Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have good suggestions for a collar color that would look good on an orange/white cat? Everything I can think of is a little too Halloween-y.

Turquoise-y blue. Blues are the complements of the orange hues so I'd start there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have good suggestions for a collar color that would look good on an orange/white cat? Everything I can think of is a little too Halloween-y.

Maroon? Brown? Pink?

Members don't see this ad :)
Day 1 of overnights and I'm dying. I miss my bed. I never appreciated how soft and wonderful it is.

This totally isn't just me being a baby either. Because I'm never a baby

Day 1 of overnights and I'm dying. I miss my bed. I never appreciated how soft and wonderful it is.

This totally isn't just me being a baby either. Because I'm never a baby
And don't even try to tell me it's only 10:30 and that I still have 8.5 more hours to go. I don't want to hear it. I'm sleepy!

Reactions: 2 users
And don't even try to tell me it's only 10:30 and that I still have 8.5 more hours to go. I don't want to hear it. I'm sleepy!
First couple nights are always the worst. And by the time you get adjusted you'll be back on a normal shift :p

I appreciate my school not doing true overnights as part of clinics... 3pm-2/3am (which is what we do) is pretty easy to adjust to, legitimate overnights after a day schedule sounds very unenjoyable.

I appreciate my school not doing true overnights as part of clinics... 3pm-2/3am (which is what we do) is pretty easy to adjust to, legitimate overnights after a day schedule sounds very unenjoyable.
Yeah dude. Ortho to LA ICU overnights to neuro! What dummy set this schedule up?! (It was me... But I didn't have anywhere else to fit crap! 4th year scheduling was a **** show)

The way 4th year started kind of blew too. Our last final was Thursday and clinics stated Friday morning. I don't know how other schools do it but this way made me cranky. (Especially because I had scheduled 2 weeks of vacation first thing and got PCAd into ortho. Oh well)

I'm not even very far into the year and I'm already burned out lol

The way 4th year started kind of blew too. Our last final was Thursday and clinics stated Friday morning. I don't know how other schools do it but this way made me cranky. (Especially because I had scheduled 2 weeks of vacation first thing and got PCAd into ortho. Oh well)

Gross. We're weird because we have two weeks of "selectives" after finals that are basically fun, focused classes... but even after those we still finish Friday, start clinics at noon the next Wednesday. Solid long weekend of freedom.

Hopefully you have something a little lighter after neuro? Not good to start burned out! :p

Gross. We're weird because we have two weeks of "selectives" after finals that are basically fun, focused classes... but even after those we still finish Friday, start clinics at noon the next Wednesday. Solid long weekend of freedom.

Hopefully you have something a little lighter after neuro? Not good to start burned out! :p
Yeessssss. I have pharm and clin path. That'll be like a vacation!

http://www.lsu.edu/miketiger/

Mike vi, LSU's live tiger, has been diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma. He has a year to live with radiation, and maybe a month without it. It happened so fast! :(

My mom told me the news earlier today. I'm so sad, VI has been in office since I think 2004(ed: 2007!) and I was there from 2010-2013 so he's "my" Mike. He is only turning 11 this July, could have had a good decade ahead of him :( I just can't believe it. I didn't visit his habitat that often since it was way over on the side of campus near the stadium, but I had to whenever I was in the area. Still have pics from freshman orientation to graduation. A word of warning though, don't go reading Facebook news comments if you don't want to get angered, haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Our last final was Thursday at 8:00 am. I had orientation for ICU at 4 pm that day and then worked until 7 am on Friday. I was pretty awful.

1. My orange and white cat has a purple collar
2. We had our last final on a Thursday, white coat on Saturday, and clinics started on Monday. The previous class had a week off between classes and clinics. Color me bitter.

We had overnight shifts in the small animal ICU. Like 10pm to 8am the next day? We didn't have to do the large animal ICU overnights - they paid someone to come in. We did have to take evening shifts to midnight on top of our daily 7am to whenever things finished, so those days were painfully long.

Don't miss a damn bit of it.

We never had overnights in 4th year. We would have on call (go home, if we have something come in, we'll call you), and ICU treatment shifts until 10 or 11PM (only responsible for current patients, not new ones).

We had overnight shifts in the small animal ICU. Like 10pm to 8am the next day? We didn't have to do the large animal ICU overnights - they paid someone to come in. We did have to take evening shifts to midnight on top of our daily 7am to whenever things finished, so those days were painfully long.

Don't miss a damn bit of it.
Yeah same. We have ICU or ER shifts during rotations with pt care

We had a full two weeks of overnight ICU/ER... 7PM to 7AM if on SA side, you'd get 3 or 4 LA ICU shifts which were by yourself (maybe with 1 other student) from 8PM to 8AM

We had a full two weeks of overnight ICU/ER... 7PM to 7AM if on SA side, you'd get 3 or 4 LA ICU shifts which were by yourself (maybe with 1 other student) from 8PM to 8AM
Yeah we only have 1 week of SA but we have 2 weeks of LA with 1 other student lol. The barn is eerie at 2am!

I have too many half finished craft projects I need to make some progress on. I have most of the supplies I need for two projects: my ento/animal old scientific illustration triptych for my stairwell and my Otomi accent wall in my living room. I'm hoping once I get back to work I'll be more motivated to spend my free evenings on these projects (I've been off work for the last month and a half and I'm not productive when I have lots of unstructured free time).

This is similar to what I'm hoping to achieve:

Otomi Wall (instead of painting, I'll be using removable vinyl wallpaper in a dark indigo on a off white wall)

Attachments

• Otomi Animal Wall.jpg
    Otomi Animal Wall.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 59
I have too many half finished craft projects I need to make some progress on. I have most of the supplies I need for two projects: my ento/animal old scientific illustration triptych for my stairwell and my Otomi accent wall in my living room. I'm hoping once I get back to work I'll be more motivated to spend my free evenings on these projects (I've been off work for the last month and a half and I'm not productive when I have lots of unstructured free time).

This is similar to what I'm hoping to achieve:

Otomi Wall (instead of painting, I'll be using removable vinyl wallpaper in a dark indigo on a off white wall)

This is awesome! I can't wait to see what yours looks like when you're done.

This is awesome! I can't wait to see what yours looks like when you're done.

I hope it turns out awesome. It's less technically challenging than the mural I made in my previous rental - which I completed in three phases over the course of two years.

My blue tree involved lots of free form work and hundreds of little pieces and much less stencil work (mostly just the birds). For the new mural, I'm making stencils out of poster board so I can get some consistency in the large mirrored animal shapes and then probably free forming the plants and smaller pieces.

Attachments

• DSC00484.JPG
    DSC00484.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01496.JPG
    DSC01496.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01515.JPG
    DSC01515.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to be working a couple doubles a week throughout August, September, and a bit of November before boards. This makes me sad for my poor lonely bed :(

I'm going to be working a couple doubles a week throughout August, September, and a bit of November before boards. This makes me sad for my poor lonely bed :(
For junior review my friend and I made a parody video of Adele's hello. Called goodbye lol. It's a breakup song to our beds. (And I totally didn't break glass singing it haha)

There is a war of epic proportions going on in the deep southern facebook community as of late. Does sugar go in grits or no?

I say yes, and apparently that makes me a northerner??

There is a war of epic proportions going on in the deep southern facebook community as of late. Does sugar go in grits or no?

Butter, pepper, and salt goes into grits - that's how my family eats them, anyway. I feel like sweet stuff is weird to put in them.

Then again, I am also really not a fan of grits.

I put jam in grits when I do get them. But I haven't seen many places that even serve them in California

My thing is, I think grits can be a breakfast or dinner dish. So sugar goes in in the morning, and then the cheese and pepper at night. We haven't even talked about shrimp as a topping! :heckyeah:

Very rarely do I eat grits, but it's almost always with sugar. :shrug:

Grits is a texture that I just can't get behind, not unlike cream of wheat, oatmeal, and warm pudding.
I am pretty much the least picky eater on the planet and yup, oatmeal-ish foods are the one thing I cannot stand. It kills me because I love the idea of the foods - the thought of oatmeal with brown sugar and nuts and whatnot sounds amazing, shrimp and grits and cheese sounds delicious, etc, but anytime I prepare or order them I just want to gag. :confused:

Grits is a texture that I just can't get behind, not unlike cream of wheat, oatmeal, and warm pudding.
THANK YOU! Avoidance of food based on nasty texture is a real legit thing guys, I don't care how good it tastes...

Edit: nasty is my opinion, if you adore that texture please don't be offended ... :p

Reactions: 1 users

Maybe I just haven't had it prepard correctly, but I think oatmeal is of a different texture than grits. Similar yes, but for some reason I can't stand the consistency of oatmeal.

I have even made my own oatmeal. Like, you crisp it up in the pan a little bit with a tiny bit of butter first, and then you add the milk and stuff. So it's not soggy at all, but man. It still just grosses me out. It smells AMAZING. But it's squishville.

Edit: nasty is my opinion, if you adore that texture please don't be offended ... :p

Too late, already triggered

But no, I def avoid food of other kinds of textures. If tuna or chicken is chopped too much for some reason it grosses me out. Like that of the canned variety. Guacamole/salsa are also things I'm not a fan of texture wise.

Too late, already triggered

But no, I def avoid food of other kinds of textures. If tuna or chicken is chopped too much for some reason it grosses me out. Like that of the canned variety. Guacamole/salsa are also things I'm not a fan of texture wise.

Oh my gosh. No salsa? Salsa is basically it's own food group here. I'm going to miss good Mexican food so much next year.

Mushroom's texture though, ugh. Ew.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh my gosh. No salsa? Salsa is basically it's own food group here. I'm going to miss good Mexican food so much next year.

Mushroom's texture though, ugh. Ew.
Mushrooms in general :vomit:

Reactions: 4 users