ranges of COMLEX scores for specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen data that shows range of COMLEX Step I scores for perticular specialties?

e.g.
Medicine
OB/GYN
Ortho
Rads
Anesthesia

Members don't see this ad.

All the data I've seen has shown that the COMLEX scores for those specialties will typically between 400 and 800.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone seen data that shows range of COMLEX Step I scores for perticular specialties?

e.g.
Medicine
OB/GYN
Ortho
Rads
Anesthesia

The following are averages that I basically pulled from my experiences with friends and peers.

Medicine-- ~500 (wide range since some just want IM and some are shooting for cardio, GI, etc.)
OB/GYN-- ~550 (there are tons of baby catching spots plus tons of combined spots that never go matched)
Ortho-- ~700 (Probably second to neurosx with regards to competitiveness)
Rads-- ~650 (Many are catching onto the fact that DO board cert. in rads can really close many doors).
Anesthesia-- ~600 (Good number of spots; not as competitive since MANY ACGME programs take many DO's)

The following are averages that I basically pulled from my experiences with friends and peers.

Medicine-- ~500 (wide range since some just want IM and some are shooting for cardio, GI, etc.)
OB/GYN-- ~550 (there are tons of baby catching spots plus tons of combined spots that never go matched)
Rads-- ~650 (Many are catching onto the fact that DO board cert. in rads can really close many doors).
Anesthesia-- ~600 (Good number of spots; not as competitive since MANY ACGME programs take many DO's)

Could you please elaborate on what doors are closed if one does a DO cert. in Rads. I had no idea ....

Hey, just wondering if you could elaborate on this a little bit?

Those seem way too high, no way 700 average for Ortho and 650 for Rads. >600 should get you in 95% of any DO residencies.

All scores are way too high. IM will take anyone with a pulse, almost the same with OB. Ortho and gas they would probably prefer above 550 but as with all osteopathic residencies its more of a personality contest to get a spot than anything. I know people with failures who got the DO gas, IM, and OB programs they wanted.

Agreed with above posters - these are too high. Keep in mind that a ~678 is approximately 99th percentile according to the NBOME. (makes sense with a 500 avg and 80 std dev). There's no way that ortho and neurosurgery have averages or standards anywhere near 700. That's like saying a comparative allopathic residency like plastics and derm (the most competitive) require a USMLE of 270.

I've heard that anything above 550 or 600 is high enough to at least get interviews in most (if not all) competitive specialties. a 600 is ~90th percentile, and so it wouldn't make sense for a PD to close the door on an applicant who is obviously nowhere near dumb.

All scores are way too high. IM will take anyone with a pulse, almost the same with OB. Ortho and gas they would probably prefer above 550 but as with all osteopathic residencies its more of a personality contest to get a spot than anything. I know people with failures who got the DO gas, IM, and OB programs they wanted.
Agreed. Most PDs I've talked to are most interested in getting to know you through an audition.

In talking to grads who went into residencies, these numbers are much more accurate to the descriptions I received.

Those seem way too high, no way 700 average for Ortho and 650 for Rads. >600 should get you in 95% of any DO residencies.

At least one D.O. ortho program requires 650 or have rotated in thier program to get an interview. No exceptions. The program has only matched with one resident below 700 in last three years.

> 600 should get you a Radio interview.

500+ and a good personality should be able to land you some DO anesthesia interviews. There aren't many spots. The key is to rotate and work really hard.

MD anesthesia... You want closer to 600 if you don't take the USMLE. USMLE scores really do go a long way. Many programs will throw your application out with just a COMLEX below 600.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most allo gas programs won't be familiar enough with the Comlex to really use it. You need to take the USMLE if allo gas is your goal.

What do you guys think about optho?

So you're saying you need a 97% on the COMLEX for Rads, 99% for Ortho, 90% for anesthesio? Uhmmm, way too high imo.

More like this ...

Medicine: 450+
OBGYN: 500+
Ortho: 600+
Rads: 600+
Anesthesia: 500-550+ ... and NOT a good # of spots.

what about step 2? if your step 1 isnt so hot, can a solid step 2 make up for it?

I would love to hear some opinions about this as well. Also, can a solid step 2 and overall application make-up for a lower step 1?

I know of a recent grad that had below avg step 1 scores with >90% step 2 scores that got DO ortho. So yes, it can make up. But remember, it's more than just board scores.

I know of a recent grad that had below avg step 1 scores with >90% step 2 scores that got DO ortho. So yes, it can make up. But remember, it's more than just board scores.

I doubt it was his step 2 score that mattered in this case.

In michigan, I know of numerous ppl who matched ortho. They had a 588, 560s, 574, 545 and 615, 601. So you can really do it with any score. Note that these ppl were the guys who lived in the ortho OR on the weekends and anytime they had free days.

Rads was pretty much the same distribution of scores, only a little higher on average.

Derm >600

ophthalmology >600

Does anyone know what the average is for DO neurology? There aren't many programs and such information is hard to come by!

Does anyone know what the average is for DO neurology? There aren't many programs and such information is hard to come by!

I have no clue. However if you don't get responses on here you can usually email previous students from your school and find out. Also the faculty who work with the neuro club may have some idea. If all else fails I feel like PD's are straight forward if you ask.

To misparas,
I m interested in Anesthesiology and took both USMLE and COMLEX. However, my COMLEX was no where near 600 but USMLE was decent. What chances do I have at MD Anesthesia or even DO anesthesia.

Big name Do programs in ER, Neurology, IM, OBGYN, Anes - Prefer 500-550+ and you wont get interviewed without a rotation, but will take rotators sometimes with slightly less that those scores mentioned above who did well and made the right impressions.
IM programs which have cardio/GI fellowships have a greater influx of those with above avg boards in general.

IM, FP, OBGYN, Psych, Peds - basically take ~430+ passing scores and a rotation. Usually will even interview you without a rotation since many spots never fill in FP and IM in some DO residencies.

MD anything- variable. Most places want a USMLE score to compare with to other applicants. If you are applying primary care allopathic, a 215+ usmle score is preferred and anything above that makes you more competitive obviously for univ > community programs which sometimes take lower scores.

At least, thats the information in the grapevine.;)

Last edited:
A competitive usmle score will land you md anesthesia interviews.

As a DO student you should try to match or beat this to set yourself apart from other applicants, since some PD's still can stigmatize ( yes it still does happen)

Last edited:
DO Ortho - Pretty variable, some programs like PCOM KCOM notorious for not allowing you to rotate as a student unless you have min 85- 90% (~600) or so, Other programs you can match with slightly lower than that ( say 570+), but this is rare and you will be spending your entire 4th year on call doing sub-i's to make sure you win over the PD.

You are either completely making this up or are just misinformed. I know multiple students that have rotated through the PCOM ortho program with scores much lower than that. I have never even heard of a student "not being allowed to rotate" there.

Agreed. Met several ortho "gunners" with COMLEX < 550, and quite a few under 500 even ... lol.

I dont know how it is for the ENT/Ophthalmology peeps ... met one going ENT, seemed smart but dunno the score range.

You are either completely making this up or are just misinformed. I know multiple students that have rotated through the PCOM ortho program with scores much lower than that. I have never even heard of a student "not being allowed to rotate" there.

Well, maybe I should elaborate. The secretaries for some of the programs/ program directors will flat out ask you your board score when you apply for a rotation. Programs like des peres, columbus, st vincent, genesys definitely do, and I was told that PCOM programs do as well. That doesnt mean that they 'wont' allow' you to rotate, I shouldn't have phrased that like that, sorry for that. But, when you have over 80 rotating students sometimes at some of these programs will start becoming more choosy as the season progresses in allowing students to rotate/set up aways.

You do the math. 50-80 students rotating there, how well will they remember you? if you arent rolling in with an insane track record in ortho or a 580 or something along those lines which makes you competitive, chances are pretty slim, since those residency slots are considered to be competitive in DO world.

This information given to me by current residents of some of these programs as well as a relative in one of these programs.

I just got my COMLEX 2 scores back and got close to 650... so I might still have a shot at Ortho :wow: Best advice I've received is apply everywhere!

Hey guys! I was just wondering, what does PD mean? is that the attending physician? Another thing that i wanted to know was, is I am interested in optho and have read from some of you that u should rotate where u want to match. Do u mean the 3rd year rotations, 4th year rotations, or both? I ask b/c i live about 2 hrs away from where i want to match for optho and I don't know if the time and money invested in traveling all that distance for 2 yrs will really give me an advantage. What do u guys think?? I appreciate all of your advices!!!!:rolleyes:

Is there a source that ranks osteopathic residency programs and their specialties?

For anyone that is actually curious about the specialties and comlex I, I found this (taken from 2012): Hope this helps.

Attachments

• comlex-level1.png
    comlex-level1.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 271