Rank list help. Where does VM fit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a good feel for VM, I'm just a bit concerned since its a community hospital and it's not very well known compared to some other top programs. How do you guys think reputation/training wise VM compares to these institutions? (cornell, sinai, penn state, yale, upmc, dartmouth)

Members don't see this ad.

It should be #1, obviously! However, I'm a biased VM resident who enjoys my time in residency. I'll pass on what I tell everyone as they come through here. It's a great place to train and if you're interviewing at VM and the other places you listed, you'll get great training at any of those programs. In anesthesiology, it's certainly a well known program, particularly for regional. On my ICU fellowship interviews the regional training is a topic of conversation wherever I go. Ultimately, go where you think you'll enjoy the fit/had the positive "gut feeling" and in a region you can imagine being long term. The only caveat, fellowship training will open doors in other regions as well so don't consider the East coast to be lost because you did residency in the West. If you're interested in fellowship, don't worry about the name - spend time making yourself a good applicant. I'm interviewing everywhere I wanted to for fellowships and our program is well connected nationally. You won't come away from VM with a name you can drop at parties to impress your non-medical friends. You will come away with great training in a great city with a very resident-friendly environment.

Feel free to PM me any questions, I'll answer honestly.

I know i will rank it highly, just not sure where yet. Definitely aware that VM is strong in regional, but ive interviewed at several places who claim they are nationally known for regional (Cornell has hospital for special surgery, dartmouth claims their regional is ridiculously strong.. etc). Actually VM is so often mentioned for their regional, it makes it a bit concerned about the rest.. CT, peds, neuro, transplant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately it doesn't matter - you will get well trained anywhere. Seriously, that is very true. I know you don't believe this - but seriously, it doesn't matter - everywhere people get good experience and the opportunity to be well trained. I have worked at a place for many years (navy hospital) that recieves recent grads from ALL OVER. I have seen a lot of new grads - and guess what? They all are great (and if they aren't it had nothing to do with the program). They all know how to do what needs to be done, etc.

Pick somewhere where the residents are happy and aren't over-worked. That is probably what matters the most. Overworked residents don't come out better anesthesiologists - just unhappy anesthesiologist - a lot of programs can't seem to figure that out.

Now - how do figure out how residents are happy? Hopefully they will tell you the truth. Also, be weary of any resident that says "yeah, this program is okay." That is a bad sign - and the program likely sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually VM is so often mentioned for their regional, it makes it a bit concerned about the rest.. CT, peds, neuro, transplant?

Only thing we don't do is livers/hearts/lungs transplant. Plenty of kidneys and kidney+panc. Peds is at Seattle Children's and loaded with sick kids. In one month (so far) I've done my fair share of sick neonates and other syndromic kids. We have a new influx of intracranial vascular procedures and plenty of cranis for rumors as well as spike fusions. We also tend toward the top in volume of cardiac cases. The regional comes from having private orthopedists who like blocks and have high volume/rapid turnover therefore whereas your usual training program doesn't have the efficiency to facilitate neuraxial techniques for all total joints and even many outpatients, we do. As does HSS and some other specific ortho hospitals.

I'll echo what others have said, all of these programs are great and will prepare you for the real world. If you want to do ultra complex hearts, you're gonna need a fellowship these days anyway. If you want to do straightforward neuro/cardiac/peds etc, any of those programs will have you set.

Reactions: 1 user