Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The best approach is to just complete step 3.
That's what I would do

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are people at 38% on VetPrep? I call shenanigans.

Reactions: 1 users
How are people at 38% on VetPrep? I call shenanigans.
That number says its the avg % of the course that all other vetprep students have completed over the same time period. I've had vetprep since february (asked my parents to help me out with it in the summer and they went ahead and bought it then) which I assume you haven't. I'm guessing since we are seeing the same percent that they just show it for the year not since the actual time you bought it which means it should include the people who took the NAVLE in spring. The % was 0 when I got vetprep and quickly went up to the 30's by april and now it's plateaued for awhile.

It is weird to get a tattoo representing a family member if they're still alive? I know people do it once they have kids and such, but how about for a parent (most people I know do this once someone has passed)? I just thought of the perfect one to represent my dad that's completely original and would mean a lot to me and I would just prefer to get it when I'm younger than older.

My idea is to get a cartoon purple grasshopper done (not sure of location just yet). When my sister and I were younger, my dad used to tell us made up stories of Clem Cadiddlehopper the Purple Grasshopper before we went to bed. Now that I'm basically about to enter the adult world I thought it would be a unique way to represent my father who gave me his work ethic but also represent that I'm still his little girl.

I have a cartoon Robin (bird) on my ankle for my mom (her name is Robin) and she's still alive. Go for it!

It is weird to get a tattoo representing a family member if they're still alive? I know people do it once they have kids and such, but how about for a parent (most people I know do this once someone has passed)? I just thought of the perfect one to represent my dad that's completely original and would mean a lot to me and I would just prefer to get it when I'm younger than older.

My idea is to get a cartoon purple grasshopper done (not sure of location just yet). When my sister and I were younger, my dad used to tell us made up stories of Clem Cadiddlehopper the Purple Grasshopper before we went to bed. Now that I'm basically about to enter the adult world I thought it would be a unique way to represent my father who gave me his work ethic but also represent that I'm still his little girl.
It's definitely ok to get a tattoo that represents a loved one while they at still alive. And in case you didn't know, purple grasshoppers are real and they are pretty huge! Here's a picture I took of one in Costa Rica.
image.jpeg

That number says its the avg % of the course that all other vetprep students have completed over the same time period. I've had vetprep since february (asked my parents to help me out with it in the summer and they went ahead and bought it then) which I assume you haven't. I'm guessing since we are seeing the same percent that they just show it for the year not since the actual time you bought it which means it should include the people who took the NAVLE in spring. The % was 0 when I got vetprep and quickly went up to the 30's by april and now it's plateaued for awhile.
I've had it since about February, just only used it for the power lectures until recently.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG. Little baby raccoons are the CUTEST!!
image.jpeg

I was watching some animal show this morning (something called "Badass Animals") and this little guy came on....

Could not stop laughing. They kept cutting to it howling in the moonlight.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm working on potentially switching some electives around and I'm wondering, for those in clinics that took a derm rotation, did you find it pretty useful for GP work? It's really the only specialty (besides dental) that I'm not getting a rotation in so I'm wondering if a derm rotation would be helpful or if it would be as boring as I'm imagining it to be :p

I'm working on potentially switching some electives around and I'm wondering, for those in clinics that took a derm rotation, did you find it pretty useful for GP work? It's really the only specialty (besides dental) that I'm not getting a rotation in so I'm wondering if a derm rotation would be helpful or if it would be as boring as I'm imagining it to be :p
yes.

I learned to do a good skin scrape, tape prep/skin cytology, punch biopsy, and we talked about appropriate allergy care and skin treatment guidelines. We had a couple zebras thrown in there, but not many and rounds were super helpful.

Derm was by far one of my favorite rotations and was super helpful. I also, sort of kind of like it, so I never really found it boring.

Derm was the one rotation I was heartbroken to not be able to make fit into my schedule. I'd definitely take if you can, especially if you want to do GP.

Thanks for the advice everyone! We technically get a few derm things on community practice but if I want to do a rotation I would have to do an off-site elective (at another school or a clinic with a dermatologist), which I'll probably end up doing since I'm leaning on either GP or emergency.

Thanks for the advice everyone! We technically get a few derm things on community practice but if I want to do a rotation I would have to do an off-site elective (at another school or a clinic with a dermatologist), which I'll probably end up doing since I'm leaning on either GP or emergency.

Our derm department is pretty busy. Sadly a few of the clinicians I love are leaving, but the department as a whole is a good group of people to work with.

So last night at 4AM, I get a call about a 4 week old kitten who's constipated, coughing, wheezing and bringing up bloody fluid. The client arrives cradling the kitten in his coat, and I think, "Huh, that's big for a 4 week old kitten, it's more like 6-9 months." Then the client puts the kitten on the table and I realized it was a 4 week old LYNX kitten, from the wildlife park.

Reactions: 3 users
So last night at 4AM, I get a call about a 4 week old kitten who's constipated, coughing, wheezing and bringing up bloody fluid. The client arrives cradling the kitten in his coat, and I think, "Huh, that's big for a 4 week old kitten, it's more like 6-9 months." Then the client puts the kitten on the table and I realized it was a 4 week old LYNX kitten, from the wildlife park.

Wat.

Why did he have it? Did he just.... take it?

Okay, just for further clarification, it was one of the workers from the wildlife park, we handle their vet care. But it was 4AM and I'm bad with names so until I saw the kitten and double checked the file, I didn't realize who it was.

Okay, just for further clarification, it was one of the workers from the wildlife park, we handle their vet care. But it was 4AM and I'm bad with names so until I saw the kitten and double checked the file, I didn't realize who it was.

So it was okay and not random and strange, you just weren't expecting it. Okay. :)

Are there really sewing hand guards?
Pretty sure I've seen people with little metal guards on like... How It's Made, in industrial settings. But I mean normally it's not a huge concern because the garment is flat and just pushed along, just this situation with the head held up/rotated around makes my fingers feel a bit scared.

I may or may not have just stepped into an argument with a bunch of bat^&%# crazy rescue nuts on Facebook. Let's hope this wasn't as terrible a decision as it sounds. :rolleyes:

I may or may not have just stepped into an argument with a bunch of bat^&%# crazy rescue nuts on Facebook. Let's hope this wasn't as terrible a decision as it sounds. :rolleyes:

I wanna join! Lol.

I wanna join! Lol.
Haha, it's on a rescue group that is completely insane and filled with people posting pictures of animals in horrible condition and asking for money because they "have literally $1 to their name". The other techs at work call it the Crazy Page. :p

They are currently having a meltdown because we euth'd a GSD that had been HBC and had a severe humerus fracture as well as several dislocations. Nobody can believe we would euthanize a purebred furbaby like that and they all seemed to be okay with leaving a nonambulatory animal without pain medication in the kennels for weeks until some rescue could pull it and hoard it somewhere. :yeahright:

Not a rave, and I feel like putting it in rant pre-judges the students involved before the school has come to its conclusions, so....

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-veterinary-students-accused-of-cheating.html

Kinda interesting that, if true, so many students would feel like a) they have to cheat to get through vet school, and/or b) so many students are willing to cheat to get through vet school. I never felt like I had to cheat - I just took the occasional really crappy test grade and sucked it up.

Not a rave, and I feel like putting it in rant pre-judges the students involved before the school has come to its conclusions, so....

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-veterinary-students-accused-of-cheating.html

Kinda interesting that, if true, so many students would feel like a) they have to cheat to get through vet school, and/or b) so many students are willing to cheat to get through vet school. I never felt like I had to cheat - I just took the occasional really crappy test grade and sucked it up.
This disturbed me greatly for sure. The lack of self respect hits me hardest here as I consider cheating, especially at a professional level, extremely telling.

Man, that's a crazy amount of students. There was a similar cheating scandal a few years back involving I think about 17 dental students, IIRC like 9 of them were dismissed. I know academic integrity violations were quite the issue at my undergrad, and most students involved were in pre-health majors. And a lot of times, they would be let off the hook. The worst I saw, one student went under investigation for skipping class and having someone sign her name on the role, and she got a C and a slap on the wrist. So if this really did happen, I'm hoping there will be a bigger push to nip cheating in the bud before students get into professional school.

This disturbed me greatly for sure. The lack of self respect hits me hardest here as I consider cheating, especially at a professional level, extremely telling.

Yeah. I try really hard not to judge from a newspaper article, so my feelings are general and not specific to OSU.... But it just depresses me to think of THAT MANY people cheating their way through vet school - because if you'll do that, you'll just as quickly lie to a client to throw me under the bus .... Lie on your medical records to hide a mistake ... Etc.

Cheating is lying - it is making a claim to an accomplishment (i.e. demonstrating knowledge) that you don't have or didn't do. If you'll lie there you'll find a way to rationalize lying anywhere else.

In the great big universe of karma, I hope anyone actually guilty (at any vet school) gets bit in the ass.

Yeah. I try really hard not to judge from a newspaper article, so my feelings are general and not specific to OSU.... But it just depresses me to think of THAT MANY people cheating their way through vet school - because if you'll do that, you'll just as quickly lie to a client to throw me under the bus .... Lie on your medical records to hide a mistake ... Etc.

Cheating is lying - it is making a claim to an accomplishment (i.e. demonstrating knowledge) that you don't have or didn't do. If you'll lie there you'll find a way to rationalize lying anywhere else.

In the great big universe of karma, I hope anyone actually guilty (at any vet school) gets bit in the ass.

Yeah, I can't imagine cheating at all. We had many take-home assignments in which we were to do alone. I did them, alone. Didn't even think of discussing with classmates. I just, I can't imagine cheating at all, but especially so in professional school. To me, it shows that you are not prepared to be in this field, or any professional field.

Don't know how many of those 85 really are guilty, but I agree, I hope karma bites them in the ass. And that goes for any students attempting to cheat through school. I'm still kind of surprised by some of the students that weren't dismissed based on their actions in the UK. Some of the behavior was outright atrocious and should have called for automatic and immediate dismissal.

Y'all should check out the comments on vetgirl's post about this. Oof.

You know what's fun when you work at a vet clinic? Having reactions to flea bites. I am currently covered in bites that are welting up. I have about 20 on my lower back, and then about as many spread out over the rest of my body. We've had a lot of cats with fleas in at work lately, and I've always reacted badly to flea bites (funny story: the one and only time we've ever had a flea problem I was itchier than our pets were), but this is ridiculous. I'm so freaking itchy and they're all swollen.

Thankfully everyone at home is treated so I don't need to worry about them.

(I'm assuming they're all flea bites. They're definitely bug bites of some kind because I can see the bite mark and they are way too spread apart to be spider bites unless this is a giant ass spider. The ones on my hand and arm definitely are, so I'm assuming some fleas just hitched a ride in my clothes and went to town.)

OMG. Little baby raccoons are the CUTEST!!
View attachment 204778
Until you get projectile diarrhea'd on, and have it dripping off of you. Or spend 15 minutes trying to stimulate them to go to the bathroom while they scream at you and try to bite you because they are mad you haven't fed them yet. And have your arms/wrists look like someone took a razorblade to them because of all the sharp claws attached to agile legs.

All true stories from my Sunday morning wild animal rehab shift

Disclaimer: I still love working with the little devils. Something in my head isn't right.

There's a small earthworm on the floor next to me. It's probably from my plant, but I'm trying to figure out how it would have escaped the pot and ended up in the middle of my dining room. No smeared guts, so I didn't drag it in on my shoes.