Rank Order List [2013-2014]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMsoon2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would make the annual rank order list thread since we are now t-minus 1 month out from the rank list submission date.

This is the place where everyone can post as much of their rank list as they are comfortable sharing (full list or top 3 or 5 +/- pro/cons for programs they ranked) and for relevant discussions about the lists. To help future EM applicants out, a generalization of your stats (step 1/2, clerkship grades, EM rotations) appeared to be helpful in the past as well.

Edit: You may PM lists to TimesNewRoman who will post them anonymously on you behalf.

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I figured I would make the annual rank order list thread since we are now t-minus 1 month out from the rank list submission date.

This is the place where everyone can post as much of their rank list as they are comfortable sharing (full list or top 3 or 5 +/- pro/cons for programs they ranked) and for relevant discussions about the lists. To help future EM applicants out a generalization of your stats (step 1/2, clerkship grades, EM rotations) appeared to be helpful in the past as well.

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:
If we're going to get started on this thing now then someone should probably step in and offer to post anonymous submissions for the group as well as you know many (most, if last couple years means anything) people will want to remain anonymous. I will/would do it but since I am also hoping to match this season I don't know how comfortable people would be sending me (in theory, their competition) their list but the open offer stands... if you want someone to make an anonymous post of your rank list for you just message me your list. If not me I'm sure someone will chime in soon who's not matching this year who will also do it.

If we're going to get started on this thing now then someone should probably step in and offer to post anonymous submissions for the group as well as you know many (most, if last couple years means anything) people will want to remain anonymous. I will/would do it but since I am also hoping to match this season I don't know how comfortable people would be sending me (in theory, their competition) their list but the open offer stands... if you want someone to make an anonymous post of your rank list for you just message me your list. If not me I'm sure someone will chime in soon who's not matching this year who will also do it.

You got it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks QuackaDO for catching my oversight and for TimesNewRoman for stepping up to help us with this! I started this year's thread now, since last year's started to have activity pick up around this time.

I have edited my original message to indicate TimesNewRoman's name as the primary person to PM for anonymous submissions.

Nobody yet? :)

I'll post mine as soon as I figure it out! lol

anonymous

1. I'm a MD applicant who is probably average or below average. I applied very broadly and would be ecstatic to match in my top 3 but happy to match anywhere. My rank list was decided ~50% based on my subjective/gut feeling about the program, ~25% on location and ~25% based on more objective things like curriculum, reputation, special opportunities, and moonlighting.
    1. Ohio State - The biggest selling points for me were the residents and the city of Columbus/OSU. I walked away from the pre-interview dinner knowing this was the best fit for me. Additionally all the faculty seem pretty down to earth and they have a strong peds and US emphasis. The only downside to this program is Ohio doesn't have the best winters. Although they do send you to Hawaii for a month.
    2. Palmetto Health - This place has the nicest faculty and PD on the trail. They also have a strong US program and have a great overall reputation. Also the PD made it clear that you can do any international medicine electives you want. Additionally they had good moonlight opportunities. The only downside is Columbia is a little small for me and there isn't a ton of stuff to do. Also like OSU they also send you to Hawaii for a month.
    3. Christiana - They seemed to have a much better curriculum than most. It consists of a half day of didactics a week plus a morning report/conference every morning. Additionally they seemed to get paid more than most EM programs and had awesome benefits. It is third on my list because I don't know much about Delaware and I am unsure what it would be like to live there.
    4. Carilion/ Virginia Tech - This program is relatively new but seems to have already gone through any "growing pains" and has a good curriculum. There aren't many other residencies in the hospital and the EM residents seem confident in their abilities. Also they get scribes for PGY-2 and PGY-3 which I thought was awesome. The downside is Roanoke is a little small for me and they aren't as well established as other programs.
    5. Wright State - Lots of hospitals and attendings to learn from....however, it didn't seem super academic and dayton ohio isn't an ideal location.
    6. USF - Tampa is awesome and it was the nicest ED/hospital I have ever seen, but they seem to work many more hours per month than any other program. Additionally they don't have very good moonlighting.
    7. LSU - Shreveport - Amazing moonlighting. Fit very well with the people but not sold on the location.
    8. ECU - Solid program, however, it seemed to be a better fit for someone who was married and wanted to live in a rural area.
    9. Florida Hospital - Very nice PD and a brand new ED. The only reason this is #9 is that there is no level 1 trauma experience (they only rotate at a level 2 for 1 month a year). This worried me because I want to see the sickest patients in residency.
    10. St. Johns - This program surprised me. It had a great mix of patients and a nice ED. There was internal moonlighting available and everyone was friendly. However, I'd prefer to not live in Detroit.
    11. CMU (Saginaw MI) - The residents were very friendly and it seemed like a solid program. Again this got pushed down the list based on location.
    12. Kalamazoo MI - The PD is a leader in EM and seemed to really know how to run a residency. Also they really have a strong EMS emphasis. However, I didn't fit with the residents as well and the city of Kalamazoo left a lot to be desired.
    13. LSU - Baton Rouge - The residents seem to have a lot of fun outside of the hospital and they just moved into a newer hospital. However, I got a bad vibe during the interview day. The main powerpoint wasn't done by the PD....but by the PC. And it seemed to just show how much they drank. I like to party as much as the next EM hopeful but I expected them to sell the program not 'just' the social atmosphere to me.
    14. Buffalo - They had nice EDs and this cool SUV with lights + sirens you drive around during your EMS month. However, they get too much snow for me and the city seemed a little small.
    15. Sinai Grace - You most likely would get the highest volume of penetrating trauma of probably anywhere in the country....however, the patient population didn't seem to be very typical of a 'normal ED' (all very low income urban). Also I got a weird vibe from the PD and I don't want to live in Detroit.
    16. University of Missouri - This program has a lot of potential. The leadership is very nice and the PD has ran at least one residency program in the past. However, I think any new program is going to have "growing pains" and I'd prefer my training not be the test run. Additionally the ED was the smallest on the trail and Columbia MO isn't my ideal location.
    Declined interviews from:
    Akron, Toledo, Detroit Receiving, West Virginia, Dartmouth, and Penn State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I think what would help more than rank lists would be rank lists with explanations. A list without some explanation is meaningless. If you love a place because its location, curriculum, residents/attendings, perceived strength of education, academic strengths, research, academic/comm/county, etc.

I know that I personally put programs that I thought weren't as good over programs I thought were stronger because of location.

Good luck all.

I'll post mine here with explanations once I get it sorted out.

Can't believe we're less than 2 months away... insanity!

anonymous
  1. Ohio State
  2. Palmetto Health
  3. Christiana
  4. Carilion/ Virginia Tech
  5. Wright State
  6. USF
  7. LSU - Shreveport
  8. ECU
  9. Florida Hospital
  10. St. Johns
  11. CMU (Saginaw MI)
  12. Kalamazoo MI
  13. LSU - Baton Rouge
  14. Buffalo
  15. Sinai Grace
  16. University of Missouri

Congratulations to whomever list this is. I'm impressed that you already have your list completed. Good luck in the match!

I still have a couple left but yeah... it's getting close to time to start drafting these up. Interviewed with a guy last Thursday who said he had FIVE interviews left still... that's insane and I thought I was stretching it out to the finish by still having two, lol! Hopefully be able to form a decent list here soon and thanks TimesNewRoman for offering up the assistance to the thread!

I want to see the DO's lists! I know you guys are done ranking :D

Unless they are doing ACGME match only... which from all the people I've talked to that are DOs this year it seems to be a lot (maybe even the majority).

Unless they are doing ACGME match only... which from all the people I've talked to that are DOs this year it seems to be a lot (maybe even the majority).

Yea, it is crazy how many people want to do EM this year! Even people who have been shooting for another residency for years have switched over to pursue it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, it is crazy how many people want to do EM this year! Even people who have been shooting for another residency for years have switched over to pursue it...
I switched over from something I thought I wanted to do for years at basically the 11th hour

1. NSLIJ EM/IM - Tied with Maryland right now. Close to home, great benefits, had a good vibe during the interview day.
2. Umaryland EM/IM - Best EM and IM programs from the EM/IM list IMO. Biggest negative is location
3. Downstate EM/IM - No 6th year critical care option
4. NYU - Did away here. Loved it
5. St. Luke's - Was tied with NYU but I want both a more academic and clinical powerhouse
6. Jacobi - close to home, good city hospital vs private. sick patients. good benefits. liked the pd
7. Downstate-liked the PD, great training and well known in region
8. Orlando Regional - loved location, weather and residents tied for Happiness with St. Luke's
9. UMaryland - Don't like location but 3yr program and awesome reputation
10. Stony Brook - getting Dr. Weingart, interesting in CC
11. Lincoln - Disorganized interview day and if it were a 3yr program, I'd rank it much higher. Very Busy program
The Rest: LIJ EM, UCONN, NorthShore, Maimonides, Methodist, Brooklyn, Staten Island
-------
Open for suggestions or critique. My goal is for an academic career and I want a place with a good academic reputation and great clinical training.

You ask and you shall receive:

Anonymous DO rank list
1. Oakwood
2. Henry ford wyandotte
3. Midwestern (CCOM)
4. Botsford
5. Lakeland
6. Doctors

DO list. I didn't write explanations, but am planning to post proper reviews after the match. Geographic preferences weighed heavily and I left out my bottom three.

1. Metro Hospital-Grand Rapids, MI
2. Kent Hospital-Warwick, RI
3. Conemaugh Memorial-Johnstown, PA
4. Henry Ford Wyandotte-Wyandotte, MI
5. St Joseph-Warren, OH
6. UH-Regional-Richmond Heights, OH
7. Marietta Memorial Hospital, Marietta, OH
8. OVMC- Wheeling, WV

Will post full explanation and reviews in the osteo EM thread after the match. Left off the bottom part of my list..

1 Sparrow
2 Genesys
3 Metro
4 Lehigh Valley
5 Doctors
6 Botsford
7 Lakeland
8 Allegiance
9 Henry Ford Wyandotte
10 Oakwood

You ask and you shall receive:

Anonymous DO rank list
1. Oakwood
2. Henry ford wyandotte
3. Midwestern (CCOM)
4. Botsford
5. Lakeland
6. Doctors

Thank you kindly! (God, I'm such a match nerd. I love this stuff.)

Once again: I so wish I could have applied to the DO match, just because these locations are just perfect for me. (IMG caribbean MD grad).

I loved my program, and I loved my training, but maaan, being close to family and 'home'... nothing better.

hate you guys.

love you guys.

good luck.

Another DO list... will post reviews and such later in the Osteo program thread:

1) Lehigh Valley Health Network
2) St. Lucie Medical Center
3) Kent Hospital
4) Conemaugh Regional Medical Center
5) Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
6) St. Joseph's Hospital Paterson
7) Good Samaritan West Islip
8) St. John's Medical Center Westlake
9) Southern Ohio Medical Center

Would have put Rowan/Kennedy at 6 or 7, but was informed that I was ranked for their TRI program instead of EM.

1. NSLIJ EM/IM - Tied with Maryland right now. Close to home, great benefits, had a good vibe during the interview day.
2. Umaryland EM/IM - Best EM and IM programs from the EM/IM list IMO. Biggest negative is location
3. Downstate EM/IM - No 6th year critical care option
4. NYU - Did away here. Loved it
5. St. Luke's - Was tied with NYU but I want both a more academic and clinical powerhouse
6. Jacobi - close to home, good city hospital vs private. sick patients. good benefits. liked the pd
7. Downstate-liked the PD, great training and well known in region
8. Orlando Regional - loved location, weather and residents tied for Happiness with St. Luke's
9. UMaryland - Don't like location but 3yr program and awesome reputation
10. Stony Brook - getting Dr. Weingart, interesting in CC
11. Lincoln - Disorganized interview day and if it were a 3yr program, I'd rank it much higher. Very Busy program
The Rest: LIJ EM, UCONN, NorthShore, Maimonides, Methodist, Brooklyn, Staten Island
-------
Open for suggestions or critique. My goal is for an academic career and I want a place with a good academic reputation and great clinical training.

Hmm if this person has any questions about NSLIJ EM/IM they can PM me.

I still have a couple left but yeah... it's getting close to time to start drafting these up. Interviewed with a guy last Thursday who said he had FIVE interviews left still... that's insane and I thought I was stretching it out to the finish by still having two, lol! Hopefully be able to form a decent list here soon and thanks TimesNewRoman for offering up the assistance to the thread!
Was this at UIC last week?

That burger the night before moved them up on my list.

Nothing can beat North Shore's tapas & sangria. I just might have to apply for their fellowships & hope for the same dinner!

9. UMaryland - Don't like location but 3yr program and awesome reputation.
As a categorical at UMD, I can answer any questions about our programs (or find someone who can). Feel free to PM me.

If location is an issue, I'll tell you I thought it would be one when I was considering my ROL. As it turns out, there are plenty if safe, fun, and cheap places to stay and things to do in Baltimore. Yes, the city has a rep, but as a physician in training, you'll want to see the breadth of pathology that comes with that rep. And if you have family elsewhere, it's a quick trip from Bawlmer via Bolt Bus/train/BWI to anywhere.

Myself: Competitive candidate from a mid-tier MD school in the Midwest, previously lived on the West Coast (but originally from the Midwest), mostly interested in county programs or programs that take care of county-style patients—obviously my list reflects what is right for me, and I have some awesome programs lower on my list just because they’re not the right fit.

1. LAC+ USCpros: inspiring patient population, mission driven institution, huge volume, department has lots of autonomy within the hospital, amazing faculty, location, they run their own traumas cons: location (living in LA is a hassle), medical Spanish is a must (and something I’ll have to work on!), salary on the lower end, have to do electives at LAC to get paid
2. Highland pros: residents are very tight knit and happy, emphasis on resident wellness, ultrasound, ortho, Bay Area, still able to get funding for international or offsite electives, rotate at other big name institutions cons: cost of living, trauma surgery runs traumas, small hospital for the volume they see
3. UWpros: Harborview and the ethos of service there, very happy residents, department chair, unique patient population, EMS, how progressive Seattle is cons: Seattle weather, very new program, what is really going to happen to their graduates?
4. Harborpros: a lot like USC, faculty, lots of teaching, new facility, location; cons: more of an angry patient population, generally had a weird vibe from the faculty and residents (This is a program I really wanted to like, and I was disappointed that I didn’t)
5. Denverpros: I don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said a million times. As far as I’m concerned it’s the perfect program on paper. Especially love the EMS and wilderness medicine opportunities there cons: residents work their butts off, I’d be uncomfortable with so little supervision, paper charting, Denver is too cold for me, met a few unfriendly residents while I was there (another program I was determine to love and just...couldn't)
6. Maricopapros: runs very well for a county hospital with lots of resources and not much boarding, very smart faculty, ultrasound/Dr. Wu, residents are very tight knit, professional translators readily available 24/7 cons: I get the feeling that people don’t enjoy serving the patient population, not enough trauma (too many trauma centers in Phoenix now), seems like the residents are a little older and mostly coupled/married/with families (not where I’m at in my life)
7 through 10. UCLA/Olive View, UCSD, Stanford, OHSU. All amazing programs but essentially too academic for my taste.
Rest: Fresno, Davis, UNM, Kaiser San Diego. Basically located in places where I don’t want to live. Exception is Kaiser, which will undoubtedly be a great program in a few years, but I don’t feel like being a guinea pig.

It's very possible that #1 and #2 might switch positions (more than once...) between now and Feb. 26. I'd be happy to hear from anyone that thinks I'm way off on my assessments. Good luck to everyone else matching this year! It's been fun meeting you guys on the trail :)

Steps: 230s, EM: HP/H, EM research (no pub), traditional applicant, some cool volunteering gigs, great ERAS pic:happy:
1) Duke (+: Energetic PD, interesting tracks...not all residents participate, family in the area, mild winters while still having all 4 seasons, work Duke bball games!; -: Medicine ward month, unsure of: how fun Durham is for a single guy/any hidden shortcomings of EM being a division under Sx/implications of having UNC so close by/peds experience)
2) UPenn (+: Great resources, fun PD & residents, CHOP experience, numerous electives to tailor your experience; -: 4 yrs, 12h shifts all of PGY1&2 + some of PGY3, no longitudinal peds first 2 yrs)
3) UMass (+: Very approachable PD/receptive to resident-feedback, Hawaii, great conf funding, excellent U/S exp, great research opportunities; -: Man, Worcester is kind of a drabby cold place...although Beantown's 40mins away...but again its cold and may lead to seasonal affective d/o lol)
4) Christiana (+: Some of the friendliest residents I've met, tons of procedures 2/2 not having every specialty under the roof, I've had residents at other interviews mention how awesome xtiana is!; -: Not the biggest fan of Delaware.
5) UVA (+: Fun residents, tracks, Charlottesville is a total college town-- kinda secluded but beautiful; -: Unsure how fun Charlottesville is...although I do hear there's tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, PD was a hybrid of cool/awkward, ED condition bit subpar...new ED won't be completed till 2017, ?send PGY1 & 2s to SAEM+ACEP unlike most places where seniors go)
6) Maine (+: Good seafood, great program, awesome outdoorsy stuff like white water rafting, moose-tipping, etc.; -: Kinda secluded/no family around, not a fan of harsh winters)
7) UF-Gainesville (+: Very positive interview experience, fun residents, work Gator games; -: Can't think of any besides maybe long & humid summers?)
8) Temple (+: Trauma-city if thats your calling, very friendly/supportive faculty and residents, probably the best EM program in Philly; -: Not much patient diversity, not a big fan of North Philly)
9) Robert Wood (+: New program energy, New Brunswick's a cool town with tons of bars/restaurants + Rutgers students around, good U/S exposure; -: 12h shifts)
10-13 (in no particular order): Penn State, MUSC, Dartmouth, Geisinger
Not listing last two...

Top 5 order varies day-to-day. Would love to hear perspectives of others considering same progs/residents at these progs.

Hey I got this email today and I was wondering if i should still rank this program:

Thank you for interviewing with the NYMC Phelps Family Medicine Residency
Program. We appreciate your interest in our program and pursuing a career in
Family Medicine.
Unfortunately, your file was not among those selected for further
consideration.

We wish you all the best during the interview season and beyond.

The NYMC Phelps Family Medicine Residency Program

Hey I got this email today and I was wondering if i should still rank this program:

Family Medicine.
consideration.

Family Medicine.
consideration.

1) Wrong thread
2) Wrong forum
3) Um... what's unclear about that email?

Family Medicine.
consideration.

You've posted this same message twice in EM forums, once in a Pre-dental forum, and once in a forum that was actually geared towards family medicine, but in a thread about running a practice that doesn't take health insurance....

Go home ResidencyCandy, you're drunk.

PS: And to answer your question, they have explicitly told you that you won't match there. Why would you rank them?

Reactions: 1 users
You've posted this same message twice in EM forums, once in a Pre-dental forum, and once in a forum that was actually geared towards family medicine, but in a thread about running a practice that doesn't take health insurance....

Go home ResidencyCandy, you're drunk.

PS: And to answer your question, they have explicitly told you that you won't match there. Why would you rank them?

I'm beginning to wonder what his PhD is in.

Steps: 230s, EM: HP/H, EM research (no pub), traditional applicant, some cool volunteering gigs, great ERAS pic:happy:
1) Duke (+: Energetic PD, interesting tracks...not all residents participate, family in the area, mild winters while still having all 4 seasons, work Duke bball games!; -: Medicine ward month, unsure of: how fun Durham is for a single guy/any hidden shortcomings of EM being a division under Sx/implications of having UNC so close by/peds experience)
2) UPenn (+: Great resources, fun PD & residents, CHOP experience, numerous electives to tailor your experience; -: 4 yrs, 12h shifts all of PGY1&2 + some of PGY3, no longitudinal peds first 2 yrs)
3) UMass (+: Very approachable PD/receptive to resident-feedback, Hawaii, great conf funding, excellent U/S exp, great research opportunities; -: Man, Worcester is kind of a drabby cold place...although Beantown's 40mins away...but again its cold and may lead to seasonal affective d/o lol)
4) Christiana (+: Some of the friendliest residents I've met, tons of procedures 2/2 not having every specialty under the roof, I've had residents at other interviews mention how awesome xtiana is!; -: Not the biggest fan of Delaware.
5) UVA (+: Fun residents, tracks, Charlottesville is a total college town-- kinda secluded but beautiful; -: Unsure how fun Charlottesville is...although I do hear there's tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, PD was a hybrid of cool/awkward, ED condition bit subpar...new ED won't be completed till 2017, ?send PGY1 & 2s to SAEM+ACEP unlike most places where seniors go)
6) Maine (+: Good seafood, great program, awesome outdoorsy stuff like white water rafting, moose-tipping, etc.; -: Kinda secluded/no family around, not a fan of harsh winters)
7) UF-Gainesville (+: Very positive interview experience, fun residents, work Gator games; -: Can't think of any besides maybe long & humid summers?)
8) Temple (+: Trauma-city if thats your calling, very friendly/supportive faculty and residents, probably the best EM program in Philly; -: Not much patient diversity, not a big fan of North Philly)
9) Robert Wood (+: New program energy, New Brunswick's a cool town with tons of bars/restaurants + Rutgers students around, good U/S exposure; -: 12h shifts)
Not listing last two...

Top 5 order varies day-to-day. Would love to hear perspectives of others considering same progs/residents at these progs.
The faculty and residents at UF are fantastic and the ED is beautiful. I've spent a lot of time there, so let me know if you have questions.

Me: Would rather remain as anon as possible until match, so let's just say I'm a competitive MD applicant.

This is my list so far, although I could see some movement within tiers happening still. Would love to match at any of my top 8.

1/2 (in no particular order):
UNC-
Pros: Awesome, renowned faculty (Tintanelli) who are some of the best, but still very humble and personable. Location cannot be beaten. Loved split between WakeMed (community) and UNC (academic center). Cons: Commute: 40 minutes distance between two training sites, although residents didn't seem bothered by it. Parking is like 70 bucks a month at UNC.

Duke-
Pros: Faculty were very nice, excited. I feel like the Duke name alone is never a bad thing to have on your resume'. Location, like UNC, cannot be beaten. Cons: Not as much community exposure; peds exposure also not as good as other places I saw. I've heard mixed reviews about some of their off service rotations, i.e. they take place in really solid, reputable departments, but can be a bit rough to get through.

3/4:
tOSU
- Pros: had genuine great time with residents at dinner...plenty of laughter and good stories. Faculty were equally as nice and personable. Strong peds (even though in blocks), strong u/s, great reputation. I love how everyone is into Ohio State sports in the city. Cons: Location not ideal and cold, although Columbus is best of Midwest IMO. Trauma exposure seemed weaker than average.

Loma Linda-
Pros: Some of the nicest people I met on the interview trail. Genuine focus on resident well-being. Great international experiences. Love the split between working in county hosp. and academic center. Great moonlighting experiences. Cons: Some would say location in the IE is a con (not me, really). Facilities a tad old and cramped.

5/6:
U Maryland-
Pros: I got the impression that this was one of the most well-put together training programs that I encountered. Excellent didactics, tons of exposure to trauma (shock trauma) and the sickest of patients. They were also confident of their ability to get residents jobs in even the toughest of markets, based on their reputation and alumni network--huge selling point for me. Cons: Baltimore not my ideal location, although really not as bad as people imagine it if you live 15 minutes toward DC. Also did not like having to commute to Children's National for peds exposure (although it is a great hospital to train at).

Wake Forest-
Pros: Like UMD, this program is very fined tuned and designed to churn out competent, sharp residents. Schedule seemed very nice with all 8s and plenty of time off. One of the first EM programs, and I felt like they were one of the dominant residency programs in that hospital. Also, the people there were incredibly nice, and I got a definite feel-good vibe that their residents are well taken care of. Cons: Winston-Salem is getting a little on the remote side, but the positives of that are cheap COL and great access to the outdoors/mountains.

7/8:
VCU-
Pros: Great exposure to the sickest of patients and lots of trauma. Residents had done tons of procedures and seen a lot of crazy stuff. New ED will be completed soon and will be very nice to work in. Richmond is a great-sized city with decent COL and is a few hours from the ocean, DC, and the mountains. Cons: 12 hour shifts (although the residents said that they switched to 10s for a period and they all wanted to go back to 12s).

San Antonio- Pros: Young, energetic faculty who are very personable and excited about getting this program up and running. San Antonio is a great location: good climate, nice city with tons to do, Texas very physician friendly. Brand, spanking new ED and critical care hospital that will be up and running by intern year. Lots of Spanish-speaking patients (pro for me). Cons: New program, a lot of stuff still getting figured out, although this is almost a pro for me as I wouldn't mind being part of the building process and to have a hand in that. The only thing that worries me about the newness of the program is reputation and being able to land the job I want after residency.

9-12- Will not list here...great programs that I'm sure I could be happy and well-trained at, but just didn't get those warm feelings like I did with the others.

Not listing last two...

Great list of great programs and you will come out of any of them well prepared. Just as an FYI, I am currently at Penn and we no longer do only 12s in the first 2 years. Below is actually a response we wrote to an applicants' question regarding ED time. Hopefully this clarifies the shift breakdown. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

"Our shift schedule is rather complex as it is designed to both be circadian and allow for overlapping shifts to minimize signout hassles. We work 18 shifts per month every year. As interns, we work a mix of 10 and 11 hour shifts, with occasional 12 hour weekend shifts (to decrease the number of weekends). As EM2s, we work 10s and 11s. During the first two years, we do 8 8-hour CHOP shifts in 2 week blocks distributed throughout the year. As EM3s, we have both 10 and 8 hour shifts. And as EM4s, they're all 8 hours. As EM3s and EM4s, we have integrated 8 hour CHOP shifts during all of our EM months (2-3 as EM3 and 3-4 as EM4. Our shifts at CHOP as an EM3/4 are all in a senior/supervisory role with no fellow on our team. We're the only residents, including CHOP Peds residents and other EM residents in the city, who rotate at CHOP in this role."

Bump!! Need more ROLs!

Bump! I want to see where people are placing my program!

Bump! I want to see where people are placing my program!

Probs just below In and Out.

Give it another few weeks, a bunch of lists will probably be posted the day or two after ROLs are due.

Burger. It is, by a large margin, the best program. Probably shows up in several of the stickied threads.
You misspelled it (sorta). It's called In-N-Out BurgER program and it's world renowned to give the best training and overall experience needed.

Me: decently competitive applicant from a west-coast school. 3yr preference. Overall "feel" of the program was #1 for me, followed by other factors such as location, reputation, etc. Still flip-flopping between #1 and #2 positions; here's my top 5

1.) Vandy: (+) Best education I encountered on the trail, very resident centered. Thought they were going to be stuffy, but the people there are extremely laid back and easy to talk to. Good training environment and diverse mix of patient populations (i.e. not all "ivory tower", they are the functioning county hospital for Nashville). Outstanding reputation. Fit in well with the residents at dinner. (-) not too certain about living in Nashville

2.) Baylor: (+) Fun program. Ben Taub patient population, Baylor name and reputation, PD was energetic and a real leader. Though it's a newer program, I'm sure it's gonna go places in the near future, and it would be cool to go with it. Houston would be my #1 choice as far as location. (-) Still in its infancy as a program, 12hr weekend shifts, EM is still a Division of Medicine

3.) Loma Linda: (+) rotated here. one of the few 3yr CA programs. some of the nicest people on the trail. PD is genuine and a blast to work with. Strong training and great peds exposure. moonlighting in 2nd year with good opportunities. close to family. Dirt cheap CoL for CA. (-) not the biggest fan of the IE. facilities could use an update. didn't seem to mesh as well with the residents as at other places.

4.) U. Michigan: (+) Great academic institution, but manages to be quite resident-centered. Best interview schwag (trauma shears), big focus on life outside residency and keeping balanced. The one program that really sold the 4th year as beneficial, not just tolerable. (-) snow/ice. far away from everyone. maybe a little too cushy. limited exposure to "county" population, which I would miss

5.) Highland: (+) Another outstanding program, Highland rep, PD and aPD were both energetic and seemed like they would be a blast to work with. Bay area, hyphy music. close to family. (-) didn't feel that much of a spark with the faculty I interviewed with. Unsure of strength of off-service rotations. Bay area CoL. 4yr program

Honorable Mention: Emory, UCSF-SFGH, Denver, UAB