Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like how the more said person posted, the less attention he got. My favorite is when he disrespected the Ross recruiter. "why would I settle for Ross!?" SMH...

Anyways, APVMA is super annoying now that VMCAS has opened.

Oh, I didn't even see that he said that to a Ross recruiter! Wow! That'll come back and bite him. Geez.

Members don't see this ad.

@batsenecal @pinkpuppy9 @heyyimhayley That was me that just friend-requested you guys, because you're who I could find a while back from APVMA. :p If anyone else wants to be friends hit me up!

ETA: I added a few other people as well based on mutual friends with Hayley and Rocky!
Did you send me a request? Because I got one and wasn't sure who it was. My profile pic is a gray cat with a hamster in a blue exercise ball.

Currently hiding in my bf room from the grad party outside. Too much graduation socializing in the past 72 hours. The introvert in me is dying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you send me a request? Because I got one and wasn't sure who it was. My profile pic is a gray cat with a hamster in a blue exercise ball.
Yup, that was me!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so we did facebook... Who has LinkedIn? I just started one and could use connections :p

Reactions: 1 users
I like how the more said person posted, the less attention he got. My favorite is when he disrespected the Ross recruiter. "why would I settle for Ross!?" SMH...

Anyways, APVMA is super annoying now that VMCAS has opened.
@batsenecal Is this the guy that blocked me since I was making a victim out of women when he said some disturbingly unintelligent things?

Edit: I have a Linkedin! I'm not on it much, but feel free to find me!

@batsenecal Is this the guy that blocked me since I was making a victim out of women when he said some disturbingly unintelligent things?

Edit: I have a Linkedin! I'm not on it much, but feel free to find me!

I think so. The dude applying only to NCSU who was a vet tech for forever.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on LinkedIn. Very little about veterinary stuff, though. It was for my old career.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to finish a cosplay for a convention in Chicago this weekend is driving me absolutely BONKERS

I'm on LinkedIn. I've been trying to shift toward repro connections lately and those are both human and veterinary medicine, but my vet experience still seems to get more attention.
We'll see, maybe I will go the way of most of my peers and opt for human medicine. A lot more patient interaction and money on that side.

Just PM if you want my LinkedIn or want to be FB friends. I don't think I'm friends with enough people to be able to find everyone.

Also, I have no idea what to do with my signature now that I'm done.

I have "All Star" profile strength on LinkedIn. I like to pretend that means something.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, I have no idea what to do with my signature now that I'm done.

Well, you obviously get a LisaFrank Orca to stick there.

Edit: Quick search didn't bring up an orca, but this is pretty LisaFrank-y.

giphy.gif

I found three pairs of chemistry lab goggles while cleaning out my study today. Do I need them in vet school?

So first surgery was today, and since I have back issues (scoliosis), I wore a (I guess cheaper...) back brace, insoles, and took an NSAID before. 6 hours later and everything hurts so so so badly.... any suggestions for better back support?

So first surgery was today, and since I have back issues (scoliosis), I wore a (I guess cheaper...) back brace, insoles, and took an NSAID before. 6 hours later and everything hurts so so so badly.... any suggestions for better back support?
Any chance you can get like, something that'll go up to your shoulders too? Like a full upper body brace?

What about those rubber/foam whatever floor mats? When I used to stand for 14 hours a day for a living those things saved my legs a whole lot, it might be good for backs too

Any chance you can get like, something that'll go up to your shoulders too? Like a full upper body brace?
Is there a certain kind that you've heard of/you would suggest? I had just a lumbar brace today and it was not cutting it.

What about those rubber/foam whatever floor mats? When I used to stand for 14 hours a day for a living those things saved my legs a whole lot, it might be good for backs too
I don't think they would allow them in our surgery class, unless I got a note or something.. I could think about that for when I go into practice though. I had no idea those even existed!

Was the table at the right height?

Not a rant or rave so I guess it would fit here.. My best friend here at school had to have emergency surgery today for an ovarian cyst the size of a cantaloupe.. They ended up having to remove her entire ovary and uterine tube on the effected side. I feel so sick to my stomach for her... She is also braca + meaning she is at a higher risk for developing ovarian and breast cancer. We are all praying this truly is just a cyst and not something more insidious.

People, what are your thoughts on compassion fatigue? Does it affect you?How does it affect you? How do you combat it? (You would be helping a very tired 4th student getting 16h days in ortho right now and she (me) would be eternally grateful if you gave me your thoughts!!!)

People, what are your thoughts on compassion fatigue? Does it affect you?How does it affect you? How do you combat it? (You would be helping a very tired 4th student getting 16h days in ortho right now and she (me) would be eternally grateful if you gave me your thoughts!!!)

It sucks that you have to start with a rotation you hate. I started with a rotation I hated too. It sucked and it made me sure that the rest of fourth year would suck and omg how will I make it a whole year like this... cue some panic and lost sleep and like ten pounds in three weeks.

But, the next rotation was better, and the one after that was okay, and time passed and it was okay.

I don't know about compassion fatigue - I guess I'm not sure I can help there - but I did want to make it clear that whatever crap you are dealing with in rotation one will not mean the same crap on the other rotations. So hang in there. And if you need to talk to someone - counselor, trusted clinician, therapist - don't hesitate.

It sucks that you have to start with a rotation you hate. I started with a rotation I hated too. It sucked and it made me sure that the rest of fourth year would suck and omg how will I make it a whole year like this... cue some panic and lost sleep and like ten pounds in three weeks.

But, the next rotation was better, and the one after that was okay, and time passed and it was okay.

I don't know about compassion fatigue - I guess I'm not sure I can help there - but I did want to make it clear that whatever crap you are dealing with in rotation one will not mean the same crap on the other rotations. So hang in there. And if you need to talk to someone - counselor, trusted clinician, therapist - don't hesitate.
Oh TT you are such an amazing human being. I should have made it clear. Compassion fatigue is the topic of my senior paper and I have hit a writing wall hard. And this crappy rotation isn't helping because the days are long and leave zero time to work on it (we're on call on the weekends too and I was at the hospital from 2pm Saturday to 8am Sunday dealing with stuff). I was just trying to get some outside perspective on the topic

Oh TT you are such an amazing human being. I should have made it clear. Compassion fatigue is the topic of my senior paper and I have hit a writing wall hard. And this crappy rotation isn't helping because the days are long and leave zero time to work on it (we're on call on the weekends too and I was at the hospital from 2pm Saturday to 8am Sunday dealing with stuff). I was just trying to get some outside perspective on the topic

Ohh... Lol.

Well my words still stand in regards to your rotation (and any other 2017ers).

As for your paper, I don't have anything specific to add. :p

Ohh... Lol.

Well my words still stand in regards to your rotation (and any other 2017ers).

As for your paper, I don't have anything specific to add. :p
I do appreciate it. This rotation has been giving me some pretty bad burnout (guess I DO have some compassion fatigue ;)). And I'm only ~2weeks in lol. They are just insanely long days and there's no time to really eat, sit down or catch your breath.

I am learning a ton and it's been interesting. But the expectations on this rotation are VERY high. Doesn't help that the student minimum is 5 and we only have 3 lol. Luckily my classmates on this rotation with me are amazing.

I don't think they would allow them in our surgery class, unless I got a note or something.. I could think about that for when I go into practice though. I had no idea those even existed!

Why on earth not? We have nice cushy floor mats .... I always forget to use them but I know the other docs like them. They help a bit, supposedly.

Why on earth not? We have nice cushy floor mats .... I always forget to use them but I know the other docs like them. They help a bit, supposedly.
No idea :shrug:, though I definitely will look into some.

My friend asked me a good gift to give a vets office aside from food. She moved out of state and is going back for a visit, she loved them and wanted to thank them for the great care they gave her fur-children. For some reason I drew a blank, anyone out there have any good suggestions?

My friend asked me a good gift to give a vets office aside from food. She moved out of state and is going back for a visit, she loved them and wanted to thank them for the great care they gave her fur-children. For some reason I drew a blank, anyone out there have any good suggestions?

Gift cards? One time a lady came in a gave everyone a $20 Starbucks gift card, everyone loved it

food. No really.

Starbucks gift cards (or whatever local coffee place), a nice card. Mugs go over well, usually, too.

At one place I worked, a client makes Christmas mixed-tapes for all the employees each year. Well, they're CDs, but same concept.

I just got home from a four day weekend at my parents' house. Now I have to clean and make my own food.... and there are no cute doggies to play with.

At least I have some new curtains and doors to put on my entertainment center (courtesy of Ikea).

Always food