Rank 1 year masters postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide which one to go for....

My first choice would be g'town, they are quite competitive. Few other ones I am thinking about are Colorado U - Plan B (hehe) , tualne masters in cell , tualne masters in pharmacology, boston uni (freakin expensive 45 k !!! ) , drexel msp (looks very solid), barry ( dont know much about it, any input is appreciated), UMDNJ (heard mixed feelings about it)...HOW WOULD YOU RANK THEM??....also if you know of any other programs you can finish in 12 months let me know ...

Members don't see this ad.

anyone.....:D

Georgetown. :clap: Nobody's perfect, but this will get the job done if you really just want to go to med school. I was in the class of '03, so far I got into NYCOM, am waitlisted at Albany, and have two more MD interviews, despite a sub 3.0 ugrad SGPA. These programs are best for people who have good MCATs but subpar GPAs, not the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bruin,

since I am taking my mcats this april would applying to g'twon after I get the scores put me in a disadvantage? in other words is it too late ? I am quite sure I will do good on the MCAT and be a viable candidate but as of now with my low undergrad gpa I dont think they would consider me ( even though I am finshing my MPH with a 3.6 -3.7 gpa this may). What do u think?

As far as I know, you can submit your materials and let them know that you are taking the April test, and they will wait for your MCAT score. They require a cumulative ugrad gpa of at least 3.0, but I think they will make exceptions occasionally. eg, I had a 3.01 cgpa, ~2.8 sgpa with MCATs over 30. Once my second semester senior year grades pushed my cgpa over 3.0, they accepted me (they actually waited for those transcripts before making a decision). Basically, they're looking for students who can perform in med school, but whose ugrad grades will keep them from being accepted (because med schools will consider them as high risk for flunking out). PM if you want more details.

bruinrab I PM'ed you

It will probably depend on your background nad interest, but the Biomedical Engineering Master's Program at the University of Florida is doable in 12 months. There are alos both thesis and non-thesis option to the degrees. The program is well run and there is a large about of clinical exposure in the curriculum.

Tulane Tulane Tulane

elaborate bit more

I did mine at University of Miami....and have several classmates that did theirs at Barry. The Barry program is hardcore...and you will work your ass off....they said they had to study more for Barry then for med school.
It gave them a bit of a head start...but there is the burn out factor too...
I think Georgetown is probably the best bang for the buck...as I know quite a few people who successfully went that route.

I couldn't resist South Beach and the Keys....so I went to Miami..

Best of luck!!!

If I may ask, where is Barry?

Is the MS Biomedical Engr program, at Univ of Miami, taught
in conjunction w/ the med school?

Thanks for the info