Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Went into work for an emergency and while I was there noticed one of our pigs was off feed. Made mention to the gal working and left. Turned out this pig pooped in her waterer and blocked it completely so pig didn't want to go near her waterer. Once the waterer was clear, pig drank and finished her feed. Pigs are silly sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Went into work for an emergency and while I was there noticed one of our pigs was off feed. Made mention to the gal working and left. Turned out this pig pooped in her waterer and blocked it completely so pig didn't want to go near her waterer. Once the waterer was clear, pig drank and finished her feed. Pigs are silly sometimes.
People always call pigs dirty but they're actually fairly fastidious. I wouldn't want to drink **** water either!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get any likes from WZ, I feel left out. :( Or maybe I just need to post more.

I decided to sign up for Blue Apron and see how I like it! They kept sending me emails for $40 off the first delivery since I looked at their website a while back, and how can you beat three meals for $20? (Which will probably be more like six meals for me, considering it's intended for two people.) I enjoy cooking when I have the time, but I hate having to buy special ingredients and then having the rest of it go bad. So I tend to default to just making pasta, which I know isn't very healthy. My only worry is that I can be slightly picky, so some weeks it might be a struggle to pick three recipes that sound good, but I guess I can always skip that week. Hopefully this will help me save money by not eating out so much!

I didn't get any likes from WZ, I feel left out. :( Or maybe I just need to post more.

I decided to sign up for Blue Apron and see how I like it! They kept sending me emails for $40 off the first delivery since I looked at their website a while back, and how can you beat three meals for $20? (Which will probably be more like six meals for me, considering it's intended for two people.) I enjoy cooking when I have the time, but I hate having to buy special ingredients and then having the rest of it go bad. So I tend to default to just making pasta, which I know isn't very healthy. My only worry is that I can be slightly picky, so some weeks it might be a struggle to pick three recipes that sound good, but I guess I can always skip that week. Hopefully this will help me save money by not eating out so much!
Play WW, it's pretty much a like goldmine from her. ;)

Play WW, it's pretty much a like goldmine from her. ;)
Ah, that explains it. But I feel like the week before starting vet school would be a bad time to get into that... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone else seems to be managing well :p
Hasn't really stopped anyone else, let's be honest. :D
I don't know how they do it! :laugh: Sometimes I can barely keep up with the normal threads on here. Plus I have kind of an obsessive personality, so I would probably get way to into WW if I started playing. Maybe someday...

I don't know how they do it! :laugh: Sometimes I can barely keep up with the normal threads on here. Plus I have kind of an obsessive personality, so I would probably get way to into WW if I started playing. Maybe someday...
I resisted until clinical year... like to think my (already sad) vet school grades appreciated it.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah, that explains it. But I feel like the week before starting vet school would be a bad time to get into that... ;)
You always have to give yourself some free/play time, otherwise you'll burn out real quick! WW happens to take up most of that for me but of course if you have other things you like to do in your free time then it probably wouldn't work out too well.

Reactions: 1 user
You always have to give yourself some free/play time, otherwise you'll burn out real quick! WW happens to take up most of that for me but of course if you have other things you like to do in your free time then it probably wouldn't work out too well.
I feel like that will be my problem, giving myself too MUCH free time! I've gotten used to just working the past two years, and being home meaning it's time to goof off on the internet/watch Netflix.

I feel like that will be my problem, giving myself too MUCH free time! I've gotten used to just working the past two years, and being home meaning it's time to goof off on the internet/watch Netflix.
You will. And then you'll **** your pants when an exam looms. And then you'll learn. Or you won't learn. Which means that you'll be just like me in that regard... lol

So we did DNA testing on our two rescued. Logan's results do not surprise me, but I'm surprised Isla (tan one) has lab! Though you guys would find this cool:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
@lhmhtd I've thought about doing that on my mixed pups, kinda neat even if they're not all that accurate. I don't see the Iris Setter or Lab in Isla. Logan's is believable I think!

I'm excited about an article in GEN p 36, August 2016:

Stem Cells and the Frozen Zoo
By Jeanne F. Loring, Ph.D.

This is on the cutting edge of our field. Debate is still going on about whether it is possible (reprogramming fibroblasts into induced pluripotent stem cells that can be used to create embryos and in this case bring back the northern white rhino). Coolness!

I'm excited about an article in GEN p 36, August 2016:

Stem Cells and the Frozen Zoo
By Jeanne F. Loring, Ph.D.

This is on the cutting edge of our field. Debate is still going on about whether it is possible (reprogramming fibroblasts into induced pluripotent stem cells that can be used to create embryos and in this case bring back the northern white rhino). Coolness!
I watched a Ted Talk on something similar a little while back (ok, maybe not similar, more like...adjacent)

I watched a Ted Talk on something similar a little while back (ok, maybe not similar, more like...adjacent)

We had a lecture from one of the people that started with black footed ferrets and is part of the gamete preservation bank. Apparently they were debating whether this project had merit at the time and were just working out the kinks. (Her preference seemed to be to figure out what was best for the gametes we do have since the iPSC tech is still in it's infancy and so many were questioning whether we really could use them to create gametes.)

The actual article I poorly cited above has the reference to the article from the actual meeting where they sorted all this out. It's just exciting to see that it is moving forward and getting more press!

Trying to put myself out there and have started talking to some dudes. I don't know if I'm reading too much into things, but one of them seems kind of pushy and keeps asking when we're going to hang out on like a daily basis even though I've said numerous times that my schedule blows and I work a lot. He also totally asked if I liked weddings and casually threw out that he's in one in October...hope he doesn't think that's going to happen.

Or maybe I'm just used to more low key relationships where we both work a ton and don't expect constant communication.

Trying to put myself out there and have started talking to some dudes. I don't know if I'm reading too much into things, but one of them seems kind of pushy and keeps asking when we're going to hang out on like a daily basis even though I've said numerous times that my schedule blows and I work a lot. He also totally asked if I liked weddings and casually threw out that he's in one in October...hope he doesn't think that's going to happen.

Or maybe I'm just used to more low key relationships where we both work a ton and don't expect constant communication.
May be a little of both. Proud of you stepping out though!

May be a little of both. Proud of you stepping out though!

It's also probably a little bit of me holding back cause I consider myself to be an awkward person and I feel like I don't know how to interact in this manner. Haha. (and I'm just freaking tired on my days off and just want to lay in my bed all day)

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure if I got good at driving a 20ft box truck with a trailer, or I just stopped caring. Either way, I'm now across the country successfully

Reactions: 7 users
Normally I love volunteering at the local wildlife sanctuary. But then yesterday the coatimundi did this and I spent my afternoon in urgent care. Even when you're trying to help them, they're still wild animals at heart and can be unpredictable. I wish all the people that get foxes, raccoons, coatis, etc would remember this and not just get rid of them when they realize they're not like a cat or dog. Because they're NOT a cat or dog.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Not rant, not rave, so random:

My daughter is at her first day of kindergarten today. :scared:She's so excited! :soexcited:The school didn't really talk to us before hand, despite me trying to meet with teachers beforehand, so I don't know what to expect. :eyebrow:

I hope she loves it. I hope they challenge her to see what she can do rather than take her at face value. :pics:

With the crap :rage: we went through last year with school, I have a bit of nerves... we'll see what happens. No matter what, I know we likely won't be here very long anyway...:(

Screenshot_20160824-010253.png

Has that SDN Experts ad always been misspelled??

Insurance is hilarious. My prescription cost a whopping $0.28. At that point why not cover it all :laugh:

I was going out for drinks with my coworkers tonight, but my mom wouldn't let me leave until the cat boxes were clean. :rolleyes: Reasons why I love living at home, exhibit a.

Yeah, it has. I always wondered if maybe it was some pun related to .exe files but somehow I doubt that.
Yup. At least since I started using SDN.
Lol, clearly I'm not observant. I always just scroll right past the ads, but for some reason it caught my eye the other night and I thought "wait, something's not right..."

Sorry if this type of question is not allowed!

Has anyone used an online compounding pharmacy for their pet Rx? My kitty needs Budesonide indefinitely. We have a compounding pharm in town but I'm looking for alternatives to see how pricing compares. Thanks :cat:

Has anyone used an online compounding pharmacy for their pet Rx? My kitty needs Budesonide indefinitely. We have a compounding pharm in town but I'm looking for alternatives to see how pricing compares. Thanks :cat:
yes. Make sure to use a reputable one

Have used stokes a lot with success