Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're both dead to me. More mushrooms more better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Guacamole and mushrooms are both repulsive. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh. No salsa? Salsa is basically it's own food group here. I'm going to miss good Mexican food so much next year.

Mushroom's texture though, ugh. Ew.

You're moving to Oklahoma, eh? You'll probably get some good Tex-Mex. we have it in LA. Most TX bordering states have it.

You're moving to Oklahoma, eh? You'll probably get some good Tex-Mex. we have it in LA. Most TX bordering states have it.
You'll have Taco Bueno! :love: I believe I already made known my love of Taco Bueno either earlier in this thread or in another one.

I can't think of anything really that has a texture I dislike. I actually love cream of wheat FOR the texture lol. But I have recently discovered that I have an abnormally sensitive sense of smell (I always thought it was just because I was wuss with a weak stomach, but I gag every time I'm about to brush my teeth because toothpaste smells so strongly, and yes, that makes vet med hard lol but you just grin and bear it!) so some foods that are VERY strong smelling are off putting to me.

**and don't even get me started about how much worse it is in the morning. I can't eat for several hours in the morning because everything stinks. If I ever get pregnant I'm going to have a hell of a time.

Reactions: 1 user

There is no good Mexican east of arizona. Tex-mex doesn't even compare to Mexican food. That'd be like telling someone used to Chicago deep dish pizza to order domino's. Sure, it is ok, but it just isn't anywhere near as good and you'll still miss Chicago deep dish (or Mexican food in this case).

You'll have Taco Bueno! :love: I believe I already made known my love of Taco Bueno either earlier in this thread or in another one.

You don't find real Mexican at fast food restaurants.

Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on your definition of mexican food. :) There are a ton of places in Central Texas that offer the same food that you would find served in any home south of the border; as well as some really good Tex-Mex. (that you can find in restaurants south of the border ;)) me, I am just spoiled...have family on both sides! good food anytime...

There is no good Mexican east of arizona. Tex-mex doesn't even compare to Mexican food. That'd be like telling someone used to Chicago deep dish pizza to order domino's. Sure, it is ok, but it just isn't anywhere near as good and you'll still miss Chicago deep dish (or Mexican food in this case).

You don't find real Mexican at fast food restaurants.
All the people who cross the border into NM or TX can't cook Mexican food for some reason? I grew up in a neighborhood in Texas where I was weird for speaking English as my first language. Guarantee you we had some damn good mom and pop Mexican food...

Also adore Tex-Mex, but I agree it's a different beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idaho has good Mexican food. We have a really large (and growing!) Hispanic population. The south part of the state is better, but we have a couple of Mexican restaurants in my town that are pretty good (to my standards at least).

meh. There's authentic (and good) mexican here, too. It's harder to find, in a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, but it's so freaking good.

This. It's always the places that you wouldn't want to eat just at face value that has the best food.

I admittedly do need to travel more :p

All the people who cross the border into NM or TX can't cook Mexican food for some reason? I grew up in a neighborhood in Texas where I was weird for speaking English as my first language. Guarantee you we had some damn good mom and pop Mexican food...

Also adore Tex-Mex, but I agree it's a different beast.

I've tried various Mexican places in NM and Texas, you can find good food, but it still just doesn't compare to what we have here. Definitely better than what the Midwest has for Mexican. ;)

And I also love me some good Tex-Mex, but it just isn't the same as Mexican food. :)

Shrimp and grits or cheesy grits for me. I've never had sugar in grits but would be willing to try it! I am not bothered by texture much, used to hate mushrooms but I've gotten used to them in some dishes. My boyfriend however...he can't eat most fruits due to texture.

my dad used to put sugar and milk in his grits for the morning meal, then salt pepper and butter for the evening meal. personally, I just don't like them. reminds me of eating sand.

Idaho has good Mexican food. We have a really large (and growing!) Hispanic population. The south part of the state is better, but we have a couple of Mexican restaurants in my town that are pretty good (to my standards at least).

I was going to say, there are quite a few places in eastern WA with a high Hispanic population (Yakima comes to
mind) that have authentic Mexican food. Makes sense it's similar in ID!

Random musing: Cats can get Interceptor (milbemycin oxime). Cats can get Comfortis (spinosad). I haven't found anything yet about these products not being able to be used in conjunction. So, why isn't there a Trifexis-type product for cats?

Random musing: Cats can get Interceptor (milbemycin oxime). Cats can get Comfortis (spinosad). I haven't found anything yet about these products not being able to be used in conjunction. So, why isn't there a Trifexis-type product for cats?
well, the dosages are different in dogs and cats. i keep hoping a company will do this, but not so, yet

well, the dosages are different in dogs and cats. i keep hoping a company will do this, but not so, yet
It seems like a logical step for Elanco since they have the ingredients already. But yeah i guess the product ratios for dogs vs cats would be different so it would have to be a whole new product vs just getting Trifexis labeled for cats (like with Interceptor and Comfortis)? I haven't looked that deeply into it.

It seems like a logical step for Elanco since they have the ingredients already. But yeah i guess the product ratios for dogs vs cats would be different so it would have to be a whole new product vs just getting Trifexis labeled for cats (like with Interceptor and Comfortis)? I haven't looked that deeply into it.
they had a complex response when I asked the last time. But I don't remember all of it.

There is a war of epic proportions going on in the deep southern facebook community as of late. Does sugar go in grits or no?

I say yes, and apparently that makes me a northerner??

Stupid question because just talking about grits automatically makes one a southerner.

I don't even really know what grits are.

LetItSnow - Proud to be on the right side of the civil war

Reactions: 8 users
Stupid question because just talking about grits automatically makes one a southerner.

I second this. Grits are a myth. I don't think I've ever seen any in real life.

Shrimp and grits or cheesy grits for me. I've never had sugar in grits but would be willing to try it! I am not bothered by texture much, used to hate mushrooms but I've gotten used to them in some dishes. My boyfriend however...he can't eat most fruits due to texture.
He's not alone...

LetItSnow - Proud to be on the right side of the civil war

I second this. Grits are a myth. I don't think I've ever seen any in real life.

Have yall at least heard of hominy? Kernels of corn that go through this weird process? It's ground hominy basically. :D

It blows my mind how things differ by geographical location. I mean, the foods we eat and all. I REALLY need to travel more...

Have yall at least heard of hominy? Kernels of corn that go through this weird process? It's ground hominy basically. :D

It blows my mind how things differ by geographical location. I mean, the foods we eat and all. I REALLY need to travel more...
I've never heard of that

Reactions: 2 users

Hominy?

Nope. Sounds southern. Which makes it suspicious.

Reactions: 2 users

Nope, I have no clue what that is.

I do agree that things vary amazingly by region. I'm surprised by how many things are super common in Wisconsin that don't really exist elsewhere.

I've only ever had savory grits, but I've never had hominy. It kind of freaks me out.

My mind is blown people have never heard of hominy though. It's at most grocery stores around here?

Delicious! Kind of like grits but made from a slightly different ground up corn bit. More of a solid, creamy texture, can be served in a loaf/chunk or like grits.
Looks like something I would eat. I like most corn-based foods.

For all you texture weirdos (said with love :D ), I have a coworker who specifically said she really enjoys mushy, gooey foods. Vet almost barfed when he saw her chia seed drink that looked like a bunch of frog eggs (he is a texture weirdo).

For all you texture weirdos (said with love :D ), I have a coworker who specifically said she really enjoys mushy, gooey foods. Vet almost barfed when he saw her chia seed drink that looked like a bunch of frog eggs (he is a texture weirdo).

Once upon a time I was crazy and drank that crap every morning. Thinking about it makes me want to barf now. It was so slimy!

Lol I love that you think a buncha people who don't know what grits are will know what hominy is.

Also, as someone who likes to cook a lot, it hurts my heart that some of you don't know what polenta is. :cryi:

Looks like something I would eat. I like most corn-based foods.

The only people who drink Chia seeds are dishonest health weirdos who lie through their teeth as they claim it tastes "good".

Reactions: 4 users
Okay but two can play at this "how have you never heard of this food" game. Ever try lefse? Or lutefisk? ;)
Four months studying in Finland, had their variant of lutefisk more than once... not my favourite.

Korvapuusti though:

KuoKkeE.jpg

And Karelian pies...

YvVRDLy.jpg

:hungry:

I miss it so much...