Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reasons why animal control is interesting #1254: our newest bite case animal is a monkey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reasons why animal control is interesting #1254: our newest bite case animal is a monkey.
A couple years ago my mom came across a man with a bediapered monkey on his back at a walmart. Haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 reason why people shouldn't own monkeys

I hope they don't pull its teeth out.
I don't believe they will, from my understanding it was kept in an enclosure and bit two people when it escaped for a brief time. I know we are quarantining it because of our ordinances, but the animal may be confiscated from the owner for other reasons.

A couple years ago my mom came across a man with a bediapered monkey on his back at a walmart. Haha!
My great grandmother used to keep capuchin monkeys in her shower. She took them as collateral from indigent tenants when they couldn't pay rent (mind you, this was probably the 50's or 60's).

The very small handful of pet primates that I've had the "pleasure" of working with in a veterinary context all had owners attached that made crazy parrot people look damn mild...

Reactions: 3 users
The very small handful of pet primates that I've had the "pleasure" of working with in a veterinary context all had owners attached that made crazy parrot people look damn mild...
I know one guy who owns a small primate and is an excellent (non crazy) caregiver for the animal. However, he is also very clear to everyone that he does not consider it (or treat it as) a pet. He brings it to educational events, vet school exotics labs, and is licensed by the state to own the animal (as it's illegal there to privately own primates without approval/monitoring).

I do not like working on primates. The little **** of a marmoset named Cosmo had a thing for blondes and got away from his owners TWICE and then proceeded to hump my head. And one of the times he bit the crap out of my ear. :mad:

Reactions: 1 users
I do not like working on primates. The little **** of a marmoset named Cosmo had a thing for blondes and got away from his owners TWICE and then proceeded to hump my head. And one of the times he bit the crap out of my ear. :mad:

I'm probably not supposed to laugh at this.... But I can't help it.

The humping part, not the ear biting of course.

I laughed too, but the way I read it it seemed like the humping was alright but the biting was were the line was drawn

I laughed too, but the way I read it it seemed like the humping was alright but the biting was were the line was drawn
The humping was most definitely not ok. That was a disgusting little creature.

I knew of some capuchin monkeys that would masturbate then throw it at people when when they walked by. Nasty nasty nasty

Members don't see this ad :)
I love primates but just not the people who own them. I've been bit by marmosets, capuchins, vervets, spider monkeys, lemurs, and even the dreaded macaque!

Just curious, but is there an actual purpose to the stethoscope scrunchy cover things? Two of the four doctors at my work use them and I just never knew if they used them for a reason or if they must just like the way they look.

The correct term is stethoscope condom. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I don't really see this being better than cadavers but I also won't be practicing surgery on cadavers, so I guess I'll never know for sure.

I feel as though using shelter animals' cadavers is kind of a nice way to give their life some meaning and also to utilize the resource instead of just cremating them. While the simulator sounds as though it has some perks over a regular old cadaver, I'm sure $28,000 per simulator is too steep for a lot of programs at this point, even if they are "multi-use" (which...I'm curious to see just how multi-use they will be).

Reactions: 4 users
I feel as though using shelter animals' cadavers is kind of a nice way to give their life some meaning and also to utilize the resource instead of just cremating them. While the simulator sounds as though it has some perks over a regular old cadaver, I'm sure $28,000 per simulator is too steep for a lot of programs at this point, even if they are "multi-use" (which...I'm curious to see just how multi-use they will be).

Yeah, agreed.

I am also curious as to just how realistic this simulator is for surgery. That animal isn't attached to anesthetic machine which means students aren't learning how to use the anesthesia machine. Can it be hooked up? How does the monitoring work? Is the animal always stable? Can you make the animal unstable? Do you see changes if the simulator starts to lose blood? Or no? I mean, it is a nice thought and it looks decently realistic, but there are just some things that can't be simulated. And like you, I am not super against using shelter animals for teaching surgeries and think it is better than them just dying. At least their death has purpose if we use them for teaching.

Yeah I just don't see the huge benefits there. $28,000 divided by 40 uses is still $700 a go.

Meanwhile our nearest rural shelters euthanize 30-40% of their intake dogs and >80% of cats... there's no shortage of cadavers, and I would rather their lives go to teaching than nothing. But I understand that often doesn't sit well with the public.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I wouldn't want to be one of the last ones to use it either...

I completely agree.

There is a flip side, though - you can simulate some things in a device like this that aren't practical in a cadaver or terminal surgery. You can give the simulator a genuine (well... sorta... you know what I mean) foreign body. You could simulate the anxiety-inducing moment when you cause some animal to bleed and their belly is filling with blood and you don't rightly know where it's coming from. Etc.

So I can see some value.

But in general, I agree. I've always been a proponent of using 'no salvage' animals for training, as long as they are humanely housed and taken care of and their pain is controlled. If they are going to be euthanized anyway, I feel like it is worth some ('some' - always a nice objective word....) discomfort on their part.

I completely agree.

There is a flip side, though - you can simulate some things in a device like this that aren't practical in a cadaver or terminal surgery. You can give the simulator a genuine (well... sorta... you know what I mean) foreign body. You could simulate the anxiety-inducing moment when you cause some animal to bleed and their belly is filling with blood and you don't rightly know where it's coming from. Etc.

So I can see some value.

But in general, I agree. I've always been a proponent of using 'no salvage' animals for training, as long as they are humanely housed and taken care of and their pain is controlled. If they are going to be euthanized anyway, I feel like it is worth some ('some' - always a nice objective word....) discomfort on their part.
My boyfriend did a research project here using ballistics gel to create masses, foreign bodies, obstructions etc in cadavers. It was pretty cool.

I completely agree.

So I can see some value.

We have a pig terminal surgery lab that I feel is a very nice happy medium - two students work together through splenectomy, gastrotomy, r&a, cystotomy and then they are euthanized. At least our year they were part of some joint research project so their limbs were used for that afterwards.

I look back at that as probably the most useful afternoon I had in vet school. I was active doing spay days and such from the moment I was allowed in vet school, but still think back to that particular surgical experience all the time... because it's one thing to do oodles of young healthy sterilizations, and yet another completely to have a ligature slip during a splenectomy in a species you aren't familiar with and work it out on your own. If they remove that from our curriculum (which, of course, they've discussed doing due to cost, public perception, etc) I think it would be a huge loss.

I'm rambling I suppose, but fundamentally: yes, I agree with you and can't express enough how much I appreciated our terminal piggies. I wish we had more.

Yeah I just don't see the huge benefits there. $28,000 divided by 40 uses is still $700 a go.

Meanwhile our nearest rural shelters euthanize 30-40% of their intake dogs and >80% of cats... there's no shortage of cadavers, and I would rather their lives go to teaching than nothing. But I understand that often doesn't sit well with the public.

With anatomy, various courses with cadavers (like our intubate/CPR lab) and club wet labs, we definitely had trouble getting enough. I still remember the utter stink coming off one of our labs' dogs that had been reused for the whole week...blergh. Granted, this was a small community separated from the main land by a 10 mile bridge...

With anatomy, various courses with cadavers (like our intubate/CPR lab) and club wet labs, we definitely had trouble getting enough. I still remember the utter stink coming off one of our labs' dogs that had been reused for the whole week...blergh. Granted, this was a small community separated from the main land by a 10 mile bridge...
...yeah, yaaay for living in the South. ha. Those numbers are from the latest 2015 report and what is both sad but good is that they're actually fairly improved from the 2013 ones (when I last looked them up and suckered myself into adopting our surgery kitty from one of the >90% kill places).

We have a pig terminal surgery lab that I feel is a very nice happy medium - two students work together through splenectomy, gastrotomy, r&a, cystotomy and then they are euthanized. At least our year they were part of some joint research project so their limbs were used for that afterwards.

I look back at that as probably the most useful afternoon I had in vet school. I was active doing spay days and such from the moment I was allowed in vet school, but still think back to that particular surgical experience all the time... because it's one thing to do oodles of young healthy sterilizations, and yet another completely to have a ligature slip during a splenectomy in a species you aren't familiar with and work it out on your own. If they remove that from our curriculum (which, of course, they've discussed doing due to cost, public perception, etc) I think it would be a huge loss.

I'm rambling I suppose, but fundamentally: yes, I agree with you and can't express enough how much I appreciated our terminal piggies. I wish we had more.

I wish we had something like that. I've practiced those procedures and a few others on cadavers or just the organs themselves, and it was helpful but I wish it was something more like your experience.

It is weird to get a tattoo representing a family member if they're still alive? I know people do it once they have kids and such, but how about for a parent (most people I know do this once someone has passed)? I just thought of the perfect one to represent my dad that's completely original and would mean a lot to me and I would just prefer to get it when I'm younger than older.

My idea is to get a cartoon purple grasshopper done (not sure of location just yet). When my sister and I were younger, my dad used to tell us made up stories of Clem Cadiddlehopper the Purple Grasshopper before we went to bed. Now that I'm basically about to enter the adult world I thought it would be a unique way to represent my father who gave me his work ethic but also represent that I'm still his little girl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It is weird to get a tattoo representing a family member if they're still alive? I know people do it once they have kids and such, but how about for a parent (most people I know do this once someone has passed)? I just thought of the perfect one to represent my dad that's completely original and would mean a lot to me and I would just prefer to get it when I'm younger than older.

My idea is to get a cartoon purple grasshopper done (not sure of location just yet). When my sister and I were younger, my dad used to tell us made up stories of Clem Cadiddlehopper the Purple Grasshopper before we went to bed. Now that I'm basically about to enter the adult world I thought it would be a unique way to represent my father who gave me his work ethic but also represent that I'm still his little girl.

That's really stinking adorable. I don't think it's weird, and if it's something he would understand and appreciate, hell, why not get it while he's still alive to see it?

I don't think it's weird. It'll have a lot more meaning than most tattoos I see people get. I've wanted one forever but I just haven't settled on what I want yet! I'm also poor so there's that.

That's really stinking adorable. I don't think it's weird, and if it's something he would understand and appreciate, hell, why not get it while he's still alive to see it?

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if there was some unspoken rule I didn't know about. Now to start saving and thinking of where I want it.

I don't think it's weird. It'll have a lot more meaning than most tattoos I see people get. I've wanted one forever but I just haven't settled on what I want yet! I'm also poor so there's that.

I've thought about others I want, but they're not things I came up with on my own, so I've been holding off. A cliche one that I want is the coordinates of where I studied abroad. However, I think I want it on my foot and with me starting an internship soon, working out regularly, etc , it doesn't make sense to get it done just yet.

This idea literally just came to me last night and it's made me so excited, so I think it'll be my first one.

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if there was some unspoken rule I didn't know about. Now to start saving and thinking of where I want it.
Get whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want :) I have just the one tattoo, that I got after my finishing my first year and I was so excited about it. It holds a lot of meaning for me, and it's something I've wanted for a long time. It's very small, it's very discreet, and it's very plain. So, I was pretty disappointed when I heard people in my class talking about how it doesn't even count as a "real" first tattoo, and how lame it was. People who judge others for what they choose to get are lame.

Get whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want :) I have just the one tattoo, that I got after my finishing my first year and I was so excited about it. It holds a lot of meaning for me, and it's something I've wanted for a long time. It's very small, it's very discreet, and it's very plain. So, I was pretty disappointed when I heard people in my class talking about how it doesn't even count as a "real" first tattoo, and how lame it was. People who judge others for what they choose to get are lame.

Thanks! I definitely have had some people judge me for thinking of getting the coordinates one done, and it's probably part of the reason I didn't get it earlier on this year (that and well, clinics). I'm still going to get it at some point, but I am way more excited about this one right now.

And I tend to like smaller, simple tattoos myself. I want to keep this one small and want it somewhere I can conceal if needed, but just not sure where yet as I have a few others in mind and sort of have locations for them thought of and don't want to take up their spot. Haha.

Hmm. This is fairly random I suppose, not really a rant or a rave.

I got annoyed about twenty minutes into converting my resume into Banfield's online form this morning, ran off and did some chores instead. Never actually submitted it to the hospital I was looking at, but apparently it still hits their system because I came home to an email from their regional recruiter. :thinking:

Hmm. This is fairly random I suppose, not really a rant or a rave.

I got annoyed about twenty minutes into converting my resume into Banfield's online form this morning, ran off and did some chores instead. Never actually submitted it to the hospital I was looking at, but apparently it still hits their system because I came home to an email from their regional recruiter. :thinking:
Their application system sucks ass. I imagine it probably looks about the same for doctors that it does for paraprofessionals. So annoying. But at least (if I remember correctly) it saves stuff so if you are applying to multiple locations you don't have to do it over and over again.

There's a huge push for recruiting all kinds of staff right now, especially doctors, so I imagine they watch their system like a bunch of hawks

Their application system sucks ass. I imagine it probably looks about the same for doctors that it does for paraprofessionals. So annoying. But at least (if I remember correctly) it saves stuff so if you are applying to multiple locations you don't have to do it over and over again.

There's a huge push for recruiting all kinds of staff right now, especially doctors, so I imagine they watch their system like a bunch of hawks

It's just ever so slightly annoying because I've been talking myself in and out of applying to them and the system was helping talk me out of it again... but oh well. Guess that's kind of what recruiters are for, ha.

And yeah the system really reaalllly sucks. My resume is set up somewhat by skill (surgery - externships/courses/extracurriculars to do with surgery, exotics - externs/courses/extracurrics, yada yada) vs. chronological order, so converting it to fit the really cookie cutter one job-next job-next job is a pain in the rear.

Guys, it finally happened. I had a client try to show me a lump on themselves, that was on their pelvis, so they started pulling down the side of their pants to show me.

I was like, "SO ABOUT FLUFFY..." and they seemed to realize that was a bad idea :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Heh. I am home somewhat early on a Friday which is nice since I can crack a beer and finally eat today, but it's because I screwed up what I was doing in the lab and had to reset and will be going in this weekend. Yayboo?

Somehow just noticed that the 4-letter building name codes for the new vet school here at A&M are VENI, VIDI, and VICI. Hah!

Going through old college notes (most from 5-10 years ago) and I CANNOT bring myself to throw anything out. Seriously though, I highly doubt I'll ever need my inorganic chem notes from 9 years ago...

Going through old college notes (most from 5-10 years ago) and I CANNOT bring myself to throw anything out. Seriously though, I highly doubt I'll ever need my inorganic chem notes from 9 years ago...
Step 1: purchase scanner
Step 2: scan notes into computer
Step 3: start bonfire with physical notes

Step 4: Make S'mores

Step 5: Realize it will be 115 degrees tomorrow and a bonfire is probably the last thing you want to be sitting around. :(

Step 6: Realize you will be roasting no matter what, decide to make s'mores anyway.

:p