Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Swimmers with their muscles that flubble freaks me the eff out. Give me gore of all kind but don't shake your muscle out of the water. Add something else to my personal hell.

Cmon KD, touch the jiggly muscles.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cmon KD, touch the jiggly muscles.
That's very dirty

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though A) I still have a gazillion rotations left and B) Haven't even taken the NAVLE and C) Don't even move for 9 months I can't stop looking up homes for rent where I'm headed. It's a good procrastination technique
VIRMP prevents me from doing that :( I'm applying in two states and kind of all over them. I don't know what to do about state boards, let alone looking for housing! But I really want to look for housing :(

VIRMP prevents me from doing that :( I'm applying in two states and kind of all over them. I don't know what to do about state boards, let alone looking for housing! But I really want to look for housing :(

I casually looked at housing options in my top few cities before applying for the match. Cost of living is a big factor in your finances especially on an intern salary. Intern year I matched to a higher cost of living area and it would have been almost impossible without support from my family. My take home pay was $1800 per month and $1200 went to rent. I don't think COL should be the main determining factor for your rank list by any means, but it can be a reason to choose between two programs that are equal otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
My dogs were all indoor dogs and all 3 of them got ran over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
are you arguing that keeping pets indoors doesn't change the incidence of HBC?

You're wrong and there are papers if you are. If you have an unaltered animal it also increases their chances.

But. If you know you have an animal that makes a mad dash to be outdoors, you need to figure out a way to avoid that if you want to keep them safe. And with dogs, unless you have them defecate/urinate inside, they aren't all "indoors". Cats are a different story.

Reactions: 2 users
are you arguing that keeping pets indoors doesn't change the incidence of HBC?

You're wrong and there are papers if you are. If you have an unaltered animal it also increases their chances.

But. If you know you have an animal that makes a mad dash to be outdoors, you need to figure out a way to avoid that if you want to keep them safe. And with dogs, unless you have them defecate/urinate inside, they aren't all "indoors". Cats are a different story.

No I wasn't arguing that at all! I was just saying that it *can* still happen. It's not just negligence on the owner's part!

No I wasn't arguing that at all! I was just saying that it *can* still happen. It's not just negligence on the owner's part!

it's different with cats than with dogs. And the majority of the time, it is owners just having them be indoor/outdoor.

I think most of us are aware it can happen. But like dy said cats and dogs are apples and oranges.

And while it CAN happen at no fault of the owner, 2 kittens hbc does not scream protected indoor cats to me. And sometimes it IS due to negligence.

When I was a kid my neighbors had a string of like four tabby cats that all died in front of their house after getting run over. All named Texas, all HBC, all outdoor cats.

OG7WiCe.png

squissssssh. :happy:
I have one cat that demands full on heavy petting, meaning:

You squish his face and flatten his head and shoulders into the bed/couch/floor then pet down his whole body squishing it into the floor. Do this rapidly until he has to claw his way forward to escape. This is important because if he doesn't have to fight to escape, he will come swat at you and yell at you until he has been properly squished.

If you do it right, he has to do the full body shake off and entire tail whippy whippy thing and then purrs for about 10 minutes.

You squish his face and flatten his head and shoulders into the bed/couch/floor then pet down his whole body squishing it into the floor. Do this rapidly until he has to claw his way forward to escape. This is important because if he doesn't have to fight to escape, he will come swat at you and yell at you until he has been properly squished.

If you do it right, he has to do the full body shake off and entire tail whippy whippy thing and then purrs for about 10 minutes.
I think that sounds worse than intended...

I think that sounds worse than intended...

It definitely does :laugh:

But I also have a cat that likes it a bit rough, so I understand :p

I have a calico like this:

Hahha that's like our clinic kitty! She LOVES her butt smacked. And she groans when you do it. It's a little creepy hahaha

Though not quite that hard...

I casually looked at housing options in my top few cities before applying for the match. Cost of living is a big factor in your finances especially on an intern salary. Intern year I matched to a higher cost of living area and it would have been almost impossible without support from my family. My take home pay was $1800 per month and $1200 went to rent. I don't think COL should be the main determining factor for your rank list by any means, but it can be a reason to choose between two programs that are equal otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I totally agree, but I know that all my choices are affordable on the salary they offer (if it's the same as last year). I've stalked VIRMP religiously since first year. The only thing that kind of sucks is my top choice site would definitely be more of a stretch than other sites... but it's far and away my top choice and completely worth the tighter budget.

Apparently the University of Arizona's prospective veterinary program was denied its letter of reasonable assurance. Good news? Except that it looks like the school wants to appeal the decision.

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=62e84b579c82e467049f6f3fb&id=0b2ac79b3f&e=78fcec2146
I was a little confused about this. Are schools typically granted these letters of reasonable assurance before admitting a class? I thought it was pretty common for them to have to graduate the first class before there was any kind of guarantee of being accredited. You can't prove a service is good until it produces a reliable product.

I was a little confused about this. Are schools typically granted these letters of reasonable assurance before admitting a class? I thought it was pretty common for them to have to graduate the first class before there was any kind of guarantee of being accredited. You can't prove a service is good until it produces a reliable product.

Schools will have provisional accreditation until the first class graduates usually.

Letter of reasonable assurance is like "Hey, we think your program fits our guidelines and even though we can't say for sure until you teach and graduate a class, we think you'll do fine." I think schools can't matriculate a first class without a letter of reasonable assurance. Once they matriculate a first class they're given provisionary accreditation (the name is something like that) and they are fully accredited once they graduate their first class and that class is up to standards.

Reasonable assurance letter is first. I think that is what allows the school to begin admitting students. Provisional accreditation can then be granted once they have sent out acceptance letters, and then full accreditation during the second half of the final year of the first admitted class if they are in compliance with all the standards.

Who wants to make an owner handout on separation anxiety? No one? No? Ok.... sigh

I sort of made a video of how to desensitize your dog to SQ injections. I was supposed to actually make a legit video that they could give to clients but nobody got time for that.

I sort of made a video of how to desensitize your dog to SQ injections. I was supposed to actually make a legit video that they could give to clients but nobody got time for that.
Yeah this is for my behavior rotation. And both of my pups will be featured in videos! One for generalized anxiety and one just on clicker training

Thanks for the info guys :) I'm obviously way more ignorant on that subject than I realized!

Thanks for the info guys :) I'm obviously way more ignorant on that subject than I realized!
No problem! It's not a big deal to know all of the weird details about accreditation anyway haha.

I think at least a few of us know about it because we applied recently and probably had to look up the accreditation process a bit since a few of the schools are newer and haven't been fully accredited yet. I also lived in AZ for a long time and have been following U of A's vet school news for a while.

Amazon sent me an email thanking me for sending back a textbook rental, but all I can think about is the fifteen minutes it took me to jam my slightly-too-large box into the UPS Drop Box... :rofl:

Any of you surgery-loving folks know what tendon you need to avoid when performing a medial stifle arthrotomy? My friend was asking tonight and I'm super bad at anatomy. It's why I chose a physiology heavy residency ;) Also why I avoid any surgery-type activities like the plague, including wound management of any kind.

Any of you surgery-loving folks know what tendon you need to avoid when performing a medial stifle arthrotomy? My friend was asking tonight and I'm super bad at anatomy. It's why I chose a physiology heavy residency ;) Also why I avoid any surgery-type activities like the plague, including wound management of any kind.
medial colateral ligament?