Random Words/Terms Review of First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as most of us are approaching to their dedicated study period for step 1, I thought I would start a thread to boost our memorization of First Aid. I am not one of those smart folks with good retention and I need some repetition and time to memorize. So if you guys happen to find some unfamiliar words/terms that strike you, just put those words in this thread and someone can add some explanation. How does this sound? So I will start. (Let's stick to First Aid .)

Cabergoline?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. path associated with "apple core lesion on barium enema x-ray?"
Gastric cancer?
2. what hormone stimulates pancreatic bicrabs?

3. what hormone stimulates pancreatic secretion?
It's S cells from the duodenum, that release secretin in an acidic environment, targeting the pancreas to release bicarb. I've gotten multiple World questions and NBME questions wrong just because I did not understand that one line, so it's important.

1. 4 causes for inc indirect hyperbilirubinemia?

2. paths associated with inc mixed hyperbilirubinemia?

3. pathologies associated with "primary biliary cirrhosis?"

4. path associated with "granulomas and destruction of intralobular bile ducts?"

5. path associated with "young men with IBD?"

6. two mediators that stimulates fibrosis?

7. what is the term for "coarse hand tremor" seen in live cirrhosis pts?

8. what indicates "low transmissibility" in Hep B?

9. what indicates ""high transmissibility" in Hep B?

10. bug associated with "liver abscess?"

Gastric cancer?

It's S cells from the duodenum, that release secretin in an acidic environment, targeting the pancreas to release bicarb. I've gotten multiple World questions and NBME questions wrong just because I did not understand that one line, so it's important.
1. colorectal cancer --> apple core lesion on barium enema

Members don't see this ad :)
1. path associated with depression, necrolytic migratory erythema, hyperglycemia, DVT?

2. what is the confirmatory test to diagnose Zollinger-Ellison syndrome?

3. the most common type of tracheoesophageal fistula?

4. path associated with cyanosis secondary to laryngospasm?

5. what path is associated with "hourglass stomach?"

6. path associated with chondromyxoid stroma and epithelium in parotid gland?

7. path associated with "benign cystic tumor" with germinal centers?

8. what is the most common type of chronic gastritis?

9. what vit def leads to "liver enlargement" and "pseudotumor cerebri?"

10. what enzyme is deficient in Fabry dz?

1. what path is associated with damage to stereociliated cells in organ of Corti?

2. structures that can be damaged during the thyroidectomy?

3. what cells produce inhibin?

4. what hormone is suppressed by inhibin?

5. what failures lead to cleft palate?

6. what failures lead to cleft lip?

7. path associated with brain stem or cerebellar lesion leading to immediate nystagmus (by positional testing) with focal neurologic findings

8. path associated with delayed horizontal nystagmus by positional testing

9. path associated with dizziness, semicircular canal debris, and vestibular nerve infection

10. what is fetal hydantoin syndrome?

Last edited:
1. what is the EPO level in polycythemia vera?

2. paths associated with "dry tap" of bone marrow?

3. two paths associated with diethylstillbestrol?

4. drug associated with "fetal hydantoin syndrome?"

5. path associated with young girls, spindle shaped cells and positive desmin?

6. path associated with primary amenorrhea due to a lack of uterine development in females with fully developed secondary sexual characteristics with functional ovaries?

7. path associated with "dyschezia?"

8. path associated with "hyperplasia of basal layer of endometrium" associated with dysmenorrhea adn univormly enlarged soft globular uterus?

9. paths associated with female infertility?

10. female path that can result in "miscarriage?"

1. neoplasia associated with PTEN?

2. 4 risk factors for "endometrial hyperplasias?"

3. path associated with appendiceal tumor and pseudomyxoma peritonei?

4. DOC for acute mastitis?

5. paths associated with clear cells/halos?

6. path associated with ectopic endometrial tissue within ovary with cyst formation?

7. what is Cushing dz?

8. what test can be done to confirm adrenal insufficiency?

9. path associated with "Hurthle cells and lymphoid aggregate with germinal centers?"

10. path assocaited with fixed, hard, painless goiter with "IgG4 related systemic dz?"

Last edited:
1. 3 treatments for thyroid storm?

2. path associated with thyrotoxicosis with iodine def goiter

3. path associated with "focal patches of hyperfunctioning follicular cells?"

4. Are hot nodules usually malignant?

5. path associated with RET, BRAF mutations and childhood irradiation?

6. tumor of the parafollicular C cells?

7. disorder associated with hypocalcemia, shortened 4th/5th digits, hypocalcemia, high PTH?

8. path associated with cystic brown spaces filled with brown fibrous tissue due to hemorrhage?

9. two DOC for prolactinoma?

10. growth hormone receptor antagonist used for acromegaly?

1. what drug can lead to "hypoplastic nails and distal phalanges?"

2. path associated with depression, DVT, diabets, and dermatitis (migratory erythema)?

3. three causes of niacin (B3) def?

4. name of the drug that inhibits 17 alpha dyroxylase and 17, 20 desmolase?

5. competitive blocker at androgen receptor?

6. location for benign prostatic hyperplasia?

7. location for prostatic adenocarcinoma?

8. most common cause for prostatitis?

9. two hormones that are stimulated by TRH?

10. the diff btw hypothyroidism and hyperthyrodism in terms of "myxedem?"

1. path associated with "proptosis" during stress such as child birht?

2. germ cell tumor associated with functional thyroid tissue with hyperthyroidism?

3. symptoms of mature cystic teratoma (dermoid cyst)?

4. path associated with inc. freq of bilateral/multiple thecia-lutein cyts?

5. path associated with antimicrosomal antibody and HLA DR5?

6. treatment for de Quervain (subacute thyroiditis)?

7. causes for hypoparathyroidism?

8. what is the major cause for hyperparathyroidism?

9. 3 tumors that can give rise to hyperparathyrodism?

10. paths associated with low Mg2+?

1. location of ghrelin synthesis?

2. location of leptin synthesis?

3. treatment for nephrogenic DI?

4. path associated with "autoimmune polyglandular syndrome?"

5. paths associated with pheochromocytoma?

6. MEN associated with medullary thyroid carcinoma

7. four complications of DKA?

8. which type of diabetes is assocaited with MHC class 2?

9. name 3 2nd generation suflonylurea drugs?

10. which drug reduces the postprandial hyperglycemia?

1. name of the drug that sensitizes Ca2+ sensing receptor

2. type of bone formed without cartilage?

3. path associated with "perimysial inflammation?"

4. myosin dephosphorylation leads to muscle relaxation or contraction?

5. name of the enzyme that phosphorylates myosin?

6. what is the term that is equivalent to "1 - false neg rate?"

7. what is the name of glycoprotein that forms a sheath around elastin?

8. where can elastin be found in our body?

9. path associated with autosomal dominant with full penetrance?

10. path associated with loss of trabecular (spongy) bone and interaction with normal bone mineralization?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. name of the drug that sensitizes Ca2+ sensing receptor

2. type of bone formed without cartilage?

3. path associated with "perimysial inflammation?"

4. myosin dephosphorylation leads to muscle relaxation or contraction?

5. name of the enzyme that phosphorylates myosin?

6. what is the term that is equivalent to "1 - false neg rate?"

7. what is the name of glycoprotein that forms a sheath around elastin?

8. where can elastin be found in our body?

10. path associated with loss of trabecular (spongy) bone and interaction with normal bone mineralization?

2interosseous
3 dermatomyositis
4 contraction
6 power
10 osteoporosis

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Autosomal dominant is any structural problem; penetrance means for that patient to has the complete version of the structural problem (best World Q is a picture of neurofibromatosis)

2. location of leptin synthesis?
I don't know the location, but leptin is the marker for satiety (World Q - graph). The matching NBME question just wants to know what leptin is.

9. name 3 2nd generation suflonylurea drugs?
Glypizide (spelling?). Will cause an increase in c-peptide (World Q), in addition to insulomas.

10. which drug reduces the postprandial hyperglycemia?
Lispro (World Q), Aspart. Short acting drugs: acronym is "Lance Armstrong"

1. what drug can lead to "hypoplastic nails and distal phalanges?"
Valproic Acid?

8. most common cause for prostatitis?
In order: E.coli, proteus, klebsella, pseudomonas

10. the diff btw hypothyroidism and hyperthyrodism in terms of "myxedem?"
Myxedema is present in hyperthyrodism? (something basic i know)

Prolactinoma inhibits dopamine (normal physio is dopamine inhibits prolactin). So you would go with bromocriptine (the more researched one) or cabergoline.

4. DOC for acute mastitis?
It use to be a drug, currently it is ice pack? Or is this for something else?

2. paths associated with "dry tap" of bone marrow?
Aplastic anemia, Parovirus B19 (DNA virus, non enveloped, single stranded)

3. two paths associated with diethylstillbestrol?
Clear cell carcinoma (World Q - Classic!), don't know a second

4. drug associated with "fetal hydantoin syndrome?"
Valproic acid?

6. path associated with primary amenorrhea due to a lack of uterine development in females with fully developed secondary sexual characteristics with functional ovaries?
Mullerian agenesis, Androgen insensitivity syndrome?

10. female path that can result in "miscarriage?"
Anti-cardiolipin syndrome (World Q - something excessive, like 7 miscarriages)

1. what path is associated with damage to stereociliated cells in organ of Corti?
Loud noise? Hits the most proximal portion of the organ of corti

3. what cells produce inhibin?
Sertoli cells - produces Mullerian inhibiting factor ("Murder your inner female"), allows the male to grow

6. what failures lead to cleft lip?
Problem with intermaxillary segment

9. what vit def leads to "liver enlargement" and "pseudotumor cerebri?"
Vitamin A excess. Also used for treatment/maturation of measles (World Q), deficiency causes night blindness

10. what enzyme is deficient in Fabry dz?
Alpha galactosidase deficiency (World Q), causes renal failure (World Q)

Last edited:
1. path associated with dec production of type 1 collagen?

2. path associated with dental imperfections due to lack of dentin?

3. path associated with failure of normal bone resorption due to defective osteoclast?

4. path associated with bone filling marrow space and leading to pancytopenia and extramedullary hematopoiesis?

5. path associated with long bone chalk stick fractures with inc blood flow from inc arteriovenous shunts?

6. what tumor can you get with paget dz of bone?

7. causes for osteonecrosis?

8. what insufficiency leads to osteonecrosis?

9. path common in women 50 yr older associated with pain/stiffness in shoulders/hips often with fever

10. path associated with "anaplastic small blue cell malignant tumor?"

2interosseous
3 dermatomyositis
4 contraction
6 power
10 osteoporosis

2. woven bone (is interosseious the same as woven bone?)
4. so dephosphorylation leads to relaxation
6. sensitivity

6. sensitivity

So woven works too I wasn't thinking that way but that is a better answer I think.
4 interesting I need to review smooth muscle physio!
6 hmm I'll have to write that out I suppose I misread the original post I thought you were getting at probability of a false negative or falsely accepting a null hypothesis (type II error) so 1-beta is power.

*ah I reread it tricky so you were saying the probability of a false negative test (c/a+c if you will) which is the inverse of the probability of a true positive (sensitivity) thus 1-that is the sensitivity, I hadn't thought about it in those terms, nice!

Autosomal dominant is any structural problem; penetrance means for that patient to has the complete version of the structural problem (best World Q is a picture of neurofibromatosis)
--> good job! NF1 is def one of the answers, also don't foregt achondroplasia

I don't know the location, but leptin is the marker for satiety (World Q - graph). The matching NBME question just wants to know what leptin is.
--> leptin is from ventromedial area of thalamus (Ghrelin from lateral, so if you damage lateral thalamus and lose ghrelin, you get zipped laterally!)

Glypizide (spelling?). Will cause an increase in c-peptide (World Q), in addition to insulomas.
--> glimepiride, glipizide, glyburide

Lispro (World Q), Aspart. Short acting drugs: acronym is "Lance Armstrong"
--> lispro will do that but also keep in mind alpha glucosidase inhibitors which block the intestinal brush border alpha glucosidases are specifically used to decrease postprandial hyperglycemia. FA lists two alpha glucosidase inhibitors, they are acarbose, miglitol.

Valproic Acid?
--> this is phenytoin so called "fetal hydantoin syndrome manifested by cleft palate, cardiac defects, phalanx/fingernail hypoplaisa."

In order: E.coli, proteus, klebsella, pseudomonas
--> so in case of acute, it's bacteira, but in chroni abacterial is mst common.

Myxedema is present in hyperthyrodism? (something basic i know)
--> it's actually present in both hyper and hypo. in hyperthyroidism it's pretibial myxedema.

Prolactinoma inhibits dopamine (normal physio is dopamine inhibits prolactin). So you would go with bromocriptine (the more researched one) or cabergoline.

It use to be a drug, currently it is ice pack? Or is this for something else?
--> so DOC for lactational mastitis is dicloxacillin

Aplastic anemia, Parovirus B19 (DNA virus, non enveloped, single stranded)
--> good job, also don't forget hairy cell leukemia, myelofibrosis

Clear cell carcinoma (World Q - Classic!), don't know a second
--> congenital Mullerian anomalis

Valproic acid?
--> phenytoin

Mullerian agenesis, Androgen insensitivity syndrome?---> good job, it's Mullerian agenesis, androgen insensitivity syndrome pts don't have functional ovaries!

Anti-cardiolipin syndrome (World Q - something excessive, like 7 miscarriages)
--> yes, antiphosopholipid can certainly do that also don't forget leiomyoma (fibroid)

Loud noise? Hits the most proximal portion of the organ of corti

Sertoli cells - produces Mullerian inhibiting factor ("Murder your inner female"), allows the male to grow

Problem with intermaxillary segment

Vitamin A excess. Also used for treatment/maturation of measles (World Q), deficiency causes night blindness

Alpha galactosidase deficiency (World Q), causes renal failure (World Q)

--> leptin is from ventromedial area of thalamus (Ghrelin from lateral, so if you damage lateral thalamus and lose ghrelin, you get zipped laterally!)

Thanks for the write up with explanations! Appreciate it. I'll further write out what I know about leptin.

In anorexia nervosa, you have a lesion in the the lateral portion of the hypothalamus, so you will have a problem with hunger. In prader willi, you have a lesion with the (ventro - didn't know this) medial portion of the hypothalamus, so you have a problem with satiety.

For treatment of anorexia nervosa, you give SSRI's. 80% of the time time they work on the medial thalamus, which isn't helpful, but 20% of the time it heals the lesion on the lateral thalamus, activating the hunger center and allowing the patient to eat to increase her BMI from 18.5 in an upward direction. 20% is better than 0%, before SSRI's they had no treatment for anorexia nervosa.

For lateral thalamus, the normal physio is normal amount of ghrelin (which I didn't know about). In anorexia nervosa, there is a lesion, so the amount ghrelin will go down, and there is a problem with hunger. For the ventromedial thalamus, normal physio is normal amount of leptin (World Q), so if there is a lesion, there is a decreased amount of leptin and a problem with satiety.

Hey guys just wanted to point out a couple things quick. Leptin may be made some in the hypothalamus but it is primarily made in the adipose cells and is thus a regulator of satiety. In obesity you have high levels of leptin. The hypothalamus however is resistant to the higher levels and you get problems with satiety.

Ghrelin is made in the GI tract and acts on the hypothalamus. So when the stomach is empty it is released and when it is full release is altered. Interestingly it also interacts with the VTA and nucleus accumbens and helps modulate reward perception of food (pretty neat). There was a poster at society for neuroscience conference a couple years back on a project where they were manipulating ghrelin release in the gut since there are specific cells that release it if I remember right they were using a knockdown drug and the efficacy in weight loss was good enough that they were working on advancing to human trials, pretty neat.

Reactions: 1 users
1. path associated with angiokeratomas and cardiovascular/renal dz?

2. benign tumor with cholesterol crystals and calcifications?

3. path associated with failure of 1st arch neural crest migration leading to mandibular hypoplasia and facial abnormalities?

4. path associated with fistula btw tonsillar area and lateral neck?

5. what are the multiple endocrine neoplasias that are associated with RET gene?

6. path associated with germline RET mutation that has adrenal medulla, parathryoid tumor, and parafollicular cells malignancy?

7 paths associated with failure of neural crest cell migration?

8. which part of adrenal is derived from neural crest?

9. marker for detecting neural crest origin tumors?

10. Name 4 malignancies associated with neural crest origin?

As for the bit on anorexia and the lateral hypothalamus that isn't right for really the vast majority of cases. There is no distinct lesion in all but probably a few very specific cases. Most neurobiological thinking in the field is thinking it has to do with very complex interactions between pathways mediating self perception and probably dopamine pathways mediating reward and anticipation for food. Like they have done studies showing that not just their perception of their own bodies is messed up but there is frank abnormalities in other spacialvisual processing as well, pretty wild. There is also a pretty strong genetic and possibly genetic abnormality as well. Bottom line, if it helps you to remember stuff it's totally fine but for outside of tests know that the neurobiology of anorexia is very complex and not fully understood.

As a side note the serotonin system is also thought to be dysregulated in anorexia thus giving plausibility to the SSRI usage.

Last edited:
Bottom line, if it helps you to remember stuff it's totally fine but for outside of tests
Yeah, for lesion of the lateral hypothalamus and anorexia, I am just talking about getting a point on the question, not really the theory of it.

1. path associated with angiokeratomas and cardiovascular/renal dz?

2. benign tumor with cholesterol crystals and calcifications?

3. path associated with failure of 1st arch neural crest migration leading to mandibular hypoplasia and facial abnormalities?

4. path associated with fistula btw tonsillar area and lateral neck?

5. what are the multiple endocrine neoplasias that are associated with RET gene?

6. path associated with germline RET mutation that has adrenal medulla, parathryoid tumor, and parafollicular cells malignancy?

7 paths associated with failure of neural crest cell migration?

8. which part of adrenal is derived from neural crest?

9. marker for detecting neural crest origin tumors?

10. Name 4 malignancies associated with neural crest origin?

1. Don't know.

2. Craniopharyngioma

3. Treacher-Collins. I think there's a second one in FA that's similar too.

4. Brachial cleft cyst

5. MEN2A and MEN2B. MEN1 is menin mutations.

6. MEN2A.

7. Hirschsprung disease is the big one. I think atrial septal defect also has this issue?

8. Medulla

9. S100?

10. Melanoma, pheochromocytoma, neuroblastoma, schwannoma/neurofibroma/malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors.

Yeah, for lesion of the lateral hypothalamus and anorexia, I am just talking about getting a point on the question, not really the theory of it.
No worries, just thought I'd throw it out there just in case it comes up :)

1. Don't know.

2. Craniopharyngioma

3. Treacher-Collins. I think there's a second one in FA that's similar too.

4. Brachial cleft cyst

5. MEN2A and MEN2B. MEN1 is menin mutations.

6. MEN2A.

7. Hirschsprung disease is the big one. I think atrial septal defect also has this issue?

8. Medulla

9. S100?

10. Melanoma, pheochromocytoma, neuroblastoma, schwannoma/neurofibroma/malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors.
1. Fabry dz (def in alpha galactosidase A)
7. yes, definitely. also don't forget albinism!

1. drugs that can cause significant weight gain?

2. 4 drugs that can cause seizure?

3. path associated with "bone-in-bone" appearance?

4. drugs that inhibit the ADP-induced GpIIb/IIIa expression?

5. drugs that inhibit GpIIb/IIIa directly?

6. beta blocker that is partial agonist?

7. beta blocker that helps synthesize NO?

8. drug that blocks both 5HT2 and alpha 1?

9. path associated with defective Gs protein alpha subunit causing end organ resistance to PTH

10. path associated with protruding umbilicus, protuberant tongue, and poor brain development

So woven works too I wasn't thinking that way but that is a better answer I think.
6 hmm I'll have to write that out I suppose I misread the original post I thought you were getting at probability of a false negative or falsely accepting a null hypothesis (type II error) so 1-beta is power.

I just came across this and I was actually meaning to say membranous ossification haha so ya that is an example of woven bone. Hopefully that prevents any confusion.

1. path associated with anal atresia to sirenomelia, congenital heart defects

2. what is "caudal regression syndrome?"

3. path associated with defective mineralization/calcification of osteoid?

4. type of amyloidosis associated with chronic inflammatory conditions?

5. the most common site for osteonecrosis?

6. causes for osteonecrosis?

7. path associated with "aseptic necrosis of femur?"

8. path associated with night time pain, central nidus which takes place in diaphysis

9. path associated with "exostosis of the bone?" (exostosis = benign outgrowth of cartilaginous tissue on bone)

10. path associated with "osteoclastoma and soap bubble appearance on x-ray?"

1. path associated with anal atresia to sirenomelia, congenital heart defects

2. what is "caudal regression syndrome?"

3. path associated with defective mineralization/calcification of osteoid?

4. type of amyloidosis associated with chronic inflammatory conditions?

5. the most common site for osteonecrosis?

6. causes for osteonecrosis?

7. path associated with "aseptic necrosis of femur?"

8. path associated with night time pain, central nidus which takes place in diaphysis

9. path associated with "exostosis of the bone?" (exostosis = benign outgrowth of cartilaginous tissue on bone)

10. path associated with "osteoclastoma and soap bubble appearance on x-ray?"

3 osteomalacia
4 deposition of AA. (From SAA protein which is an acute phase reactant. Usually systemic
5 head of the femur, possibly the humerus too
6loss of the medial circumflex artery (for femur)
8 osteoid osteoma
9endochondroma (sp?)
10 giant cell tumor

3 osteomalacia
4 deposition of AA. (From SAA protein which is an acute phase reactant. Usually systemic
5 head of the femur, possibly the humerus too
6loss of the medial circumflex artery (for femur)
8 osteoid osteoma
9endochondroma (sp?)
10 giant cell tumor

9. very close, it's osteochondroma. good job man.

1. 3 treatments for thyroid storm?

2. path associated with thyrotoxicosis with iodine def goiter

3. path associated with "focal patches of hyperfunctioning follicular cells?"

4. Are hot nodules usually malignant?

5. path associated with RET, BRAF mutations and childhood irradiation?

6. tumor of the parafollicular C cells?

7. disorder associated with hypocalcemia, shortened 4th/5th digits, hypocalcemia, high PTH?

8. path associated with cystic brown spaces filled with brown fibrous tissue due to hemorrhage?

1. path associated with treatment of "en bloc resection?"

2. path associated with elevation of periosteum and sunburn patter on x-ray?

3. what type of MHC class is rheumatoid arthritis associated with?

4. beta 2 microglobulin is associated with what typr of MHC class?

5. what path is associated with beta 2 microglobulin?

6. path associated with "bone spur?"

7. path associated with "polished, ivory-like appearance of bone?"

8. four clinical applications of TNF alpha inhibitor (infliximab, adalimumab)?

9. path associated with "Colles fracture (distal radius fracture)?"

10. what type of crystal is associated with "rhomboid crystal?"

I am guessing on a lot of these, lets see how many I hit:

Osteosarcoma, don't remember specific type.

I just know it's used for rheumotid arthritis, methotrexate for 3 months, and then TNF alpha inhibitor. There is a leukemia used with this, CML?
Quick points: mab -> monoclonal antibody. TNF "tumor necrosis factor" is the same as cachexin -> causes you to lose weight fast

Avascular necrosis (World Q)

It's not negative bifringent.., it's not your traditional gout. So I am guessing calcium pyrophosphate (+ bifringent crystals)

Dopamine is being inhibited, allow prolactin to be activated. We need dopamine agonists..so bromocriptine and cabergoline.

Something that inhibits IGF-1 release from the liver (World Q). Octerotide comes to mind.

1. path associated with treatment of "en bloc resection?"

3. what type of MHC class is rheumatoid arthritis associated with?

4. beta 2 microglobulin is associated with what typr of MHC class?

5. what path is associated with beta 2 microglobulin?

6. path associated with "bone spur?"

7. path associated with "polished, ivory-like appearance of bone?"

4: Mhc I
5. It's an Immuno def of sorts can't remember which one :/ seems to come up with MM too idk
6 OA (osteophytes) ?
7 OA
10 yup world beater nailed it pseudo gout calcium pyrophosphate.

1. paths associated with dactylitis (sausage finger)?

2. path associated with "pencil in cup" deformity in x-ray?

3. four paths associated with inc "uric acid?"

4. paths associated with "pseudogout?"

5. antibodies used to diagnose polymyositis/dermatomyositis?

6. dystrophin connects the intracellular cytoskeleton (actin) to the what structure?

7. what is the most common cause of death for Duchenne pts?

8. what dopamine receptor stimulates excitatory path way and what dopamine receptor inhibits the inhibitory pathway thus leads to inc motion?

9. what thalamic nucleus is responsible for pain, temperature, pressure, touch?

10. drugs associated with dec REM sleep and delta wave sleep?

I am guessing on a lot of these, lets see how many I hit:

Osteosarcoma, don't remember specific type.

I just know it's used for rheumotid arthritis, methotrexate for 3 months, and then TNF alpha inhibitor. There is a leukemia used with this, CML?
Quick points: mab -> monoclonal antibody. TNF "tumor necrosis factor" is the same as cachexin -> causes you to lose weight fast
--> TNF alpha inhibitors (adalimumab, infliximab) are also used for IBD, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriasis

Avascular necrosis (World Q)
--> osteoporosis (also with femoral neck fracture)

It's not negative bifringent.., it's not your traditional gout. So I am guessing calcium pyrophosphate (+ bifringent crystals)
--> yes! pseudogout

Dopamine is being inhibited, allow prolactin to be activated. We need dopamine agonists..so bromocriptine and cabergoline.

Something that inhibits IGF-1 release from the liver (World Q). Octerotide comes to mind.
--> pegvisomant

4: Mhc I
5. It's an Immuno def of sorts can't remember which one :/ seems to come up with MM too idk
6 OA (osteophytes) ?--> good job, correct!
7 OA
10 yup world beater nailed it pseudo gout calcium pyrophosphate.

5. anti-Jo-1, anti-SRP, anti Mi 2 antibodies

1. side effects of rosiglitazone?

2. side effects of tolbutamide?

3. what heart murmur is described as "holosystolic high pitched blowing murmur?"

4. what heart murmur is described as "high pitched blowing early diastolic decrescendo murmur?"

5. heart murmur associated with "weak pulses with delayed peak?"

6. two names of thiazide drugs? (bonus point, if you name another thiazide drug not in FA.)

7. name side effects of hydrochlorothiazide.

8. path associated with "cutis aplasia and cleft lip/palate?"

9. path associated with prominent "occiput and clenched hands?"

10. drugs that can lead to AV block (thus, contraindicated to CHF)?

1. path associated "sirenomelia?"

2. path associated with "flipper limbs?"

3. which phase of drug metabolism do old people lose first?

4. what are nicotinic ACh receptors?

5. what are muscarinic ACh receptors?

6. vitamin that is used as a cofactor for "decarboxlation rxn?"

7. what is the treatment for McArdle dz?

8. path that is deficient in lyosomal alpha 1, 4 glucosidase (acid maltase)?

9. what activates LCAT (lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase)?

10. what mediates chylomicron secretion?

1. what is the cofactor for lipoprotein lipase?

2. what path is associated with inc chylomicrons and TG?

3. path associated with "renal angiomyolipoma?"

4. path associated with "Lisch nodule" and "optic glioma?"

5. all the paths stained by PAS?

6. path associated with overriding aorta and frequent viral/fungal infection?

7. what is the term used to describe normal tissue in a foreign location (eg - gastric tissue located in small bowel)

8. what is the term used to describe "disorganized overgrowth of tissue in their native location?" Give one example.

9. which path always involves "proximal colon?"

10. which path always involves "rectum?"

6. sensitivity

Sensitivity can also be thought of as the probability of a positive result for a truly sick person; P( + | Sick). This is actually similar (essentially the same) to statistical Power (1-beta), but the context is different (classification task vs. hypothesis testing). Really, your null would be that the person is healthy. If your test detects sickness when they are actually sick (reject null when null is false), the associated probability is sensitivity/power. The false negative rate (1-sensitivity) is likened to beta, the probability of a Type II error (a truly sick person is classified as healthy, failing to reject a false null). Type I error rate is akin to the false positive rate (calling a truly healthy person sick, rejecting a true null).

Definitely a relationship to consider (and link to your other concepts), but I would account for the context in a given question (during an exam). Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see both power and sensitivity as answer choices (if they were that straight forward), though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sensitivity can also be thought of as the probability of a positive result for a truly sick person; P( + | Sick). This is actually similar (essentially the same) statistical Power (1-beta), but the context is different (classification task vs. hypothesis testing). Really, your null would be that the person is healthy. If your test detects sickness when they are actually sick (reject null when null is false), the associated probability is sensitivity/power. The false negative rate (1-sensitivity) is likened to beta, the probability of a Type II error (a truly sick person is classified as healthy, failing to reject a false null). Type I error rate is akin to the false positive rate (calling a truly healthy person sick, rejecting a true null).

Definitely a relationship to consider (and link to your other concepts), but I would account for the context in a given question (during an exam). Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see both power and sensitivity as answer choices (if they were that straight forward), though.

Good points, thanks! Also, do you have a bio stats/stats background? You're always killing it with these biostat concepts!

Good points, thanks! Also, do you have a bio stats/stats background? You're always killing it with these biostat concepts!

More of a stats background than biostats, but then again, biostats is the application of statistics in a particular discipline :). It's also helpful when I see a new biostats method that I can relate to a general stats method I already know. I can't say I don't benefit from other posters on here, so I'm glad some of what I say is useful.

1. complications of free wall rupture in MI?

2. main cause for the free wall rupture in MI?

3. what heart murmur is loudest at apex and radiates toward axilla?

4. causes of mitral regurge?

5. four paths associated with "myxomatous degeneration?"

6. name all the holosystolic murmurs?

7. name all the systolic murmurs?

8. name all the diastolic murmurs?

9. heart murmurs associated with "bicuspid aortic valve?"

10. paths associated with bicuspid aortic valve?

1. what heart murmurs are associated with rheumatic fever?

2. what heart murmur is associated with delayed rumbling late diastolic murmur?

3. path associated with replacement of thyroid replaced by "fibrous tissue (hypothyroid)"

4. path associated with deficiency of alpha 1,6 glucosidase (debranching enzyme)?

5. in hunter syndrome what enzyme is missing?

6. path associated with anti-U1 RNP (ribonucleoprotein)?

7. path associated with swelling and inflammation following tetanus vaccine?

8. DOC for atropine OD?

9. DOC for preoperative use to reduce airway secretion?

10. what path is associated with acute onset burning sensation of the mouth?

1. path associated with "temperature related dysesthesia (cold feels hot, hot feels cold)?"

2. drug that causes inc appetite, inc cholesterol, and sedation?

3. drug used for hypertensive urgency and also for ADHD and Tourette syndrome?

4. three drugs that cause "gingival hyperplasia?"

5. drugs that lower seizure threshold?

6. paths associated with inc pulse pressure?

7. paths associated with dec pulse pressure?

8. path associated with fixed splitting?

9. path associated with wide splitting of S2?

10. path associated with paradoxical splitting?

1. what heart murmurs are associated with rheumatic fever?

2. what heart murmur is associated with delayed rumbling late diastolic murmur?

3. path associated with replacement of thyroid replaced by "fibrous tissue (hypothyroid)"

4. path associated with deficiency of alpha 1,6 glucosidase (debranching enzyme)?

5. in hunter syndrome what enzyme is missing?

6. path associated with anti-U1 RNP (ribonucleoprotein)?

7. path associated with swelling and inflammation following tetanus vaccine?

8. DOC for atropine OD?

9. DOC for preoperative use to reduce airway secretion?

10. what path is associated with acute onset burning sensation of the mouth?

1: mitral valve stuff (stenosis, maybe regurg?) and aortic stenosis
6 mixed connective tissue syndrome