Rank Fellowships For BMT Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guywithquestion123412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would people rank the following (putting into 3 tiers may be most appropriate?) for Hem/Onc fellowship for a trainee planning to go into BMT? Edit as appropriate.

Top tier:
Hopkins, Sloan, Washington University in St. Louis, Stanford, UCSF, Hutch, UPENN, Duke, MD Anderson, Farber

Second Tier:
Michigan, Moffitt, Yale, UCLA, Minnesota, Ohio State

Third Tier:
U of Chicago, Emory, Beth Israel, U of Pitt, Vandy. UCSD

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I've been to MD Anderson and I can say they are very good in everything, specially BMT.
Also, in BMT, U Minnesota is not second tier. It's is top tier, among sloan and mda.

I don't know if you're going off from the US News and World Report but the programs you named in second tier are all excellent and I don't know how to exactly separate that from first tier programs. UoM and Ohio State have some pretty impressive names and numbers and track records.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need to go to a "top-tier" fellowship program to end up in a "top-tier" BMT fellowship. believe or not, BMT is not all that competitive even at top places.

I sincerely advise you not to rank your fellowship choices based on their BMT strength because, statistically speaking, there's >90% chance that you're gonna change your mind about going to BMT after 1 year into fellowship. We've seen that happen over and over and over again.

Also, this ranking of programs into 3 tiers ... please ... just don't

I'm not looking for a ranked list, but is there a place to go for a general grouping of top tier heme/onc programs (and maybe one for solid vs liquid)

you only have a handful of reasonable options. in no particular order, the following should be your consideration:

MSKCC, MDACC, Stanford, Dana Farber, Hutch, and may be Minnesota (I dont think they offer a formal adult fellowship).

BMT is an easy fellowship to get into and eventually it won't matter if you went to the 'best' place. first decide whether you want to pursue BMT life long. if you do, is it worth spending an extra year for fellowship or can you learn on the go. once you have determined that you would want to pursue a BMT fellowship, look for the most suitable place for your family.