an animal isn't suitable to be adopted by the public instead of them just adopting the animals out internally as they do now.

No need for the law. But can't say that I am surprised that an animal rights group came up with this... not in the least bit.

Not only that, but it further congests and clogs up animal rescues/shelters that may be or are possibly already at full capacity. Basically, it is an incredibly pointless and stupid law.

I totally agree with you. I was pointing out those exceptions because I was agreeing with PP that most of these animals shouldn't be adopted to lay people over those that actually go to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this popping up in any other states, though? Just looking at our numbers: "The vast majority of dogs and cats used in research and teaching at UIUC are privately owned animals engaged in studies at the distinguished College of Veterinary Medicine. The actual number of dogs and cats owned during 2011-2015 (e.g. purchased with UIUC funds) was 30 dogs and 84 cats, respectively. Of the 30 dogs, 24 were adopted, 5 were euthanized for medical and/or research necessity. Similarly, of the 84 cats, 62 were adopted, and 6 were euthanized out of medical and/or research necessity. There is also one dog and 16 cats still in service. Our adoption policy is clearly working." Why are groups even worried? Pretty obvious we're not simply euthanizing at the end of the study. Plus, this bill includes teaching animals. I assume that means our junior surgery animals. Most of those animals are adopted by students immediately after their surgery and never have to see the walls of a shelter again. Why prevent that and force them to go to any rescue with room? What about our teaching horses and cattle?

Well, apparently Scalia died today. The political discourse in the US is about to get even more intense.

Does anyone use a white noise marker? I currently just run a little fan, but I feel like I might be happier with something else.

The bf got me one (mainly because he started sleeping with one at his parents' house and now he's used to it). It drove me insane at first because I found it too noisy, but now I'm kind of used to it. I don't think it's helped necessarily with sleeping for me because I just don't sleep well but I think it would be useful if I was in a large complex with more people. Right now I'm just in a town home that I share with 4 other roomies.

This made me giggle.

12523118_1151786738164894_2774576838533605472_n.jpg

Would y'all eat this??

I saw this on Facebook and thought it was amazing! I love the details with oxygenated and deoxygenated blood under the main layer of fondant... Hell yes I would eat it!

It's cake. I will eat cake. Though I do have limits of what cakes I'll eat. Some of the really weird stuff on cakewrecks... Nope. But that heart cake? Cut me a piece of left ventricle, please.

Did you guys see the brain cake? The details they go into are awesome. Gotta love it when things are both educational and edible!

Yes, though I hate when I have to remove a layer of fondant from any cake to get to the enjoyably delicious parts.

Marshmallow fondant! I used to hate fondant until i started making cakes for my baby bro with the marshmallow stuff. Literally melted marshmallows, butter and sugar.

So I got this job at the ER clinic I currently work at and pretty quickly realized the schedule sucked. I was told that as a specialty hospital, they were involved in a lot of training and I would get to build upon my knowledge base and grow (something ridiculously important to me). I was told I would get to rotate through the Surgery and Neuro and other teams and play with lots of new toys.

Well, in reality, I work emergency and critical care only. That's fine, but when emergencies do come in, the neuro and IM and surgery techs come flying out of the woodwork and take over cases since they would rather do that than patient care. So, mostly I end up as an over qualified, underpaid, over worked kennel attendant who occasionally gets to work on emergencies and draw blood for other departments.

Some of my coworkers are socially challenged (as a nice way of saying this). In general, it hasn't been a great experience. Definitely not what I thought I was signing up for.

Now nearly the whole ER team is threatening to quit at once. My old job emails me in the thick of things and asks if I'm willing to come back. They are a nonprofit, low cost spay/neuter clinic. I know the staff, trained a bunchanged of them. The schedule would be easier and I've been hinted that the pay will be better too. (I was making the same at the specialty hospital as what I last made at the non profit.)

I am really tempted to go back, but I also don't want to leave the ER in the lurch if the others really do follow through on their threats. They did make the work place suck, but they don't quite deserve that.

I am not listing all the bad here, so don't assume I'm being petty. There have been cops and threats and all sorts of bad juju, but they haven't directly affected me other than passed on stress. It just sucks because I am one of those personalities that wants to be all things to all people.

But at the same time, yeah, I'm so awesome my old job is begging!

Ugh short hair sometimes. When it gets fluffy you can't borrow gel from your friends like you could borrow hair ties when you had long hair. Any short haired ladies relate?

Ok, I need advice. If senior vet students/new grads/more established vets, etc. wouldn't mind chiming in here...

I'm a vet student that did a 180 flip and would like to pursue SA general practice (the last thing I ever thought I would do) but I'm limited in my SA experience because I was very focused prior to vet school on something completely different. I was a tech assistant for a few months during the school year at an emerg practice and have a "tech asst with vet student learning opportunities" position this summer at a different place (I've done various SA volunteering as a pre-vet, worked as a receptionist, etc. but it was pretty minor). Upon a recent discussion with my mentor (a retired SA gen practice owner), I've become confused as to what I should be doing after graduation with practice ownership as a goal in the future. He has said that I shouldn't be writing off an internship as good mentorship and exposure would be valuable for me. However, I was always under the strong impression that an internship would be overkill for someone not looking to do emerg or specialize?

Is this still the general consensus - that it's largely unnecessary? I don't care to sell my soul for a year when I'm not pursuing specialization, but are there internships that would be more reasonable for a general practitioner looking for mentorship and confidence?

Any input would be appreciated. :)
We had a lunch talk from one of the corporate vet chains that offers an internship, and they sold it as getting several years of experience in one year. I know they were just trying to sell their program, but they made it sound pretty attractive. I actually considered it, but I will likely decide I need to start making real money sooner due to my age.

We had a lunch talk from one of the corporate vet chains that offers an internship, and they sold it as getting several years of experience in one year. I know they were just trying to sell their program, but they made it sound pretty attractive. I actually considered it, but I will likely decide I need to start making real money sooner due to my age.

Haha you caught my post before I decided to move it to a specific thread. Was it VCA?

My mother's words of encouragement for the day:

"Let me tell you something, get a job where you don't have to be outside in this crappy weather in the winter, and you don't have to work on weekends and holidays and you have normal hours and you get paid by the hour unlike me. Oh wait you're going to be an equine Veterinarian, you are so screwed!"

Haha you caught my post before I decided to move it to a specific thread. Was it VCA?
Yes it was VCA. There isn't a VCA near where I live, so I don't know much about them. I've heard some people say they don't care for them while others seem to like them. While I might not be interested in a VCA internship specifically, they also spoke to the benefits of a rotating internship no matter where you do it (given case load, available/willing mentors etc). I could see how it would give you a lot of experience in several areas that are beneficial to gp in a short period of time. I think as long as you get into an internship that is a good fit, it's probably not a bad idea.

Ugh short hair sometimes. When it gets fluffy you can't borrow gel from your friends like you could borrow hair ties when you had long hair. Any short haired ladies relate?
I just let it fluff. My hair cut is meant to incorporate the natural fluffiness and my total lack of desire to put any time whatsoever into styling.

This is why I keep my hair super duper long. It still fluffs because that is life, but the length weighs down the fluff. Sometimes.

I just let it fluff. My hair cut is meant to incorporate the natural fluffiness and my total lack of desire to put any time whatsoever into styling.

Expressing my natural volume was the goal for cutting it, but it's just not too flattering on me. But really it is just so much easier. At the least, people actually guess my age in the 20s now!

This is why I keep my hair super duper long. It still fluffs because that is life, but the length weighs down the fluff. Sometimes.

This was me for years and years until I got sick of tangles. I started cutting it off slowly three years ago until I gradually had nothing!

I've spent the last three years of vet school getting my hair from ear length to long enough to hold the fluff down. Only in the last couple months has it really gotten there - I've spent some really annoying years in floofy hair purgatory...

This was me for years and years until I got sick of tangles. I started cutting it off slowly three years ago until I gradually had nothing!
I've cut mine short twice (several years apart) and hated it both times. Did not suit my face. The tangles are a menace but I only really bother with them twice a week, when my hair is drenched and full of conditioner. Hence the necessity of a shower drain cover...
It is almost annoyingly long on the rare occasion that I straighten it, goes from rib length to almost hip length and just gets in the way.

I did get some birthday money so I'm thinking of spending it on a Deva cut :D (special, probably overhyped, curly haircut for those who don't know)

Yes it was VCA. There isn't a VCA near where I live, so I don't know much about them. I've heard some people say they don't care for them while others seem to like them. While I might not be interested in a VCA internship specifically, they also spoke to the benefits of a rotating internship no matter where you do it (given case load, available/willing mentors etc). I could see how it would give you a lot of experience in several areas that are beneficial to gp in a short period of time. I think as long as you get into an internship that is a good fit, it's probably not a bad idea.
Where I currently work is a VCA Emergency and Specialty. The interns seem to really like it. They occasionally complain they are overworked, but they seem to tout the exposure to experiences during the rotation through the specialties as pretty darn awesome.

Some of the vets seem to think they are coddling the interns, but I mainly think that's grumpy old doctor "I had to walk uphill, both ways, in a blizzard..."

There are also a bunch of other local opportunities in the area, so some of the interns have taken advantage of that.

I'd say for an intern, this hospital sounds pretty good... but there is someone who comes on here occasionally who is one of those interns that would be able to tell you better, if she's willing to give up a little anonymity.

I miss my short hair so much some days, but I have super fine hair so it doesn't fluff, it just statics. But I have gained some weight and I just don't think it would look great now, plus the 'growing out' phase is basically the worst thing ever.

Here is some obnoxious stuff about having long hair, though - since this is the longest my hair has ever been.
- Shedding. Everywhere. All the time. Woven into clothing, clogging the drains, floating around the car, stuck to anything fleece. Sometimes the dog poops it out and it gives her a dingleberry.
- Closing it in the car door or window.
- Brushing it out after a shower. Unless you saturate it with leave-in conditioner, which in turn makes my fine straight hair even more straight and scraggly.
- Putting on a backpack or purse and getting hair caught under it
- So much cute stuff to do with long hair, but really it's just ponytails and braids and buns
- Slightly damp hair and wanna sleep? Hello super soggy pillow. And forget about it drying fast on its own...
- Wanna sleep without getting strangled by your hair? Better put it up or braid it. It'll be weirdly curly tomorrow as a result, so plan to have it up in a bun then too.
- Trying to eat? Oh, there is a hair in your food. Oh wait, it's still attached to your head. Sigh.

Reactions: 9 users
I have never understood just HOW my hair would get woven into my clothing!

I miss my short hair so much some days, but I have super fine hair so it doesn't fluff, it just statics. But I have gained some weight and I just don't think it would look great now, plus the 'growing out' phase is basically the worst thing ever.

Here is some obnoxious stuff about having long hair, though - since this is the longest my hair has ever been.
- Shedding. Everywhere. All the time. Woven into clothing, clogging the drains, floating around the car, stuck to anything fleece. Sometimes the dog poops it out and it gives her a dingleberry.
- Closing it in the car door or window.
- Brushing it out after a shower. Unless you saturate it with leave-in conditioner, which in turn makes my fine straight hair even more straight and scraggly.
- Putting on a backpack or purse and getting hair caught under it
- So much cute stuff to do with long hair, but really it's just ponytails and braids and buns
- Slightly damp hair and wanna sleep? Hello super soggy pillow. And forget about it drying fast on its own...
- Wanna sleep without getting strangled by your hair? Better put it up or braid it. It'll be weirdly curly tomorrow as a result, so plan to have it up in a bun then too.
- Trying to eat? Oh, there is a hair in your food. Oh wait, it's still attached to your head. Sigh.

How do you strangle yourself with your hair? Are you constantly tossing and turning? I don't think I've ever closed my hair in a car door or window either. My hair is so damn oily naturally that brushing even right after a shower isn't a big deal, actually if I don't do that I'll be cursing later as I try to brush through a giant tangled and curly mess.

The rest is fairly accurate except replace dog with cat. I despise short hair though so I'm biased towards long hair.

My cat likes to eat the little curls of hair that he finds in the bathrooms. My whole family has a lot of long, curly hair, so it's just everywhere. I don't wash my hair at night due to the drying time issue. Haven't ever had it strangle me, but I do wake up looking like a lion if I sleep with it out.

How do you strangle yourself with your hair? Are you constantly tossing and turning? I don't think I've ever closed my hair in a car door or window either. My hair is so damn oily naturally that brushing even right after a shower isn't a big deal, actually if I don't do that I'll be cursing later as I try to brush through a giant tangled and curly mess.

The rest is fairly accurate except replace dog with cat. I despise short hair though so I'm biased towards long hair.

I don't know, it just wraps around my neck whenever I roll over. Plus I'm kind of sweaty so it can get stuck to me too - overall unpleasant.

The car door thing totally happens. Mostly when it's windy or very static-y.

With the rate my wife sheds her hair I'm surprised she isn't bald yet.

I could never handle having long hair, props to all of you that put up with it.