Rank the Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a relatively new school, but much more importantly - it's IN EL PASO.
Hahaha I understand; I currently live in El Paso. Everybody hates it here except for those born and raised. It's a real shame, because Paul L. Foster impressed me the most out of all the schools I've interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha I understand; I currently live in El Paso. Everybody hates it here except for those born and raised. It's a real shame, because Paul L. Foster impressed me the most out of all the schools I've interviewed at.
Yeah I agree with that. I visited there once and it's a city surrounded by desert. :|
It's not at all surprising that the major cities with a whole lot of science infrastructure, biotech, top hospital institutions will have better opportunities and thus will be more coveted by medical students.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not at all surprising that the major cities with a whole lot of science infrastructure, biotech, top hospital institutions will have better opportunities and thus will be more coveted by medical students.
While Paul L. Foster doesn't have a ton of science infrastructure, top hospitals, etc., I consider one of the benefits of the school is its patient population. It seemed that studying medicine in El Paso is like studying medicine in a third-world country--you can see all stages of disease progression and different disease pathologies that students at other schools won't see.
Just out of curiosity, if the location weren't an issue, which of these aspects (advanced science/medical infrastructure versus diverse patient population) would be most important when selecting a medical school? (My apologies if the question is irrelevant to this post--I'm in the middle of the application process and I'm trying to figure out which school attributes will lead to the best education).

While Paul L. Foster doesn't have a ton of science infrastructure, top hospitals, etc., I consider one of the benefits of the school is its patient population. It seemed that studying medicine in El Paso is like studying medicine in a third-world country--you can see all stages of disease progression and different disease pathologies that students at other schools won't see.
Just out of curiosity, if the location weren't an issue, which of these aspects (advanced science/medical infrastructure versus diverse patient population) would be most important when selecting a medical school? (My apologies if the question is irrelevant to this post--I'm in the middle of the application process and I'm trying to figure out which school attributes will lead to the best education).
With that type of reasoning, why not go to a medical school in the inner city of Chicago? Seriously, you sound like a brownnoser medical student who does med school applicant tours (not to be mean). EVERY MED SCHOOL says that they get exposure to such vast disease pathology. It's not really something you can objectively quantify.

Part of why the city has such a huge impact on you as a medical student is the opportunities available to rotate at top institutions, big name letter writers (rotating or doing research with them), or taking part in research (whether it's NIH basic science or clinical research). Having these opportunities and taking a part in them, helps you on your applications when you apply to residency, esp. if you are thinking of going for something that might be competitive.

With that type of reasoning, why not go to a medical school in the inner city of Chicago? Seriously, you sound like a brownnoser medical student who does med school applicant tours (not to be mean). EVERY MED SCHOOL says that they get exposure to such vast disease pathology. It's not really something you can objectively quantify.

Part of why the city has such a huge impact on you as a medical student is the opportunities available to rotate at top institutions, big name letter writers (rotating or doing research with them), or taking part in research (whether it's NIH basic science or clinical research). Having these opportunities and taking a part in them, helps you on your applications when you apply to residency, esp. if you are thinking of going for something that might be competitive.

Thanks for the information. Part of why this sort of exposure is important to me is because I want to work in medically underserved areas. I'm new at this and don't have anybody to ask, so my apologies if my questions sound ignorant.

Thanks for the information. Part of why this sort of exposure is important to me is because I want to work in medically underserved areas. I'm new at this and don't have anybody to ask, so my apologies if my questions sound ignorant.
But again. You don't have to go to a medical school in an underserved area to work with patients in an underserved area, esp. once you're an attending. All medical schools tend to be in areas that serve the underserved, esp. in more inner cities. They're usually not found in quaint suburbia.

Yeah Houston has tons of medically underserved patients at Ben Taub. They're not farmers, but they are immigrants and low socioeconomic patients.

Some of the same people arguing Foster should be ranked lower b/c El Paso is a smaller city without the resources/infrastructure of Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio... are ranking places like Lubbock higher. Folks, I know El Paso isn't Houston, but it is still a major city by most US standards and access to several large hospitals including a significant military teaching hospital (Beaumont). I'm not saying El Paso is stronger than Baylor or SW....but to argue El Paso is dead last because it is "in El Paso" seems a somewhat ill-informed conclusion.

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity, why are y'all ranking Texas Tech Paul L. Foster in El Paso so low? I recently interviewed there and was really impressed by the curriculum and facilities.

There's a certain degree of unknown with going to a new school. That's not to say that it's doomed to be bad by any means, but there's no history with the institution thus you (and residency programs) have no real idea of what the training is like. And, as @DermViser mentioned, it's in El Paso. Plenty of people wig out at being in Texas, even in the bigger cities (Dallas, Houston, and now Austin). I imagine El Paso is pretty much a non-starter for most people.

As a proud Texan, and the priority I am going to use when I apply:

1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. Houston
4. Dell
5. Everyone else
99. Every school in Carribean
100. Being a math teacher
101. Texas A&M

I kid I kid. Mostly I wanted to say I would go to UTSW over Baylor since UTSW has so many quality hospitals basically all to itself - of all kinds too! Baylor has less variety and even though the TMC is an awesome place, I'm from Houston and I could still do rotations at the hospitals there.

Hence the illogic of 'ranking' generically -- They're all really good to great schools. Go where you feel you will succeed most.

For those of you ranking UTSW below Baylor: Is that rank considering the fact that UTSW is moving to a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum that is essentially just like Baylor's and that UTSW is going to have 2 brand new hospitals open in the next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you ranking UTSW below Baylor: Is that rank considering the fact that UTSW is moving to a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum that is essentially just like Baylor's and that UTSW is going to have 2 brand new hospitals open in the next year?
I always would give Baylor a slight edge when thinking about the two, but after interviewing at UTSW, idk. Two new hospitals and a great looking curriculum makes it very hard.

I think they're both good schools with equal rankings, but I would definitely prefer Houston over Dallas b/c I like Houston as a city more.

I always would give Baylor a slight edge when thinking about the two, but after interviewing at UTSW, idk. Two new hospitals and a great looking curriculum makes it very hard.

Have you interviewed at Baylor?

Have you interviewed at Baylor?
Yeah. I hate to say I wasn't blown away by Baylor, but it's sorta true. I wish they would have done a better job selling themselves, so I would have more to compare.

Is there no Republic of Texas thread this year? haha We should make one!

As a proud Texan, and the priority I am going to use when I apply:

1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. Houston
4. Dell
5. Everyone else
99. Every school in Carribean
100. Being a math teacher
101. Texas A&M

I kid I kid. Mostly I wanted to say I would go to UTSW over Baylor since UTSW has so many quality hospitals basically all to itself - of all kinds too! Baylor has less variety and even though the TMC is an awesome place, I'm from Houston and I could still do rotations at the hospitals there.
Why did you rank A&M so low?

Why did you rank A&M so low?

Perhaps he/she is unaware of the curriculum changes, the no longer split campuses, the option to do clinical years at various locations, and the value of training at Scott&White. I would actually only rank Baylor, UTSW, and UT-Houston above A&M.

EDIT: Actually, upon reading the post, the individual probably attends UT Austin (A&M's rival) and ranked A&M so low in jest haha

Perhaps he/she is unaware of the curriculum changes, the no longer split campuses, the option to do clinical years at various locations, and the value of training at Scott&White. I would actually only rank Baylor, UTSW, and UT-Houston above A&M.

EDIT: Actually, upon reading the post, the individual probably attends UT Austin (A&M's rival) and ranked A&M so low in jest haha
Thanks! Yeah I really like A&M so I was wondering why it would be ranked 101 lol

LMAOOO New York only has four state schools!! Then 4 privates with impossibly high standards, 3 normal middle tiers, and 2 bottom tiers that screen out mid-high stats. And 2 (or 3? Does Touro Middletown count?) DO schools. It's tough for us New Yorkers.

Can you elaborate on this? Are the 4 with impossibly high standards Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, and NYU? Are you considering Einstein a middle tier? If so, what are the other 2 normal middle tiers and low tiers?

Can you elaborate on this? Are the 4 with impossibly high standards Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, and NYU? Are you considering Einstein a middle tier? If so, what are the other 2 normal middle tiers and low tiers?

I would consider Einstein middle tier.

It was kind of off the cuff but yes. Hofstra and Rochester were the other two middle tiers I was thinking of. Albany and NYMC didn't even grant me an interview so I don't know what their deal is but people seem to think they're low tier.

I would rank UTSW higher then Baylor. Even though they may have slightly lower STEP 1 scores; they don't teach towards step 1 the same way. Also placement wise UTSW is among the best in Texas, but that doesn't matter to me because I want to stay in Dallas/Fort Worth as long as possible. Besides UTSW, A&M has been the best place I've interviewed at. Still haven't done UTHSCSA or El Paso/Foster yet (next month).

I would rank UTSW higher then Baylor. Even though they may have slightly lower STEP 1 scores; they don't teach towards step 1 the same way. Also placement wise UTSW is among the best in Texas, but that doesn't matter to me because I want to stay in Dallas/Fort Worth as long as possible. Besides UTSW, A&M has been the best place I've interviewed at. Still haven't done UTHSCSA or El Paso/Foster yet (next month).

How do you come to the conclusion that their match list/placement is better? Not challenging your comment, but I don't know how to properly evaluate match lists, so I'm interested in hearing how you came to that conclusion.

If it comes to it, choosing between UTSW and Baylor will literally be the hardest decision I'll ever have to make.

If it comes to it, choosing between UTSW and Baylor will literally be the hardest decision I'll ever have to make.
I think we all hope that we can make that decision come next year. :)

This is maybe one of the best problems you could have

Would you consider both NYU and Sinai to be top tier?

I personally view Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Penn, etc. in a tier of their own (Top ~10?). The next tier includes schools like NYU, Sinai, Baylor, UTSW. Vanderbilt, etc. (T ~11-25). Then maybe 25-50 is middle tier in my books. The concept of tiers is so ambiguous that it's really up to how you perceive the schools.

Is there a Republic of Texas thread for this year? Can we make one if there isn't? Time to start the way-too-early-countdown until pre-match!

Is there a Republic of Texas thread for this year? Can we make one if there isn't? Time to start the way-too-early-countdown until pre-match!
I think you have nominated yourself to start one ;)

I second the Buff OP's rankings outside of maybe swapping SA and Galveston.
IMO there are 3 tiers.
Baylor
SW/Houston/SA/Galveston
El Paso/Lubbock/A&M
Then within these tiers it comes down to preference on location.

Agree with the first three but UTMB has been around forever and has tons of specialties . I would put it fourth and UTSA fifth. The last three are probably all really similar, but I get the feeling Lubbock is slightly better than A&M and El Paso. It's too close to call though.

For those of y'all ranking UTMB over UTSA, what are your reasons for this? I'm just curious because these are my top two choices :)

I believe putting UTSW in the Houston/SA/Galveston tier is ludicrous.

Reactions: 3 users
And TCOM isnt even considered. Go figure.
I'd rank TCOM somewhere in the middle most likely, as an all around good school. When you consider the facilities, the quality of education, the faculty, etc., they are severely under rated. TCOM actually didn't interview me, even though I wish they had. I have worked with several TCOM graduates, and they were rather astute physicians - at least better than some of their colleagues I worked with.

I'd rank TCOM somewhere in the middle most likely, as an all around good school. When you consider the facilities, the quality of education, the faculty, etc., they are severely under rated. TCOM actually didn't interview me, even though I wish they had. I have worked with several TCOM graduates, and they were rather astute physicians - at least better than some of their colleagues I worked with.
I agree. The only reason I didn't apply there is that I want to work internationally, and with the questions about DO approval in other countries, an MD was a safer bet.

The reason they are probably ranked below most other Texas schools mainly has to do with it being a D.O. program. Most students still choose MD programs over DO ones if they have the option to. If TCOM were a MD program, I'm positive it would be in the middle of the pack as you stated because of the facilities, location, program, and faculty.

I agree. The only reason I didn't apply there is that I want to work internationally, and with the questions about DO approval in other countries, an MD was a safer bet.

LOL

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Right. I've met so many students that got accepted to TCOM but went elsewhere ONLY because they're a DO program.

Just to clear up some misconceptions, DOs can work internationally through organizations like Doctors Without Borders (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work-us/work-field/who-we-need/physicians). Some DO schools have international electives.

DOs have practice rights in more than 65 countries (http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx)

Obtaining a license in another country often involves multiple hoops to jump through regardless of whether you are an MD or DO. For instance, only graduates of a few schools can apply for a license in Singapore (in the case of Texas, only Baylor and UTSW grads - http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/dam/hprof/smc/docs/becoming_registered_doctor/Second Schedule - Registrable Basic Medical Qualifications.pdf). To obtain a license in India, you must be a citizen there.

And for the record, I'm not a DO student. I just happened to have researched this thoroughly when I was applying last year.

Right. I've met so many students that got accepted to TCOM but went elsewhere ONLY because they're a DO program.

That's not the only reason, but out of everyone I've spoken to who did choose one of the Texas schools over tcom it was in part because tcom is a D.O. School. Besides, I listed of a number of reasons why TCOM is a great school yet if students chose other schools over it then what do you think may be the main reason?

Just to clear up some misconceptions, DOs can work internationally through organizations like Doctors Without Borders (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work-us/work-field/who-we-need/physicians). Some DO schools have international electives.

DOs have practice rights in more than 65 countries (http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx)

Obtaining a license in another country often involves multiple hoops to jump through regardless of whether you are an MD or DO. For instance, only graduates of a few schools can apply for a license in Singapore (in the case of Texas, only Baylor and UTSW grads - http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/dam/hprof/smc/docs/becoming_registered_doctor/Second Schedule - Registrable Basic Medical Qualifications.pdf). To obtain a license in India, you must be a citizen there.

And for the record, I'm not a DO student. I just happened to have researched this thoroughly when I was applying last year.
Thank you! I have my sights set on Doctors Without Borders or something similar and didn't know that. I guess I should have applied to TCOM.

Ultimately, I am working towards an Infectious Disease specialty and have always wanted to treat patients with emerging viral diseases. Going overseas is part of the package, which is why a stranger laughing at me about working internationally was a little odd.

That's not the only reason, but out of everyone I've spoken to who did choose one of the Texas schools over tcom it was in part because tcom is a D.O. School. Besides, I listed of a number of reasons why TCOM is a great school yet if students chose other schools over it then what do you think may be the main reason?
I'm saying that I know many people that chose other schools ONLY because TCOM was DO, they openly admit that TCOM is a great school, and they say that TCOM is probably better than the school they're at, but they didn't want to go there because of the stigma associated with DO. I'm sure there are people choose not to go there because they'd rather be in the Houston Medical Center, or be associated with a school with reputation like Southwestern, or be closer to their family/friends, etc.

Edit: The people I spoke to include people that went to UNTHSC for their masters and took courses with the same professors that teach med students. They especially praise the anatomy department.